Young tourists performing yoga at sacred temple criticised in Thai media

webfact

We Asians can be really sensitive and sometimes over-sensitive when it comes to our culture and religion.That's why being foreigners here in Thailand,please make sure to just take note of their rules...it's nothing to do w racism,it's just the way it is.I know you'll find some Asian customs weird and over-dramatic but this is not our country and we just have to respect their rules or suffer the consequences.

I am half Asian too don't give me this BS, when Thai go abroad have no respect whatsoever for any rule. Just ask Japanese what they think about Thai.

In Malaysia (Penang) people is very tolerant with tourists even around Mosques, they understand that not all tourists can be informed about every aspect of a country culture and religion.

If some really go over the top they approach them and very kindly explain to them.

It's not BS it's the truth.You are not getting the point of my post.The message I'm trying to tell foreigners is for their own good because I know how Thais react on this kind of things.And by calling it a BS,you just proved being an Asian can be really sensitive.

I think it's stretching it to call this yoga it is a gymnastics performance which still is perfectly ok to do in the outdoor area at a temple. There are no rules against this and I have seen dancing, theatre, rock concerts and Thai boxing performed in the outdoor areas of Thai temples so this criticism looks to me as being more a complaint that some farangs cann something cool that we can't do and we are jealous? Otherwise I don't get the point since this temple is often advertised to attract tourists?

It's partner Yoga. Besides Buddha himself was taught by Yogi's hence it is where Buddhism originated. I do agree they could have been a bit more dressed for the occasion. Maybe the Thais should be less judgmental and inform themselves a bit more about their own philosophy. Fundamentalist Buddhist nonsense. It's these fundamentalists that spoil things in every religion. As Buddhadhassa said: There IS no religion when we reach the summit of every religion or philosophy.

Another example of an overreaction by a Thai. coffee1.gif

At least a monk isn't slapping them, they are not drunk and are not in a bikini. blink.png

Presumably you would not expect any reaction from the public if this was performed by Thais inside a cathedral in the west.

• Like 1

Ensure all the monks behave well before commenting on this innocent and healthy acts within the temple compound. Personally, I don't see anything wrong.

Rubbish. It's not what you think that is important here. You 'value' judgements are not the story.

Remove religion, 80% of world problems already gone.

Can we get back to traffic critisism and stuff now? There is more important stuff that needs attention than trivial stuff like this.

In order to remove religions, you have to remove people, because they are the ones who create religions.

Is that your suggestion, removing people from the planet Earth ?

It's a clear cut case of national narcissism, and the wounded national child afraid to reach into the international consciousness on an emotional level. No problems reaching into the international mindframe on a materialistic level. The thing is they come hand in hand.

I dont advocate any dogmatic approach commonly refered to religion in any country.

Its clearly just a seperation tool designed to feel safe within a smaller group.

We are all here together and everybody has a valuable contribution to make to the whole.

It's time to evolve and intergrate every valuable portion the world has to offer...

Edited by lil fluffy clouds

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Another example of an overreaction by a Thai. coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJARfU4 alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24>

At least a monk isn't slapping them, they are not drunk and are not in a bikini. alt=blink.png>

They're showing disrespect for the customs of that particular place. If they were to try that in a Church they'd be shown the door.

This is Thailand incase you conveniently forgot, don't like their reactions then go back to your nation of birth.

• Like 1

Despite incidents happend in the past (which also occurred at Christian churches like pedofhilia, scams etc.) It happens in all religions. Does this mean we do not need to respect the principles and beliefs of does following their religion? It is widely known that inappropriate dressing like without a shirt etc. Shoes off and so on are cultural principles in Thailand. Performing Yoga and the way they dressed in this matter is disrespectful and has been offensive to Thaise whom witnessed this. This is a Thai cultural matter. If you visit a temple yourself do you keep your shoes on because you think Thaise do not respect Buddhism anyway (in the opinion of those saying this behaviour mentioned is ok) I can say honestly that I believe that most of you would follow the principles of visiting religious grounds)

If you are in Thailand, act accordingly and respect the cultural and religious principles as you would expect from others visiting your home country, regardless of incidents which always will occur which doesn't free you of not respecting others.

Thank you...could not have said it any better.

We Asians can be really sensitive and sometimes over-sensitive when it comes to our culture and religion.That's why being foreigners here in Thailand,please make sure to just take note of their rules...it's nothing to do w racism,it's just the way it is.I know you'll find some Asian customs weird and over-dramatic but this is not our country and we just have to respect their rules or suffer the consequences.

I am half Asian too don't give me this BS, when Thai go abroad have no respect whatsoever for any rule. Just ask Japanese what they think about Thai.

In Malaysia (Penang) people is very tolerant with tourists even around Mosques, they understand that not all tourists can be informed about every aspect of a country culture and religion.

If some really go over the top they approach them and very kindly explain to them.

It's not BS it's the truth.You are not getting the point of my post.The message I'm trying to tell foreigners is for their own good because I know how Thais react on this kind of things.And by calling it a BS,you just proved being an Asian can be really sensitive.

It's BS because Thai allow all kind of in proper behavior on temple ground, here a pic of Thai playing the violent sexual oriented video game GTA and I did not even mention all the times I saw groups of Thai drinking outside the temple. If you really want to give advise, tell Thai to try entering the 21st century.

Thailand-temple-GTA.jpg

• Like 2

Despite incidents happend in the past (which also occurred at Christian churches like pedofhilia, scams etc.) It happens in all religions. Does this mean we do not need to respect the principles and beliefs of does following their religion? It is widely known that inappropriate dressing like without a shirt etc. Shoes off and so on are cultural principles in Thailand. Performing Yoga and the way they dressed in this matter is disrespectful and has been offensive to Thaise whom witnessed this. This is a Thai cultural matter. If you visit a temple yourself do you keep your shoes on because you think Thaise do not respect Buddhism anyway (in the opinion of those saying this behaviour mentioned is ok) I can say honestly that I believe that most of you would follow the principles of visiting religious grounds)

If you are in Thailand, act accordingly and respect the cultural and religious principles as you would expect from others visiting your home country, regardless of incidents which always will occur which doesn't free you of not respecting others.

Fact: they were not inside a temple.

Buddha from Nepal. In this case I am with the temple. Seems like self absorbed narcissist tourists that don't have time or interest to find about about local customs and expectations of behavior. "I am on spiritual path, so <deleted> off".

Oh you are Buddha? Nice to meet you! You don't even know your own religion name! What a joke!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Another example of an overreaction by a Thai. coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJARfU4 alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24>

At least a monk isn't slapping them, they are not drunk and are not in a bikini. alt=blink.png>

They're showing disrespect for the customs of that particular place. If they were to try that in a Church they'd be shown the door.

This is Thailand incase you conveniently forgot, don't like their reactions then go back to your nation of birth.

"If they were to try that in a Church they'd be shown the door."

No, I see it all the time, a priest would kindly come to warn the wrong doers. No real man of faith would ever show the door to anybody just because they are making a mistake.

• Like 1

It's BS because Thai allow all kind of in proper behavior on temple ground, here a pic of Thai playing the violent sexual oriented video game GTA and I did not even mention all the times I saw groups of Thai drinking outside the temple. If you really want to give advise, tell Thai to try entering the 21st century.

Thailand-temple-GTA.jpg

I understand your point.I'm aware of what inappropriate things Thais do in or within the temple,but at the end of the day this is their country.If you know how Thais think and capable of doing,one would rather just follow those rules.

You lot must live in a different thailand than me or you are all a bit crazy. I live in issan and go to morlum concerts all the time with sexy girl dancers, all the teens drinking whisky then about 2pm start fighting with bottles ,machetes and even guns and all these concerts are in temples. The attached photos and video all in my local temple . Note the small boys on the video .

Complaing about that yoga outside the temple is rubbish as all thais know what goes on in the temples of thailand so it is just racist.post-220488-0-53133000-1420513099_thumb.S1030586.AVI

post-220488-0-99005900-1420513112_thumb.

• Like 2

"in a church" this is not "in a temple" get it? if it was "in a temple" my reaction would be different and if you know this temple you will know the layout and this is in the grounds and the monks are quite capable of saying something if they are "offended"

stop being so damn "righteous and pompous and more Thai than the Thais" this is just Thais being xenophobic, as usual, and they don't need farangs joining in the witchhunt.

Hope these kids move on from their GRAVE SIN and enjoy the rest of their sojourn.

• Like 1

Is it any worse than Thai tourists scribbling graffiti on the Great Wall or lauding Adolph Hitler? I really don't think so.

NNo it's not, but as people on here slated those Thai individuals then it's a tad hypocritical to defend these two. Two wrong don't make a right and all that.

Fact: in Thailand,that's still considered as a holy ground.

Thailand-temple-GTA.jpg

I understand your point.I'm aware of what inappropriate things Thais do in or within the temple,but at the end of the day this is their country.If you know how Thais think and capable of doing,one would rather just follow those rules.

oh so what you are saying Thai can disrespect temples because they are not foreigners? How is that not racism? Ever heard of "equality"?

How is a tourist supposed to know all the crazy nonsense rules this country has?

And just because someone is a visitor doesn't make him/her a second class human, either everyone that misbehave is blamed or nobody. I don't buy your "their country" BS (see how sensitive I am I just said it again).

You are just trying to justify that xenophobic behavior this govt is trying to push so badly.

fact: I am half Thai and you are full of it! You don't even have to take off shoes out there. Speak of what you know please.

I can see the way they dress can be a problem at temple, especially a lady. Anyway, it doesn't matter whether you agree or disagree with local's complaints. We all come from different backgrounds, and have different beliefs and world views. I am sure those 2 didn't mean to offend anyone at all. It was just part of their daily exercises. Howerver, these farangs tourists are in Thailand as guests. It is a common sense that once you are in foreign country, you must respect their rules and culture. If you accidently did something inappropriate to upset the locals, you should stop doing it again and apologize.

Edited by sitti
  • Like 1

"in a church" this is not "in a temple" get it? if it was "in a temple" my reaction would be different and if you know this temple you will know the layout and this is in the grounds and the monks are quite capable of saying something if they are "offended"

stop being so damn "righteous and pompous and more Thai than the Thais" this is just Thais being xenophobic, as usual, and they don't need farangs joining in the witchhunt.

Hope these kids move on from their GRAVE SIN and enjoy the rest of their sojourn.

So because my opinion differs from yours I'm righteous and pompous? You're the type of farang that the Thais don't want or respect. Keep that obnoxious attitude and you'll likely come a cropper.

I can see the way they dress can be a problem at temple, especially a lady. Anyway, it doesn't matter whether you agree or disagree with local's complaints. We all come from different backgrounds, and have different beliefs and world views. I am sure those 2 didn't mean to offend anyone at all. It was just part of their daily exercises. Howerver, these farangs tourists are in Thailand as guests. It is a common sense that once you are in foreign country, you must respect their rules and culture. If you accidently did something inappropriate, you should stop doing it again and apologize.

agreed, if someone warn you, but Thai rather took pic and cowardly complained on social media.

• Like 1

fact: I am half Thai and you are full of it! You don't even have to take off shoes out there. Speak of what you know please.

You are half Thai yet your hatred among Thais clearly shows,to the point you cannot think rational anymore.I may not be Thai but I grew up here and took the time learning the culture,language,religion and its people.For almost 19 years I never had a problem w them.

You have personal issues w your Thai side but don't condemn them as if every Thai is doing it.

• Like 2

All these 'righteous pompous' condemning posts about a couple of backpackers unwinding in the temple GROUNDS. Yoga is a spiritual practice, it was not IN the temple or IN the graveyard. Jeeze give these kids a break.

Think more about the amulet selling, fortune reading, mobile texting and all the other c**p that goes on within temples that is far more disturbing than a couple of farang kids doing some yoga poses in temple grounds.

So two wrongs make a right do they? Here's a piece of advice for you. Just because YOU don't see something wrong with something doesn't mean it's automatically right.....to believe otherwise is arrogance. Oh, and having the Buddha as your avatar doesn't mean you have the right to say what is right and wrong in the eyes of strict Buddhists.

You call us pompous, I think you're obnoxious.

• Like 1

So because my opinion differs from yours I'm righteous and pompous? You're the type of farang that the Thais don't want or respect. Keep that obnoxious attitude and you'll likely come a cropper.

oh we know, Thai want "quality tourists"... let me see:

no backpackers

no expats

no Russians

no Chinese

no Blacks

no Arabs

no people that criticize

no people that comes without studying Thai culture for months so they won't accidentally disrespect anything

what's left? uhm maybe just you? I doubt you can alone support Thai tourism.