British bicycle maker lands in Bangkok

webfact

I would not advise riding a bicycle on the roads of Thailand unless you have a death wish.

I would not advise riding a motorcycle,

I would not advise driving a car,

I would not advise walking,

blah blah blah,

give it a rest will ya.

• Like 1

Wonder what sort of duty will be incurred. Do not know of any bicycle manufacturers in Thailand, so perhaps not so much.

Riding a bike around old Bangkok is quited okay; China Town, around government house, Samsen road, Hwa Loompong, all they way to Chongnongsi. The least pleasant place is around Sukhimvit.

The bikes on there website are priced at 74000-85000 Baht

Only 3 models listed!

If that not more expensive than a fino or a wave moped?

Pretty confident when I say that most Thais are far to lazy to pedal a bike

Put the cost at more than a moped and cannot see Thais being very interested

enough will be

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Wonder what sort of duty will be incurred. Do not know of any bicycle manufacturers in Thailand, so perhaps not so much.

Riding a bike around old Bangkok is quited okay; China Town, around government house, Samsen road, Hwa Loompong, all they way to Chongnongsi. The least pleasant place is around Sukhimvit.

Only 3 models listed!

Some points:

1) I drive a Honda Wave motorbike in Bangkok. If you are stationery at traffic lights with a few other motorbikes for any length of time, you sure know the air from fumes are unhealthy.

2) The whole reason that Thais drive cars in Bangkok is because they want to show they are rich and stay un-sweaty . The Brompton would not achieve either of these objectives in Bangkok.

3) Most Thais do not want to walk for 100 meters let alone cycle anywhere. Enthusiastic cyclists in Bangkok would not be riding a Brompton but more likely opt for a Hybrid Mountain Bike / Road Bike.

If I was manufacturing a bike for Bangkok and typical Thai people, it would be a strong reliable simple Hybrid Mountain Bike / Road Bike with 5 gear block (12 to 24 ) with 35 mm strong city tyres. The basis is already available in even in Big C.

74000-85000 Baht clap2.gif Yeah sure, i take two.... Are they frigging having a laugh ??

For that price i can buy two Honda Wave....

also i agree that Most Thais do not want to walk for 100 meters let alone cycle anywhere. s

ounds like this is going to be a business success story cheesy.gif

We clearly live in two different Thailand.............

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I would not advise riding a bicycle on the roads of Thailand unless you have a death wish.

Utter nonsense. I cycle between 500 & 700km a week and I find the roads safer than the UK where drivers are allowed to do 100km an hour on the tiniest of country lanes. Off course, like everywhere you have to be smart and look at what is going on around you. I note that motorcycle drivers bear the brunt of the New year casualties but when you look at how they drive and the amount of alcohol that some may consume then it is not surprising. Yes, Thai drivers are not the best in the word, but they are predictable. Beetlejuice if you want to come and try cycling with us in Chiang Mai I'd be delighted to show you the joys and pleasures of life awheel. But please don't post such nonsense.

I can remember once trying to cycle around the moat down by where the Computer Plaza is today. I wanted to continue going straight on and the bulk of the traffic decided to make a right turn. My little legs were peddling like crazy but could not make enough steam to get ahead of the right turning traffic, so it was either go with the flow or end up splattered all over the road. That`s was the end of my cycling days in Thailand. Still having nightmares about that 20 years on.

Thailand is changing Bettlejuice as the West have done and you are in for some surprises the next 20 years.

the bromptons advantage is that it folds to a very small size,but i like more the birdy,a full suspensionfoldingbike which is sold by pacificcycles.you can ride also longer distance with it more comfortable and the price is lower because its produced in taiwan.think the bromton is so expensive because of the high importtax same like with europaen cars

Utter nonsense. I cycle between 500 & 700km a week and I find the roads safer than the UK where drivers are allowed to do 100km an hour on the tiniest of country lanes. Off course, like everywhere you have to be smart and look at what is going on around you. I note that motorcycle drivers bear the brunt of the New year casualties but when you look at how they drive and the amount of alcohol that some may consume then it is not surprising. Yes, Thai drivers are not the best in the word, but they are predictable. Beetlejuice if you want to come and try cycling with us in Chiang Mai I'd be delighted to show you the joys and pleasures of life awheel. But please don't post such nonsense.

I can remember once trying to cycle around the moat down by where the Computer Plaza is today. I wanted to continue going straight on and the bulk of the traffic decided to make a right turn. My little legs were peddling like crazy but could not make enough steam to get ahead of the right turning traffic, so it was either go with the flow or end up splattered all over the road. That`s was the end of my cycling days in Thailand. Still having nightmares about that 20 years on.

Thailand is changing Bettlejuice as the West have done and you are in for some surprises the next 20 years.

You mean cyclists are learning how to cope with traffic?

If you're in the wrong lane, you'll end up in the wrong place.

I went to one of the current Brompton dealers, just for a walk really; a quaint little shop in the suburbs, I doubt they get much passing trade.

There's also an outlet near where I work, upstairs in a not-very-successful shopping centre. I think it's a company that relies on it's brand images, and people familiar with the brand hunting them out, rather than front-line marketing to the public. If you want a bike like that, and have the money to spend, I can;t think of a better product that will meet your needs

SC

Only 3 models listed!

If that not more expensive than a fino or a wave moped?

Pretty confident when I say that most Thais are far to lazy to pedal a bike

Put the cost at more than a moped and cannot see Thais being very interested

You need to get out more. Plenty of Thais from all walks of life cycle. Even the MIL uses one to get around the village. Kids love 'em. A couple of Thais i know just bought matching his and hers, 35k each, same price as a Wave.

• Like 1

I would not advise riding a motorcycle,

I would not advise driving a car,

I would not advise walking,

blah blah blah,

give it a rest will ya.

What about swimming? Any advice there? Edited by Manbing
  • Like 1

6000km of riding a bike in Thailand, no issues or accidents.

Very odd advice unless you're scared of your own shadow.

He said he wouldn't give advice. And quite right, too, as he doesn't sound like a very competent cyclist if he gets so distressed by one time finding himself in the wrong lane and having to take a wrong turn.

Happens to me often when I'm driving, but it doesn't put me off driving. I wouldn't give people general advice on whether to drive, though, as I'm not qualified to do so, and anyway I'd need to know more about their specific situation.

I think giving anyone advice to do something they don't want to is pretty futile, and not advising someone to do something that they want to do probably more so

SC

I think the Bromptons have a change to sell well to Thais who are relatively well of and don't want to ride to the park but want to ride in the park.

thats why theyll sell as you can take them on the bus or cab or tuk tuk.

It may well sell if they have the correct marketing for the thai mind set, the price is good at 75k...if cheaper it would,nt be a prestige thing, if they sell lycra gear with the bromton logo so as not to be mistaken as a lotto ticket or burmese peanut vender it might sell better but still limited.

I cycle in Bangkok and its environs regularly. As long as you use common sense you are quite safe. You simply need to be ready for the unexpected and you will be fine.

He's going to get the shock of his life when he sees that they sell bicycles for a 2,000 baht,

although from China but still can do they job, that is until they get stolen....

They will sell if the marketing is right. Just look at the high quality costly cars in Bangkok.

And those people that drive the high end cars cycle ? In the outside world, in the sunshine,in the heat, without air-conditioning and without the servants doing it for them ?

He's going to get the shock of his life when he sees that they sell bicycles for a 2,000 baht,

although from China but still can do they job, that is until they get stolen....

They will sell if the marketing is right. Just look at the high quality costly cars in Bangkok.

And those people that drive the high end cars cycle ? In the outside world, in the sunshine,in the heat, without air-conditioning and without the servants doing it for them ?

yes

Not everywhere is Bangkok. Down in the south where I bike are almost no cars on the street and these drive like they got an overdose of Valium. I would guess that some countrysides in the North and Northeast are the same.

I would love to cycle home from work every day but I just don't want to die so young

85,000 baht for a cicycle? - He can piss off back home

For that price I can buy a new Honda Phantom motorbike, and take all the effort out of cycling.

I would love to cycle home from work every day but I just don't want to die so young

For that price I can buy a new Honda Phantom motorbike, and take all the effort out of cycling.

you dont really get it do you?

That looks like a very PAINFUL pose! w00t.gif

I am 77 and at my age I would have to pedal twice as hard as the wheels on the split bike are half the size of the ones on my personal bike. I guess it will not be long before I must go electric and upgrade to 3 wheels. Ho hum life is rocketing by.

That looks like a very PAINFUL pose! w00t.gif

I am 77 and at my age I would have to pedal twice as hard as the wheels on the split bike are half the size of the ones on my personal bike. I guess it will not be long before I must go electric and upgrade to 3 wheels. Ho hum life is rocketing by.

the gearing is designed to compensate for wheel size so pedAL RPM doesnt

change from bike to bike.

Edited by AYJAYDEE

I cycle round the moat several times a week, never any problems, cars always give way.

Although, to be fair, I'm cycling faster than most of the cars.

• Like 1

Really.

Western manufacturers have had their day.

Asians do it better now.