How Do Motorcycle Taxis Work?

eldragon

Just out of curiosity, how does the motorcycle taxi system work? Or how is it supposed to work? I got the part about paying the driver to take you somewhere. But what goes on "behind the scenes"? The drivers buy a a permit from the local gov? Then they get assigned to a post and get to keep whatever money they make? And is their some kind of hierarchy at every post? Like, some system to determine who is in charge at a given time?

Also, what kind of corruption goes on within the industry? I'm aware that certain individuals buy permits, then resell em to people who either can't afford em or didn't meet the government's criteria to buy one on their own. But what else happens? Can drivers lend their vest to their friends that want to work a day here and there?

And is there some code of conduct that the drivers abide by? Like, is it considered uncool to stop and pick someone up at a location near one of the posts you're not assigned to?

I've also noticed at certain busy areas there are drivers with different colored vests. Does that mean anything?

• Like 1

Do you REALLY want, need to know ? It's something like trying to understand Thai logic. And that's not meant to be Thai bashing. Probably a bit like trying to understand a woman's logic. Most never will.

Just sayin..... Cheers..... Mal.

They usually have to pay a daily fee of 200 Baht but it varies widely according to the location to the local politician / police chief / army colonel who "owns" that soi or area.

A daily fee on top of the initial (annual?) one?

That is what I have read in the newspaper (Bangkok Post).

7 years ago, I did a calculation of what each driver would take in gross daily revenue on the busy BKK soi I used to live on, deducted motorcycle expenses (petrol, maintenance, capital expenditure = finance payments) which I knew very well since I also had a 125 cc bike and came up with a figure. The figure of net revenue was in excess of 500 Baht per day. This gives a black economy income of over 15,000 Baht a month, 7 years ago.

I do not believe the powerful figures who issue jackets would miss out on taking a cut of that sort of money.

So, I would say, yes, I believe a daily payment is required.

However, I am not sure how the initial "purchase" of the jacket is made and how the money is divvied up. I very much doubt it all goes to the local tesabahn or ket as an earlier poster suggested.

Edited by Briggsy
  • Like 1

They usually have to pay a daily fee of 200 Baht but it varies widely according to the location to the local politician / police chief / army colonel who "owns" that soi or area.

7 years ago, I did a calculation of what each driver would take in gross daily revenue on the busy BKK soi I used to live on, deducted motorcycle expenses (petrol, maintenance, capital expenditure = finance payments) which I knew very well since I also had a 125 cc bike and came up with a figure. The figure of net revenue was in excess of 500 Baht per day. This gives a black economy income of over 15,000 Baht a month, 7 years ago.

I do not believe the powerful figures who issue jackets would miss out on taking a cut of that sort of money.

However, I am not sure how the initial "purchase" of the jacket is made and how the money is divvied up. I very much doubt it all goes to the local tesabahn or ket as an earlier poster suggested.

15,000 per month before or after skim?

Do you REALLY want, need to know ? It's something like trying to understand Thai logic. And that's not meant to be Thai bashing. Probably a bit like trying to understand a woman's logic. Most never will.

Just sayin..... Cheers..... Mal.

I just thought he was writing a book and needed info for background characters.

15,000 per month before or after skim?

7 years ago figures. I estimated each driver was making a net 15,000 per month (after motorcycle expenses). I then was under the impression that a payment of 200 B per day was required to the queue owner. Thus leaving your motorbike taxi driver with a net income of 9,000 per month.

I am guessing that by "skim" you are referring to the daily payment required to the powerful figure that controls the queue.

Edited by Briggsy

They take a passenger,from point A to point B,for a fee.

They then return to point A and wait for another passenger,(also known as a fare)

.They buy the jacket,which gives them the right to work from the allocated location.

A jacket can cost as much as Baht 100,000 to acquire depending on the location.

Jackets in a good location are highly desirable,as a good living can be made with ease.

Jackets are in limited supply.

The hierarchy of taxi drivers is dependant on the model moto they have pcx is considered Hiso.

All moto taxi drivers have to buy a vest and get a GPS tracking system install behind their ear.

There is a strict code of conduct which all moto taxis have to adhere too.. Which is scare the shit out of 5 customers per day min... This is higher in tourist areas.

At a slight tangent....

How much are you suppose to pay for a journey, knowing full well the fare is negotiable?

I usually do a car-taxi journey that costs about 70 baht. But sometimes there are no taxi's available. Should the moto-taxi cost about the same, or less, or even perhaps, more?

At a slight tangent....

How much are you suppose to pay for a journey, knowing full well the fare is negotiable?

I usually do a car-taxi journey that costs about 70 baht. But sometimes there are no taxi's available. Should the moto-taxi cost about the same, or less, or even perhaps, more?

I don't think they're negotiable anymore. Or they're not supposed to be. And I'm not sure if they ever were, technically speaking. Most of the posts have and have had signs that indicate how much it costs to go to specific locations. I suppose if your destination is further than one of those locations, then it's negotiable. Also, if you approach a post and either can't read Thai or don't know what the rates are, then the driver may quote you an inflated price and possibly negotiate from there.

7 years ago figures. I estimated each driver was making a net 15,000 per month (after motorcycle expenses). I then was under the impression that a payment of 200 B per day was required to the queue owner. Thus leaving your motorbike taxi driver with a net income of 9,000 per month.

I am guessing that by "skim" you are referring to the daily payment required to the powerful figure that controls the queue.

200 baht per day seems pretty steep. In fact, I kinda doubt they pay a daily rate at all. Thais have always told me the average driver makes around 700 baht a day, and usually starts drinking when he/she hits that mark.

200 baht per day seems pretty steep. In fact, I kinda doubt they pay a daily rate at all. Thais have always told me the average driver makes around 700 baht a day, and usually starts drinking when he/she hits that mark.

700 Baht a day seems a huge amount even in today's environment. This is untaxed income too. This is way in excess of what a semi-skilled factory worker makes.

All motorbike taxi queues have a senior patron in the local police, military or politics. They make a significant income from controlling the queue. There has to be regular payments. I read that these are 200 Baht per day, higher or lower depending on the area. I got my info from the Bangkok Post and it seems to make sense financially.

We could always ask them but who knows what kind of answer we'd get and how close to the truth it was. Better to ask other Thais.

• Like 1

The Soi's off Sukhumvit Rd Bangkok seem to be divided between Motorcycle Taxis and the little 4-wheel 'Daihatsu' vans. You don't see both working the same Soi and Motorsai will not pick you up in the area the Daihatsu's are parked.

The Soi's off Sukhumvit Rd Bangkok seem to be divided between Motorcycle Taxis and the little 4-wheel 'Daihatsu' vans. You don't see both working the same Soi and Motorsai will not pick you up in the area the Daihatsu's are parked.

That's probably a traffic issue though. I don't think either one is poaching off the other. The Daihatsu drivers definitely aren't. That's the most straightforward form of transportation out there, besides the skytrain/subway. Love those little trucks.

I wonder about the vest fee price as some of the workers at my friends shop quit to be a moto taxi and there is no way they would have 20K baht to buy in......

Maybe they borrowed the money - perhaps from the person selling the vest

I wonder about the vest fee price as some of the workers at my friends shop quit to be a moto taxi and there is no way they would have 20K baht to buy in......

Maybe they borrowed the money - perhaps from the person selling the vest

There was an article about this in the Post recently. Big bosses, loan sharks, etc. buy the vests for people that can't afford em or don't meet the qualifications to drive, then sell em at an inflated cost.

That's probably a traffic issue though. I don't think either one is poaching off the other. The Daihatsu drivers definitely aren't. That's the most straightforward form of transportation out there, besides the skytrain/subway. Love those little trucks.

Eldragon, I am afraid I have to take issue with you again.

The little Subaru / Daihatsu taxis that control the sois west of Thong Lor defend their area with extreme violence against any poaching motorcycle taxis. The dividing lines where pick-ups can be made by one group or the other are clearly drawn. The reason there is no poaching is that they know what it would lead to. It is not a traffic issue. It is a monopoly defended with violence. Try approaching a motorbike dropping someone off on Suk 53 and you will see a very unequivocal refusal and possibly fear of being wrongly accused on the guy's face.

• Like 1

Some of this reply is based on an article I saw in the Bangkok Post years ago, some is based on my observations after having lived in Thailand for 19 years.

1. They pay an "entry fee" for the vest. I seem to remember the figure of B 20,000, though this may have increased, and may vary by location.

2. They are not supposed to poach riders in other territories, but I would not want to guarantee that this never occurs.

3. I think they pay the fee to the municipality, and that there are few, if any qualifications required, other than having a Driver's Licence.

I would not want to guarantee that vests aren't loaned or passed on to a new person from time to time. There may be an Inspector who is supposed to prevent this, but that is just a guess on my part.

4. The drivers that are on-shift at any particular time take riders on a rotational basis,at the front of the soi. There is usually a signboard with movable tokens, to keep everybody honest. Anywhere else within their territory,

any driver can pick-up any customer.

5. At the front of the soi, there is sometimes a signboard listing the fees to commonly requested destinations. Being able to read it, and having the correct change ready, will usually ensure that you are not overcharged.

6. They will usually agree to make a standing arrangement, for example if you want a pick-up at your place at the same time every weekday morning. This is more applicable if you are in an out-of-the-way location, such as at

the far corner of their service area, where you might have to wait a long time for one to come by.

nice overview, the jacket can be worth up to 60.000thb depending on the area. These vests could indeed be re-sold. But very recently a new law is introduced which requires the drivers to be registered. They get a new vest from the state which according to the article is non-transferable.
  • Like 2

After living in BKK a few years and generally having some knowledge what a m/c taxi fare should be, I've developed a habit of telling the guy where I'm going then giving him the fare before I get on his bike. There have been very few times in last couple years when the driver disagreed with my offer. This has also completely ended post-ride disputes over price.

BTW: I think the new signboards specifying fares have gone a long way towards eliminating the disparity between Thai & farang fares.

• Like 1

Eldragon, I am afraid I have to take issue with you again.

The little Subaru / Daihatsu taxis that control the sois west of Thong Lor defend their area with extreme violence against any poaching motorcycle taxis. The dividing lines where pick-ups can be made by one group or the other are clearly drawn. The reason there is no poaching is that they know what it would lead to. It is not a traffic issue. It is a monopoly defended with violence. Try approaching a motorbike dropping someone off on Suk 53 and you will see a very unequivocal refusal and possibly fear of being wrongly accused on the guy's face.

That's a shame. Violence seems unnecessary in that situation. For starters, most people seem like they have their mind made up on which form of transportation they're going to use. Then there's the fact that the little trucks are usually at least half the price of a motorcycle ride. Also, the truck is a straightforward process. 99/100 times, you know what you're getting. There's no stories that I'm aware of about customers getting mugged or raped by truck drivers. And I've never seen a truck driver that appeared drunk and/or surly. So I don't see many people who chose the trucks being tempted to upgrade to a motorcycle.

After living in BKK a few years and generally having some knowledge what a m/c taxi fare should be, I've developed a habit of telling the guy where I'm going then giving him the fare before I get on his bike. There have been very few times in last couple years when the driver disagreed with my offer. This has also completely ended post-ride disputes over price.

BTW: I think the new signboards specifying fares have gone a long way towards eliminating the disparity between Thai & farang fares.

Agreed. And agreed. In fact, looking around BKK, it definitely seems like general professionalism amongst motorcycle taxis is on the up and up. I haven't had an issue with a driver in months.