Visiting Thailand every month?

Perhaps this question has been raised before. I'm a little paranoid about this ever since there is a crack down for visa runners on August 2014.

I am a Malaysian, intending to visit my girlfriend in Bangkok every month. On each trip, I am planning to stay there for 20 days (maximum) and then return to Malaysia for 10 days before returning to Thailand again. I will be doing this every month, is there any possibility that this "pattern" will make the IO barred me from entering? If i'm not mistaken, there is a limit of days for tourists to stay in Thailand within a year, right? Is 10 days in my home country enough to justify that I am not a visa runner? should I wait for XX days longer before booking the next flight to Thailand?? Any thoughts about this? Thanks!

I think you might have to show at some point that you earn enough in 10 days to be able to live in Thailand without working for 20.

I'm sure at some point you will asked to show evidence, i.e. how much cash do you have on you, as I believe credit cards etc are not counted.

Providing you can show those, I can't see any reason at all why you shouldn't be allowed in as often as you like.

Thank you for your feedbacks! I run a small company and most of the works are done routinely by my other associates, hence most of my work can be done through my laptop.

By showing proof, I assume I will need to have my bankstatement / salary statement standby ?

I think whatever shows you have enough money on hand in Malaysia, that you don't need to work whilst in Thailand.......my guess.

Your story should be consistent, if you say you work in Malaysia I would think at some point they'd want to see evidence of regular income.

Immigration will never go to the point of checking your income in another country. it's pointless that you carry it.

All what matters is that you're clear to the fact that you come to Thailand to see your GF and do not work in Thailand. Also, you should carry Bt 10,000 or equivalent in hard cash (not cards) in case they want to enforce that aspect of the regulations.

Thank you for your feedbacks! I run a small company and most of the works are done routinely by my other associates, hence most of my work can be done through my laptop.

By showing proof, I assume I will need to have my bankstatement / salary statement standby ?

"hence most of my work can be done through my laptop." - don't tell Immigration you will be doing that in Thailand.

• Like 1

Ahh ok...! I think I should play it safe and try not to repeat the same pattern , or at least space out the gap in between my visits. I definitely carry cash equivalent or more than that value, because I don't usually use credit cards in overseas unless emergency. Regulation is one thing, the other thing is that the real barrier is facing the immigration officer. and speaking of that, most of the time when I travel solo to a country, I often get questioned in the middle of the walkway, I remember in Bangkok two men flipped through my passport and started chuckling! And the most intimidating one was (not in Thailand) "Sir, this is just a random check.. May I know is this your bag?" , "Ahh, No, I carried it on behalf of a passenger whom I just met 5 minutes ago". I wished I said that..

Sorry I digress, ok so back to the topic, I found out that there may be a 180 day block and the maximum I can stay in this block is only 90 days. But anyhow, I might come up with another plan of inviting her over to Malaysia instead.. I think I have all the information/reassurance I need here now.. Wish everyone a great new year! Last but not least, Khob Khun Kap, Yin Dee Di Dai Ru Jak Krap!

One point: if you do spend over 180 days a year in Thailand, I believe you will technically be concidered a resident of Thailand for tax purposes. While this may not directly affect immigration/visas/etc, and I don't think the Thai Revenue Department is know for its strict enforcement of tax laws, it is something to concider in your planning.

No such limits or restrictions. As long as you are returning back within the time frame allowed. You are welcome to visit thailand as many times as you may wish. Just out of curiousity the immigration officer may ask for reason for you to visit Thailand so frequently.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"hence most of my work can be done through my laptop." - don't tell Immigration you will be doing that in Thailand.

I agree with this Poster.

They might consider this as you working here, even if you derive your income from another country. But then again they might not.

So to be sure, it is best not to mention that.

Don't know if they consider this a Border Run. I thought there was a limit of 6 on that. But I honestly don't know for sure as I never had to do that. So other here may help you with that.

• Like 1

Don't know if they consider this a Border Run. I thought there was a limit of 6 on that. But I honestly don't know for sure as I never had to do that. So other here may help you with that.

There is no counted limit. What one can't do, is to stay wit repeated out-in visa exempt entries. That's all.

working on your laptop is working here in Thailand

I was wondering whether all these considerations will become irrelevant next year, as with the commencement of theAsean free market,won't he as a Malaysian be allowed to work here, and to travel in and out of Thailsnd as much as he likes?

No it won't. The AEC agreement has nothing like that in it. It is nothing like the EEC.