The perfect reason for NOT learning Thai.

beenitseenitdoneit

Downside of learning Thai is that you get to hear what the majority of Thai people talk about on a daily basis: the most inane, trivial conversations and gossip that I've ever heard in my life. Yes, you can become totally fluent in Thai with a lot of work, but then what are you going to talk about? When I reached a level where I could understand 75% or so of what I heard around me, I completely lost interest in the language.

This is so true .. we very rarely speak Thai at home, and I conduct most of my business with Thai's on my own in Thai without the wives presence.

After saying that the language is a load of old bunk, doesnt the OP feel like a total plank when he can't take control of a situation as mentioned, or remedy it with a call to get the delivery guys.

I would have thought it a reason to be able to speak Thai.

• Like 2

As you already understood the problem about the possible mix-up, if you spoke Thai could you not have explained it to the delivery people? Surely you wouldn't have been worried about losing face in the confrontation?

It would certainly have saved space on the forum about a trivial complaint because of your inability to understand the interaction that was going on.

Just another excuse for not understanding the language of your host country IMHO.....................wai.gif

Perhaps the delivery men should have spoken English or the tongue of your native country, that would make things easier, eh?

That much effort replying to a post you think was a waste of space?

just call him Numb Nuts

• Like 1

As I learn Thai very slowly I just find that all those conversations i didn't understand and still don't fully understand, they are just shooting the breeze.

I am keen to continue to learn Thai

Maybe then we can get to the point much more quickly.

• Like 1

Advantage of not knowing Thai to me is that my Thai wife, somewhat similar to girl pictured, can fuss at me in Thai, become exhausted, I listen as if I understand but understand nothing she says, and then she says something very simple and mild in English. Life is easy that way.biggrin.png

As you already understood the problem about the possible mix-up, if you spoke Thai could you not have explained it to the delivery people? Surely you wouldn't have been worried about losing face in the confrontation?

It would certainly have saved space on the forum about a trivial complaint because of your inability to understand the interaction that was going on.

Just another excuse for not understanding the language of your host country IMHO.....................wai.gif

Perhaps the delivery men should have spoken English or the tongue of your native country, that would make things easier, eh?

How's your reading comprehension? :)

My Wife's friends (100% Thai) Children all go to International Schools - They are fluently bilingual in Thai and English.

When playing with each other they all talk not in Thai but in English. I have supposed that this is due to English being a more specific, accurate and efficient language.

That said: Not learning Thai will always be a hinderance, regardless of someone else not communicating properly, you will always need to.

I agree with you, my experience is that the more Thai I learn and understand, the more I realize that it is a highly inefficient language. The biggest hurdle for Thais is not just to learn another language like English, but to learn to communicate with much less vagueness.

I work as only foreigner in a Thai company and am married to a Thai, I speak reasonable Thai when it comes to work and domestic issues and read a bit. I have seen so many situations where even family members don't understand each other over simple issues. One of the conclusions for me is that I'm shifting to English and Dutch only at home to learn the kids to communicate in a different way than they would learn when we would speak Thai.

To take it a bit further, I'm getting annoyed by how much of words are not communication but wasted on confirming and re-confirming their relative status towards each other. If you literally translate a conversation between 2 Thais (older says younger to that younger has to do this) I really get sick. People referring to them selves as "older", "younger" or sometimes "mouse" in a conversation makes you wonder...

• Like 1

Downside of learning Thai is that you get to hear what the majority of Thai people talk about on a daily basis: the most inane, trivial conversations and gossip that I've ever heard in my life. Yes, you can become totally fluent in Thai with a lot of work, but then what are you going to talk about? When I reached a level where I could understand 75% or so of what I heard around me, I completely lost interest in the language.

Evidently, you are so high-and-mighty that you cannot sustain any passion for relentlessly repetitive conversations, for discussing at length things of almost no consequence, or perhaps re-re-re-confirming some previously agreed arrangement, all while maintaining a facial expression of joy. I feel sorry for you and all your Thai bashing mates.

The funny thing is , Thai's can not understand Thai's. Ask your wife's or girl friends about the different dialects that are spoken in Thailand.

coffee1.gif

My missus can communicate in the formal Thai,Thai (i.e central Thai), Laos, Khmer and the English languages......what is your point?

As do the rest of her family who are scattered all over the country.

• Like 1

Thailand.. No brain, No pain...

Astonishingly, conversing in good enough English with an educated Thais such a lawyer,

taking the pains to explain over and over again in minute details as to what should be said

and done only to find out the next day that all we have talked about went in one ear and came

out the other with out register any different what so ever with him... so speaking English with the local

with the locals is largely waste of time in most case....

Edited by ezzra

Similar exp in that it was bedding. I speak some Thai & asked to have a foam matress made up as I find the beds in thailand too hard. I explained & drew picture of what I wanted. What I got was not only a month late but as wrong as you could get, but still had to pay for their mistake .

• Like 2

Let me get this right...the wrong mattress went on the wrong bed.

Why don't you and the Missus move it yourselves.

Swallow the pride old son. Nobody will see you lose face - close all the curtains/blinds first.

I read the bit about it weighing 4 tons - come on lets get real!!

It might be awkward to handle but it's still only a mattress.

But you didn't (get it right). The mattress story is not the actual problem; it's only the context. And even if it had been quickly and easily solved, it would still be the context for a deeper—and apparently intractable—problem. Of course, if anybody thinks my interpretation is invalid, please feel free to let the flaming continue! Lmao

Edited by aboctok

Almost everyone on TVF is fluent in Thai...................

................until you meet them. wink.png

Even those who have been in Thailand a month.

yeah, as fluent as possible, greens are 20, blues are 50, reds are 100, purples are 500 and browns are 1000--enough said

Since learning to understand conversational Thai I now have the pleasure of listen to my wife and her friends/family all constantly talk about how much they paid for everything and what is the best iPhone or tablet that is currently out, for hours on end, every time they meet up.

It was better before I realised how shallow, immature and petty they all are.

Maybe you just married the wrong lady and because you did not speak Thai before you never found out.

More to the point, I think it was his wife who made the big mistake when it came to choosing a partner. What a pompous......................................... whistling.gif

I could not imagine living here without being fluent.

Come on you must have lived here when you only knew a sawasdee krap, unless you took Thai at university and moved here when you were fluent. biggrin.png

I am fluent......."Chek bin kup"..................EVERYBODY understands that from me......thumbsup.gif

Sorry, I thought you were talking about being flatulent ! whistling.gif

I could not imagine living here without being fluent.

Come on you must have lived here when you only knew a sawasdee krap, unless you took Thai at university and moved here when you were fluent. biggrin.png

I am fluent......."Chek bin kup"..................EVERYBODY understands that from me......thumbsup.gif

Sorry, I thought you were talking about being flatulent ! whistling.gif

It has been known for some of those fluent speakers to be talking out of their..........wink.png

• Like 1