Cider in thailand

ableguy

I read a lengthy article a few weeks back in a national newspaper that Singha brewing company were going to produce and mass market three different flavours of cider, They also had their predictions on future sales which were very high. As I recall the new brew was supposed to be available before the end of the year ( 2014) .

Anyone heard or seen anything on this.??

SIngha's Syder Bay is reasonable at a pinch but not a cider. It will, and has, served me OK for slaking a thirst over ice with a cigar, in the evening of a hot day. At 32B a pop one can't argue.

You could try;

http://www.ciderthailand.com

English is spoken. Not the cheapest option and delivery seems a logistic toughie.

They are based in Pattaya and you are free to drop in in the taxi on the way home and buy a case or two .

Better still, and for 'ale' fans is http://www.wishbeer.com who provide a range of Brother's and Weston's Ciders (UK) and a few others too at a decent price as well as a shedload of real ales (Ruddles, Mcewans, OSH, Fuller's, Young's, Well's, Courage etc). Wile not entirely cheap, they are decent value and they deliver fast too if you're in BKK/Central with excellent customer service. A New company who deserve a lot of custom from the expat community,

For one who harks back to the bad old days when word of there being a few can of Strongbow (or whatever) behind the bar of a pub in Pattaya or BKK could spark a frenzy, so more power to both of 'em I say.

SIngha's Syder Bay is reasonable at a pinch but not a cider. It will, and has, served me OK for slaking a thirst over ice with a cigar, in the evening of a hot day. At 32B a pop one can't argue.

You could try;

http://www.ciderthailand.com

English is spoken. Not the cheapest option and delivery seems a logistic toughie.

They are based in Pattaya and you are free to drop in in the taxi on the way home and buy a case or two .

Better still, and for 'ale' fans is http://www.wishbeer.com who provide a range of Brother's and Weston's Ciders (UK) and a few others too at a decent price as well as a shedload of real ales (Ruddles, Mcewans, OSH, Fuller's, Young's, Well's, Courage etc). Wile not entirely cheap, they are decent value and they deliver fast too if you're in BKK/Central with excellent customer service. A New company who deserve a lot of custom from the expat community,

For one who harks back to the bad old days when word of there being a few can of Strongbow (or whatever) behind the bar of a pub in Pattaya or BKK could spark a frenzy, so more power to both of 'em I say.

Appreciate the only serious reply. I have bought cans of strongbow in pattaya a few years back, now I live in Hua Hin and Makro occasionally have decent cider cans but when you see them buy at once as they only appear once to four times a year, Villa Mart also sell cider albeit 10 baht a can more expensive than Makro, what is strange when Makro has no cider there is none to be found any where in town, Tesco, villa mart, Makro, methinks I was young again I would start importing it as there must be a demand.

The article I read from Singha stated they would be selling Apple cider at 64 baht a small bottle and also that it was a brand new product , not some rehashed oldie.

Maybe I should give up on my dream of a regular supply.

PS moving to korat in two months anyone there know where I can buy.

Appreciate the only serious reply. I have bought cans of strongbow in pattaya a few years back, now I live in Hua Hin and Makro occasionally have decent cider cans but when you see them buy at once as they only appear once to four times a year, Villa Mart also sell cider albeit 10 baht a can more expensive than Makro, what is strange when Makro has no cider there is none to be found any where in town, Tesco, villa mart, Makro, methinks I was young again I would start importing it as there must be a demand.

The article I read from Singha stated they would be selling Apple cider at 64 baht a small bottle and also that it was a brand new product , not some rehashed oldie.

Maybe I should give up on my dream of a regular supply.

PS moving to korat in two months anyone there know where I can buy.

It would seem to be a problem with distribution possibly the product coming from 'Cider Thailand".

As stated the Singha product isn't a cider as we know it though one hopes it may spark a local taste/fashion/demand in the real thing. The Syder Bay from Singha is a reasonable substitute at only 32B a bottle in three flavours (Peach, Pear/Apple, Another I can't make out but think it's 'berry'). While lacking the throat stinging bite of a true cider, over ice it tickles the tonsils so does at a pinch.

For the time being I'd suggest getting together with a few pals and placing an order with Wishbeer, (I think the bigger the order, the lower the delivery charge) and contacting Cider Thailand about getting supplies.

I'd guess there are expats enough in Khorat to make placing orders with the two companies worthwhile.

Good luck with your move.

I've seen Thatchers bottled cider on sale in Best Supermarket in Pattaya; can't comment on the quality. I wouldn't drink it myself. Should we distinguish between cider & scrumpy? There's a drink.

I brew my own cider have a brew room in my garden in Patts

Works out at 20/25 Baht a pint all in my lovers

Syder Bay is available at the 7/11 now. Quite a few bars are stocking it too, I started seeing the signs a few weeks back and wondered what it was. Haven't tried it because I've not been a cider drinker for years.

I used to be a big Westons Vintage fan, 8.9% or something it was, 2 bottles and I'd be drunk. Saw it in Villa many years ago but not since. Though they have Savannha (South African) which is a decent cider and it's not too pricey.

You can still get some Westons on tap and the expat pubs sometimes have a decent selection. Robin Hood in BKK has a big selection (I think they claim to have the biggest selection in BKK), Strongbow, Magners, Thatchers, Green Goblin, Brothers and others possibly.

Years ago I drank a Thai cider in Chaing Mai called something like Full Moon Nuklear Cider, only ever saw it in that one pub and never before or since. Was decent enough.

Edited by TheSpade

I've seen Thatchers bottled cider on sale in Best Supermarket in Pattaya; can't comment on the quality. I wouldn't drink it myself. Should we distinguish between cider & scrumpy? There's a drink.

I brew my own cider have a brew room in my garden in Patts

Works out at 20/25 Baht a pint all in my lovers

Any chance you can post me up, some of that fine quality brew for me to sample biggrin.png

Been looking at and thinking of brewing my own cider,, what sort of set up have you got for brewing?? did the set up cost you an arm and a leg?

Edited by welsh1

• 1 year later...

I just want to inform you about a new cider sold in Thailand . It's an import from the UK and the good news it's only 95 baht for 500ml. Premium Black Rat Cider , natural dry apple cider. I bought my first can today. Compared with the local products this is not a lot more expensive , the bottles here sells at 49 baht for 330ml and the local brands are just too sweet. This is the real deal if you want a dry cider not too sweet.

2016_07_21_19_58_11.jpg

Edited by balo