Trek Domane 6.9 Disc

villagefarang

Masters Tour of CM was announced for Oct 21-24 this year but since it is always Fri - Mon, it will probably be Oct 20-23.  They're planning on changing Stage 2 from a point to point road race back to wicked hard circuit race. The course is one of my two favorite circuit races I've ever done in 30+ ears of racing. Unfortunately it's been closed to bike racing for several years. I think it's wishful thinking that they'll be able to hold the race there. I'm usually not in CM then but if they get that course back I'll make sure I plan my travel accordingly.

Too bad you can't make the Doi Inthanon race. I have several friends interested in buying an entry so they can do the event legitimately. Let me know if you're interested in selling your spot.

Happy to sell it on, do they allow you to change the registration though? Otherwise they'll have to pretend to be me!

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, moonoi said:

Happy to sell it on, do they allow you to change the registration though? Otherwise they'll have to pretend to be me!

I'll have my friend find out if you can change the registration. I don't think he cares. He would just rather pay for a number than jump in for free.

• 3 weeks later...
I'll have my friend find out if you can change the registration. I don't think he cares. He would just rather pay for a number than jump in for free.

They just announced that can sell entries and change the registration details until the 25th Jan, so if you know anyone that wants an entry, mine is up for grabs!

On 1/20/2017 at 8:32 AM, moonoi said:

They just announced that can sell entries and change the registration details until the 25th Jan, so if you know anyone that wants an entry, mine is up for grabs!

My bad. My friend just arrived in Thailand a few days ago and I forgot to follow up and have him contact you. I think he said you needed to contact them to switch the name. I'll see him in a couple of hours and get back to you with details, probably as a PM through the system here. I promise.

My latest ride through KL city - to the end of Jalan Ampang, and a couple of kilometres beyond

Jalan Ampang River 1.jpg

Jalan Ampang River 2.jpg

I came home past the Petronas Towers - about 12 km from the photos above - sorry I couldn't get low enough to make this a good shot - I should've got someone to hold my bike above their head...
Jalan Ampang KLCC Bicycle.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

We were out a couple of weeks ago on one of my favourite roads, we got to the bridge over the highway - CLOSED!  Could not get on!

"Not a problem", I said, "Where there's a will... follow me" and we sailed blithely past the security guard at the entrance to the construction site.  There was a good wide construction access road, the bridge was still there, over the bridge... and high construction barriers completely blocking the road at the far side of the bridge.  So we sheepishly turned back and went out again, waving to the security guard, who was trying to explain to us in Burmese that he had told us we couldn't get through there.

I cranked the handle on my mental navigation computer, and came up with an alternative route - 60 km/h down the hill, break hard for the motorcycle-only U-turn, back up the hill, off at the first turn-off, up the next hill which was a bit steeper than I'd recollected, and pause to regain my breath and wheeze and gasp and think "Hang on a minute, how are we going to get home from here..."

I had to pull the handle two times on the mental navigational fruit machine before it came up three bells - short cut through the MRT Station.  I was suffering a bit, perhaps from the night before as much as the morning's cycling, as it was not a long ride, though a little bit hillier than I had planned... So we took our bikes up the escalator and through the MRT station, pausing for a bit of a sit down in the fan ventilation and a drink from 7-11.

One of the challenges of living in a dynamic city is the constantly changing road layout, and they rarely seem to build quiet leafy back-roads...

SC

Last trip out, we had the same problem again... we'd headed out through the suburbs, through the industrial estates, over the little... over the little ... "sorry, lads, last time there was a little bridge here.  Maybe we'll have to turn back"

"I reckon we could get across..."

it was a bit of a struggle, but we were out, into the villages!

I don't know if the bridge had been washed away, or demolished by the authorities, or maybe collapsed under a motorcyclist bigger than me.  There's debris been spread across the stream to allow foot traffic, but a bit of a scramble up the other side

And another tale of flooding this weekend!

I'd planned a long ride across the city and into the hills beyond, but someone forwarded on a message announcing that another ride to the same area had been cancelled due to a road closure.  My five minutes' research on the internet told me nothing about road closures, but a motorcyclist had been swept away and drowned in a flash flood when a river burst its banks earlier in the week.

Luckily, the roads were open when we got there, and we were able to get up into the hills past the reservoir.  By the time we got to the 60 km mark I'd had enough, and we turned for home, not realising that the biggest hill was still to come.

594fb44334307_HuluLanggatreservoir3.jpg.12b6ca0b88b00e5781c1083bd38dec01.jpg

I checked out the alternative route for the disappeared bridge between the factories and the villages.  Being passable by motor vehicles, it was a bigger and slightly less pleasant road, but still fine for cycling on a public holiday or a Sunday.  I suppose some of the bigger village houses were quite photogenic, but I didn't bother to stop.  

Edit: the contrast was almost as sharp, though, between villages and factories

Edited by StreetCowboy

• 1 month later...

Hello cyclists!

Looking at coming to Thailand and buying a bike

@StreetCowboy did you buy your Avanti locally and what was the spec/cost?

I've seen a Twitter Rocket with 105 5800 at around 25000baht, seems like a good deal?

If I wanted to push the boat out where could I get a Synapse or Defy for cheap?

Also looking for a GPS

Thanks!

1 hour ago, driver52 said:

Hello cyclists!

Looking at coming to Thailand and buying a bike

@StreetCowboy did you buy your Avanti locally and what was the spec/cost?

I've seen a Twitter Rocket with 105 5800 at around 25000baht, seems like a good deal?

If I wanted to push the boat out where could I get a Synapse or Defy for cheap?

Also looking for a GPS

Thanks!

The Avanti was bought in Kuala Lumpur, but the dealer is not very interested in selling bicycles.

I just use Runtastic or Strava on my phone for tracking my rides.

SC

• 3 weeks later...

Today's ride was not particularly photogenic.  The high points were really low points: V taking a tumble when he forgot he was clipped into the pedals at our Richfield Corner cider stop, and me putting the bike down on a drain grid at the underpass below the expressway approaching Subang Depot. 

I was quite pleased we'd found our way there from MBPJ Stadium, and I knew about the drain grid, so I'd deliberately prevented the lady behind in an SUV from drawing level.  As I got to the grid, I weaved (wove?) right then ... my wheels went from under me, and the impact knocked the "...ck" out of my expletive.  Luckily, I was not hurt, my back light was knocked out of its mounting, the right brake shifter had taken a bit of an impact and was rotated somewhat.  The car drivers behind stopped and enquired after my well-being and I sheepishly said I was fine.

We stopped for a bit of a gathering of breath, and V was all set to take a photo of the blood streaming from a graze on my elbow.  "Steady on, V.  What if your wife sees the photo? Do you think you'll be allowed out with us again?"
"Fair point, let's get to the pub and get you cleaned up."

SC