Thailand backpacker death: Christina Annesley in mystery death on double Brit-murder island

Lite Beer

Regarding the Tramadol, apparently she was looking for Nurofen+ (Ibuprofen and Codeine) which is a common painkiller sold in the U.K. and was given Tramadol by a pharmacist in BKK as Nurofen+ is not sold in Thailand. So, nothing really suspicious about that. It's the Vallium I just don't get. Why would a vibrant young girl need Vallium? Presumably she brought it with her from the U.K.

Tramadol is a recreational drug, it's opiate based. Not widely known outside youths. She's about my age, and I've taken it before. I read her tweets as saying that she was enjoying it for those effects not pain. There are plenty of other painkillers she could've chosen or been prescribed with euphoric effects. Valium is also popular amongst recreational pill poppers for relaxing.

Nothing wrong with taking them. I posted earlier that it's really difficult to overdose or find yourself dead from mixing these meds with alcohol, I've taken 600mg tramadol and 5-6 beers and just puked, the body vomits it out. Relatively safe. Death is possible but then so is overdosing on alcohol alone. It would be ridiculous to suggest she drank herself to death, yet people jump to presume it was pills + alcohol, because the drug they have no experience with must surely be worse than the drug they know better. I find that ridiculous too.

Now date rape drugs on the other hand, I can see being highly lethal...

To be clear, I'd lean towards this being murder or date rape overdose more often than accidental overdose from anything the girl took herself.

Tramadol is a recreational drug, it's opiate based. Not widely known outside youths.

I don't think you've got that right. It's a very widely prescribed drug in the UK for pain.

But on the insert isn't written, take with 4 pints of beer. coffee1.gif

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tramadol is a recreational drug, it's opiate based. Not widely known outside youths.

I don't think you've got that right. It's a very widely prescribed drug in the UK for pain.

I left 'as well as being a painkiller' out of the sentence. For youths buying it themselves without a prescription... they are often buying it for other reasons.

Edited by jspill

So Tramadol is used for the same purpose? I didn't know that. In case you think I'm a judgemental "old fart", I grew up in the 1960s - the era of Sex, Drugs & Rock 'n Roll. Been there, done that ..... thumbsup.gif Nevertheless, the way some young people behave nowadays astounds me.

Yes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramadol

The binge drinking culture in the UK is infinitely more harmful, but yeah.

Regarding the Tramadol, apparently she was looking for Nurofen+ (Ibuprofen and Codeine) which is a common painkiller sold in the U.K. and was given Tramadol by a pharmacist in BKK as Nurofen+ is not sold in Thailand. So, nothing really suspicious about that. It's the Vallium I just don't get. Why would a vibrant young girl need Vallium? Presumably she brought it with her from the U.K.

Tramadol is a recreational drug, it's opiate based. Not widely known outside youths. She's about my age, and I've taken it before. I read her tweets as saying that she was enjoying it for those effects not pain. There are plenty of other painkillers she could've chosen or been prescribed with euphoric effects. Valium is also popular amongst recreational pill poppers for relaxing.

Nothing wrong with taking them. I posted earlier that it's really difficult to overdose or find yourself dead from mixing these meds with alcohol, I've taken 600mg tramadol and 5-6 beers and just puked, the body vomits it out. Relatively safe. Death is possible but then so is overdosing on alcohol alone. It would be ridiculous to suggest she drank herself to death, yet people jump to presume it was pills + alcohol, because the drug they have no experience with must surely be worse than the drug they know better. I find that ridiculous too.

To be clear, I'd lean towards this being murder or date rape overdose more often than accidental overdose from anything the girl took herself.

But on the insert isn't written, take with 4 pints of beer. coffee1.gif

You were with her then to know about the 4 pints then, were you A5? I imagine not.

And you have the audacity to accuse the majority of the posters on this and other threads conspiracy theorists. I pity your loved ones (if you have any) having to deal with you and your vile attitude.

You were lucky you didn't have a seizure, tramadol is a synthetic opiate and should have a maximum dose of 400mg a day. Its not like codeine which only suppresses breathing, its seizures that are dangerous with tramadol.

Tramadol is over the counter in Thailand, anybody of legal age can get it from all of the pharmacies. Valium however is not legal but certain pharmacies will sell it illegally.

She sounds like a bright girl however tramadol seizures are a very real possibility, even greater for people without tolerance.

frank83628, on 24 Jan 2015 - 16:45, said:

yes started from page 1…and the comment above is another, you dont know any facts from the what was found at the room..how do you know she didn't take valium and tramadol, pass out and choke on her vomit?….too easy i guess and wouldn't fit in your murder theories.

another…why was she naked??…really??.. a tourist in a tropical climate??..bikini all day then don a night gown to sleep in??

why did someone enter her room??…err, maybe she was supposed to check out, maybe she was supposed to be getting a boat, diving??…..no..in you guys eyes the only possible reason was 'they came to clear up her murder'.

the list goes on and on

If you had read all the posts as you claim, you will see that I provided possible explanations as to why the girl was sleeping naked and why the maid entered her room before the usual check-out time. However, I prefer to keep an open mind. No one knows for sure yet what happened.

frank83628, on 24 Jan 2015 - 16:50, said:

it also seems clear that anyone that has a difference of opinion to some of you is on a mafia payroll….do you remember the whole mafia thing was started back in september by sean mcanna…a 'credible' convicted sex offender?

Sean's recent post on social media concerning the latest death on KT is rather revealing. He admits to wondering if he was paranoid about the whole thing back in September but nevertheless retains his opinion of Mon - an opinion shared by the German girl who witnessed the removal of the latest victim's body.

frank83628, on 24 Jan 2015 - 17:10, said:

actually longstebe..some have actually accused and used names…thats slightly more than just a discussion, i would have thought those comment would /should have been removed by admin to be honest

ps, i am calm,

Are you on Valium as well then? giggle.gif

Neilly, on 24 Jan 2015 - 17:37, said:Neilly, on 24 Jan 2015 - 17:37, said:
sambum, on 23 Jan 2015 - 10:12, said:sambum, on 23 Jan 2015 - 10:12, said:
IslandLover, on 23 Jan 2015 - 02:40, said:IslandLover, on 23 Jan 2015 - 02:40, said:
jspill, on 22 Jan 2015 - 19:55, said:jspill, on 22 Jan 2015 - 19:55, said:jspill, on 22 Jan 2015 - 19:55, said:

All these Koh Tao apologists have some form of vested interest in the island, covered in other threads.

jdinasia - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/775562-british-police-examining-koh-tao-murder-probe-to-return-to-uk/page-11#entry8663016

islandlife - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/788835-french-man-found-hanged-in-koh-tao-with-his-hands-tied-behind-his-back-foul-play-suspected/page-29

JohnThailandJohn too if I recall, can't find a link I'm sure others will confirm.

You forgot AleG

AleG was quite indignant when I said that he had business interests on Koh Tao. However, I didn't really pursue the matter e.g. possibly friends with business interests there (JD, JTJ, Islandlife etc) because to be quite honest his blind defence of ANY suspicious happening on KT makes me wary of anything he says anyway!

Just put all four of them on 'Ignore' and it cuts most of the thbs.gif

I did so a long time ago - and some others besides. Unfortunately, because people still insist on replying to these particular posters, their posts keep showing up in my feed sad.png

and ok, the german girl didn't like the ways the body was moved…what is her experience of seeing dead bodies being moved ?if she is a nurse, medic or doctor then fine, if not, does she know a wrong or right way, i would imagine she would be upset at hearing of a death and any site of a dead body would be disturbing in its self.

you also have to remember this is thailand and not Europe, death is not treated the same, i have never seen dead bodies shown on the news back home but here they are. it just a cultural difference.

People are speculating that she may have died from a mixture of drugs and alcohol yet I see no mention of Tramadol after January 17th. nor any mention of buckets after this date. She had just started on the penicillin the last time she spoke with her boyfriend and could of possibly had a major allergic reaction. You don't necessarily have to be allergic to all penicillin to have a allergic reaction to one type. Have experienced this myself. Very unfortunate that she was alone at this time. All speculation of course. Anything is possible. Autopsy results should determine the cause. MOO

"Ms Annesley’s father, Boyne, told The Independent that the family had been informed by the Foreign Office that his daughter had died from natural causes.

He said: “She tweeted her boyfriend at midnight Thai time on Monday complaining that she had spent £60 on penicillin because she had a chest infection. We never heard from her again."

An unfortunate coincidence it took place on Koh Tao.

frank83628, on 24 Jan 2015 - 18:57, said:

and ok, the german girl didn't like the ways the body was moved…what is her experience of seeing dead bodies being moved ?if she is a nurse, medic or doctor then fine, if not, does she know a wrong or right way, i would imagine she would be upset at hearing of a death and any site of a dead body would be disturbing in its self.

you also have to remember this is thailand and not Europe, death is not treated the same, i have never seen dead bodies shown on the news back home but here they are. it just a cultural difference.

On the contrary, in Europe we are subjected almost daily to images of dead bodies in the media, be it from Ebola, war zones, terrorist atrocities, the latest massacre by ISIS or the the Mexican drug cartels, to cite just a few examples.

it just a cultural difference.

Are you implying that dead bodies in Thailand are not treated with much respect then? Oh wait, I already know the answer to that.

Even the governor of Surat Thani as expressed concerns over tourist safety on Khao Tao, (during the recent double Murder)

A quote

Meanwhile, sources close the governor of Surat Thani province told Khaosod that provincial authorities are considering sacking Thaweesak Inprom, the chief district officer overseeing Koh Tao island, for allegedly neglecting to protect tourists’ safety.

"Mr. Thaweesak has been reprimanded many times about the safety of tourists," the source claimed. "And ever since the murder on Koh Tao took place, he has not reported to his superiors at all."

Officials say they will now implement more measures to protect tourists on Koh Tao, such as additional lighting and CCTVs in "risky areas."

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1410853303&section=

The information you have provided is factually incorrect and is is irresponsible

You may have consumed 600mg with alcohol and lived, but many people do not. The deceased is most likely 1/2 your weight and was on a course of antibiotics with a chest infection. The maximum adult dose is 400 mg.

Are you even aware that this drug presents serious problems when mixed with alcohol? The deceased was consuming spirits not beer.

Here are the relevant parts of the product monograph;

Acute Toxicity :Tramadol taken in excessive doses, either alone or in combination with other CNS depressants (e.g., alcohol), is a cause of drug-related deaths; fatalities associated with both intentional and unintentional overdose. Concurrent use of alcohol or other CNS depressants increases risk of death.

Respiratory Depression: Use with caution in patients at risk for respiratory depression. Large doses administered with anesthetic agents or alcohol may cause respiratory depression; treat as overdose.

And in the meantime, all sorts of ignorant fools are pushing their conspiracy allegations.

actually longstebe..some have actually accused and used names…thats slightly more than just a discussion, i would have thought those comment would /should have been removed by admin to be honest

ps, i am calm,

If you mean being calm is to insult maybe half of the posters, not my opinion of being calm and if you knew anything about psychology then you would have known about provoking and insulting stems from an upset mind, so please, spare me the BS.

It's pretty clear you are upset, but I really don't get it, shouldn't you be more upset about the RTP than the posters here speculating? I mean if you really cared what's going on in Thailand.

In my opinion, the only thing most posters here want is to exclude any wrongdoings concerning her death, but when The RTP keep messing things up, less and less people believe the official story.

Anyone speculating about natural causes in my view have lost their brain cells, the question is NOT how she died, the REAL question is what are the RTP going to do in order for us to believe them.

They either don't live in Thailand or actually live on the island KT with vested interests.

Of course the reason of Christina death is important, but only for her family and friends, for us, the need to feel safe where we live.

This is how it is, like it or not, I live here in Thailand but not on Koh Tao, I live in Phuket, I have invested in Thailand and I do care about my investment, but for the long term.

If these irregular deaths starts to occur elsewhere in LOS in a too high number and regularity, I will probably lose my investment, but I can take it, as long as me and my family are Ok and I will move out to a safer country.

I couldn't care less what happens with the people in Koh Tao but I do care about safety in Thailand, not for anyone else but myself and my family.

Sounds harsh, doesn't it, there's just one snag with my reasoning, I have a great heart, at least I think so, I would never wish another person harm, not even my enemies, although I don't have many.

Unnatural causes of deaths are too many here in LOS and I know alcohol contributes to most of them, but the other ones not involving alcohol or drugs are way, way to high in numbers anyway, compared to most countries.

Another thing is I have two daughters and another son and I know them too well, they would like to go to Koh Phangan or Koh Tao for full moon parties, my oldest is soon too old to go and my youngest is too young at the moment.

Even if it's a fools dream, I still have a dream that Thailand would be safe for young girls and boys to experience what I did in my youth, party, travelling alone, meeting different people with different culture and backgrounds doing so, sleeping on the beach and be safe to do it all, without fear of being raped, beaten up, robbed or killed.

And my daughters and son will probably have children of their own, which makes it again, crucial we have a society we can trust and feel safe, at least as much as we possibly can and don't give up the dream to have a wonderful life.

That way they would grow into people with tolerance and warmth towards each other, yes I know, some are born bad and they will destroy some of that, but I truly think my generation have more tolerance and love within, than any other because we could hitch hike, party all night, have a one night stand or not, and survive, not even being involved in a fight, which was actually VERY rare to happen, whether it was Barbados, Spain, Greece or Sweden.

Of course things happened when I was at that age but like I said, it was very rare.

Who wouldn't want that, the only people I know wouldn't are the ones benefitting from the violence, robberies, scams and whatnot.

Know one thing, the benefit committing a murder or rape based the need to feel superior, even domestic violence is based on that.

I have simplified the reasons but in majority, it's damaged people with VERY low self esteem committing most crimes.

I don't have any proof but surely, do I need any, just read some of the literature that exists about the subject, or the references that exists in physiatry classes all around the world.

Google, Yahoo are wonderful tools finding references about this subject.

I'm a dreamer, I was born that way, but I truly believe people can make wonders sticking together against atrocities and try to do the best they can with their lives, if you don't believe in that, too bad but in that case I KNOW more than you, because I have experienced it.

Before any of you disillusioned guys out there starts picking my words out of context, please read again and try to use sensitivity what I try to convey with my posts, if that's not enough, read again and I'm sure you will find your own truths about yourself at one point.

If people would analyze their own thoughts and hatred posts, they might realise something about themselves and probably most of the time it's all about yourself, your short comings, your bitterness, your lack of friends, your failure in life.

With "your" I don't only mean you, I mean us all.

Trolling post removed and poster given a lovely break from ThaiVisa to calm down. Some of this poster's other posts have been removed as they added nothing to the debate.

Thank you to the rest of you for keeping this thread on-topic whilst I slept.

Welcome to TV Frank. Must say I am always surprised by new members who come crashing in and start shouting from the roof tops about 1 certain subject. At least you have yet to claim to have any interests in Koh Tao, but then I doubt yet you have been asked.

So do you have any business in KT or did you just feel the need to try and protect these people you know nothing about or have any interest in ?

Officials say they will now implement more measures to protect tourists on Koh Tao, such as additional lighting and CCTVs in "risky areas."

Best way for them to protect tourists is to ban people from visiting.

Are they really that naive? Don't they realise it's the local mafia, drug-pushers and scammers that are at the heart of the problem, so it doesn't matter how many CCTV and lights are there. Especially, as all powerful residents are a law unto themselves.

Are they really that naive? Don't they realise it's the local mafia, drug-pushers and scammers that are at the heart of the problem, so it doesn't matter how many CCTV and lights are there. Especially, as all powerful residents are a law unto themselves.

I really believe it's because Thais don't understand us, but that's no surprise, "we" have inflicted their view on us by ourselves. "We" keep coming even if "we" know how they treat us. They don't see us as different individuals, it's like when they refer to themselves as "We Thais don't do this and that, we Thais don't like"

OMG....I am not going to let any of my children or family anywhere near that island. It's very very scary, with a french guy hung with his hands tied to his back last in the last few weeks, and somebody else from the UK who was found dead on the rocks after having gone to bed normally. It is too much of coincidence over there. I wish the army would go themselves and clean the place up

yeah please stay away. Easy. People like you belong to pattaya . So much safer there!

Foul play or not this retched [sic] piece of {deleted voluntarily} of Island REALLY does deserve its new name Death Island

RIP Christina (wish I'd met you before you went there I'd have tried like hell to talk you out of going there)

Lol ,bit rich coming from some wo i assume lives in Bangkok. If imagine more people die there in week then here in year..

They are not naïve at all. Most of the young people that go to these islands are the ones who get rat arsed every Friday and Saturday night. They want to go to an island were drugs are cheap and easy to get. Lets be honest there are not many 20-25 year olds who don't think they are not super human.

Sadly they don't realize just who they start messing with.

Those 5 foot immigrants are a lot tougher than they look.

Foul play or not this retched [sic] piece of {deleted voluntarily} of Island REALLY does deserve its new name Death Island

RIP Christina (wish I'd met you before you went there I'd have tried like hell to talk you out of going there)

Lol ,bit rich coming from some wo i assume lives in Bangkok. If imagine more people die there in week then here in year..

Yes it does but mainly it's domestic violence, traffic accidents, drive by, drunken brawls, regular murders, accidents and suicides, in BKK sort of natural causes.

There are between 12 000 000 and 15 000 000 people living in BKK, approx. 1 400 locals living on Koh Tao.

BKK has 15 000 000 tourists passing or staying, Koh Tao have 200 000 tourists visiting per year.

Please ! do the math.