Young tourists performing yoga at sacred temple criticised in Thai media

webfact

Come come Blue...,...It's hardly vilification as they are unidentified and will probably remain so.

Your Thai may well be better than the photographer's Hebrew/French/Dutch/French/English. What was she supposed to do as obviously she was outraged or offended.

Did they know? Probably not, and that's the point of the article; ignorant farang.

When in Rome......

That's blues.

And publishing their picture is appalling behavior in this context.

They are being vilified on forums carrying their picture.

I thought it read Blue Spunk? (smily face drinking coffee)

OMG! I just lost face BIG TIME by looking at that picture!

Some time ago, while I was at the temple, I saw a woman slapping the shit out of her 2 year old kid. Seemed to offend no one, but me...

This not same you country. You not understand.

I'm like 99.9% sure you don't have the intelligence to speak Thai even at a level of a 2 year old. biggrin.png

Either that, or spends his life at a go-go bar

What country is Yoga, The Kama Sutra and Lord Gautama Buddha from?

Just sayin'...

India. Not sure I follow.

Yoga and Buddhism are sister traditions which evolved in the same spiritual culture of ancient India. They use many of the same terms and follow many of the same principles and practices. For this reason it is not surprising that many of us born in the West, particularly after an initial exposure, are apt to regard Yoga and Buddhist teachings as almost identical.

We may want to combine their teachings or practices accordingly, as if there were no real differences between them. The differences that have existed between the two systems historically, which have kept them apart as separate traditions, are less obvious to us in the West than are their commonalities. Or those who study one of these traditions may be inclined to see the other as a borrowing from it. Those who study Buddhism may find so much similarity in Yoga that they suspect a strong Buddhist influence on Yoga. Those who study Yoga may find so much similarity in Buddhism that they see a strong yogic influence on Buddhism.

http://vedanet.com/2012/06/13/yoga-and-buddhism-similarities-and-differences/

Oh boo hoo. I wonder if said upset locals are as aware of how they offend others with their love of nazi regalia.

On a side note this article may have clarified something I've always wondered. Is farang the term for both single and plural? I always thought it was farangs.

A group of young adults who either took no time to learn anything about very basic culture here or simply are selfish disrespectful crew that could care less. Would think this no big deal and certainly not a reflection of all farangs but then read many of the posts here and could make you wonder if most are a bunch of ignorant and disrespectful group ... but being familiar with the many of the posters here, I know it just a vocal but very miserable group of people who may give this impression to new readers on the forum.

Edited by JohnThailandJohn
  • Like 1

On a side note this article may have clarified something I've always wondered. Is farang the term for both single and plural? I always thought it was farangs.

Would think it should be used like the word foreigner / foreigners when speaking English but since it is a Thai word it can be used to indicate plural or singular in Thai.

Edit: to be clear the word doesn't translate exactly to foreigner since it usually used to describe whites and then secondly non-Asians in general.

Edited by JohnThailandJohn
  • Like 1

Would think it should be used like the word foreigner / foreigners when speaking English but since it is a Thai word it can be used to indicate plural or singular in Thai.

Edit: to be clear the word doesn't translate exactly to foreigner since it usually used to describe whites and then secondly non-Asians in general.

It shouldn't be used at all in English as it has become a derogatory term verging on racist. Unless we want to do what a certain group did with the N word.

Kids are normally better at facebook in Thailand than older guys writing from other countries. I changed it to young person as you can see above because I don't know if you have any Thai family as most of us here do.

It is easy to log on to FB only takes a minute. Like I said ask any kid to help you.

I live here.

I quit FB because of the Mexican beheading video.

I know how to use it, I choose not too.

My point still stands as in previous posts.

If you have a problem with what someone is doing, tell them.

Don't post it all over the web.

I'd agree with you about that but if you want to confront them and can't find an alternative that may be the only way. Someone should say something about the fact that it's OK to have Thai girls dancing at the Wat but not Farang doing yoga. Of course you would have to do it in Thai for anyone to understand what you were talking about.

I could explain that in Thai if I had to [though I wouldn't as it doesn't bother me].

However as I have said before, a polite request or letting someone know what they are doing is offensive to others does not have to be confrontational.

Posting pictures of people who may not have known what they were doing was inappropriate and having a go at them online is appalling behaviour.

If they were asked to stop and it was explained to them why they should stop but refused, that's another matter.

But taking a picture, posting it and then having a pop at them, that's cowardly.

• Like 2

Yoga is a communion with God,.

Lord Buddha was a prophet.

The Kama Suttra is Hindu.

They are all linked to India.

But these disrespectful ignoramuses are not at a Hindu temple in India.

I can find Kali and Ganesh along with many other Indian gods being worshipped in Buddhist temples all over Thailand.

Real Buddhist don't worship anyone, do they?

I have Ganesh and Buddha statues all over my house but am not a Buddhist, but not not a Buddhist too.

Kids are normally better at facebook in Thailand than older guys writing from other countries. I changed it to young person as you can see above because I don't know if you have any Thai family as most of us here do.

It is easy to log on to FB only takes a minute. Like I said ask any kid to help you.

I live here.

I quit FB because of the Mexican beheading video.

I know how to use it, I choose not too.

My point still stands as in previous posts.

If you have a problem with what someone is doing, tell them.

Don't post it all over the web.

I'd agree with you about that but if you want to confront them and can't find an alternative that may be the only way. Someone should say something about the fact that it's OK to have Thai girls dancing at the Wat but not Farang doing yoga. Of course you would have to do it in Thai for anyone to understand what you were talking about.

I could explain that in Thai if I had to [though I wouldn't as it doesn't bother me].

However as I have said before, a polite request or letting someone know what they are doing is offensive to others does not have to be confrontational.

Posting pictures of people who may not have known what they were doing was inappropriate and having a go at them online is appalling behaviour.

If they were asked to stop and it was explained to them why they should stop but refused, that's another matter.

But taking a picture, posting it and then having a pop at them, that's cowardly.

I hear now what you're saying and agree to a point.

Thais have been tolerating 'rude' farang for a long time and some famous temples are plagued with farang. The Thai tolerance bubble has to burst sometimes.

If I went to a famous church in Scotland for prayer and meditation and continuously saw inappropriately dressed Aborigines or Red Indians with their full headresses, I'd probably feel the same as some of the Thais here do.

Yes this surely is disgusting, how many people has it physically harmed? meantime lets get back in our cars and really cause some real physical problems by driving like total Tw**s mowing down all before us or get enraged and chop someone up due to the big no no "loss of face" yes far more serious though is this leg spreading. feeeelthy farangs

Another example of an overreaction by a Thai.

Not at all. I rather suspect the tourists wouldn't act the same way in a church, mosque or synagogue in their home country. Why should they even think it's remotely acceptable in a Buddhist temple?

They are also both dressed inappropriately to visit a temple. They have obviously spent no time learning about local ways and are completely devoid of any cultural sensitivity.

The bare feet in the air is also not helping.

Come come Blue...,...It's hardly vilification as they are unidentified and will probably remain so.

Your Thai may well be better than the photographer's Hebrew/French/Dutch/French/English. What was she supposed to do as obviously she was outraged or offended.

Did they know? Probably not, and that's the point of the article; ignorant farang.

When in Rome......

That's blues.

And publishing their picture is appalling behavior in this context.

They are being vilified on forums carrying their picture.

O please you are getting a bit over the top here, vilified what are they suppose to get, please come back and do your workout at my Wat again, I loved it so much.

....yoga is supposed to be sacred.....spiritual....

...maybe in their minds they were 'being one with the environment'....

...the level of hatred, resentment, bigotry, xenophobia, outright racism is alarming....

...I have seen many Thai women go before the monks in questionable attire....but I guess that is okay....

...not to mention the stories we hear about the goings-on behind the scenes at various temples....

...fostering and festering hatred for the foreigners that bring so much economic benefit to this country....

...happy new year....

...humans can communicate supposedly....

...if they were 'out of line'...and they were not aware of it....unintentional...is is such a crime....

...would it have been too much to walk up to them and inform them....

...tried and convicted.....

...and we are all guilty again....us foreigners......

• Like 1

Another example of an overreaction by a Thai.

Not at all. I rather suspect the tourists wouldn't act the same way in a church, mosque or synagogue in their home country. Why should they even think it's remotely acceptable in a Buddhist temple?

They are also both dressed inappropriately to visit a temple. They have obviously spent no time learning about local ways and are completely devoid of any cultural sensitivity.

Agreed totally. They were lucky not to be arrested or fined... Thai people rarely interfer with other people doing wrong, but..if that was happenning in a western country..the outcome probably was different.

Thai temple is not a place for female Farang to spread their legs; dress or otherwise.

You should tone down your racist language before you comment. Perhaps you would like to go to England and use the 'N' word and see what happens to you.
I hear black people use the N word all the time.... What's the problem ?