Air Asia or Thai Airlines from BKK to Chang Mai

RichardThailand

I have two options:

• Air Asia - 1,819.93 after 20kg of luggage for one person including airport charges and baggage - 4:55pm
  • Thai Airways - 1800 flying from suvarnabhumi. has 3 time 3:05pm, 5:25pm, and 6:40pm

I have never taken any of these flights before.

Can anyone tell me if they think it's worth paying the additional 300 baht for Thai Airways flying out of Suvarnabhumi.

No jokes / comments relating to AirAsia safety please.

Thanks

Edited by RichardThailand

Are there any additional Baggage Charges etc for Air Asia ?

I find their website a little misleading to navigate - hence recently when making a similar decision I chose Thai Smile....

Thanks for mentioning this. Yes there were some additional charges and I updated the price in the post to reflect that so now Thai Airways are a little cheaper plus I can get to the airport by train which is a plus for me as I don't much like the taxis here.

Edited by RichardThailand
  • Like 1

AA fly out of DMK, factor that into your budget and travel plans, also have to pay extra for baggage, seat selection

I recommend Nok air and Thai Lion Air, cheap but no extra charge for bags and seat selection. Keep in mind they too fly out of DMK

• Like 1

AA fly out of DMK, factor that into your budget and travel plans, also have to pay extra for baggage, seat selection

I recommend Nok air and Thai Lion Air, cheap but no extra charge for bags and seat selection. Keep in mind they too fly out of DMK

+1 for NOK air. flown them many times decent and fun flights.

• Like 1

I have recently discovered bangkok airways, mid price between the LCC-thai,on a recent flight to CNX, we were served with a meal, fish curry with rice, totally unexpected on a domestic flight, not to mention the lounges @ either airports, free tea, coffee, internet,They know how to charge on their exclusive routes, but on competitive popular routes they are my choice, I even joined frequent flyer, impressed.

cheers S.S.coffee1.gif

• Like 2

100% no question take Thai Airway. I have flown both and I can tell you the service on Thai Airways is MUCH better. They also wont try and charge you for food, baggage, a seat assignment, and everything else Air Asia charges for. When I came back from Chiang mai on Air Asia they tried to charge me 1,000 baht to make me check my carry on bag because it was over the 10 kg limit or something.

Air asia and Thai both say max weight of a carry on bag is 7kg...this is all over their website as well as signs at the airport....so to blame them for charging you for over 10 kg is hardly their fault as you didn't bother to read or honor the limits.

I have found that they rarely weigh a carry on bag UNLESS it appears to be clearly over the limits...I for one would prefer that the airlines do a better job of enforcing size of carry ons as some people seem to think they can bring anything they want onboard and hog all the space.

As for food,and seat assignments...do you really need that for a one hour flight? If so then by all means pay more for it but I don't really want or need it and don't want to subsidize those who do. That is why Air Asia is ala carte pricing...buy and pay ONLY what you need/want.

• Like 2

Got some of the family up again next week with Nok from Don M.at 900 Bt each which they are happy with and find on a good day ...booking ... ahead you can usually get Air Asia and Thai Lion at around the same price ...sub 1 K.Bt.

Been giving Thai a miss over the last couple of years (Pzzed me off) but they are doing a single at the moment from Suwanna for @1500 Bt near enough the same as Bangkok Airways...which I prefer......

They ( Bangkok Air) have also just revamped their Lounges so as said above ....with coffee,cakes, sarnies and good internet .that's the way ahead.

Always leave time of course to grab a pint or 2 in the Bill Bently Bar.....well you got to.....all part of the fun....init...

100% no question take Thai Airway. I have flown both and I can tell you the service on Thai Airways is MUCH better. They also wont try and charge you for food, baggage, a seat assignment, and everything else Air Asia charges for. When I came back from Chiang mai on Air Asia they tried to charge me 1,000 baht to make me check my carry on bag because it was over the 10 kg limit or something.

Air asia and Thai both say max weight of a carry on bag is 7kg...this is all over their website as well as signs at the airport....so to blame them for charging you for over 10 kg is hardly their fault as you didn't bother to read or honor the limits.

I have found that they rarely weigh a carry on bag UNLESS it appears to be clearly over the limits...I for one would prefer that the airlines do a better job of enforcing size of carry ons as some people seem to think they can bring anything they want onboard and hog all the space.

As for food,and seat assignments...do you really need that for a one hour flight? If so then by all means pay more for it but I don't really want or need it and don't want to subsidize those who do. That is why Air Asia is ala carte pricing...buy and pay ONLY what you need/want.

Clearly we have different standards for traveling. You want to save a few baht and do the following:

• read websites for every detail
  • carry almost no luggage or pay for checking baggage
  • wait in line forever
  • get treated like a POS at the counter
  • have no free snacks on the plane
  • have no seat assignment
  • have no lounge access

I on the other hand like to go the Star Gold line and be treated like a human being. I don't have to worry about any of the things above. And as mentioned above the price on Thai is actually cheaper!

Even when I flew Thai when I wasn't star gold, they treated me much better than my experience on Air Asia.

• Like 1

And get treated like cattle, sorry cattle get better treatment.

Clearly we have different standards for traveling. You want to save a few baht and do the following:

• read websites for every detail
  • carry almost no luggage or pay for checking baggage
  • wait in line forever
  • get treated like a POS at the counter
  • have no free snacks on the plane
  • have no seat assignment
  • have no lounge access
I on the other hand like to go the Star Gold line and be treated like a human being. I don't have to worry about any of the things above. And as mentioned above the price on Thai is actually cheaper!

Even when I flew Thai when I wasn't star gold, they treated me much better than my experience on Air Asia.

It is of course up to you...but I have flown air asia dozens of times and have never had a problem in reading a few words on a website, I usually carry very little luggage and if I do I make sure to check and pay when over the allowance...I rarely wait in line and have been treated very well at the check in counter....I don't want or need a free snack, always get a decent seat assignment by asking nicely at check in counter with no extra fee...but you are right that I don't have access to a lounge which I really don't need for a one hour flight.

I would be willing to bet that 9 out of 10 times Air Asia will be significantly cheaper than Thai and have a newer plane as well but by all means do continue flying Thai if that is what rings your bell. Air Asia runs a good airline and if there were no air asia you can bet your checked bag that the prices on Thai would be considerably higher. Competition is generally a good thing and we're all free to make our own choices....and I also prefer DM to BKK so that is my choice.

• Like 2

It is of course up to you...but I have flown air asia dozens of times and have never had a problem in reading a few words on a website, I usually carry very little luggage and if I do I make sure to check and pay when over the allowance...I rarely wait in line and have been treated very well at the check in counter....I don't want or need a free snack, always get a decent seat assignment by asking nicely at check in counter with no extra fee...but you are right that I don't have access to a lounge which I really don't need for a one hour flight.

I would be willing to bet that 9 out of 10 times Air Asia will be significantly cheaper than Thai and have a newer plane as well but by all means do continue flying Thai if that is what rings your bell. Air Asia runs a good airline and if there were no air asia you can bet your checked bag that the prices on Thai would be considerably higher. Competition is generally a good thing and we're all free to make our own choices....and I also prefer DM to BKK so that is my choice.

You make some valid points. Air Asia has definitely helped to drive the price down for the Thai airways flight. It was 3000 baht higher before one year ago when I booked the Thai Airway ticket. Now it is about the same price as stated above.

When I am on vacation I like to be treated well. One of the main benefits of living in Thailand is that the service industry is so good here. For me those added perks make the experience so much more enjoyable.

You make some valid points. Air Asia has definitely helped to drive the price down for the Thai airways flight. It was 3000 baht higher before one year ago when I booked the Thai Airway ticket. Now it is about the same price as stated above.

When I am on vacation I like to be treated well. One of the main benefits of living in Thailand is that the service industry is so good here. For me those added perks make the experience so much more enjoyable.

Ah yes but generally when I fly I am really not on vacation....or maybe I am as everyday is a vacation day. I did not realize Thai has finally dropped their prices as I haven't even looked in a long time....air asia came along and was so much cheaper than Thai a few years ago that I gave up on Thai....used to fly them a lot but I think they got cocky and air asia and a few other low fare carriers perhaps have knocked them back down a peg or two.

Nothing against Thai as had some good flights...well maybe except for one that I was booked on March 3 2001 bkk to CM....it exploded at the gate as I was ready to board....everyone thought it was a bomb as it turned out Taksin was booked on same flight...fortunately for me and the other passengers Taksin got caught in traffic and they were delaying boarding waiting for him....as I recall one or two flight attendants died...it was one hell of a fireball as the plane burned to a crisp right there at the gate....turns out it wasn't an assassination attempt but a leak in a fuel line as finally determined by Boeing...no doubt boeing would have preferred it NOT be mechanical but apparently it was....and I lived to see another day...lucky.