Thai surrogate mothers demand custody of babies

webfact

Surrogate mothers demand custody of babies
AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE

BANGKOK: -- THE SURROGATE mothers of nine babies fathered by a Japanese man and taken into care by the authorities last year have launched legal proceedings to regain custody of the infants, an official said yesterday.

The alleged father, who at the time was reported by Japanese media to be the son of an information-technology millionaire, left Thailand as a surrogacy scandal erupted in August after the discovery of nine babies in a Bangkok apartment.

Tests revealed he is the biological father of at least 15 babies born to surrogates in the Kingdom, though his motives for fathering so many children remain unclear.

Thai social services have been caring for the nine infants for the last six months, although the mothers have been allowed regular visits.

Six of the mothers, who police said were each paid around US$12,500 (about Bt409,000) to be surrogates, have now launched civil proceedings to get their babies back.

"They are seeking custody of the children," said Suvanna Pinkaew, an official from the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security.

Their lawsuit, filed at a juvenile and family court, alleges that authorities are failing to care for the children adequately, she added, though she rejected the accusation.

"We never said the mothers could not get the children back ... but they need to pass through the ministry's process," Suvanna said.

That process includes proving they can care for the children and have a child-safe family background, the official added.

Thailand's shadowy commercial surrogacy industry was thrust into the limelight last August after accusations that an Australian couple had abandoned a baby born with Down's syndrome, but took his healthy twin sister. The couple denied deliberately leaving the boy, called Gammy, with the Thai surrogate mother, who was paid around $15,000 to carry the twins.

Paid surrogacy is officially banned in the country and authorities moved to close several in-vitro-fertilisation clinics in the weeks after the scandal.

A new law to tighten loopholes is also under consideration by the National Legislative Assembly.

It carries tough penalties that could see anyone found guilty of involvement in the trade jailed for 10 years.

Dozens, possibly hundreds, of foreign couples are thought to have been left in limbo after entering surrogacy arrangements through clinics in the Kingdom before the scandals.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Surrogate-mothers-demand-custody-of-babies-30251929.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-01-15

"Six of the mothers, who police said were each paid around US$12,500 (about Bt409,000) to be surrogates, have now launched civil proceedings to get their babies back."

Looking for another payment?

Wonder if the father is behind this?

Makes sense for him to do so I guess.

• Like 1

IMHO looks like the Father wants better care for the kids so the surrogates knowing his wealth fancy their chances of taking care of these babies and getting paid for doing so. How many other babies have they tried to get back. I doubt they were virgins or maybe they were.

They were women all desperate enough to enter into a contract as a surrogate mother and had no interest at the time of keeping the babies and were willing to give them up very easily for the money. Now they seem to be concerned and want the babies or maybe they think they can get more money somehow. One woman said that she was not sure whether her eggs or someone else. A traditional surrogate uses the woman's eggs whereas a gestational surrogate uses another woman's eggs. So has anyone mentioned what has actually taken place here? Are these women genetically indeed connected to the babies. I hope someone has checked.

this is the FIRST time I have EVER heard of Thai women or 'men' actually wanting 'their own' children.

Plenty of wanting other peoples children for deviant pleasure/profit!!

In my personal experience it has always been a case of 'get rid of the annoying kid/s ASAP' send them to the country so they wont be a burden etc.

i have 2 children im not permitted to see/know because of disgustingly greedy locals and their money hungry families.!!

and its the children that suffer the most from this narrow-minded mentality!

Edited by edgarfriendly

this is the FIRST time I have EVER heard of Thai women or 'men' actually wanting 'their own' children.

Plenty of wanting other peoples children for deviant pleasure/profit!!

In my personal experience it has always been a case of 'get rid of the annoying kid/s ASAP' send them to the country so they wont be a burden etc.(until they can work/steal/beg/earn)

i have 2 half thai children im not permitted to see/know because of disgustingly greedy locals and their money hungry families.!!

and its the children that suffer the most from this narrow-minded herd mentality!

late edit^^

New life IVF who sold 2 of the babies to the Gay Men exposed. they are still running even though Getty Images has a captioned image of their front door saying the Royal Thai Police shut them down. They are still selling babies to mostly gay men!

https://victimsofgaybullying.wordpress.com/2014/12/28/auspol-abcnews24-gov-tv-praises-illegal-unlicensed-criminal-human-trafficking-new-life-surrogacy-centre-for-selling-babies-to-gay-men/

Well the surrrogacy centres claimed by Thai news to be closed by the police are still operating illegally. I went there in person and I have the video if anyone doubts me!