Danger of 2nd Road jomtien.

lou62

I live in JBC so not far before the junction with Wat Boon. The amount of accidents along this stretch of motorway (on 2nd Road in both directions) are disturbing.

Moto cycle driver killed a couple of days ago going through the gap in the blocked off U-turn just before Wat Boon travelling South, more people killed (I'm led to believe by some witnesses) tonight near another U-turn beside our condo heading North with three ambulances attending.

I see smashed up scooters lying on their sides along the road (with people frantically waving things to divert the traffic) as I drive along this area on an almost daily basis.

There are traffic lights at Wat Boon and beside our condo but neither of them are operational, crossing the road for pedestrians is highly dangerous as the traffic travels so fast in both directions.

Not sure what can be done to rectify the problem, but a problem there is.

Edited by lou62
  • Like 2

The blocking off of the Soi Watboon intersection has helped create a speedway in that section of Jomtien Second Road. I was gone for seven months when they blocked of Soi Watboon and wonder why they did that. Were there problems at that intersection with traffic lights in operation?

It's beyond imagination as to why the traffic lights don't work. Those intersections are pure death traps. I've seen many accidents on this road over the past few years. Unfortunately, many involve scooters doing dodgy maneuvers. Saw one a few weeks ago where a scooter cut inside a car doing a U-Turn near your condo. The truck didn't see the scooter and ran them over as they made the U-turn. There's no lane for the U-turns. So you have to partially block traffic and it's a real mess. Crazy.

It's beyond imagination as to why the traffic lights don't work. Those intersections are pure death traps. I've seen many accidents on this road over the past few years. Unfortunately, many involve scooters doing dodgy maneuvers. Saw one a few weeks ago where a scooter cut inside a car doing a U-Turn near your condo. The truck didn't see the scooter and ran them over as they made the U-turn. There's no lane for the U-turns. So you have to partially block traffic and it's a real mess. Crazy.

Huge intersection, why not install a roundabout? There's not enough traffic for the usual excuse of Thai's don't know how to use them for it not to be worth a try. With a large roundabout the traffic has to slow down, unlike at traffic lights and the ridiculous u-turns where vehicles can just continue at full speed.

• Like 1

Just another example of 3rd world infrastructure and Thais who can't prioritize, plan or have an original thought. I live there too and the road SUCKS....

A lack of accountability is a big part also. If the city was sued for big money due to an accident caused by a light that didn't properly function, you'd probably see action towards fixing these issues. Otherwise, mai pen ria.

You rarely see roundabouts here though they are very common in Europe. I dont know why. Even the Dolphin roundabout was altered so as to make it not a full roundabout. Too much traffic? Unwillingness of drivers to give way?

In many places it seems as though a roundabout would cause much less congestion than the lights do. There is also the combination of a roundabout with access controlled by lights that seems to work well in congested intersections in Europe.

• Like 2

If in doubt, stick a U-Turn option in.

If it doesn't work, block it off.

Blocking it off allows motor-bikes to sneak thru.

Add "block-off" barriers.

And the motor-bikes will still sneak thru at one end or the other.

They just don't "get-it".

Until ........ the inevitable happens

• Like 1

Never seen an accident there and I pass that area daily, from soi chaiyapruek to wat boon on 2nd road. Most vehicles seems to drive slowly due to traffic lights not working. Maybe I've just been lucky.

The blocking off of the Soi Watboon intersection has helped create a speedway in that section of Jomtien Second Road. I was gone for seven months when they blocked of Soi Watboon and wonder why they did that. Were there problems at that intersection with traffic lights in operation?

When intersection was blocked for sewer and conjunction box construction the intersection was closed to cross traffic forcing traffic to use the uturns before and after the signal. They should have left yellow or red flashers on the signals as a safety measure. Putting buttons in the pavement may help people slow down.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Yes, drivers ignored them, too many crashes and fatalities, no difference with our without lights so might as well turn them off.

Huge intersection, why not install a roundabout? There's not enough traffic for the usual excuse of Thai's don't know how to use them for it not to be worth a try. With a large roundabout the traffic has to slow down, unlike at traffic lights and the ridiculous u-turns where vehicles can just continue at full speed.

Roundabouts are to complicated for Thai's to understand.

• Like 1

I also live at JBC and i agree with the OP, why on earth have they not put the lights back in at end of Wat Boon and 2nd road? Maybe now constructions complete they will but that's probably a dream. Did notice they recently ( yesterday) removed the U-turn blockade immediately off of Wat Boon going South.

The blocking off of the Soi Watboon intersection has helped create a speedway in that section of Jomtien Second Road.

How Jomtien second road be a speedway with so many speed bumps?

Correction, they are not speed bumps but speed dips.

Also known as construction defects? whistling.gif

• Like 1

There was so much corruption involved in extending 2nd road in Jometien that there was / is no money left over for traffic lights or maintenance

Just like why after Chayapuke the road enters Sukumvit and you can only go Northbound ? Obviously the road was only built to increase the value of the land it crossed for the future condominiums along that section

And please don't retort with they will eventually build a Southbound entrance to Suk because that isn't going to happen, not with the Chaiyaphruek and Chaiyaphruek 2 intersection only 1,100 meters away

It's only going to get worse. Four years ago you could ride/drive all the way from Chayapruek to Jomtien at any time of the day and not even see another vehicle.

That was because the Chayapruek/2nd Road intersection was left unfinished 100m short, Soi Watboonkanjana (from 2nd Road to Beach Road) had not been developed on the northern side, and there was literally no construction of any kind on 2nd Road apart from the Rimhaad village and the set of condos. Look at it now - hugely different and still lots of new construction to be started or currently in progress.

The traffic lights at Soi Watboonkanjana did slow traffic down, as did the temporary use of the lights at the condos. I suspect that when they finally finish Watboonkanjana drainage and resealing that they'll turn the lights back on. I see there are another 20 huge concrete pipes on the roadside at the western side of the intersection so looks like something else is still to happen.

It used to be a doddle to go to Jomtien on 2nd Road. Now I often zip down Soi Rimhaad to Beach Road to get the saner (relatively speaking) traffic to go to Jomtien. Unfortunately coming home is not so simple as whatever soi you use from Beach Road, you're stuck with a U-Turn if you want to go south.

I feel a bit silly saying this, but maybe Thepprasit and Suk are a better/safer option to get home these days. sick.gif.pagespeed.ce.tVTSNn-2vrJpEP3T5-

The irony is that the road needs a 100% increase in traffic volume and/or three or four working sets of lights to make it slower and safer. At the moment it's being driven at highway speeds because the volume of traffic allows this to happen. In another 5 years it will be as developed as say Pattaya 3rd Road and will be a much slower and safer stretch or road (by comparative local standards).

In the meantime........&lt;deleted&gt; will continue to happen.

Edited by Gsxrnz

The blocking off of the Soi Watboon intersection has helped create a speedway in that section of Jomtien Second Road.

How Jomtien second road be a speedway with so many speed bumps?

Correction, they are not speed bumps but speed dips.

Also known as construction defects? whistling.gif

Almost correct, sounds the same, but in fact they are corruption deflects.