Two men sentenced for killing and skinning a dog, posting photographs on Facebook

Lite Beer

Two men sentenced for killing and skinning a dog, posting photographs on Facebook
The Nation

CHIANG RAI: -- Two brothers in Chiang Rai have been given a suspended jail term and fined Bt8,000 each for killing their own dog and posted its picture on Facebook.

In a case that was enforced under the new animal welfare law, the two brothers were sentenced on January 13 in Maesauy, Chiang Rai after an image of a man skinning a dead dog was posted on Facebook.

Police were alerted to the posting by Soi Dog’s full time investigation unit, Watchdog Thailand. Investigations led to a famous bike shop in the area, run by Veerachai Wongsa, the former owner of the dog.

Under questioning, Veerachai admitted giving the dog to his brother, Kraitong Wongsa, to be killed for consumption.

According to Chiang Rai police chief Police Maj Gen Weerawut Niannoi, the two had violated Article 20 of the Animal Welfare Law, which states it is illegal to commit or to allow others to commit an act of animal cruelty. Verachai was arrested and charged under Article 20.

MrKraitong was subsequently arrested, and admitted to the crime of killing the dog by inflicting a heavy blow to its head. He was also charged under Article 20.

Both Veerachai and Kraitongwere sentenced to one year in jail, under probation, and fined Bt8,000 each.

John Dalley, co-founder and vice president of Soi Dog Foundation, Thailand's leading dog and cat welfare charity, cautiously welcomed the verdict.

"Whilst welcoming the verdict, we are concerned that the courts are not yet punishing offenders to the extent the law allows. [2 years in prison and 40,000thb fine]. The main purpose of sentences is to act as a deterrent. If people understand that an action will lead to a prison sentence they will be far less likely to commit the offence. The courts currently have the opportunity to show that the Thai people will not tolerate cruelty to any living creature," Dalley said.

Thailand's first Animal Welfare Law came into effect on December 27h 2014, following extensive lobbying by Soi Dog Foundation and other animal welfare organisations.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Two-men-sentenced-for-killing-and-skinning-a-dog-p-30252120.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-01-17

• Like 1

Suggest you watch how pigs are slaughtered in Thailand SP as it's horrific and certainly less 'humane' than the way in which the unfortunate dog was dispatched.

That's why their pork is shit, and you cant get decent Ham, bacon or whatever cut of meat.

If someone could just educate them they could earn more money from the livestock, by learning the best way to kill a pig.

They know better though, farang eat from supermarket knows nothing in their minds.

• Like 1

Suggest you watch how pigs are slaughtered in Thailand SP as it's horrific and certainly less 'humane' than the way in which the unfortunate dog was dispatched.

That's why their pork is shit, and you cant get decent Ham, bacon or whatever cut of meat.

If someone could just educate them they could earn more money from the livestock, by learning the best way to kill a pig.

They know better though, farang eat from supermarket knows nothing in their minds.

Try the kurubota pork steak from CP.

Dogs are higher in status then motorbikedrivers, they can sleep at the middle of the road and all cars will avoid them.

Thai are too lazy to walk/play/wash with their dogs, hence they never listen to them.

• Like 2

Ham and bacon is cured, it's nothing to do with how it's slaughtered. Thai pork in the markets is IMHO very good and you can choose your own cut.

If a pig is stressed at time of death it secretes adrenaline and other neuro chemicals.

That leads to poor meat.

Edited by rhythmworx
  • Like 1

It's quite interesting to read this news. I have seen many Thai families who own 4-5 dogs and do not look after any of them. In the end many of these drift off to soi and become a menace to people passing by and local council will not take any actions. And because these stupid people will make claim on these animals, you cant even poison them. There are times when I used to walk around with a stick at night time to scare soi dog's away.

I agree with Somtam. What difference it makes if it s cow, chicken, lamb, pig or a dog? 1 less dog in street is one less chance to get rabies.

Your point about irresponsible owners is well made. I have neighbours with several dogs who keep them locked in the garden while the family are at work and the dogs pass the time by howling and snarling at anyone who passes but as soon as the owners return the dogs are out into the soi where they roam around barking etc until the next morning when they are back in the garden again.

As far as I know barking at people is as far as it's gone and they tend to run when anyone makes a move towards them but there are children around so it may only be a matter of time.

It's quite interesting to read this news. I have seen many Thai families who own 4-5 dogs and do not look after any of them. In the end many of these drift off to soi and become a menace to people passing by and local council will not take any actions. And because these stupid people will make claim on these animals, you cant even poison them. There are times when I used to walk around with a stick at night time to scare soi dog's away.

I agree with Somtam. What difference it makes if it s cow, chicken, lamb, pig or a dog? 1 less dog in street is one less chance to get rabies.

Never takes too long for the soi dog haters to jump in eh... and you can't even poison them... <deleted>blink.png

• Like 2

This sentence is a joke. 8000 Baht sounds like a slap on the hand to me. As a dog owner I am disgusted by the actions of the perpetrators and wonder why the new law wasn't used to its full extent.

I have owned many dogs in my life and I suppose I have a soft spot for them but I would never object to the cultural dining habits of people from another country.

It does worry me about the way these animals are killed though, have heard horror stories about the slaughtering of dogs, sheep, pigs etc.

The first time I went to Vietnam I was shocked to see dog carcasses hanging on hooks in the markets and people taking off slices of meat to sell.

Then again I have eaten kangaroo which is probably appalling to some.

• Like 1

Ok not that I agree with killing a dog to eat, but isn't it a cultural thing? dog meat in Thailand and Lao?

I get terrible looks from my wife and family when I say I'd like some kangaroo steaks, or lamb, or even rabbit, also a cultural thing.

That's true enough. My wife is quite happy to munch on a cooked whole frog but looked horrified when I said how good the rabbit stew was my mum used to make when I was young. I guess the difference is in seeing something as a pet rather than wild or reared as part of the food chain.

I've eaten kangaroo and it's really good too.

I've two mates in the UK who are wildfowlers in the UK. They shoot and eat all manner of birds that I'd never dream of eating,

As you say, all cultural, and we've no right to judge.

• Like 1

A dog is mans best friend a chicken cow or pig fish etc are part of the food chain.

Cruelty in all forms is disgusting however the killing of our food sources is mostly done human land the beast doesn't suffer and people will happily sit down and eat their leg of lamb without a second thought.

However the other day the article on the ivory trade drew around 8 posts which really shows how much people care.

Mankind has a lot to answer for!

So let me get this right.

An animal will sit there licking his nuts for 20 minutes, then comes and licks your face - that's what you consider best friend material?

• Like 2

Wouldn't it be nice if some of that poison you put out for the dogs got eaten by your or another persons child.

Karma is what a person like you deserves.

• Like 2

A dog is mans best friend a chicken cow or pig fish etc are part of the food chain.

Cruelty in all forms is disgusting however the killing of our food sources is mostly done human land the beast doesn't suffer and people will happily sit down and eat their leg of lamb without a second thought.

However the other day the article on the ivory trade drew around 8 posts which really shows how much people care.

Mankind has a lot to answer for!

So let me get this right.

An animal will sit there licking his nuts for 20 minutes, then comes and licks your face - that's what you consider best friend material?

And he may even stick his nose up his hairy mate's bum then rub it all over you, don't forget that one. With friends like that........................................whistling.gif