Young tourists performing yoga at sacred temple criticised in Thai media

webfact

as mentioned, they appear to be on the grass/footpath leading into the temple grounds. i have observed thais drinking booze and playing games of chance at the immediate gate entrance to temples during their/temple fairs. no dress code observed whatsoever as long as not inside the temple.

it appears that some thai are as racist toward farang (farang bashing) as some tv members are accused of being toward thai.

i took a group of hindu to a christmas service, at their request, one time, they got a kick out of prayer time as people kneeled, bowed, closed eyes, etc. serval of them took pictures throught the prayer and other parts considered holy, by some. afterwards, the majority on the church members stopped to welcome the hindus, visit, etc. not a single mention was made top their disrregard for chistian custom to me or them.

perhaps some people are a tad too religious, nationalist in the vocal blather and should be more concerned with how they are precieved by those they like to critize.

A group of farang was found doing a workout [at a temple], supposedly yoga. They spread their arms and legs while their friends were taking photos. This was done in public view of both locals and tourists," the caption said. Common temple etiquette requires visitors to remain calm, and act in a composed manner"

Boo hoo hoo

If they are doing something wrong then say so to their face instead of this cowardly, chicken crud online BS outrage campaign.

Say you on an Internet forum 555

Lets see: Whose picture did I publish to name and shame…oh, look no one.

If I saw someone doing something that I found offensive I would tell them.

Get me in contact with the knob head who started this campaign and I tell them what I think about their behaviour.

Remember the guy from the BTS who had a hole in his shoe, yet was vilified on the forums for having a camera shoe.

Netziens and their online outrage, make me want to puke.

Confrontation is not appropriate behaviour at a temple.

Why don't you go and get yourself in contact with the person that started the campaign. It's pointless sitting behind your keyboard, doing this and doing that, but in reality doing nothing.

"Common temple etiquette requires visitors to remain calm, and act in a composed manner""

• Like 1

yes Buddha teached to punish everyone who doesn't follow to the word.....Same counts for the 6 month jail for selling alcohol on holy days.

Or was that the other religion.....

If Buddha really existed he would be happy to see them make yoga at his place.

if these were Chinese tourists we'd be bashing the Chinese for being rude and culturally insensitive.

But they're farang so instead we bash the Thais for being too sensitive.

It was wrong. Please show respect for the country you're living in.

But would we, if it was Tai Chi, say, they were practising?

yes Buddha teached to punish everyone who doesn't follow to the word.....Same counts for the 6 month jail for selling alcohol on holy days.

Or was that the other religion.....

If Buddha really existed he would be happy to see them make yoga at his place.

Now I freely admit to knowing next to nothing about Buddhism, but that is what I would have thought too...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Another example of an overreaction by a Thai.

Not at all. I rather suspect the tourists wouldn't act the same way in a church, mosque or synagogue in their home country. Why should they even think it's remotely acceptable in a Buddhist temple?

They are also both dressed inappropriately to visit a temple. They have obviously spent no time learning about local ways and are completely devoid of any cultural sensitivity.

Probably because there is no roof over their heads they thought that it was okay to entertain the Lord Budda, they are in Temple grounds not in the Temple itself, going by the picture.

A group of farang was found doing a workout [at a temple], supposedly yoga. They spread their arms and legs while their friends were taking photos. This was done in public view of both locals and tourists," the caption said. Common temple etiquette requires visitors to remain calm, and act in a composed manner"

Boo hoo hoo

If they are doing something wrong then say so to their face instead of this cowardly, chicken crud online BS outrage campaign.

Say you on an Internet forum 555

Lets see: Whose picture did I publish to name and shame…oh, look no one.

If I saw someone doing something that I found offensive I would tell them.

Get me in contact with the knob head who started this campaign and I tell them what I think about their behaviour.

Remember the guy from the BTS who had a hole in his shoe, yet was vilified on the forums for having a camera shoe.

Netziens and their online outrage, make me want to puke.

Confrontation is not appropriate behaviour at a temple.

Why don't you go and get yourself in contact with the person that started the campaign. It's pointless sitting behind your keyboard, doing this and doing that, but in reality doing nothing.

"Common temple etiquette requires visitors to remain calm, and act in a composed manner""

Read line three of my response. Get me in touch with them and I will.

As for appropriate, this whole campaign is inappropriate.

Started by cowards too scared to politely point out to the tourists what they were doing wrong.

You don't need to be confrontational to do this.

Read line three of my response. Get me in touch with them and I will.

Started by cowards too scared to politely point out to the tourists what they were doing wrong.

You don't need to be confrontational to do this.

Correct me if I'm wrong but no one at the Wat said anything did they? Wasn't it a cowardly INTERNET warrior much like yourself who saw the photos posted in Facebook and got bent out of shape?

Look on Facebook to get in touch with them. Any one can find them in a minute.

Edited by thailiketoo

if these were Chinese tourists we'd be bashing the Chinese for being rude and culturally insensitive.

Does Tai Chi involve hoisting a woman up in the air, upside down, with her legs spread?

My guess is that if these farang knew now about the (minor) controversy, they would be mortified and regret their disrespect.

I would like to think so anyway.

• Like 2

Does Tai Chi involve hoisting a woman up in the air, upside down, with her legs spread?

My guess is that if these farang knew now about the (minor) controversy, they would be mortified and regret their disrespect.

I would like to think so anyway.

Are you saying there is something sexual in the photo? Maybe I am just innocent or naive because I certainly cannot...

• Like 2

Get me in touch with them and I will.

Since I can't post Thai writing here mr braveguy I'll tell you how to get in touch. Copy the photograph and google with the photograph and the words Facebook.

Get back to us and let us know how the people responded.

• Like 1

Is it any worse than Thai tourists scribbling graffiti on the Great Wall or lauding Adolph Hitler? I really don't think so.

I don't believe it was Thai tourists with the Nazi stuff. I think it was University students in Bangkok.

On my first trip to Thailand, in early 1980's, I saw a Thai man crouching down taking a dump in the middle of an entry road to a temple, just before its main gate.

Anyhow (glad I got that off my chest, ha ha), the two gymnasts doing body art outside (not inside) a temple. It don't bother me. But that's just one of the added freedoms of not being tethered to a religion: not being so fraught with getting offended by so many things. Of course the worst are the Moslems - they've got so many things which can offend them, it borders on ludicrous.

• Like 2

Is it any worse than Thai tourists scribbling graffiti on the Great Wall or lauding Adolph Hitler? I really don't think so.

I don't believe it was Thai tourists with the Nazi stuff. I think it was University students in Bangkok.

Thaiiliketoo google is your friend http://www.khaosod.co.th/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRRd05EY3hPVFEyTkE9PQ==&sectionid=

Come come Blue...,...It's hardly vilification as they are unidentified and will probably remain so.

Your Thai may well be better than the photographer's Hebrew/French/Dutch/French/English. What was she supposed to do as obviously she was outraged or offended.

Did they know? Probably not, and that's the point of the article; ignorant farang.

When in Rome......

That's blues.

And publishing their picture is appalling behavior in this context.

They are being vilified on forums carrying their picture.

Ans so they should be - why on earth are you defending them and blaming Thais? I think you have issues buddy.