Red Shirts Banned From Redshirt Leader's Memorial Service

Lite Beer

Please don't give us pretentious quotes about free speech because this country has never been the bastion of free speech

O right so because it has never had true free speech it makes sense to support increased repression. What a superb argument thumbsup.gif

I fully understand everyones points about how appropriate it is but I am deeply uncomfortable with a regime which dictates what clothes you can wear or what books you can read etc. It shows just how paranoid they are and just how tenuous their grip on power is.

Ps Just because something is beyond your limited intellect doesn`t make it pretentious emot-kiss.gif

You call it repression, more intelligent people call it peace. It was only a year ago we had bombs and nightly gun fights going off. If the military wants to curb some expression so people can walk around near the city and not get blown up then go ahead.

That quote is used ad nauseum everytime some pretentious person like you brings up 'free speech'. Come up with something more original. It's easy to cut and paste a quote but that doesn't actually count as defending the right to speech 'to the death'. Haha

"Nightly gun fights" - behave yourself. To hear you and Djjamie you would think it was like Syria until the Dear One stepped in.

In reality we had a series of choreographed events (street protests, violence, legal action) to try and set the backdrop for a coup, so less enlightened members of the public like yourself would be fooled into thinking it was anything other than a cynical power grab.

I recall throughout Sutheps cringeworthy marches you were on here daily, creaming your pants at every move he made. It seems after all this time the penny still hasn`t dropped for you.

I`ve theorised before on here why anyone (outside of the hi-so elite who directly benefit from it) would be so pro coup. The demographic of a retiree, married to a pro red Issan peasant almost invariably fits the bill. You see yourself as so different from your Mrs and family and think the polar opposite must be closer to you. Sorry to break it to you bud, you dont look Thai middle class or hiso, just the bored retiree you surely are hopelessly.trying to find an identity in a foreign land.wai2.gif

Oh really? I guess the attacks on the protestors that happened on a nightly basis was just everyone's imagination? Do you even live here or are you one of those twits who are safely ensconced in the safety of their country while criticizing from afar? You're just one of those many conspiracy theorists who want to believe it was the boogeyman 'amarts' behind everything while ignoring the simple fact that the violence was caused by the 'peaceful' so called 'oppressed'. Whatever the case, there isn't much violence now is there?

The sad part of people who try to act intelligent is that they invariably fail so sadly. I work here and am nowhere near retirement age. Nor am I married and my GF and her family are a complete opposite of being pro reds from Isaan. Child, this has nothing to about finding an identity. I'm a practical person. I just like the peace. I mean you have to love the so called liberals who want 'freedom' and crap while bombs and gunfights are going on around them. Who wants bombs exploding near Central World except the naive 'liberals'? I will take martial law over violence anytime. clap2.gif

There were more attacks on others than the protesters. How about all the people and the country of Thailand in general were were attacked and are still being attacked by the protests? How about the Coup? That was caused by the protesters attack. How about all the money lost be ordinary citizens when these thug protesters took over BKK and other areas? How about the election that the protester thugs attacked? How about the loss of tourist monies because of the protester attacks? Bottom line is, "but for the protests attacking the citizens and their freedoms" the county would be without coup and peaceful. It was and still is "the protester's fault". If a few of them die....oh well. Oh yeah lest we forget, WHERE'S SUTHEP? Oh yeah hes lounging in a monkhood free and clear of all the damage he caused. Hmmmmm oh yeah hes a rat and puppet of the yellows. Did them a real good job!

So if there is a yellow shirt funeral, can red shirts wear red shirts or will they be required to don yellow shirts?

At a funeral people normally wear black, possibly white.

Why do you want to turn a funeral into a political rally with possible anti social consequences? Oh yes, you support the side that likes street violence.

Maybe in other countries they do. In Thailand they wear whatever they want. Shorts, tshirts, flip flops just everyday wear. If its ok for yellow people to wear yellow shirts, then it should be fair for red people to wear red shirts anytime they want. The bottom line is the only color accepted in Thailand is yellow. Pretty soon it will be the law and everybody will be required to wear yellow

What about all the people who wear yellow....guess they wont get banned.

Today was a Monday, I also wore yellow. Probably pink tomorrow, orange Wednesday (my personal favorite colour), Thursday green and Friday blue.

and on Sunday?

weekend, no shirt needed smile.png

• Like 2

Why do you want to turn a funeral into a political rally with possible anti social consequences? Oh yes, you support the side that likes street violence.

Maybe in other countries they do. In Thailand they wear whatever they want. Shorts, tshirts, flip flops just everyday wear. If its ok for yellow people to wear yellow shirts, then it should be fair for red people to wear red shirts anytime they want. The bottom line is the only color accepted in Thailand is yellow. Pretty soon it will be the law and everybody will be required to wear yellow
Dude I don't know what your smoking but you've smoked to much because everything coming out of your mouth is complete Shit !!!

And your point it what? Mine is whatever a person wants to wear is their business not the government which has the policy of do as I say or else. What color would you wear?

If you think that then you obviously have never been to a Thai funeral where nearly everyone wears black or white.

• Like 1

Today was a Monday, I also wore yellow. Probably pink tomorrow, orange Wednesday (my personal favorite colour), Thursday green and Friday blue.

and on Sunday?

weekend, no shirt needed smile.png

See there's always common ground in every "argument" lol

Dude I don't know what your smoking but you've smoked to much because everything coming out of your mouth is complete Shit !!!

And your point it what? Mine is whatever a person wants to wear is their business not the government which has the policy of do as I say or else. What color would you wear?

If you think that then you obviously have never been to a Thai funeral where nearly everyone wears black or white.

So you are telling me when the big yellow people funerals come, people will be wearing white or black. mmmm, for some strange reason I dont believe so. I watched a "thai funeral" couple nights back on TV. Not a single person was "dressed up." But probably because it was country folk who cant afford the government's properly approved funeral attire.

Don't like the Issan peasant reference but the rest is:

Spot on.

I also wonder about the 'red-shirt peasant Isaan girl' reference tully made. As if that helps his arguments.

As for 'choreographed' nightly gunfire, well ... For many months we had nightly gunfire aimed at anti-government protesters. In April 2014 the BangkokPost mentioned 100 grenades lobbed at them. Unknowns who didn't like the anti-government protesters and only wanted to show their dislike in a democratic manner. Allegedly that is.

they wanted to make a statement. They deserved to get banned.

Would you not rather live in a country where political statements can be made than one that represses anything different than the ruling elite? I think it`s safe to assume you were brought up in the former rather than the later, why the change of heart?

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to sayit." - Voltaire

Please don't give us pretentious quotes about free speech because this country has never been the bastion of free speech and like it or not, it's still under martial law and the red shirts are a semi outlawed organisation.

On the more practical side, red to Asians is a color for celebration. It's auspicious to wear it during Chinese New Year or weddings or most other joyous occasions. A memorial service isn't a joyous occasion.

Depends on who's died.

Who is the junta to say what people can or cannot wear to a funeral to show respect to a friend. When one of my close friends died we all wore blue. This was his request and if the police tried to stop us then they would have probably had a riot on thier hands. A total dictatorship telling people how to mourn and grieve and extremely offensive and sickening.

Don't you think black is so much more fitting to pay respect to a dear departed friend? There is no need to make political statements which only distract from the reason of the gathering.

post-58-0-52638300-1421126924_thumb.jpg

So you are telling me when the big yellow people funerals come, people will be wearing white or black. mmmm, for some strange reason I dont believe so. I watched a "thai funeral" couple nights back on TV. Not a single person was "dressed up." But probably because it was country folk who cant afford the government's properly approved funeral attire.

I agree with another poster about you being full of it. There is no such thing as government approved funeral attire. You are deliberately stirring the pot, trolling, call it what you will but what you write has no basis in reality. My gf is "country folk" & assures me that when people attend a funeral they wear either black or white

Who is the junta to say what people can or cannot wear to a funeral to show respect to a friend. When one of my close friends died we all wore blue. This was his request and if the police tried to stop us then they would have probably had a riot on thier hands. A total dictatorship telling people how to mourn and grieve and extremely offensive and sickening.

Difference is you were honoring and respecting your friend's wish. Not making a political statement or hoping to start trouble.

Stop trying to pretend this was anything other than a red PR stunt.

He was a highly popular man and they came to grief. Respect that. You don't wait for someone to die and stage a PR gathering. Insensitive and silly comment.

I agree with another poster about you being full of it. There is no such thing as government approved funeral attire. You are deliberately stirring the pot, trolling, call it what you will but what you write has no basis in reality. My gf is "country folk" & assures me that when people attend a funeral they wear either black or white

Its obvious you dont understand sarcasm. And if you look at the pic posted of sister Ying at the funeral, you will see every color of the rainbow in attendance, heck I even saw plaid. Again, my point is....it is not the governments right to tell people what color they can or cannot wear. Sorry, this isnt really a government its a junta. That means they can make up anything they want anytime they want. :) yes there is some sarcasm in here also.

Edited by 2fishin2

I have been to quite a few funerals when I wore a white shirt, but not black trousers and I was far from alone. Many people also did not wear white shirts. Some wore red.

The more money the more formal the funeral attire. It also depends on which day of the funeral, the day of the cremation being the most formal day.

Don't you think black is so much more fitting to pay respect to a dear departed friend? There is no need to make political statements which only distract from the reason of the gathering.

attachicon.gif20141019 Yingluck-at-funeral-of-Apiwan.jpg

Definately not if his request was no black. I believe it would be extremely disrespectful to do so and it would be like urinating on his coffin. Solders wear uniforms, bike clubs wear thier colours, police wear uniforms all in the name of respect. I don't like the reds but they were his group and if they want to honour him in uniform then let them show the highest honour they believe they can give. Disrupting a funeral is sickening and only the lowest pieces of excrement would do such a thing.

Making overt political statements at a funeral in these troubled times is not necessary but 'extremely offensive and sickening' and an obvious provocation !

How about some dignity and decency ?

Edited by Thrilla
  • Like 2

Apiwan, a former Pheu Thai MP and Deputy House Speaker, died of lung cancer while he was living in political exile in the Philippines on 7 October.

Perhaps his friends would have been more comfortable attending Apiwans funeral in his chosen country of residence. He was in exile for a reason, no need for red "uniforms" to antagonize the law abiding people of the country he fled.

• Like 1

attachicon.gif20141019 Yingluck-at-funeral-of-Apiwan.jpg

Definately not if his request was no black. I believe it would be extremely disrespectful to do so and it would be like urinating on his coffin. Solders wear uniforms, bike clubs wear thier colours, police wear uniforms all in the name of respect. I don't like the reds but they were his group and if they want to honour him in uniform then let them show the highest honour they believe they can give. Disrupting a funeral is sickening and only the lowest pieces of excrement would do such a thing.

"if they want to honour him in uniform" and "highest honour they believe they can give"

We're not really talking about the red army here, even when talking about UDD leaders and so.

BTW I wonder if any red-shirt still remembers that the late Apiwan was amongst the seven UDD Pheu THai party list MPs who voted in favour of the "blanket amnesty bill"

Not wanting political statements, I think it is realistic that anyone silly enough to try and wear yellow at the funeral might well be taken to the dressing room. But what if a million of them turned up & each one brought a litre of petrol. That would be enough to set the whole city alight, ........... or was that not about funerals and I am I confusing it with something else? Eric, or TSP would know. They can remember everything about their heroes.

Edited by The Deerhunter

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

They could have just gone in traditional mourning black and there would have been no problems. But these people decided to go in red so it's obvious they weren't there just to attend the memorial service, they wanted to make a statement. They deserved to get banned.

Plus, it says a lot about red shirt mentality when they gather to honor someone who has a history which is less than savoury.

Since when does any political figure not have their party colours displayed at a funeral or attended mostly by party supporters, red shirts red flags red lapel pin whats the bloody difference ? and Thais wear all colours of the rainbow to funerals just smart as they can, especially the poor, ive been to enough.

Stupid is as stupid does, all this does is let every red know there is NO chance of them being included in any move forwards. Reconciliation my ass, as if everyone dosnt already know it they have to keep reminding them publicly for all to see how excluded a major political group are going to continue being.

Real dumb move on the armys part imo after nearly 8 mths they are still banning a colour.....like to see them try it for Chinese new year. whistling.gif

Keep it up paranoid Junta but don't be surprised when a straw finally snaps the camels back or things come full circle at the trough again as they always do.

They will never ever learn the easy way it seems. facepalm.gif

• Like 1

Going to a private funeral is hardly provoking others, were there yellow shirts there to provoke? They were sending off a friend who would probably be honoured by their gesture. I find it disgusting that people not associated with the deceased would want to destroy his funeral.

How exactly did this "destroy his funeral" ?

Everybody peacefully complied

I find it disgusting that 'people not associated with the deceased' would intentionally pervert an OP to imply a 'destruction' that never happened !