If you’ve got a $10 head, wear a $10 helmet! by Dr.Iain Corness

There's going to be people that hate me for this....but no. A doctor should well understand Darwin's survival of the fittest. Attempting to defeat nature's way of weeding out bad genes is not a good idea.

Plus, doing that would mean a lot less "Hey, hold my beer and watch this" videos on Youtube.

• Like 2

Yes I agree 100% not wearing a helmet is stupid but the Thais seems to think Buddha protects them.

Dr. Iain Corness; right next to your hospital (BKK/Pattaya) there is a college and I see the students again and again leaving it on their bikes (sometimes 3 students on one bike) and less than 25% wear helmets. Those students are supposed to be intelligent young people but why on earth don't they wear a helmet?

The police seems to leave students on bikes alone but when a non Thai comes along they get stopped even if wearing a helmet.

The police should go visit all schools/colleges and tell them about the benefits of wearing helmets and convince them that the helmet is not to make the police happy but to protect their heads.

I don't ride any bike on Sukhumvitt after 2100 hours, it's too risky with often drunk people racing (cars/trucks/bikes). I take my pick-up truck where I can take a hard impact from behind and likely walk away. The police should be there in the weekends and arrest anybody over the level.

• Like 1

So according to Dave many people should (better?) die (to raise the quality of genes)??? Cool biker talk.

Yes Doctor, wearing helmets is a good thing and everyone should do it. But this is thai culture and wearing a helmet is not cool in this hot climate. And people could think you fear having an accident, big loss of face.

"If youve got a $10 head, wear a $10 helmet!"
Imo better first make sure that people wear a helmet, then try to raise the quality of helmets. Its not clever trying to do both at the same time imo.

So according to Dave many people should (better?) die (to raise the quality of genes)??? Cool biker talk.

Yes Doctor, wearing helmets is a good thing and everyone should do it. But this is thai culture and wearing a helmet is not cool in this hot climate. And people could think you fear having an accident, big loss of face.

"If youve got a $10 head, wear a $10 helmet!"

Imo better first make sure that people wear a helmet, then try to raise the quality of helmets. Its not clever trying to do both at the same time imo.

If you are stupid enough to choose a lifestyle that results in an increased exposure of danger...than yes.

Did Steve Irwin deserved what happened? Do gang bangers deserve what happen?

I not so humbly submit that the answer to those questions is yes.

Nothing wrong with seeking thrills or choosing a danger-filled life; just don't expect sympathy or a sugar coated 'Oh...they chose to do *whatever* and now that it came back to bite them in the ass it's so sad' from me. Cruel? Perhaps, but it's attitudes like mine that has progressed the human race. Our ancestors who decided petting the big kitty cat (lion) would be a good idea luckily were unable to pass their genes on.

Cool bikers promote the sport in a safe way. They don't tolerate stupidity; wether it's a squid endangering themselves and others or an image that others want to display that turns the general public against us. Riding a bike is not a carte blanche ticket that automatically gives you respect.

• Like 1

There's going to be people that hate me for this....but no. A doctor should well understand Darwin's survival of the fittest. Attempting to defeat nature's way of weeding out bad genes is not a good idea.

Plus, doing that would mean a lot less "Hey, hold my beer and watch this" videos on Youtube.

You wouldn't say that if you saw head trauma everyday for a living.

You wouldn't say that if you saw head trauma everyday for a living.

Perhaps I wouldn't.

Or perhaps my empathy is low due to my background and experiences.

Or perhaps I am a realist, and don't have lofty ideals that have no real world practical value.

Take your pick and form your own opinion.

Most thai people not wearing a helmet do so because they were never seriously taught to do it the other way when they were young. Not because "they are less fit (less intelligent)". If farang do it, i agree, thats stupid. But we all make mistakes, especially when on holiday far away from home. Has nothing to do with the IQ or Darwin.

Its rooted deep in thai culture. Noone wants to start being a role model. The teachers not, the policemen not, the parents of course not...

As everything else in this country, it will take decades to change such bad habbits. If ever people really want to change it...

Edited by wantan

Seen immediately outside the Pattaya police station Soi 9/Beach Road last Sunday:

BIB is stopping scooters (Thai and non-Thai riders) for no helmets.

Offenders get a ticket (and their keys confiscated) and immediately go into the cop shop and pay the fine. Admittedly, a few of the Thais had to phone home for a cash delivery to be made.

Offenders emerge from the cop shop 20-30 minutes later, show the BIB their receipt, retrieve their keys, and ride off sans helmet.

Meanwhile, about 20 BIB have entered or left the station on their bikes/scooters - must have been a shift change or something. Twelve of them weren't wearing helmets.

I struggle to see the logic in issuing a fine and letting them ride off again without a helmet. If it was me I'd tell them to make their way to the nearest shop and buy a helmet - ok, so for 400B it ain't gonna be a Shoei, but my el cheapo helmet has saved my bonce twice and is certainly better than nothing.

Edited by Gsxrnz
  • Like 2

Most thai people not wearing a helmet do so because they were never seriously tought to do it the other way when they were young. Not because "they are less fit (less intelligent)". If farang do it, i agree, thats stupid. But we all make mistakes, especially when on holiday far away from home. Has nothing to do with the IQ or Darwin.

Its rooted deep in thai culture. Noone wants to start being a role model. The teachers not, the policemen not, the parents of course not...

As everything else in this country, it will take decades to change such bad habbits. If ever people really want to change it...

I take issue with this. Not being taught something as a child is no excuse fora lack of an innate intelligence. Hell, a dog is born and raised by its mother and yet you can still teach it when grown to sit, heel, roll over, and shake hands. Perhaps I'm reading too much into this, but it seems that you are saying that Thais lack the natural disposition towards learning that even a dog has! I am claiming that they do have it, just choose to make poor choices.

The train of thought about not wanting to be a role model can be quickly disabused also. There are cheap helmets in Lotus and Big C. Watching the epitome of motorcycle riding, Isle of Man or SBK, exposes them to helmet use. Foreign films show it. Adverts for new bikes show it. Even the latest Tony Jaa film, when he is attacked by people on motorbikes (yet again!) has it. There are plenty of pre-established role models that the Thais would not have to supplant.

Your last sentence nails it. And says everything I've been saying. People choose to, or not to, place themselves in danger. They have the knowledge and the means to protect themselves. The choose not to. Hard to feel sympathy.

• Like 1

i have a 800 USD head then!

for Thai people, especially young ones, they like to show their face to the girls/boys around and dont want helmet hair! some even think wearing a helmet is for cowards and people around might stamp them as a coward!

one thing they forget though, if they hit their face badly or die, no one will remember their faces after a couple of days!

where we come from, riders praise each other with the price and quality of their helmet.

• Like 1

Seen immediately outside the Pattaya police station Soi 9/Beach Road last Sunday:

Offenders get a ticket (and their keys confiscated) and immediately go into the cop shop and pay the fine. Admittedly, a few of the Thais had to phone home for a cash delivery to be made.

Offenders emerge from the cop shop 20-30 minutes later, show the BIB their receipt, retrieve their keys, and ride off sans helmet.

Meanwhile, about 20 BIB have entered or left the station on their bikes/scooters - must have been a shift change or something. Twelve of them weren't wearing helmets.

I struggle to see the logic in issuing a fine and letting them ride off again without a helmet. If it was me I'd tell them to make their way to the nearest shop and buy a helmet - ok, so for 400B it ain't gonna be a Shoei, but my el cheapo helmet has saved my bonce twice and is certainly better than nothing.

An excellent suggestion. Not sure what the fine is for non-helmet usage, but it has to be at least 1/2 of the cost of one of those plastic lids which is better than nothing. If there is going to be honest enforcement of the helmet laws, I propose that the tickets should be 2x the cost of the cheapest legal helmet with perhaps for the first month or so the ticket being waived if the rider immediately obtains a lid.

for Thai people, especially young ones, they like to show their face to the girls/boys around and dont want helmet hair! some even think wearing a helmet is for cowards and people around might stamp them as a coward!

one thing they forget though, if they hit their face badly or die, no one will remember their faces after a couple of days!

where we come from, riders praise each other with the price and quality of their helmet.

Yep...can't show off the silicone nose or chemically bleached skin if it's covered up by a helmet.

Luckily Mrs. dave_boo doesn't want a "black face" (leaving aside the vanity that implies) so she insists on wearing a full face helmet. Now if only I could convince her that the pants and boots are mandatory also....

• Like 1

The whole mindset of the government must change regarding helmets. It should be mandatory for everyone. The police don't wear helmets, kids don't and the enforcement is a known racket to collect money, not to enforce the law. So, no it will not change until the govt decides its important enough to enforce.

Imo the first thing to start with is to fine the 12 policemen that came without helmet. And tell them if they dont want to wear a helmet then they have to look for a different job. Same with teachers. If you dont start with police and teachers sticking to the rules it will always be a farce.

• Like 2

Yep...can't show off the silicone nose or chemically bleached skin if it's covered up by a helmet.

Luckily Mrs. dave_boo doesn't want a "black face" (leaving aside the vanity that implies) so she insists on wearing a full face helmet. Now if only I could convince her that the pants and boots are mandatory also....

in time bro!

my gf likes helmets, jackets, boots etc and wears them with joy all the time. provided that they are expensive though:) she knows the difference between a Real or Shoei or HJC or difference between cheap Thai made riding shoes and expensive hard long riding boots unfortunately! so had to buy good stuff for her and anyway she deserves extra safety as a human being trusting me therefore sitting behind me under my responsibility as the rider and with her patience as a pillion. it is sure not for everyone to be my pillion rider believe me!

112:

Nice going on the price & quality of your helmet.

You deserve high praise for that.

Way to go!

Keep up the good work.

You da man!!

Great!

thanks for your high praises then!

do you have a problem with the price of my helmet papa? yes, i know, it is the around the same price with your carbed cbr150r but some give importance on these kind of things. extra safety, quality, comfort, less noise, style, colors, graphics, a helmet from a company who can spend good amount of cash to R&D etc. back home we believe, a good quality expensive helmet will show you more handsome:)

you sound like an envious guy with ego problems at times, you know?

Edited by ll2

God, imagine being a kid in that family.. everyone wearing helmets inside a car.

i guess those kids wear their helmets on the school bus too.

what a life

• Like 2

God, imagine being a kid in that family.. everyone wearing helmets inside a car.

what a life

George Carlin noted that now-a-days kids have to wear a helmet for everything except jerking off.

what a life

George Carlin noted that now-a-days kids have to wear a helmet for everything except jerking off.

yes in this instance a pair of safety glasses will suffice

26% of head injuries are caused by leisure!

I'm going to start wearing a helmet while I'm watching TV or dicking around on the computer.

Is the reason that motorcycle head injuries are low in this graph is because of mandatory helmet laws which are enforced resulting in less injuries while riding a motorcycle? Interesting deduction.