Thailand backpacker death: Christina Annesley in mystery death on double Brit-murder island

Lite Beer

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From a FB page:

German woman wrote, adding that the reason she thought. Mr Diamond Valley Kitchen bungalow owners. Lying because he told her that Christina drug Temple inlaid with alcohol. Because she wanted to commit suicide.The Labor met her. For it is the day that the customers have to check it out. Step into the room The door was left open to me. ????
she said Do not believe it,
The Owner of the Hotel told me that she took a lot of Valium and Alkohol and she wants to kill herself ... and they just found her because she had to check out this Day and the door was Open and I. do not and can 't believe that !!!

How many tourists are stupid enough to still go to this island?

And how could she spend 60GBP (3,000bht) on antibiotics?

The answer is simple, to a foreign tourist, the pills you have, have cost you whatever you had to pay to get them. Given say a 500 Bt charge into the hands of a doctor for supplying free samples as costed medication, or possibly even coming from his own surgery stock and then the cost of visiting the doctor, added to the cost of whatever transport was required to get to the doctor and back again it takes no imagination at all to see a bill adding up to 2,800 Bt and she would have regarded that whole package as the cost of getting the pills. There is no mystery attached to that cost. This is Thailand after all.

"Tramadol is a recreational drug, it's opiate based...I don't think you've got that right. It's a very widely prescribed drug in the UK for pain."

Just because a drug is "legal" doesn't mean it's effective, safe or non-addictive.

There's no scientific evidence that prescribing opiates for pain eliminates the source of chronic pain:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/01/150115163541.htm

People who use opiates, whether opium, heroin or synthetic opiates are called "junkies".

The fact that a junkie overdoses is not news.

"Combining opioids with alcohol and sedative medication increases the risk of respiratory depression and death, and combinations of opioids, alcohol and sedatives are often present in fatal drug overdoses."

http://www.who.int/substance_abuse/information-sheet/en/

In fact, overdosing on legal, synthetic opiate pills is more common than overdosing on heroin...

I see, you want to support the notion that Koh Tao is more deadly than Phuket but you don't want to look at actual facts?

No surprise. For what is worth, I don't think either one is statistically worse than the other or any other tourist destination in Thailand.

AleG is responding to someone else's post, but I'll jump in the fray....

The last sentence shows an ignorance of what goes on in Thailand. Phuket and Ko Tao (and their surrounding tourist regions) are more dangerous for tourists than other Thai regions, with the possible exception of Pattaya and Bangkok. Look at the stats re; deaths (solved and unsolved), rapes, threats from taxi drivers, and other crimes.

I reside in Chiang Rai, which is a tourist town with a bigger population than Ko Tao, and about the same as Phuket, and we haven't had any tourist related crime (that I know of). Comparatively, Phuket and Ko Tao have had many rapes and murders. One could do comparisons with other touristy areas, like Ko Chang, Issan, Loei, Nan, Pai, Mae Hong Son, and even Chiang Mai, ....and the lopsided stats would still show southern Thai beach areas are many times more dangerous, comparatively.

I see, you want to support the notion that Koh Tao is more deadly than Phuket but you don't want to look at actual facts?

No surprise. For what is worth, I don't think either one is statistically worse than the other or any other tourist destination in Thailand.

AleG is responding to someone else's post, but I'll jump in the fray....

The last sentence shows an ignorance of what goes on in Thailand. Phuket and Ko Tao (and their surrounding tourist regions) are more dangerous for tourists than other Thai regions, with the possible exception of Pattaya and Bangkok. Look at the stats re; deaths (solved and unsolved), rapes, threats from taxi drivers, and other crimes.

I reside in Chiang Rai, which is a tourist town with a bigger population than Ko Tao, and about the same as Phuket, and we haven't had any tourist related crime (that I know of). Comparatively, Phuket and Ko Tao have had many rapes and murders. One could do comparisons with other touristy areas, like Ko Chang, Issan, Loei, Nan, Pai, Mae Hong Son, and even Chiang Mai, ....and the lopsided stats would still show southern Thai beach areas are many times more dangerous, comparatively.

"Look at the stats..."

I know where you are pulling the stats from, I'm not looking.

UPDATE:

Autopsy detects no sign of attack on British backpacker

Full story: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/794722-autopsy-detects-no-sign-of-an-attack-on-british-koh-tao-backpacker/

I hope this autopsy report will make an end to all the speculations so the victims family can get some peace and try to get on with their lifes.

You make an arrogant assumption that the family actually reads the posts on TV and another that they actually care what we write.

I think I can say that the majority of posters here have the utmost empathy with Christina's family and friends.

The ones that isn't included in this empathy are people who try to cover up or diminish the actual tragedy.

Doubt we will ever know the truth but i would not be surprised if there was something untoward about the poor girls death.

Doubt the tramadol was anything to do with it? Very hard to O/D from tramadol & when Brit kids talk like that on social network sites it is 99% just usually for effect. It is highly doubtful she took a dangerous amount.

As for the price of antibiotics as Kevin2852 & others say says it would not be that difficult & it also depends on the type.

I know many are cheap in thailand but last year i was charged about £30 for a weeks supply in bangkok after a hospital visit. This was just for the tablets & excluded the doctors fee. I didnt buy from the hospital as thought i would be overcharged there but found not all pharmacys had them & the ones that did were similar in price to the hospital for this particular drug. I should imagine that type certainly could easily be double the price on a small island like Ko Tao.

Good post with a lot of truth in it. A bit off topic, but yes, I remember the "halcyon days" of the 60's , but unfortunately you can't turn the clock back. One of the main problems these days is not alcohol, (that has been around for centuries), but addictive drugs like heroin and "yabba", where the user will do almost anything to get their next "fix". And yes, I "experimented" with drugs when I was younger (pills, pot etc) but our generation were more interested in having a good time than kicking the s**t stuffing out of somebody.(And 4 to 5 on to 1 is not exclusively a Thai thing, by the way - it happens every weekend in every town centre in the UK - it's just that over here if a farang gets into a dust up with a Thai, then there are always a few Thai bystanders who will bale in to help out their fellow countryman, no matter who started the misunderstanding)

P,S. I would suggest that frank83628 finds his feet first before suggesting what TV admin should or shouldn't do!

Thanks sambum, I'm aware we can't turn the clock back but I believe we don't have to do that and I'm also aware it's not just Thailand, it's more the fact I together with others live here.

In some parts of Sweden where I lived before I moved to Sweden, there were a change, a radical change when it came to crimes and unprovoked violence, mostly because the citizens had enough of it.

I do think and believe it's a choice as human beings we have to make, the increased violence and crimes isn't just dropped upon us like tidal wave.

We do have to stand together and make our voices heard so the ones that are violent or criminal don't stand unchallenged, regardless if we put ourselves in the line of fire.

Sorry for being out of topic.

Can you really overdose on antibiotics? .. You would have to take a huge amount and why would she. Take something like amoxicillin you would normally take 500g X 3 per day depending on your weight. If you was low weight then just 250g X 3 but if you had severe infection they may give you 2g or so in one go. I think it's very hard to do yourself in on antibiotics. You may get the squits but death is very unlikely. One thing there is some very bad bacteria in the air con and showers. Things like legionnaires disease are found in these areas. I believe. Let's hope the family get the truth.

I didn't claim the list to be a complete dossier on every single murder of tourists in Phuket for the last ten years.

You claimed that Koh Tao is more deathly than Phuket based on "statistics", I say you based that on hot air, because you have neither provided statistics for Phuket or Koh Tao to support your claim.

We are not concerned about the last 10 years - we are concerned about events over the last year, where the list of "accidental" deaths on Koh Tao seems disproportionately large for the size of the island, and the investigations into at least one of them has been shown to be amateurish and unprofessional to say the least, but of course you wouldn't care to admit that - would you?

No surprise.

For what is worth, I don't think either one is statistically worse than the other or any other tourist destination in Thailand.

Then why are you quoting figures from the last 10 years supposedly showing that Phuket has a higher murder rate than Koh Tao? And you haven't answered my question!

Good post with a lot of truth in it. A bit off topic, but yes, I remember the "halcyon days" of the 60's , but unfortunately you can't turn the clock back. One of the main problems these days is not alcohol, (that has been around for centuries), but addictive drugs like heroin and "yabba", where the user will do almost anything to get their next "fix". And yes, I "experimented" with drugs when I was younger (pills, pot etc) but our generation were more interested in having a good time than kicking the s**t stuffing out of somebody.(And 4 to 5 on to 1 is not exclusively a Thai thing, by the way - it happens every weekend in every town centre in the UK - it's just that over here if a farang gets into a dust up with a Thai, then there are always a few Thai bystanders who will bale in to help out their fellow countryman, no matter who started the misunderstanding)

P,S. I would suggest that frank83628 finds his feet first before suggesting what TV admin should or shouldn't do!

Thanks sambum, I'm aware we can't turn the clock back but I believe we don't have to do that and I'm also aware it's not just Thailand, it's more the fact I together with others live here.

In some parts of Sweden where I lived before I moved to Sweden, there were a change, a radical change when it came to crimes and unprovoked violence, mostly because the citizens had enough of it.

I do think and believe it's a choice as human beings we have to make, the increased violence and crimes isn't just dropped upon us like tidal wave.

We do have to stand together and make our voices heard so the ones that are violent or criminal don't stand unchallenged, regardless if we put ourselves in the line of fire.

Unfortunately, although we live here, we are (theoretically anyway) "guests" in a foreign country, and any changes here would have to be facilitated by the Thais themselves, and their mindset is drastically different to ours, as you will know! We can certainly make suggestions, and point out the changes that have occurred in other countries, but you will always be up against the "What does he know, he's just a dumb farang!" brigade, and more importantly, the corruption that is so prevalent here lends itself to people with money being able to literally get away with murder! (In Sweden (and Norway) you had a problem with crime and unprovoked violence, but not so much in the way of (police) corruption. Hence, I fear that you are facing a losing battle, and at the very least an uphill struggle, as even farangs with money are able to buy themselves out of trouble. But I do share your concerns - however, I do not think that we, as "farangs" have the answers here.

Unfortunately, although we live here, we are (theoretically anyway) "guests" in a foreign country, and any changes here would have to be facilitated by the Thais themselves, and their mindset is drastically different to ours, as you will know! We can certainly make suggestions, and point out the changes that have occurred in other countries, but you will always be up against the "What does he know, he's just a dumb farang!" brigade, and more importantly, the corruption that is so prevalent here lends itself to people with money being able to literally get away with murder! (In Sweden (and Norway) you had a problem with crime and unprovoked violence, but not so much in the way of (police) corruption. Hence, I fear that you are facing a losing battle, and at the very least an uphill struggle, as even farangs with money are able to buy themselves out of trouble. But I do share your concerns - however, I do not think that we, as "farangs" have the answers here.

Actually we can make a difference, a small one at that.

No answers but we can continue to question information given to us from police, authorities, forum members and media, when the information is filtered, garbled, minimalistic or wrong.

I also have to correct one thing I wrote earlier "before I moved to Sweden" should have been "before I moved to Thailand" but I guess you already understood that.

Most readers here know this, but I'll mention it for those who may not know....

When checking out of a hospital in Thailand, you're not required to buy all the pills subscribed. Thai doctors tend to over-prescribe pills. There's also the dynamic of pill companies (Pharma) lobby doctors and hospitals to carry their brands. The more pills sold, the more money is generated for doctors and pill sellers. Before or when checking out, it's ok to discuss the pros and cons of recommended drugs with the pharmacists at the dispensary - and if something doesn't seem right (antibiotic for a flu, for example), you're allowed to pass on it.

Rarely do Thai folks, in particular, decline any pills which are prescribed by doctors or clinics. Regarding farang, I don't know how often (in general), but for me (a farang), I'll pass on pills if I think (or know) they're unnecessary. As for Aspirin, Tylenol has a tight grip on dispensaries throughout Thailand, as their salespeople must be very active. Bayer works better, but it's hard to find.

Can you really overdose on antibiotics? .. You would have to take a huge amount and why would she. Take something like amoxicillin you would normally take 500g X 3 per day depending on your weight. If you was low weight then just 250g X 3 but if you had severe infection they may give you 2g or so in one go. I think it's very hard to do yourself in on antibiotics. You may get the squits but death is very unlikely. One thing there is some very bad bacteria in the air con and showers. Things like legionnaires disease are found in these areas. I believe. Let's hope the family get the truth.

You don't die from overdosing on antibiotics, and also not from mixing alcohol with antibiotics, it will only render some antibiotics ineffective but even not all.

You may die from mixing alcohol with an overdose of tramadol, which isn't an antibiotic, but classified as a narcotic.

Things are changing now -

The mother of a backpacker who died on the Thai island where two Brits were murdered today demanded her body is returned to the UK for examination saying she feared a “cover-up” by local police.

The University of Leeds graduate was found dead in her cabin, with blood on her face, by a resort worker when she did not check out on time.

www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/mother-of-backpacker-who-died-on-thai-island-the-last-words-we-said-were-i-love-you-10001861.html

The mother of a backpacker who died on the Thai island where two Brits were murdered today demanded her body is returned to the UK for examination saying she feared a “cover-up” by local police.

The University of Leeds graduate was found dead in her cabin, with blood on her face, by a resort worker when she did not check out on time.

www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/mother-of-backpacker-who-died-on-thai-island-the-last-words-we-said-were-i-love-you-10001861.html

Has anywhere else as by this tabloid been reported that there was blood on Christina's face ?

By the way, did you read the statement of the mother

“Christina did not have a pre-existing medical condition. She said she had been given antibiotics for a chest infection, so it could’ve been a blood clot. We just don’t know at this stage.

That could explain that she coughed up some blood, not?

Has anywhere else as by this tabloid been reported that there was blood on Christina's face ?

“Christina did not have a pre-existing medical condition. She said she had been given antibiotics for a chest infection, so it could’ve been a blood clot. We just don’t know at this stage.

Do put an end to your speculating dear. I was simply linking the latest article.

Do put an end to your speculating dear. I was simply linking the latest article.

What was I speculating honey? I just asked a question and quoted a statement from the mother in the same article.

So her Mum doesn't automatically believe her daughter's death was from natural causes.

I wonder why it was reported that she did and by whom?

Are tabloid been considered credible resources now?

Has the same been reported anywhere else?

So her Mum doesn't automatically believe her daughter's death was from natural causes.

It's the London Evening Standard. Not Viz.

Also mentioned in the article . . .

Apparently facebook post by mum was credible on here by some, but not in the media?? Its got the Major of Koh Tao jumping thats for sure http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/794971-koh-tao-mayor-blasts-uk-medias-negative-reporting/

I'm not from London, but this is what I found about the London evening standard.

The London Evening Standard (simply the Evening Standard before May 2009) is a local, free daily newspaper, published Monday to Friday in tabloid format in London

And this is what I found about Tabloits.

Tabloid journalism is a style of journalism that tends to emphasize topics such as sensational crime stories, astrology, gossip columns about the personal lives of celebrities and sports stars, and junk food news. Such journalism is commonly associated with tabloid sized newspapers like the National Enquirer, Globe, or The Sun and the former News of the World.

Now, my question is still unanswered. Was the same reported anywhere else?

Apparently facebook post by mum was credible on here by some, but not in the media?? Its got the Major of Koh Tao jumping thats for sure http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/794971-koh-tao-mayor-blasts-uk-medias-negative-reporting/

The post on FB was written by the mother personally.

Does she also print the London evening standard?

Did the mayor mention the London evening standard?

Also mentioned in the article . . .

I see you edited your post, so if you read the article you must have also read the following statement from the MOTHER.

Can you make th link Chest - blood clot- cough- mouth- face ?

The statement you highlight so nicely was made by the evening standard NOT the mother.

Archived