Can you live without credit cards?

simon43

For many years it didn't bother me. But during a lean time 10 years ago, one was offered to me and I decided it would be a help until the money flow improved. I maintain it because it's a convenience, but don't let the credit build up - yeah, could live without it, but being a lazy sod, it saves me the effort of finding an ATM or bank.

• Like 1

While I could live without a credit card, why would I want to?

I pay for most everything with my credit card, which provides me with a complete record of everything I (and my wife) spend. Get 1-2% cash back as well. Almost never have to go to the bank or ATM and pay no ATM fees.

If you can’t manage your money, a credit card will not help you, but if you can, it seems to make a lot of things easier.

Somebody robs me, all they get is practice!

When I moved to Thailand I gave back all my credit cards. In Canada I had cards for everything. All gold cards,unlimited American express etc. I gave them back.Have lived her for 8 years without them donot need them here. Have bought 3 motorcycles 2 houses 2 cars everything cash no cards. I find it fun to walk out of a bank with a million or more baht cash in a bag to go buy something. In myho cards are more risk here than cash. Cash they get what you carry ,cards they clean you out.

• Like 1

When I moved to Thailand I gave back all my credit cards. In Canada I had cards for everything. All gold cards,unlimited American express etc. I gave them back.Have lived her for 8 years without them donot need them here. Have bought 3 motorcycles 2 houses 2 cars everything cash no cards. I find it fun to walk out of a bank with a million or more baht cash in a bag to go buy something. In myho cards are more risk here than cash. Cash they get what you carry ,cards they clean you out.

the local thugs will be watchin for u! 1 million?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

the local thugs will be watchin for u! 1 million?

Ive got a Visa from HSBC Malaysia and have a more than decent limit , I used to get everything on it and pay it off in full monthly from my account. but at the moment with the exchange rate going down with the Ringitt about 9% , I just use cash in Thailand now

Keep the CC's for taking big trips....pay them off and ready for the next adventure....keeps cash on hand as cash in hand available during the travels.....works out well for us ..... especially when some travel scheduling is centered around school holidays at times.....

We keep a couple U.S. credit cards and use them for big purchases here. There have been three times that we've had to file a claim with the credit card company because the merchant didn't deliver what was promised and the credit card company took our side with the claim and was able to secure a refund for us. You don't have that protection with credit cards issued by Thai banks.

The most well-known example of us getting a refund was with the CM University Language Institute scandal. Hubby had signed up for their program and paid one-year on the credit card. When that program abruptly shut-down no one got a refund. It was big news in the expat community here in Chiang Mai about five years ago because many people had ED-visas thru this program and those were abruptly cancelled, too. (Hubby didn't have a visa thru the program, fortunately) The only people who got refunds from CMU were those who had paid with credit cards issued by foreign banks that stood behind their customers. None of the student who paid in cash or with Thai credit cards got refunds.

If you want a credit card nearly all the banks will give them if you have a work permit and a decent income in thailand.

I have 2 from 2 different local banks.

Sent from my c64

Edited by wow64

If you travel a lot within Asia, hard to do so without the use of a credit card. booking flights, hotels and such. no car rental without credit card. if you want to check in at a hotel of 4/5 - star standard, they will look at you like a criminal or even refuse your business if you can not produce a credit card as a deposit for the expenses.

if you live in the CHONNABOT for 365 days a year and your only travel activity is a visit to the local BIG C 50 Kilometers away in the provincial.....ermmmmm...... "Capital" once a month, then no doubt you can live a happy life without a credit card

• Like 2

Maybe in the fictional "undeveloping" world of Thailand you can however, go to the civilized world, and you cannot. Another fact as to why Thailand still lives in the dark ages.

I think Thailand is far more civilized. I pay all my bills in cash at the 7/11 or an ATM machine and Lazada and all of the other stores I use deliver COD. No problem. Never get ripped off with online banking security problems or some North Korean or Russian hacking into my credit card. Make the mortgage payment transfer the money at the bank and can also pay internet and electric at the cashier.

I used to get a kick out of walking around with a lot of cash, not so much anymore.

Guys that can't control their spending are much better off sticking with cash.

Someone steals my credit card(s), I am not responsible for any purchases they make. I cancel the card and have a new one with a new number in a day or two.

As others have said, hotel, flight and car bookings are much easier as are online purchases. Couple that with the great exchange rate you get and the convenience of almost never having to go to the bank or ATM and it seems like a no brainer to me. I also get cash back and the occasional discount, so whine I could get along without it, why would I want to? I can always get a fat wad of cash to flash around when I have a mind to…

Maybe in the fictional "undeveloping" world of Thailand you can however, go to the civilized world, and you cannot. Another fact as to why Thailand still lives in the dark ages.

I think Thailand is far more civilized. I pay all my bills in cash at the 7/11 or an ATM machine and Lazada and all of the other stores I use deliver COD. No problem. Never get ripped off with online banking security problems or some North Korean or Russian hacking into my credit card. Make the mortgage payment transfer the money at the bank and can also pay internet and electric at the cashier.

Seems like a lot of running around just to pay bills.

We keep a couple U.S. credit cards and use them for big purchases here. There have been three times that we've had to file a claim with the credit card company because the merchant didn't deliver what was promised and the credit card company took our side with the claim and was able to secure a refund for us. You don't have that protection with credit cards issued by Thai banks.

The most well-known example of us getting a refund was with the CM University Language Institute scandal. Hubby had signed up for their program and paid one-year on the credit card. When that program abruptly shut-down no one got a refund. It was big news in the expat community here in Chiang Mai about five years ago because many people had ED-visas thru this program and those were abruptly cancelled, too. (Hubby didn't have a visa thru the program, fortunately) The only people who got refunds from CMU were those who had paid with credit cards issued by foreign banks that stood behind their customers. None of the student who paid in cash or with Thai credit cards got refunds.

This is the reason credit cards are worth having if they're foreign issued.

For anything I mail order from overseas I use a UK issued credit card, anything else I just use my Thai debit card. Sometimes they insist on a locally issued card for 'fraud prevention'.

If anything I think a Thai credit card would be more of a liability than useful. If someone steals your Thai credit card details or clones the card who's going to be liable ? I'll bet it won't be the bank like it would be back in the UK / USA.

Seems like a lot of running around just to pay bills.

Go to the bank at Lotus 7 PM at night (bank is still open). Pay bills at the bank and at Lotus when checking out with the evenings meal. No running around. Unless you don't go to the grocery store either.