Young tourists performing yoga at sacred temple criticised in Thai media

webfact

It wasnt in a temple just the grounds which is a totally different thing.

I'm afraid you don't understand what a temple is. You're confusing individual buildings within a temple (ubosot, wihaan, sala, mondop &c.) with the temple itself. The entire area within the boundary walls is the temple. So yes, it was in the temple. It just wasn't within one of the temple buildings.

Im pretty sure no one thinks of the whole grounds as a temple perse

If they do then thats even funnier and more ridiculous since a wats boundary can encompass huge areas and carparks and restaurants that serve alcohol, Ive seen Thais doing just about everything within a wats boundary walls, including having sex drinking, gambling, dancing, concerts and having a picnic.

OMG! I just lost face BIG TIME by looking at that picture!

Some time ago, while I was at the temple, I saw a woman slapping the shit out of her 2 year old kid. Seemed to offend no one, but me...

This not same you country. You not understand.

I'm like 99.9% sure you don't have the intelligence to speak Thai even at a level of a 2 year old. biggrin.png

And? I'm like 99% sure you don't have the intelligence to recognise an off the cuff comment in your own language.

OMG! I just lost face BIG TIME by looking at that picture!

Some time ago, while I was at the temple, I saw a woman slapping the shit out of her 2 year old kid. Seemed to offend no one, but me...

I'm like 99.9% sure you don't have the intelligence to speak Thai even at a level of a 2 year old. biggrin.png

And? I'm like 99% sure you don't have the intelligence to recognise an off the cuff comment in your own language.

I'm 99% sure you wasn't talking about you. :cheesy:

I really appreciate Thai people who try and speak my language it is very difficult for them. I found out this when I was teaching English in Thailand for the first time in 1968. Thai is also difficult for me to speak and I appreciate the patience Thais show me as I struggle along. I would never mock an attempt at English that a Thai person especially my family might make. If you want to mock Thais speaking English it tells me you are really not very bright or kind or empathetic.

Since Thai people got offended, it must have been offending... Why do a workout, I can't see what it has to do with yoga... So, why do a workout in a sacred place? Plenty of public parks etc to let ur fantasy go free... U visit a country, u respect their ways...

• Like 1

I'm afraid you don't understand what a temple is. You're confusing individual buildings within a temple (ubosot, wihaan, sala, mondop &c.) with the temple itself. The entire area within the boundary walls is the temple. So yes, it was in the temple. It just wasn't within one of the temple buildings.

If they do then thats even funnier and more ridiculous since a wats boundary can encompass huge areas and carparks and restaurants that serve alcohol, Ive seen Thais doing just about everything within a wats boundary walls, including having sex drinking, gambling, dancing, concerts and having a picnic.

I find that very hard to believe - you've seen people having sex in a temple?

Since Thai people got offended, it must have been offending... Why do a workout, I can't see what it has to do with yoga... So, why do a workout in a sacred place? Plenty of public parks etc to let ur fantasy go free... U visit a country, u respect their ways...

They were probably on the hippy trail and had spent a few months in India learning yoga and saw yogis doing weird things in temples. Due to all the dope they smoked and incessant selfies, they innocently forgot which country they were in.

• Like 2

why take offense when none was meant?...... just a group of amulet laden buddhist extremists misunderstanding buddhism and trying to impress each other on the net....... sad and scary.

Have you been drinking?

Buddhist extremists in Thailand lol

I really appreciate Thai people who try and speak my language it is very difficult for them. I found out this when I was teaching English in Thailand for the first time in 1968. Thai is also difficult for me to speak and I appreciate the patience Thais show me as I struggle along. I would never mock an attempt at English that a Thai person especially my family might make. If you want to mock Thais speaking English it tells me you are really not very bright or kind or empathetic.

O.K, let's talk empathy. What about the original post I was replying to concerning the toddler being beaten in the temple grounds?

• Like 1

Is this really just an excuse to attack a person of white skin by yet another racist, over sensitive thai taking their oh so precious culture a little too seriously? And if there is a choice between some Chinese tourist publicly defecating and some westerners doing yoga, which do they choose? I bet if there were some young Thais doing yoga there they wouldn't have minded, probably would have cited it as an example of good, clean living people of their country.

So you'd have no problem doing Arabic Dancing Aerobics in St. Paul's then - London and Rome? Or perhaps the Can Can in a Mumbai Hindu Temple? Or some nice yoga exercises next to the Wailing Wall>

I don't think Thais would do Yoga, dressed like that, and in a mixed pair in a temple somehow.

Just ignorant people who think they can please themselves whenever, however and what ever they like.

• Like 1

I guess it depends on what you call temple boundary walls, but yes in the wats grounds certainly. why would you be surprised ? i know of monks that are married have mia nois and have had families whilst on duty so to speak....you think all Thais or even Buddhists respect Buddhist doctrine ?

Honestly bud anything people get up to you'll find within or happening in temples, stashing weapons or drugs ? no problem... using temples to hide out in and continue criminal activities ? no problem....

sorry but yoga dosnt offend me

I've lived in temples and never seen anything remotely like that. I am surprised because I know how Thais respect temples - they must have been drunk!. But there are different sorts of temples. There are the real meditation temples and the community centre temples, where monks are basically social workers, who are reknown around the world for their drinking and sexual activities!

I guess it depends on what you call temple boundary walls, but yes in the wats grounds certainly. why would you be surprised ? i know of monks that are married have mia nois and have had families whilst on duty so to speak....you think all Thais or even Buddhists respect Buddhist doctrine ?

Honestly bud anything people get up to you'll find within or happening in temples, stashing weapons or drugs ? no problem... using temples to hide out in and continue criminal activities ? no problem....

sorry but yoga dosnt offend me

"sorry but yoga dosnt offend me" - ain't your temple though.

I find it laughable when various sports players cross themselves or kiss whatever it is hanging round their necks. But I wouldn't insult it or their place of worship if that's what makes them rock.

yes Buddha teached to punish everyone who doesn't follow to the word.....Same counts for the 6 month jail for selling alcohol on holy days.

Or was that the other religion.....

If Buddha really existed he would be happy to see them make yoga at his place.

Now I freely admit to knowing next to nothing about Buddhism, but that is what I would have thought too...

no difference to the others, I think all, Christs, Muslims and Buddhist don't allow to kill people.

And everywhere the monks can't await to bless the weapons of the army....Just as general idea how they all degenerated adjusted to the needs.

nothing compared to what some of the monks get up to in the temples............ coffee1.gif

If we're going to continue with the monk bashing, let's compare them to Catholic priests. They're all perfect, right?

• Like 1