Thailand Tourism Festival 2015 attracted over 600,000 visitors

webfact

Thailand Tourism Festival 2015 attracted over 600,000 visitors

BANGKOK: -- The Tourism Authority of Thailand’s (TAT) new “2015 Discover Thainess” campaign’s grand opening celebrations recently coincided with the 35th Thailand Tourism Festival were held with great fanfare and were attended by thousands of locals and tourists. The TAT’s Thainess parades brought crowds onto the streets while the five-day tourism fair attracted over 600,000 Thai and foreign visitors and generated some 230 million Baht in revenue.

Thai colour and culture filled the streets of Bangkok last week when the “2015 Discover Thainess” tourism campaign kicked off with a series of parades through the city’s biggest shopping districts. Meanwhile, the TTF 2015, held from 14 to 18 January, showcased a taste of all the regional delights that can be found year round by Thai travellers and foreign visitors alike.

TAT Governor Mr. Thawatchai Arunyik said, “The parades were part of the opening ceremonies for our new global tourism campaign that aims to promote the kingdom’s distinct cultural elements that make it uniquely Thai. This spectacular event was presided over by Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha and was attended by thousands of locals and tourists who watched the colourful floats go by and revelled in the fun atmosphere.”

Six spectacular processions, stretching nearly four kilometres through the city showcased different aspects of Thai art, culture and hospitality. The highlight of the parade was a 12-metre replica of the famous Royal Barge Supannahong, complete with regal oarsmen. Following in its wake were scores of talented dancers, performers, puppeteers and acrobats, all dressed in sumptuous costumes and accompanied by skilled musicians.

The parade was designed to give people a little taste of the many events and traditions that can be enjoyed up and down the country at different times of the year. Regional festivals and cultural practices were showcased while the famous “Smiles of Siam” were a reminder of the famous hospitality of the Thai people.

Full story: http://www.eturbonews.com/54723/thailand-tourism-festival-2015-attracted-over-600000-visitors

-- eTN 2015-01-21

I still don't really understand the logic.

A tourism campaign is supposed to "attract" more tourists, preferably new ones that introduce new money into the economy.

All this did was sell some OTOP products to Thais and "entertain" those tourists that are already here.

I guess it moved some money around to the provinces, but for all the expense and effort, it seemed poorly targeted in my opinion.

Did anyone actually see some of the "4km's" of parades? Was it just a barge, some ladyboys and some yuk tuk's or was it something better...not really sure how the parade benefitted tourism either.

And while 600,000 people rejoiced, stepped on each others toes, were squeezed in like sardines, got bogged down in horrendous, nerve-racking traffic jams and wasted money on trinkets that can be bought anywhere and everywhere in this country, I opted to stay home and relished my day. I was all the happier for it. I guess I'm not a tourist anymore... blessed be me.

I had the misfortune to be dragged to Lumpini Park on Sunday. Like another poster mentioned, it was filled with stuff for sale that can be bought almost anywhere. I doubt anything was cheaper or any other incentives like that. Maybe there were some special soaps and lotions for sale, but probably those are available other places too. There were sections for each of the regions of Thailand and lots of loud "singing" and "dancing". No one spoke a word of English and although there were a few farang here and there, the entire thing was meant for Thais.

• Like 1

I enjoyed it. Saturday and Sunday. No effort to get there on the MRT or BTS.

A little crowded in places, but not everywhere. Some nice acts, some decent music and (judging from some of the lines) there must have been some great food.

A pleasant distraction for a few hours.

What more do you expect for free?

• Like 2

There is just a big disconnect between what this article is trying to say and the reality. Its not meant for foreign tourists, like others have mentioned, its here where the tourists already are in any case. Its meant for Thais but then reported on as if it was a great spectacle that was put on and impressed people all over the world.

• Like 2

Again another CRAP news from TAT.

Shameless.

And as for Thainess...oh yes we are seeing many many example of thainess everyday...

Before it was Rape, Murder, beating up. scaming, stealing, abusing, and now refusing taxi ride...the list can go and on...

600,000 for five days = 120,000 per day. In all likelihood, the reported numbers included participants, passersby, and knowing the Tourism Authority, probably people driving or on BTS within a half-mile of the festivities. And yes, probably mostly Thais reveling in their own Thainess.