Bill Cosby jokes woman should be careful drinking near him

Lite Beer

Bill Cosby jokes woman should be careful drinking near him

LONDON, Ontario (AP) — Bill Cosby jokingly warned a woman in the audience during a show in Canada Thursday night to be careful drinking around him.

Cosby made the remark at his second performance in a row after a string of cancellations that followed sexual assault allegations from more than 15 women. Some of the women accused Cosby of drugging them by slipping something in their drinks before he assaulted them

A woman who got up from one of the front rows and walked past the stage was asked by Cosby where she was going. When she answered that she was going to the lobby to grab a drink Cosby responded: "You have to be careful about drinking around me." The remark was met with loud applause.

A few minutes later a heckler yelled at Cosby that he was a rapist.

Cosby stood up as the crowd started to boo the man and asked them not to respond. "No, no, stop," he said, waving his hands.

The man was removed from the theater by a police officer while one member of the audience yelled "we love you" to Cosby.

Cosby later addressed the disruption — the first at a show since the allegations surfaced — in a statement.

"Dear Fans: One outburst but over 2600 loyal, patient and courageous fans enjoyed the most wonderful medicine that exist for human-kind. Laughter. I thank you, the theatre staff (Budweiser Gardens), the event organizers and the London, ON Community for your continued honor and support. I'm Far From Finished," Cosby said in the statement issued by his publicist following the show.

Cosby, 77, is also scheduled to appear at the Hamilton Place Theatre in Hamilton on Friday and in a number of shows throughout the U.S. over the next few months, including two shows in Denver on Jan. 17.

The comedian, who starred as Dr. Cliff Huxtable on "The Cosby Show" from 1984 to 1992, earning a reputation as "America's Dad," has never been charged in connection with any of the sexual assault allegations. A 2005 lawsuit by a Pennsylvania woman was settled before it went to trial, and he is being sued by a woman who claims he molested her in 1974 and by three other women who allege they were defamed by the comedian when his representatives denied some of the allegations.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-01-10

He's a comedian. He tells jokes. What's he supposed to do? Your taxes?

well he's already been reduced to working in Canada. Can't get much worse for him. Maybe he should retire now...

anyway I thought he had a strict policy of not commenting on the allegations. Making jokes about them seems a bit risky...

Edited by bangon04
  • Like 1

He's a comedian. He tells jokes. What's he supposed to do? Your taxes?

well he's already been reduced to working in Canada. Can't get much worse for him. Maybe he should retire now...

Sure his reputation has been smeared, and it seems probably with good cause, but as long as he's a free man, he has the right to make his own decisions about working or not.

The allegations appear to be tissue thin, as well, his family and friends are sticking by him.....the offence was supposed to have happened 40 years ago, how many here can remember clearly, for a court case, so long ago?? rolleyes.gifclap2.gifwai.gif

Sadly many of these 'historical' claims of forced sexual relations are true and when evidence is produced that confirms the allegations then severe action should be taken.

Unfortunately genuine claims are often tail-gated by false claims made by people who either want their 15 minutes of fame or $$$.

Reading the comments in TV it would appear, sadly, but not unusual, that the TV expat Judge/Jury/Executioner have already found Mr Crosby guilty, before any evidence has been produced or any legal response tabled. Judging someone on the word of another, without any evidence being produced, is unfortunately a by-product of 'historical' claims and personality bias. Like him/her - cannot be true, dislike him/her - must be true!

Lets see.... 40 years ago when we had the new birth control pills and pills of all sorts. Pills were good back then, Blacks, Reds, Uppers, Downers. etc. Hollywood..... the place were every wantabee went to be discovered. The would do anything to cop a break, work anywhere, be anything to get noticed......Cosby....35 years old.... had contacts....money....time....energy. I suspect that he DID NOT bed 95% of the women who approached him. Wilt Chamberlin claimed to have slept with 7000 women during his career, mostly those wanting 20 seconds of fame.

All the stories are the same..... really I must be different than Cosby.... every girl is different and every situation is different....and they all kept silent until a little bit ago then suddenly emerged...... seems staged to me.....

No charges filed ever, one settlement common in high profile cases.

Also back then the girls never said yes..... there was NO.....No.....no......uh.....um.....ahh......difficult to translate at times.....but if it was really no, it was really no...

We need to get past this bashing by the press for 40 year old consensual sex and change the "Mass Murderer had troubled childhood" into he killed people......

The allegations appear to be tissue thin, as well, his family and friends are sticking by him.....the offence was supposed to have happened 40 years ago, how many here can remember clearly, for a court case, so long ago?? rolleyes.gifclap2.gifwai.gif

Lucky that Jimmy Savile popped his clogs before he could be charged for his vile, criminal perversions. But they did get Rolf Harris.

Or do you think there should there be a statute of limitations on sexual predation?

Geez, this made the news over here, I guess the other London is now on the map.

Don't know what to say, he hasn't been charged yet. I read at his first Canadian stop he started off his show but looking at the crowd and gave a somber thank you, as some of his other appearances had been cancelled.

Edited by Friendly Stranger