Thai Police Spokesman: Zigzag markings are common in Europe

webfact

Police Spokesman: Zigzag markings are common in Europe

In order to work dear "Police spokesman" ... you will need the other half of the equation...

Enforcement of road rules , especially slowing and stopping at pedestrian crossings is common in Europe

Just painting magic ju ju zig zag lines on the road alone won't actually work. Not even if a monk does the painting.

Edited by Fullstop

Zig-zag lines to confuse drivers into not killing pedestrians

By Coconuts Bangkok

zigzag.jpg

Photos: AkaravutTV9

BANGKOK: -- Next time the roadway seems to go all wavy, it might not be your criminal drunkenness to blame.

To warn motorists to slow down before pedestrian crossings and hopefully reduce the numbers of road-crossers killed on their feet, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration will paint intersections with wild zig-zag lines as a new traffic-calming measure.

Following numerous accidents, 15-meter-long, zig-zag lines will be painted before problem crosswalks, Suthon Anakul, Director of Traffic Engineering Office, said Saturday.

Suthon explained that the zig-zag lines would trick motorists to think the roads are narrower, causing them to slow down. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2015/01/12/zig-zag-lines-confuse-drivers-not-killing-pedestrians

cocon.jpg

-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-01-12

Gee, those lines depict the way Thai motorcyclists drive anyway.

This won't work. The double parked cars will obscure the lines from ever being seen.The driver will continue to overtake and accelerate into zebra crossings like so many out of control buffalo.

If the zebra crossing is ineffective, what are more lines going to achieve.

Traffic cameras, policemen and driver education is the answer.

more common sense for them to ignore and/or blame for their ignorance.

Impound their vehicles - then test their ability to drive - oh whats the point

they kill with impunity

they litter without thought

they have ruined their own country and will NEVER even know that they were and are at fault, its everyone else!!

let them live in their swill - once they all die off from malnutrition & poor hygeine, the entire region will be a cleaner, better place for the rest of us.

they have ruined their own country and will NEVER even know that they were and are at fault, its everyone else!!

let them live in their swill - once they all die off from malnutrition & poor hygeine, the entire region will be a cleaner, better place for the rest of us.

Why don't you tell us what you really think...... You don't think just a bit harsh here ???

Um not really to warn us to slow down . They are there to tell us not to park here as it reduces visibility around crossing áreas .

Besides:

1. They are of little use when the driver is doing 120 kmph

2. Drivers on yabba or whatever, often drive in a zig zag manner anyway

3. ... as did the last van driver (the very last for me) speeding at 140+ on the way to Mae Sot, swerving violently at high speed, it was sickening.

more common sense for them to ignore and/or blame for their ignorance.

Impound their vehicles - then test their ability to drive - oh whats the point

they kill with impunity

they litter without thought

Why don't you tell us what you really think...... You don't think just a bit harsh here ???

"You don't think just a bit harsh here ???"

Heck, no, Edgar was just being friendly.

Ziz zags at crossings will make little difference I spend a lot of time in Pattaya where a number of pedestrian crossings have traffic lights if you cross at these you are just as likely to get run over as the Thai drivers do not obey the signal.I believe most of them know little if anything about road rules.My brother in-law is a classic case,he drives for a living and cannot or will not answer any questions I pose to him about traffic rules.He drives like he is the only one on the road who matters,passing on double or unbroken lines or top of hills. I refuse to drive with him.Education and enforcement IS the only answer.

• Like 1

Um not really to warn us to slow down . They are there to tell us not to park here as it reduces visibility around crossing áreas .

Same in Australia. but I'll bet the song teaws still continue to park on the zebra crossing itself.

But we are not in Europe.

Where is the "Thainess"?

Why are we following Farang Democracy?

Both in Thailand and in Farangland, you can get some "commission" for letting an overpriced company paint useless markings on the street.

When you think about how big Thailand is, that is some Mega-Baht into someones pocket, if you only take 10%.

So we can all learn from each other.

Can't see many Thai drivers taking a blind bit of notice.

They park where they want especially if it's more convenient. Until there is a police force in Thailand and a real driving education and testing system nothing will change.

You know, I've never seen a tow truck in Bangkok or at least a very few that were carrying damaged vehicles. I believe towing of illegally-parked vehicles with a substantial retrieval fine would get a lot more attention than education and testing. Of course, they have trouble just putting boots on the vehicles consistently so I'm dreaming - poor people have poor ways.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Where is the "Thainess"?

In other countries the lines zig zag right to left. The much better Thai system will clearly show left to right zig zag zig to clearly show Thainess improved zigzagzigzag. wai2.gif Thank you for paying attention.

I can see it now. There will be Thai drivers zigzagging back and forth trying to stay between the lines. cheesy.gif

Disagree, they are not able to stay between the lines, rather zigzagging to keep the white line in the middle of the vehicle. Point the car down the road and follow the white line, no driving or thought process required.

It's interesting that the reason for zig zag lines and the restrictions they place on motorists, if understood by the police, are not given as the reason for them. Where education is lacking and policing impractical the best method of control is physical force; I hate to say it but "speed bumps" is the only answer.

If they want drivers to slow down, put a couple of speed-bumps prior to the crossing.

So that way when they "speed up" at the speed bump's,

they can "catapulte" them selves into the pedesterian crossing

killing many more.

Sorry, just couldn't resist.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Where is the "Thainess"?

In other countries the lines zig zag right to left. The much better Thai system will clearly show left to right zig zag zig to clearly show Thainess improved zigzagzigzag. wai2.gif Thank you for paying attention.

UGH....my brain snapped!

I have seen a lot of wasted money and paint over the last year or so. For example those red painted areas around turns like the one at swampy, what are they for? They even paint the ridiculously low speed limit for the curve in question on the road, as if reading the sign beside the road is not enough....

And then when the paint goes away they forget to repaint it, because then it is a new manager in place and there is no plan/schedule for re-painting. Because all decision making is day by day. After all, what IQ do you need to be painting manager??cheesy.gif

Of course the rubber farmers may be happier....