Forget Diet and Exercise - Blame our Hormones!

His Masters Voice

Hormones could trick brain into telling body to lose weight,

5375860-3x2-340x227.jpg

The secret to shedding stubborn weight may be all in the mind, according to researchers examining how brains can instruct our bodies to burn more fat.

The team ... uncovered how the combined action of two naturally-occurring hormones can trigger the conversion of what is known as white fat to brown fat, which is easier to burn off.

They unravelled a molecular mechanism that relies on the combined action of leptin, an appetite suppressant in fat cells, and insulin, produced in the pancreas when glucose levels rise.

I read it because my New Years Resolution is to drop 12 Kilos in 6 months.

Make me a hansum man again.

I have to be strong this year.

Tomorrow I will start my diet, in the meanwhile, pass me the Bagel with smoked salmon and cream cheese please.

Tonight I eat, because tomorrow I diet!

Just for clarification, I'm simply just relaying what I read recently, in the Opening Post.

I'm not necessarily agreeing with the substance of it. I just thought it made interesting reading.

I have read a whole book on leptin and ghrelin, its nice to read but basically there is no affordable inject-able version of both so its academic. Things like exercise help with these hormones so does good sleep and certain foods. But all these hormones an stuff they do influence it but by minute amounts (far less as one would restrict calories) The reason that it still works (those hormones) is that if your blessed with the right amounts it will work 24/7 year in year out and then it all ads up.

However if you could now change those hormones you would not magically quickly change.. it would go real slow and take years.

you did not gain your extra kgs in a year.. so even with the right hormones and stuff you won't loose it that fast. However if you change your food you can exert far more influence.

• Like 2

Well everyone knows that as T levels drop so to stomachs grow bigger.

So it is no great surprise that hormone levels and T levels are important factors in keeping weight off.

Estrogen is the big enemy for males.

Look at all the young guys running around these days with man boobs.

If you are over 50 you have an excuse but there are tons of young men with man boobs these days so yeah hormones do play a role in weight loss and gain.

There could be a number or reasons for excess estrogen and most of them are linked to modern lifestyle and degraded food, plastics, PCPs, herbicides, pesticides, EMFs, poor diet, excess sugar consumption etc.

Edited by Tolley
  • Like 1

why does everyone run for the medical cure ? our bodies are capable of healing themselves ....just give it the right enviroment to do that .... REAL FOOD & moderate exercise ....have a read about a rarely discussed subject ..APPESTAT ....

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/appestat

keep the appestat fueled at all times is the key .... not hard to do , but would science agree ?

why does everyone run for the medical cure ? our bodies are capable of healing themselves ....just give it the right enviroment to do that .... REAL FOOD & moderate exercise ....have a read about a rarely discussed subject ..APPESTAT ....

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/appestat

keep the appestat fueled at all times is the key .... not hard to do , but would science agree ?

Usually by eating the wrong and not exercising your hormones will go out of balance.

However all these things mentioned are small 1-5% extra burn per day (maybe) there is much more to be won by a better diet and exercise. However these hormones that do burn 1-5% more in healthy persons do so 24/7 year after year so it does add up.

I have personally tried a few artificial hormones and such and on me the results were not that spectacular, far from the miracle people make it out to be.

So it is no great surprise that hormone levels and T levels are important factors in keeping weight off.

If you are over 50 you have an excuse but there are tons of young men with man boobs these days so yeah hormones do play a role in weight loss and gain.

There could be a number or reasons for excess estrogen and most of them are linked to modern lifestyle and degraded food, plastics, PCPs, herbicides, pesticides, EMFs, poor diet, excess sugar consumption etc.

There are ways to regulate hormones and many clinics exist to balance male and female hormone levels. Arimidex is an estrogen blocker for breast cancer, not a toxic chemo-therapy drug, but it blocks the natural development of too much estrogen. Combined with T replacement for the aging male, of course under doctor supervision, combined with moderate exercise, and man boobs and the other unnatural body fat can be shed in due course. Trainers say it takes 6 weeks for you to see the difference, another 6 weeks for your friends to notice it, and another 6 weeks for the world to notice it. For some, a week or 2 early.

Just reading the why to run to the clinic reply above. If you age, you lose a lot of ability to make the hormones you could when you were much younger. Running to the clinic is why we all live past the 40 to 45 years that was the average 100 years ago. Modern medicine is making us live longer, not necessarily take care of our bodies better. The boost many aging males get from what I have written above, improves quality of life.

Of course, quality of food, sleep and exercise are also needed with chemical balance for many.

Edited by jmccarty

No your T levels don't make your stomachs grow bigger. Eating too much makes it.

Low T levels makes it much harder to remain slim but it doesn't make you fat itself.

<deleted> ? why would you be getting hormones? another case of the drug companies and supplement suppliers preying on the weak ...i just dont get how lazy people can be , any excuse to take the easy path ..... no pain no gain !!

i dropped 12 kilo in 1 year.

Stop eating pork and drink lots of water.

Chicken , beef and fish is ok. (no KFC )

Don't be Thai and only eat 3 meals a day, big breakfast , small lunch and early small dinner at 5pm latest.

This way you can still enjoy your bagel with smoked salmon every now and then.

Good luck thumbsup.gif

can i ask what your health and general well being was as a comparison ..before and after ?

well done

Don't be Thai and only eat 3 meals a day, big breakfast , small lunch and early small dinner at 5pm latest.

Good luck thumbsup.gif

I lost 15Kg in 2 years, just through exercise.

I cycle 40Km, 3 days a week (or more), can eat whatever I want.

Actually, I have to eat more than I want to keep my weight up.

• Like 1

Good luck thumbsup.gif

perhaps increase some more good fats , far better source of energy ...general health improved ?

Rather than blame "your" hormones, if you're a meat eater and/or eat dairy blame the hormones you're consuming.

That also goes along with the estrogen mimicking pesticides as well as the chemicals that leach out of plastics into your food.

• Like 1

Good luck thumbsup.gif

Correct and so simple

Energy in (calorie, kilojoules, food call it what you will) - energy out

If energy in is greater than energy out - guess what it has to go somewhere - usually stored as fat.

Diets etc may work, except that the people needing to go diets usually have underlying lack of energy expenditure issues initially i.e. laziness.

I'm not Charles Atlas but I swore off Coke as anew years resolution- lost over 2kg so far.

And that is all I have done - but I'd drink maybe 2 litres a day. 6 foot down to 111kg - still too much, but the journey of a 1000 miles starts with the first step.

I also stopped smoking after 40 years - which has made me hungry - but overall its worked out pretty good so far!!

• Like 1

Some comments on this topic.

First: The headline is rather over the top PROVOCATIVE and does not reflect the article referred to in any kind of HONEST way (I put that in the POLITE way)

Second: It's like nobody has even read the article.

Anyway, there is nothing in the article telling people not to rely on food intake control (type of food and portions) and exercise in any current weight loss attempts. What it was about is some scientific research that may or may not lead to future clinical applications that can help some people who are having trouble with weight control with diet and exercise alone, which is basically MOST people who have weight control issues (long term).

The idea that insulin and leptin are factors in weight control issues is not new. A panacea / "holy grail" exploiting what is known about them (and other biological factors such as GUT BACTERIA, and others) does not yet exist and may indeed never exist.

On the food choices vs. exercise balance, the overall consensus of scientific thought these days is that food intake is the MUCH more important factor relative to exercise. Now if you're an individual that doesn't apply to, that does not in any prove any grand theory that would apply to all or most people.

Cheers and best of luck to all with weight control issues, including maintenance of weight loss, in the coming new year!

Edited by Jingthing

There are always excuses why people are fat.. guess what you can almost always alter it yourself. It just take action but people prefer to blame some outside reason why it wont happen.

Though there are things like difference in metabolic rate / differences in appetite and many others. Thing is nobody said it would be easy, if it was easy to be lean then everyone would be lean and muscular.

For some it is more difficult for some it is more hard, but EVERYONE who eat less will loose weight.

This is generally true. I 100% support HRT, Hormone Replacement Therapy for men. When dont need support; they have always had it as an option. For any man over 40 concerned about weight I would order a hormone profile first. Some are averse to hormones but when pushed they cant actually say why other than the negative perceptions of their abuse in body building. Most people I know (Males) take HRT from late 40s on. Most swear it changes their lives.

There are always excuses why people are fat.. guess what you can almost always alter it yourself. It just take action but people prefer to blame some outside reason why it wont happen.

Though there are things like difference in metabolic rate / differences in appetite and many others. Thing is nobody said it would be easy, if it was easy to be lean then everyone would be lean and muscular.

For some it is more difficult for some it is more hard, but EVERYONE who eat less will loose weight.

This is generally true. I 100% support HRT, Hormone Replacement Therapy for men. When dont need support; they have always had it as an option. For any man over 40 concerned about weight I would order a hormone profile first. Some are averse to hormones but when pushed they cant actually say why other than the negative perceptions of their abuse in body building. Most people I know (Males) take HRT from late 40s on. Most swear it changes their lives.

I agree anyone can lose weight with calorie restrictions but losing weight is not the goal -- KEEPING the weight off is the goal. People get into trouble when their body adjusts to severely restricted calories and then when they've lost weight, their body thinks they have been starving and has it's own wisdom about packing the weight back on when they start eating more "normally" again (metabolism reset). It is a well known fact the vast majority of people who lose weight do regain the weight, and it's too simplistic to judge them as having no will power ... their bodies are FIGHTING their efforts.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1