Forget Diet and Exercise - Blame our Hormones!

His Masters Voice

Just as a practical matter it is more efficient to cut calories than burn them. Look at any chart of time to burn on common foods.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

yes it is amazing how far you can jogging with one piece of cake.....Unless you have a lot time and determination you won't make a big change with only exercise.

When you have already a good diet you can earn yourself a bottle of beer with some exercise......And it refresh you to pump the blood a bit around + while you exercise you don't have time to eating.... But the burned energy is usually relative low.

Additionally many of the electronic devices that show you the burned kcal are made to make the customer happy and show way too much.

It's not just the calorie burn during the excercise it's increase in muscle mass which in turn will burn more calories even while sitting at a desk.

Well just being candid about all aspects of my diet. I think that is why I think exercise is so important. I guess I am just one of those few you mentioned.

I must say while I eat crap, Jt talks garbage.

Sour or what!

Here is some sweet.

You're on an overweight and obesity related health related forum and have never been overweight. Congratulations! Weird ... but whatever.

You claim you eat a lot of very unhealthy foods.

You should definitely stop doing that.

It's not only about not being overweight ... it's about being healthier.

Mainstream medical science is conclusive on that ... no amount of exercise "undoes" the damage you are doing to your body with an unhealthy diet, yes, even if you know you never will have a weight issue.

It's not very difficult to learn which foods are decent and which you need to greatly limit.

Yes, if I ate like you claim you do, exercise or not, I'd be 400 pounds.

Everyone is different.

Some people have weight control issues, some don't.

Some people are alcoholics and can't handle one drink, some people can drink in moderation and never have to worry about becoming an alcoholic.

Edited by Jingthing

Mainstream medical science is conclusive on that ... no amount of exercise "undoes" the damage you are doing to your body with an unhealthy diet, yes, even if you know you never will have a weight issue.

I disagree, I eat loads of garbage but exercise so much it makes no difference.

I have eaten garbage ever since being a child.

6', 60 (nearly) and 75 Kg.

Not dead yet.

• Like 1

If you're living on crap food there is no way you could be at optimum health.

Maybe, but I betting on being 10x healthier than you.
Maybe but so what ... is this a macho competition for you? It's about what we can do to improve our own health profiles and each of us has a different biological history to start with.

I disagree, I eat loads of garbage but exercise so much it makes no difference.

I have eaten garbage ever since being a child.

6', 60 (nearly) and 75 Kg.

Not dead yet.

It is a question of definition. If you eat too less vitamins, or proteins you can't compensate with exercise. If you just eat too much, too fat to much sugar and carb you can compensate for it with exercise, if you have the time.....

I recall when I bike in average 220 km per day with heavy backpack in an area with big mountains, you can eat only too less you won't be able to get fat. Or I read working in the very north of Russia the problem is if your body can process enough kcal per day and can process enough fat. If not you get thinner and thinner till you die.

(I guess there is a mixed Tuna Salad crap food, while fat burger with a sweet drink and some chocolate afterwards are healthy food).

I would say if you are 40-50 years old, fat, never did some sport you can't compensate for a lot junk food, you would get a heart-attack trying.

• Like 1

Well just being candid about all aspects of my diet. I think that is why I think exercise is so important. I guess I am just one of those few you mentioned.

Sour or what!

Here is some sweet.

You're on an overweight and obesity related health related forum and have never been overweight. Congratulations! Weird ... but whatever.

It's not very difficult to learn which foods are decent and which you need to greatly limit.

Everyone is different.

Some people are alcoholics and can't handle one drink, some people can drink in moderation and never have to worry about becoming an alcoholic.

"Yes, if I ate like you claim you do, exercise or not, I'd be 400 pounds".

No you wouldn't

The food I eat is bad but the point is I don't overeat.

Calories in/ Calories out.

For example, I got up late today and ate a banana, downed a few jugs of tea and pint of water. After attending to a few things for an hour I was in Mr Donut for 3 donuts and 2 cups of coffee. Now back home, and I will go out for a 20 minutes walk. I won't eat again for a few hours and then a modest healthy main meal. And mostly after that it will be minor bread snacking, bananas or nuts, gallons of tea and some water before bed.

Be interesting to note how many calories that is, but I guess around or under the average healthy amount.

That sugar and fat though, I have to change. So hard to get rid of addictions.

Sour or what!

Here is some sweet.

Everyone is different.

No you wouldn't

For example, I got up late today and ate a banana, downed a few jugs of tea and pint of water. After attending to a few things for an hour I was in Mr Donut for 3 donuts and 2 cups of coffee. Now back home, and I will go out for a 20 minutes walk. I won't eat again for a few hours and then a modest healthy main meal. And mostly after that it will be minor bread snacking, bananas or nuts, gallons of tea and some water before bed.

Be interesting to note how many calories that is, but I guess around or under the average healthy amount.

Like I said before you don't have a clue about the realities for people who have actually dealt with overweight control issues all their lives (as I have) or even shorter time periods. You arrogantly think you know what's it's like to have my body, that if I did what you did, I would have the same body as you. That is why I continue find your posting here not helpful, even a form of hostility towards people with legitimate weight / health issues.

Why not go on the alcoholic forum and tell them how if they drank like you they wouldn't have a problem? I'm serious. It is clear to me your actual KNOWLEDGE about issues of overweight is ZILCH. Yes I get it, you're free to post but don't you dare tell me I would have your body if I behaved like you because that is the most brain dead assertion I have read in months.

Edited by Jingthing

Sour or what!

Here is some sweet.

Everyone is different.

No you wouldn't

Like I said before you don't have a clue about the realities for people who have actually dealt with overweight control issues all their lives (as I have) or even shorter time periods. You arrogantly think you know what's it's like to have my body, that if I did what you did, I would have the same body as you. That is why I continue find your posting here not helpful, even a form of hostility towards people with legitimate weight / health issues.

Why not go on the alcoholic forum and tell them how if they drank like you they wouldn't have a problem? I'm serious. It is clear to me your actual KNOWLEDGE about issues of overweight is ZILCH. Yes I get it, you're free to post but don't you dare tell me I would have your body if I behaved like you because that is the most brain dead assertion I have read in months.

No he is point on correct....What is wrong?

If you don't overeat you won't get fat. That also works with your body as you have proofed yourself.

Sour or what!

Here is some sweet.

Everyone is different.

No you wouldn't

Well that isn't the super good diet, but it isn't that bad. Have a look what other people eat....From morning to lunch time the have had more sugar and fat than you in a week.

A person who has never been overweight has a very different biological makeup than a person who has been overweight most of their lives. Similar to alcoholics, biologically they are different to non-alcoholics and they are that way for life even if they succeed in not drinking for long periods.

I am not getting into debating with people who hold an absurdly and obviously scientifically false OVER-SIMPLISTIC view of weight issues as energy in ... energy out. That is an important factor but there also many other much more complex individual factors at play.

Revisiting the role of exercise in weight loss (not relevant really to people who for whatever complex reasons have never and will never be overweight) another link:

Well, science has some bad news for you. More and more research in both the UK and the US is emerging to show that exercise has a negligible impact on weight loss. That tri-weekly commitment to aerobics class? Almost worthless, as far as fitting into your bikini is concerned.The Mayo Clinic, a not-for-profit medical research establishment in the US, reports that, in general, studies "have demonstrated no or modest weight loss with exercise alone" and that "an exercise regimen… is unlikely to result in short-term weight loss beyond what is achieved with dietary change."

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2010/sep/19/exercise-dieting-public-health

Personally, I can't eat a donut and not gain a surprising amount of weight very quickly, even while exercising. I didn't even eat donuts when I was gaining weight. Some might be very surprised at what I ate before ... it was not all that different than what I eat now, mostly about cutting portions and eliminating some foods I just can't deal with like french fries, which BTW I ate quite rarely before. People who have not been overweight for life might not understand the different biology of people with overweight HISTORIES ... other people who have ... will.

one thing applies to all of us ...." time will tell" ........ lets get back to a discussion, not a pissing competition .....

And even then its not sure what caused it.. Its so hard to properly see causality. Maybe in identical twins things would be nice but it would be unethical to test stuff like this that way.

But I often wondered what a certain diet.. a certain supplement did for me or did not do or how much training changes things ect ect.

A person who has never been overweight has a very different biological makeup than a person who has been overweight most of their lives. Similar to alcoholics, biologically they are different to non-alcoholics and they are that way for life even if they succeed in not drinking for long periods.

I am not getting into debating with people who hold an absurdly and obviously scientifically false OVER-SIMPLISTIC view of weight issues as energy in ... energy out. That is an important factor but there also many other much more complex individual factors at play.

Revisiting the role of exercise in weight loss (not relevant really to people who for whatever complex reasons have never and will never be overweight) another link:

Well, science has some bad news for you. More and more research in both the UK and the US is emerging to show that exercise has a negligible impact on weight loss. That tri-weekly commitment to aerobics class? Almost worthless, as far as fitting into your bikini is concerned.The Mayo Clinic, a not-for-profit medical research establishment in the US, reports that, in general, studies "have demonstrated no or modest weight loss with exercise alone" and that "an exercise regimen… is unlikely to result in short-term weight loss beyond what is achieved with dietary change."

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2010/sep/19/exercise-dieting-public-health

Personally, I can't eat a donut and not gain a surprising amount of weight very quickly, even while exercising. I didn't even eat donuts when I was gaining weight. Some might be very surprised at what I ate before ... it was not all that different than what I eat now, mostly about cutting portions and eliminating some foods I just can't deal with like french fries, which BTW I ate quite rarely before. People who have not been overweight for life might not understand the different biology of people with overweight HISTORIES ... other people who have ... will.

no calories in vs. calorie out isn't false, it is the only true. And you write yourself. "mostly about cutting portions and eliminating some foods". Less in than out and you got slimmer.

No matter how overweight you have been, as long as you don't eat you get slimmer, no magic, no evil gut bacteria. Everything other are just tricks to make it more comfortable to diet. There millions of people who got slim, without any knowledge, by just eating less. That is a physical fact, you don't need to be overweight to understand that.

I never said it was false. I am saying it is an important factor but not the ONLY one, and that people's bodies are very different based on their biological histories. I am sure I can't behave exactly the same as a typical person who has never been overweight and not expect to gain weight. I would gain weight ... they wouldn't ... I could easily prove that but I don't want to gain weight so I won't bother.

In more crass terms, they can get away with eating some donuts, I really can't.

I really do think most people who have had long term obesity issues would know exactly what I'm talking about here, but a person who has never been overweight can't possibly understand this unless they have a medical background or some good amount of compassion for the realities that not everyone is the same as they are.

Edited by Jingthing

I never said it was false. I am saying it is an important factor but not the ONLY one, and that people's bodies are very different based on their biological histories. I am sure I can't behave exactly the same as a typical person who has never been overweight and not expect to gain weight. I would gain weight ... they wouldn't ... I could easily prove that but I don't want to gain weight so I won't bother.

I really do think most people who have had long term obesity issues would know exactly what I'm talking about here, but a person who has never been overweight can't possibly understand this unless they have a medical background or some good amount of compassion for the realities that not everyone is the same as they are.

your quote: "and obviously scientifically false"

And it is the ONLY important factor. Everything else is just to make it easier.

And of course you can get away with donuts. I can lock you into the basement and give you 1 donut per day. After 1 month you'll have lost a lot weight on the "donut-diet", because the one and only important factor is that you ate less calories than you burned.

Of course you'll be hungry all the time, but that isn't an important factor. Not being hungry is nice, but complete irrelevant to loosing weight. That is universal true no matter what history...not even only for people, even for all animals it is the same.

No eat=loosing body mass.

• Like 1

One grammatical point that may have led to a personality clash here. In the UK we often use "you" in a general sense rather than you the actual person. I am not specifically alluding to JT . In the last instance the. I mean 'no a person wouldn't.

no issue.......JT always get angry if someone claims the solution is eating less......When he out of arguments he insults the others......don't take it serious......

JT perhaps the answer lies in the "quality" of the calories your eating , not the amount ....... having been 100kg before ( now 77kg) i dont buy your argument , perhaps you need a left field approach ? if you do pm me ..happy to help you ...

In fairness, what JT says is exactly what my sis in law says and is typically summed up in phrase "I only have to look at a cream cake to put on weight", and yes in my eyes and experience I simply can't see that, it amounts to saying the laws of physics don't apply to my body. It also doesn't help when you find them consuming all the goodies in the fridge when they think everyone is asleep. But I understand what addiction is like and empathise.

It is absolutely true that some people put on fat more easily than others, and conversely don't seem to burn it quite so easily. Up until 200 years ago this was actually a very desirable thing as food was scarce.

And latest research indicates that when people experience chronic weight issues the chemistry of their mind and gut can change. In effect the 'your full up now stop eating switch' gets tripped. Psychological research also points to poor memory in regards to what they last ate and when, which astonishingly can create a very real sense of being hungry even when they are not. Hormonal changes play a part too it seems.

So I can see why some people will experience problems leading them to believe calories in/calories out is not valid or dieting/exercise doesn't work.

We're all dealt a biological hand, and if the cards fall a particular way, I suppose there are bound to be extreme differences in viewpoint.

As i said earlier, the latest BBC podcast 'Inside Science' has a very comprehensive report on every aspect, the realities and myths.

People have been getting hot under the collar. Nothing wrong with healthy argument by the way.

One grammatical point that may have led to a personality clash here. In the UK we often use "you" in a general sense rather than you the actual person. I am not specifically alluding to JT . In the last instance the. I mean 'no a person wouldn't.

no issue.......JT always get angry if someone claims the solution is eating less......When he out of arguments he insults the others......don't take it serious......

You know, dude, you can dislike me, you can insult me, but I don't appreciate when you totally TWIST what I have been saying. Dude ... I need to EAT LESS than lifetime normal weight people just not to gain weight. Do you even read my posts or are you just here for blood sport?

And of course you can get away with donuts. I can lock you into the basement and give you 1 donut per day. After 1 month you'll have lost a lot weight on the "donut-diet", because the one and only important factor is that you ate less calories than you burned.

Of course you'll be hungry all the time, but that isn't an important factor. Not being hungry is nice, but complete irrelevant to loosing weight. That is universal true no matter what history...not even only for people, even for all animals it is the same.

Real life is not a donut death camp. Sure you would eventually die on that donut regime. Proving what? I'm talking about the real world outside the bounds of sick sadistic human experiments you might be dreaming up.

JT perhaps the answer lies in the "quality" of the calories your eating , not the amount ....... having been 100kg before ( now 77kg) i dont buy your argument , perhaps you need a left field approach ? if you do pm me ..happy to help you ...

I don't have a problem. I know what I'm doing now. I have a problem with people who think they have all the answers for all the obese people in the world, especially those who have never been obese themselves NOR have an ounce of medical knowledge.

You know, dude, you can dislike me, you can insult me, but I don't appreciate when you totally TWIST what I have been saying. Dude ... I need to EAT LESS than lifetime normal weight people just not to gain weight. Do you even read my posts or are you just here for blood sport?

No I like you, and I do read your postings. Just don't agree with some of what you believe.

Real life is not a donut death camp. Sure you would eventually die on that donut regime. Proving what? I'm talking about the real world outside the bounds of sick sadistic human experiments you might be dreaming up.

A couple of years ago some nut underwent an eat only at Mcdonalds for a month regime. He was allowed to eat exactly what he wanted up to a strict calorie limit. If he exercised that calorie limit was higher. He was overweight when he went in and came out slimmer and apparently in fair good health.

You'd have thought he would have morphed in to a stack of salt, but there we are.

It was widely reported in the press at the time.

A couple of years ago some nut underwent an eat only at Mcdonalds for a month regime. He was allowed to eat exactly what he wanted up to a strict calorie limit. If he exercised that calorie limit was higher. He was overweight when he went in and came out slimmer and apparently in fair good health.

You'd have thought he would have morphed in to a stack of salt, but there we are.

It was widely reported in the press at the time.

That's settled then. Obesity researchers can all just retire now. Also all people are exactly the same too. You've proven it. Call the National Enquirer. News at 11. Congratulations.

First I am not your dude. Second I don't like or dislike you. I am here to learn and not to have some good or bad feelings. Third I am not insulting you, if you misunderstood something and feel it is insulting I apologize. Usually you are the one who insult people (see your posting about me dreaming about sick sadistic experiments).

But much more important: Report your findings to the next university as it is the solution for the starvation on this planet. The gain weight with less food than everyone else discovery is almost as important as the announcement of success pf cold fusion.

All that may happen is that the body works a few percent more efficient which is good and for a while you are bit more hungry which is bad. But no magic fat without food. The usual thing is: Eating in the middle of the night and "forgetting" it in the morning. Drinking a lot sweet and/or fat tea/coffee/soup/sodas or alcohol and ignore that these things have a lot calories.

The usual joke, isn't a joke, it really happens: fat women sitting at a rich coffee eating cake and explain each other that they gain weight even they ONLY eat salad with basically no calories.