Why can't I get a straight story out of the fortuneteller?

Gecko123

I just got back from my annual physical (tread mill test, blood work, etc.) at Bumrungrad Hospital, and I'm happy to report that the doctors gave me a clean bill of health.

After I finished at the hospital, I headed over to the Grand Palace to see a friend of mine.

Please don't get the wrong idea. My friend isn't a member of the Royal family or anything like that.

He's a security guard.

The main thing we like to talk about is all the silly things tourists do.

Anyway, after lunch and saying goodbye to my friend, I hoofed it towards Sanam Luang to catch the bus back to Mo Chit.

On the way, I passed by a bunch of fortunetellers, and decided to have my fortune told.

As I had just gotten through with having a physical, my health and longevity were on my mind, and I was really only interested in the answer to one question: "When was I going to die?"

Not unexpectedly, the fortune teller assured me that I was destined to live a long time. "You will have a long life," is what he kept assuring me, "Sure, sure."

But I kept pressing him. "Can't you be any more specific? Maybe give me an age? I really want to know when I will die."

But the fortune teller just kept hemming and hawing. He looked at his note pad, scratched his head, consulted his oiji board, scratched my palm, shook a canister of chop sticks, rolled some dice, even went over and had a conference with the woman selling Hagan Daas ice cream on the corner, but in the end I couldn't get a straight story out of him. I have to admit, I kinda felt like I had been ripped off.

So what I want to know is: Has anyone ever got a prediction from a fortune teller in Thailand that came true, or are they all a bunch of charlatans?

Wifey believes all that fortune teller crap. Previous one told her that I will die in 4 years time aged 59 unless she makes certain offerings at the local temple. Now she has done that he's certain I'll live a long and happy life.

Absolute claptrap.

Edited by apetley

I know there's a lot of hocus pocus out there but I have met some serious psychic people. A real psychic would never tell you when you are going to die even if he really knew. Even with a clean bill of health anything could happen to you tomorrow. Giving someone an age also promotes auto-suggestion so you will expect and even will yourself to die at that age.

• Like 2

A friend in the States had a similar situation. He went into a tent at a fairground where there was a lady Gypsy fortune teller.

My friend asked the same question; when am I going to die? And the fortune teller would only give vague answers. But I want to know precisely when I am going to die said my friend to the fortune teller. Then the fortune teller replied; give me $10000 if you`re desperate to know and I will tell you exactly how and when you are going to die. My friend keen to know the answer gave the lady $10000.

Then the fortune teller said; you are going to be shot in the head at point blank range with a gun. OMG said my friend; when? When? In the next 10 seconds said the fortune teller, who took out a gun and shot him in the head.

• Like 2

A friend in the States had a similar situation. He went into a tent at a fairground where there was a lady Gypsy fortune teller.

My friend asked the same question; when am I going to die? And the fortune teller would only give vague answers. But I want to know precisely when I am going to die said my friend to the fortune teller. Then the fortune teller replied; give me $10000 if you`re desperate to know and I will tell you exactly how and when you are going to die. My friend keen to know the answer gave the lady $10000.

Then the fortune teller said; you are going to be shot in the head at point blank range with a gun. OMG said my friend; when? When? In the next 10 seconds said the fortune teller, who took out a gun and shot him in the head.

Moral of the story? Don't ask!
  • Like 1

Posted Yesterday, 20:44

I just got back from my annual physical (tread mill test, blood work, etc.) at Bumrungrad Hospital, and I'm happy to report that the doctors gave me a clean bill of health.

After I finished at the hospital, I headed over to the Grand Palace to see a friend of mine.

Please don't get the wrong idea. My friend isn't a member of the Royal family or anything like that.

He's a security guard.

Anyway, after lunch and saying goodbye to my friend, I hoofed it towards Sanam Luang to catch the bus back to Mo Chit.

On the way, I passed by a bunch of fortunetellers, and decided to have my fortune told.

As I had just gotten through with having a physical, my health and longevity were on my mind, and I was really only interested in the answer to one question: "When was I going to die?"

Not unexpectedly, the fortune teller assured me that I was destined to live a long time. "You will have a long life," is what he kept assuring me, "Sure, sure."

But I kept pressing him. "Can't you be any more specific? Maybe give me an age? I really want to know when I will die."

But the fortune teller just kept hemming and hawing. He looked at his note pad, scratched his head, consulted his oiji board, scratched my palm, shook a canister of chop sticks, rolled some dice, even went over and had a conference with the woman selling Hagan Daas ice cream on the corner, but in the end I couldn't get a straight story out of him. I have to admit, I kinda felt like I had been ripped off.

So what I want to know is: Has anyone ever got a prediction from a fortune teller in Thailand that came true, or are they all a bunch of charlatans?

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

He's a security guard.

They work on the law of averages and some are very good at it. Your future is determined (mainly) by your actions therefore you hold the answer, not him.

• Like 1

They work on the law of averages and some are very good at it. Your future is determined (mainly) by your actions therefore you hold the answer, not him.

Thanks, Geronimo, for your kind, pleasant, and thoughtful reply.

Edited by Gecko123

Never mind Thailand, any "fortune tellers" in the world are charlatans, and if any of their predictions come true, it is just coincidence. If any "fortune tellers" were genuine, they would all be out of a job and sunning themselves in the Bahamas or somewhere like that, having predicted the correct lottery numbers.