Don't Vote For 'Previous Politicians,' Prayuth Advises Nation

Lite Beer

Politicians are people in government, their job is to run countries and organizations. They normally go to school for higher education. Military people in uniform defend countries from "outside" sources, not inside. Military people are not schooled/trained to run countries, they are trained to perform military tasks.

Votes are "bought" in every country on the face of the earth. Money, jobs, influence,etc is the form of payment. Its the peoples choice who's voice they purchase. The argument of red shirt vote buying is lost in the way of the world. Its a kindergarden playground argument.

Even the coup was bought by the richest people in Thailand. Problem with coups is they have he guns and military. They get more "bang for the buck"

• Like 2

Wasting your time General Prayuth. With the morons, idiots and downright corrupt up country, that Triad will want the same bunch or closely connected to ,back ruining the country. So before there are any,so called fake elections, put into law some measures,to keep those who are criminals and hiding away, from getting involved. Until its sorted "Stay in control" and screw what the USA and others say about when to hold a vote!

The problem for the General, is that the kind of law you suggest would disqualify most people on both sides of the colour spectrum and virtually impossible to apply, because it would be interpreted by whoever is in power, to suit their own agenda.

Suspect you know that but just wanted to make some derogatory comments about those people living in the north of Thailand......as if they are any different to those in the south Pfiiiiff.

The PM is saying don't vote for previous politicians because Thailand must move on, the past must not be repeated or the political divisions that caused a cycle of violence, bringing Thailand close to civil unrest and close to a civil war could return. Peace and harmony is paramount to Thailands future, the past must be forgotten and a new democracy created to forge a stronger government that unites Thai people not divides them.

• Like 1

I've watched every Friday night spiel by Dear Leader for what they say about him, not for what he says. This Friday I was in a 05:30 Friday time-zone but still saw him. He is very touchy about the Shinawats. Last night he spoke of impeachment; I may be wrong but I think he couldn't bring himself to mention Yingluk Shinawat by name -- while her brother is officially in the history books non-existent.

What's interesting more each week is his fondness for asking for patience and for telling us what his plans are. We have heard nothing really of real achievements. It's all hat and no cattle after 8 months.

"Although Thaksin was removed in a coup in 2006 and has lived in self-imposed exile since 2008, political parties backed by the former PM have won every national election since his ouster."

He wasn't removed in a coup.

He's not in self exile, he's a fugitive criminal evading justice.

Still keeps winning elections though, which is rather more than can be said about the present lot!

No problems here with people voting for whoever they choose.

However wish those elected could grasp the fact that victory does not mean they are above the law.

Wish they realised they are elected to rule for the benefit of the country, not their criminal overlord.

And speaking of thaksin.

Pity he can't man up and come home to face the consequences of his criminality.

He is a criminal, he is not insane. Would you give up a life of luxury and turn yourself in for a term in a Thai prison ? No, neither would i.

The people choose the politicians. They can suggest who in their area of Thailand is most suitable to represent them in the new government. This process is now taking place as the reform council recieves these suggestions from all walks of life in each area or province of Thailand. Patience is needed so all suggestions can be pooled and the right leaders choosen to take Thailand to the next step. Democracy is returning but this time it will be a true expression of what Thai people want that will truelly represent them in a transparent way.

And speaking of thaksin.

Pity he can't man up and come home to face the consequences of his criminality.

Oh yes convicted of a conflict of interest involving his mrs buying a bit of land and given 2 years, something you could probably stitch them all up with. Samak got similar for having a cookery program on TV. Leading a military coup and grabbing power unelected is obviously far less serious!

He was convicted and therefore should go to gaol.

Tell me where I said anything in favour of the things you go on about in your final 2 sentences.

Mind, if you hadn't edited my post you wouldn't need to, would you?

People get convicted of multiple murder here and never spend one night in jail. He was stitched up just like they did with Samak, there is no real justice here, it's more like animal farm than a democracy under the rule of law.

Whether or not he was 'stitched up' is not the point. He is a corrupt politician and was brought to task rightfully by the courts. There is no doubt many other politicians should also be convicted of their corruption but that is not the point either.

There will be no reconciliation until the elite accept a reduced power base and the red shirts accept the rule of law. Of course the uneducated lunatics will keep electing Thaksin because the Democrats have no voice in the north and offer little in the way of policies and Thaksins lot are very good at presenting their schemes of corruption to make the poor think they are for their benefit which of course they are not.

Both sides are continuing with their standpoints and there are no new leaders to drive in a different direction, a direction of national benefit.

With all the huge stashes of wealth these politicians and generals seem to amass the corruption is very clear and one day society will bring them to task. With the ignorant thinking of most Thais through lack of education, whether this will happen in our lifetime is questionable but eventually the trip will be broken. It's a shame if takes generations to educate a society and Thailand hasn't even started. It is 50 years behind the West and its richer neighbors because of the suppression of education as a national policy for so lmg. Keep the people sheep gas worked very well. For a long time and there is still no will to change it because intelligent people do not match with corruption and lies so well.

• Like 2

"One needs to know many things in order to run a country. I haven't studied about it, but I had to learn about it," said Prime Minister and junta chairman Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha" blink.png

cheesy.gif cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I've said it it from the beginning;

NO plan.

"Different thoughts and arguments are allowed, but don't let them cause disputes. That way, we won't fall into the trap of democracy."

Say what?

• Like 2

Whether or not he was 'stitched up' is not the point. He is a corrupt politician and was brought to task rightfully by the courts. There is no doubt many other politicians should also be convicted of their corruption but that is not the point either.

There will be no reconciliation until the elite accept a reduced power base and the red shirts accept the rule of law. Of course the uneducated lunatics will keep electing Thaksin because the Democrats have no voice in the north and offer little in the way of policies and Thaksins lot are very good at presenting their schemes of corruption to make the poor think they are for their benefit which of course they are not.

Both sides are continuing with their standpoints and there are no new leaders to drive in a different direction, a direction of national benefit.

With all the huge stashes of wealth these politicians and generals seem to amass the corruption is very clear and one day society will bring them to task. With the ignorant thinking of most Thais through lack of education, whether this will happen in our lifetime is questionable but eventually the trip will be broken. It's a shame if takes generations to educate a society and Thailand hasn't even started. It is 50 years behind the West and its richer neighbors because of the suppression of education as a national policy for so lmg. Keep the people sheep gas worked very well. For a long time and there is still no will to change it because intelligent people do not match with corruption and lies so well.

Well the self proclaimed more educated Bangkok intellectuals seemed fairly easily duped into believing the coup was about 'reform'.

Until they start prosecuting people of all political persuasion including those in the military, the police etc the prosecution of TS, YS and their cronies will always be seen as being politically motivated and they will lose little sleep about waning popularity and sympathy they get.

In fact when these clearly politically motivated cases happen, it is probably increasing their popularity. (I do not mean they are innocent, but they are clearly political)

The ball is in the junta's court, but they are in such a tangled web of back room deals, personal relationships, professional relationships, favors, patronage issues etc etc etc, they simply cannot do much. That is not to mention that they themselves would probably not want people sniffing around in their affairs...... or the judges etc would not want anyone sniffing in their affairs.....

So what about vote buying, it's not like the oppositions don't know it happens, stop whining about it and have better policies and deeper pockets!!

For the farangs who cry foul, what's the big problem, it's got nothing to do with you, and if your loved ones want to make 300-500 baht for an X on a paper, that's down to them, it's THEIR country!!!

usually the same who defend vote buying call for democracy. Vote buying is not democracy.

The same who defend the vote buying are against the coup. What is different if the man with the bigger pocket plays dictator or the man with the bigger guns? Politicians who got in power with vote buying must rip off the country for more vote buying and therefor the poor people suffer.

If people sell their vote for a couple hundred baht it's their problem. If a bottle of lao khaow and a pack of smokes for today is more important than the government of the country for the next period - up to you... This sort of behaviour will eventually change when the people finally realise they are being exploited over and over by the hi-sos/elite/...

Edited by Mr Somtam

What's the deal?

By the time the next elections will be held in Thailand most previous elected politicians will have died of old age.

That's what I thought after reading my child's newly published social studies book.

According to that. It explains as one would to a child. In the past the people used to elect the prime minister. But sometimes that pm is bad. So now we will have a group of appointed knowledgeable members of society.they will appoint the pm for you to help make sure you don't choose the bad one.

yeah, I understand. My kids' schooling is going to be a special challenge ...

Let them choose "the bad one"! It's their own choice, once they find out he's that bad they will stop voting for him and vote someone else. They have a word for that, ehh, ohh, I remember: democracy.

"Although Thaksin was removed in a coup in 2006 and has lived in self-imposed exile since 2008, political parties backed by the former PM have won every national election since his ouster."

Still keeps winning elections though, which is rather more than can be said about the present lot!

How can you say that he still keeps winning elections? He never won an election the hard and proper way by getting electors to vote for hin in a constituency but was elected as the party vote #1 and was elected as PM as he owned the TRT.

He does not live in Thailand and, as a convicted criminal fugitive he does not even have a vote. He can return to Thailand anytime that HE wants to so, he is not exiled. All he has to do is to give himself up and serve his jail sentence. If he so wishes and is genuinely repentent he may apply for an amnesty. Of course IF he returns then he has more charges to face and if he is found guilty he will face more jail time.

He could have and in fact did return under the PPP government of his brother in law Somchai Wongsawat which surprisingly enough was in power when he skipped bail and fled the country. There were nearly 3 years of the PTP under his sister, Yingluck, and he STILL did not return.

The actions of an honourable man and politician?

I don't think so.

Edited by billd766

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Quite correct , he asked to go to the Beijing Olympics , this was granted by the Democrat Government that he promised to return , he came back to H.K. , boarded a BA flight to UK, rest is history.

Actually what you said is false and misleading.

It was under the PPP government of his brother in law Somchai Wongsawat that he was found guilty and given 2 years and THEY were the ones that siad it would be OK for him to get bail. NOT the Democrats. Though he DID promise to return but was a bit vague about the date.

• Like 1

Let me see if I understand this man.

He says you need to learn how to run a government, but don't vote for anyone who has the experience from previous times in office.!

That's like my Birmingham City FC manager saying - 'we don't intend to buy anyone in the transfer window as they are experienced footballers. No, we are going to drag some people in off the pavement and teach them (the way I want them to act of course).

Now I know I leave myself wide open for criticism that all previous politicians were corrupt. Maybe yes, maybe no - but at least they knew the way around.

• Like 1

I've watched every Friday night spiel by Dear Leader for what they say about him, not for what he says. This Friday I was in a 05:30 Friday time-zone but still saw him. He is very touchy about the Shinawats. Last night he spoke of impeachment; I may be wrong but I think he couldn't bring himself to mention Yingluk Shinawat by name -- while her brother is officially in the history books non-existent.

What's interesting more each week is his fondness for asking for patience and for telling us what his plans are. We have heard nothing really of real achievements. It's all hat and no cattle after 8 months.

the big achievement: No big corruption since he took over

"One needs to know many things in order to run a country. I haven't studied about it, but I had to learn about it,"

Studied he may have; learned about it is doubtful because his very words and actions declare no knowledge of how a democracy works.

"Don't elect the relatives of the previous group. Don't just elect the people you know. Today we have to make politicians display their vision on how they will run the country."

There is nothing democratic about telling the people who they should vote ... again you need to understand and above all accept how democracy works if you want it to succeed and indeed flourish.

Thailand is a developing nation and democracy is often a difficult transition however without it the only thing the people will experience is the merry-go-round of elected governments and coups until finally civil war breaks out. Whilst there are some Thais who think they can segregate themselves from the rest of the world this is of course pure fantasy and as democracy and indeed freedom is continuously oppressed the western nations will move to impose restrictions on trade which inevitably will bring more problems.

Thais need to understand that the internal bickering and grab for power by those in high positions isn't doing the country any good ... forget about what the foreign community thinks it's about their very survival as a unified nation.

Politicians are people in government, their job is to run countries and organizations. They normally go to school for higher education. Military people in uniform defend countries from "outside" sources, not inside. Military people are not schooled/trained to run countries, they are trained to perform military tasks.

Votes are "bought" in every country on the face of the earth. Money, jobs, influence,etc is the form of payment. Its the peoples choice who's voice they purchase. The argument of red shirt vote buying is lost in the way of the world. Its a kindergarden playground argument.

Even the coup was bought by the richest people in Thailand. Problem with coups is they have he guns and military. They get more "bang for the buck"

Have you ever heard of Dwight Eisenhower, John F Kennedy, George Bush or Colin Powell in the USA where many ex servicemen become senators, Edward Heath in the UK and many other MPs, Charles DeGaulle in France. The list is endless.

ALL of them ex military. All of them did a good job.

Try reading some history, you may learn something.

the big achievement: No big corruption since he took over

Certainly there has been some high profile arrests ... as yet no convictions and nobody in prison. The jury is still out on the issue of dealing with corruption and in a society bathed in it it'll take years if not decades before any measurable change is seen.

Don't Vote For 'Previous Politicians,' Prayuth Advises Nation.

That is very weak and does not help anyone.

Better all politicians of the last parliaments should be banished a lifetime of public office.
The old politicians have yet ridden the country in the shit.
The old politicians are quite clearly incapable of democracy.
The only thing they are interested in, is their personal well-being and not the nation.

Ban them all and restart with new and honest people!

• Like 1

The PM is saying don't vote for previous politicians because Thailand must move on, the past must not be repeated or the political divisions that caused a cycle of violence, bringing Thailand close to civil unrest and close to a civil war could return. Peace and harmony is paramount to Thailands future, the past must be forgotten and a new democracy created to forge a stronger government that unites Thai people not divides them.

Nonetheless people must be free to vote for who ever they please. New or old faces, it's their choice.

• Like 1

Still keeps winning buying elections though, and probably scheming on how he can buy the next one.

Whats wrong with buying elections? That's the fundamental reason democracy works in every country since the beginning of time......as a voter I ask "whats in it for me?" "If I vote for you what will you give me?"......If they are offering something I want, then I vote for them. There is nothing morally wrong with that. Maybe you've been brainwashed by losing parties (Democrats) who thinking vote buying is bad. Well if that's the case then the only other choice to have an ethical right society would be a relegious authoritarian rule similiar to the Taliban.

People would vote for the Democrats if they offered something people wanted.

• Like 1