Taming a hot roof...

bamboozled

I'm thinking the last renters left because of the heat. I mean, it gets that hot and I haven't even been here in the hot season yet. As I think I mentioned, or maybe not, the owners haven't done a thing toward upkeep of the house as far as I can see. It's a cute place with a nice layout but they're not maintaining it which is a bummer. Of course, if that is the reason the last tenants left, the owners might realize they've got to buck up.

The silver backed insulation should be outside should it not? to prevent the heat from entering the roof space? I was away all day today but tomorrow I'm going to try and get a look topside.

Only a few thousand baht for the sprinkler system? Hmm, that doesn't sound too bad. How effective is it?

Cheers...........

have a look at this. no idea of cost, but it's a good start, keeping out the heat. I've been in one house in northern Australia which used this type of reflective paint, and it was very effective.

http://www.astecpaints.com.au/heat-reflective-paint.html

http://homerenovations.about.com/od/houseexteriorframework/a/HowToPaintRoof.htm

• Like 1

I'm thinking the last renters left because of the heat. I mean, it gets that hot and I haven't even been here in the hot season yet. As I think I mentioned, or maybe not, the owners haven't done a thing toward upkeep of the house as far as I can see. It's a cute place with a nice layout but they're not maintaining it which is a bummer. Of course, if that is the reason the last tenants left, the owners might realize they've got to buck up.

The silver backed insulation should be outside should it not? to prevent the heat from entering the roof space? I was away all day today but tomorrow I'm going to try and get a look topside.

Only a few thousand baht for the sprinkler system? Hmm, that doesn't sound too bad. How effective is it?

Cheers...........

You in Ched Yod by chance? That may have been us. Great house, great layout... hot as the sun on the 2nd floor. Just brutal. Hottest house I've EVER lived in.

Cheers...........

You in Ched Yod by chance? That may have been us. Great house, great layout... hot as the sun on the 2nd floor. Just brutal. Hottest house I've EVER lived in.

no no I'm near JJ market. I think there was an Aussie living here prior to me.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I have made a study of this when I was in hotel biz in USVI.
silver does not work well. White is what you want. Reflectivity is the key. Use an outdoor white paint good enough to cover well or mix a slurry of white Portland cement and broom on.,whichever is cheaper.
Insulation is $$ however, the first inch is the most effective inch so,one might do it esp. if foil backed but must not be used indoors (foam) unless cover with an a fireproof barrier.
Venting if the landlord allows would be of benefit.

We had heat problems in all second floor rooms, and the house (in CM) already had thick aluminum roll out insulation under the whole ceramic roof.

One of the engineers from the development company suggested buying a few packs of sheets of styrofoam and laying it across the ceiling but with plenty of open space around downlight fittings etc., and 2 layers thick. It's very light so no danger of any weight pushing through the ceiling.

We found it at Makro and Thai Watsudo. I forget the price but not expensive.

It did reduce the heat quite a lot.

It can also be true that a lot of severe heat is coming in through large windows or glass doors on balconies etc., especially when they get full sun all afternoon. This was true of the two big glass doors in my own bedroom to the side of each door was a similar size fixed glass panel. By late morning / early afternoon the glass (inside the room) is so hot you could fry an egg on it.

Luckily we had small balconies at each such location so we had a builder make a lot more screens* to filter / stop a lot of the direct sun from hitting the glass. (*simple steel frames with rows of Shera board about 4 to 5 cm wide (guessing) and with about 1.5 cm gap between each row of Shera board.)

Overall not that expensive, and it did also reduced the overall heat.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

I do have a lot of windows but the room doesn't get a lot of direct sun into it as it is on the north east side. Also, there is no trapdoor into the space between the ceiling and the roof so I can't even get a look into the space to see what's in there or add any insulation...unless of course I make a hole in the ceiling. Nor do I have a ladder tall enough to see what's on the top side of the roof. I plan to talk with the landlords about it when I pay the rent at the end of the week. It will be interesting to see what they have to say.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I have made a study of this when I was in hotel biz in USVI.

silver does not work well. White is what you want. Reflectivity is the key. Use an outdoor white paint good enough to cover well or mix a slurry of white Portland cement and broom on.,whichever is cheaper.

Insulation is $$ however, the first inch is the most effective inch so,one might do it esp. if foil backed but must not be used indoors (foam) unless cover with an a fireproof barrier.

Venting if the landlord allows would be of benefit.

We had heat problems in all second floor rooms, and the house (in CM) already had thick aluminum roll out insulation under the whole ceramic roof.

One of the engineers from the development company suggested buying a few packs of sheets of styrofoam and laying it across the ceiling but with plenty of open space around downlight fittings etc., and 2 layers thick. It's very light so no danger of any weight pushing through the ceiling.

We found it at Makro and Thai Watsudo. I forget the price but not expensive.

It did reduce the heat quite a lot.

It can also be true that a lot of severe heat is coming in through large windows or glass doors on balconies etc., especially when they get full sun all afternoon. This was true of the two big glass doors in my own bedroom to the side of each door was a similar size fixed glass panel. By late morning / early afternoon the glass (inside the room) is so hot you could fry an egg on it.

Luckily we had small balconies at each such location so we had a builder make a lot more screens* to filter / stop a lot of the direct sun from hitting the glass. (*simple steel frames with rows of Shera board about 4 to 5 cm wide (guessing) and with about 1.5 cm gap between each row of Shera board.)

Overall not that expensive, and it did also reduced the overall heat.

Foam styrene is totally banned in most European, British, Australian and NZ homes. it was once used for roof cavities and insulation and also ceiling tiles.

It is totally flammable and will burn with incredible speed.

Give white reflective paint a serious consideration for outside the roof.