Where can I get a money order valid within the US?

I'm in Bangkok at the moment, I need to get a money order for about $100, and mail it to the US. Can most banks do this? I have a bank account at Bangkok Bank. If not, is this a service that the money exchangers typically offer?

Aren't money orders a bit retro? I don't think I've heard of one being used since about 1975 where I come from. Even FX Drafts (cashier's cheques) are basically obsolete as well as being difficult and expensive to purchase and get processed. And they can take forever before you actually get the funds.

Even Traveller's Cheques have had their day.

You should just do a Western union payment. This is the closest to the modern equivalent of a money order. Or as suggested just throw a $100 note in an envelope.

• Like 1

Unfortunately this is for a government payment and my only options are check / money order. Personal check won't suffice (business related expense) and my business checks are in the process of being mailed. So I can either wait another 2 weeks for my biz checks to get to me, or find a money order source in BKK.

This is what I did when I had to quickly get a check to the US federal government because of a mistake on THEIR part, but that's another story.

I called a friend, gave him all the information by scanning and emailing him the document I had from the IRS. I then asked him to write and mail a check for me along with the scanned copy of what the IRS had sent me. I then paid him back by sending him a check through my home banking at BOFA in America.

Of course, this requires that you have home banking to pay your friend back. It also requires you to have a good friend who will do this for you. If you have home banking in any bank in America you should be able to designate anybody at any address as a payee to have a check cut and mailed to.

I recently, through Bangkok bank sent my daughter in the US $100. It cost me $20 to send it and it cost her $15.00 to receive it. From now on I will post cash.

Edited by rethaier

Gyro, wait until tomorrow. Then go to any post office. ThaiPost. They do money orders at every post office in Thailand and will charge you under 100 baht fee. It is recognized and accepted in The USA. If you have to, have someone translate it for you, but they have signs saying money order and someone at the post office will speak a little English if not a lot.

• Like 1

Gyro, wait until tomorrow. Then go to any post office. ThaiPost. They do money orders at every post office in Thailand and will charge you under 100 baht fee. It is recognized and accepted in The USA. If you have to, have someone translate it for you, but they have signs saying money order and someone at the post office will speak a little English if not a lot.

This sounds bogus to me. Have you actually done this? The money order would be in Baht correct?

Can't see anyone taking something printed in Thai language that would have to processed back to Thailand from the USA for exchange?

Doc

Doc, snap out of it. I got one to renew a driver's license. It's in English and accepted in the USA. Why do you think English is the global language? For communication and business, Doc. Go to any post office and see. Call or write your bank in the States before you start yapping. Now sit down. It's real simple and real cheap. Next!

• Like 1

Hal65 I would not put a hundred dollar bill in an envelope sent from Thailand, for the same reason you don't send cash to Thailand from any country, they look and check for cash, and shazam it disappears. ohh gee you didn't get your money. don't listen to anyone saying send cash..

You can buy a cashier's check in USD drawn on a U.S. Bank. Did that a few times at Bank of Ayuthaya when I needed to pay a government agency in Hong Kong.

For private recipients? Paypal! Send $ 104 or $ 105 to cover their fee. No to cash in the mail.

The reason for the money order was because I intended to add a DBA name to my newly formed company, at an additional cost to the Secretary of State. But I ended up deciding to use the primary company name, so it wasn't necessary. This thread has been good information for the future regardless, thanks everyone.

w00t.gifw00t.gif

The reason for the money order was because I intended to add a DBA name to my newly formed company, at an additional cost to the Secretary of State. But I ended up deciding to use the primary company name, so it wasn't necessary. This thread has been good information for the future regardless, thanks everyone.

clap2.gifclap2.gif