Restriction of liquor sale time takes effect today throughout Thailand

webfact

I've been in touch with a Nana bar manager and NOTHING HAS CHANGED. The only difference now to previous rules appears to be that whereas before you could buy 10+ litres at any time, now you can't. Bars and restaurants are not affected. The report from a Thai media outlet (Thai PBS) is poorly presented. Nothing new there either.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone believe that this law actually had any noticeable effect on underage drinking, which I believe is the reason for its invention?

As in most cases, if the idiots properly enforced the perfectly fit-for-purpose laws they have in place, they wouldn't have to keep inventing new ones or having "crackdowns".

I heard it was to keep school kids from buying alcohol after school.

Or maybe to make sure drunks don't live in bars all day.

Does anyone know why alcohol can't be purchased between 2-5pm, what is so significant about those 3 hours?

Probably already been mentioned but is this an alcohol sales ban after 12pm or an alcohol drinking ban after 12pm. Personally I drink a large Leo about every hour, so if I was to order my last drink at 11.55 pm and settle my check bin before 12pm then presumably I could carry on drinking my beer until 1am in the bar or just outside the bar if it has closed. Or to take it to the extreme I could take my own cooler into the bar full of beer and hand out free beers to my friends after 12pm and we could carry on drinking without any money changing hands until all the beer in finished.

There is no such time as 12:00 p.m., in which p.m. means post meridiem. In fact, 12:00 noon is the meridiem, while 12:00 midnight is neither ante nor post meridiem, being equidistant from the meridiem either retrospectively or prospectively. If you mean noon, say noon. If you mean midnight, say midnight.

This law only seems to apply to the big sellers, 7-11, Tesco and so on. All the small family shops will get an extra income, because they don't care about this restriction - and this makes them really happy, courtesy of the General.

No difference at all the 11-2 and 5-12 law has been in place for years now, maybe 8 years or so.

All bars here were still selling and partying at 3.30am………….. Even 7/11's and Family Marts were selling alcohol at 2am this morning. No wonder bar owners are suffering when the cheap charlies can buy at 7/11 and walk the streets. If they wanted to make some restrictions they could 1) Make it illegal to drink in public i.e. parks, street etc. 2) Introduce the responsible service of alcohol on licence premises. These 2 laws would mean that anyone who wanted to drink would either have to drink at home or would have to drink at a licensed venue bars, clubs, restaurants and would not be able to take the alcohol out onto the street. The licence venue would be able to refuse the sale of alcohol to anyone who they thought was too intoxicated or getting to that point. This would mean more customers for the venues and less crap on the streets.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

There is no such time as 12:00 p.m., in which p.m. means post meridiem. In fact, 12:00 noon is the meridiem, while 12:00 midnight is neither ante nor post meridiem, being equidistant from the meridiem either retrospectively or prospectively. If you mean noon, say noon. If you mean midnight, say midnight.

Are you always so pedantic-you know what I mean.

This law only seems to apply to the big sellers, 7-11, Tesco and so on. All the small family shops will get an extra income, because they don't care about this restriction - and this makes them really happy, courtesy of the General.

No difference at all the 11-2 and 5-12 law has been in place for years now, maybe 8 years or so.

All bars here were still selling and partying at 3.30am………….. Even 7/11's and Family Marts were selling alcohol at 2am this morning. No wonder bar owners are suffering when the cheap charlies can buy at 7/11 and walk the streets. If they wanted to make some restrictions they could 1) Make it illegal to drink in public i.e. parks, street etc. 2) Introduce the responsible service of alcohol on licence premises. These 2 laws would mean that anyone who wanted to drink would either have to drink at home or would have to drink at a licensed venue bars, clubs, restaurants and would not be able to take the alcohol out onto the street. The licence venue would be able to refuse the sale of alcohol to anyone who they thought was too intoxicated or getting to that point. This would mean more customers for the venues and less crap on the streets.

Laws and rules speaking all the time, do you miss nannystate where the goverment control your life?

The law has been in effect for most of the weekend. Has anyone noticed any change in hours or had any restrictions on their drinking routines?

I suspect that as much will come of these restrictions as came of the reported restrictions on alcohol promotions a few months ago; in short, nothing.

That's exactly like a normal country does.. Therein lies the problem! Can a licensed venue not refuse to sell to people they believe to be over the top drunk or a potential problem anyway? I used to when I had bars in Koh Samui. Enforcing age limits might help too. As in the UK maybe? How it works there is the person serving thinks the person is under 25 they have to produce ID to show they're over 18 years old (I haven't got the number confused). When I was visiting a friend in Banglamung he use to drink at the v'Blue Shop' the shop had put tables and chairs outside to facilitate this. On NY eve they actually had a live band! Mind you, there was no bar in the little 'vallage'. I saw this phenomena in Bali too.. But watching the sad old pissheads sat outside 7011 and necking cheap piss isn't nice. Why don't they go home and drink it? In fairness, I wouldn't want these people in my bar anyway (not that I have one now, that was all 10 years ago!)

Thanks Khun Ajarn but I wish we all would use the logical and practical 24 hrs watch where midnight is 0000 hrs, noon is 1200 hrs, 4 am is 0400 hrs, 4 pm is 1600 hrs etc. Absolutely no confusion!

Edited by MZurf

... while entertainment venues which in the past were allowed to sell alcohol from 9.00 pm 2.00 am can only do so up to midnight.

This means that in total, night time entertainment venues can only legally sell alcohol for 5 hours every day which in total is less than regular restaurants.

Not if their licence stipulates otherwise. The Entertainment Zones (Patpong, Cowboy, RCA, Ratchada) are allowed to sell alcohol until 2am and some other businesses may have similar provisions to stay open later.

I think you will find that by law even the special entertainment zones are 1 am.. legally..

12 for everywhere else..

Of course thats just by law..

not if their license stipul.... ahh frig it yeah you are right all the bars can only open from 10pm to 11pm on the 15th of every month and at no other time no matter what their license says .... or you could do a bit of research and find out

Provincial Police Deputy Commander Peerayuth Karajedee says nothing has changed these are the same laws as have been in force for 10 years, and , this has no effect on bars in places like Patong which operate under different licenses as they are entertainment venues

No the police simply take payments to allow the law to be broken..

Otherwise how do they force the closure of entertainment venues in chiang mai and udon if its not a law ?? Why is it 4am in pattaya and bangla ??

Its simply corruption and lawbreaking.. not a different law.

Sigh!.......

I will give it till midnight tonight for this legislation to fall apart.

You will find bars operating in Patts tonight well after midnight.. Just you watch.

Most of the police are already "on the payroll".

Bars in Pattaya, if properly licensed, will be operating as normal.

It can't be repeated enough, this is NOT new legislation.

Some parts of it are new !! You can keep denying it, but the removal of bulk supplies in those hours is without question new.

Sigh!.......

You will find bars operating in Patts tonight well after midnight.. Just you watch.

"....entertainment venues which in the past were allowed to sell alcohol from 9.00 pm – 2.00 am can only do so up to midnight."

This is why people are confused, aren't Bars, Gogo's and Clubs entertainment venues?

the short answer is no

under the liquor licensing laws they are "Entertainment venues in a tourist area" and have hours stipulated on their license

You say this as a guess or a fact...

As looking at a bar license now, I see no hours of sale marked on it.

Theres no different license for 'a tourist area'.. There are special entertainment zones, these are not all tourist driven, RCA etc is hardly a tourist area.

I think your just making it up as you go along without any fact or experience. Please show a copy of such a license.

Great post. I nearly posted the exact same words when someone queried 12pm.

Nothing can be after or before if it is at the same time.

Sigh!.......

Some parts of it are new !! You can keep denying it, but the removal of bulk supplies in those hours is without question new.

Yes, the bulk buying part of it is a new interpretation. I've never denied that! But the legislation is most certainly not new.

Just to put this one to bed Again, 12pm and 12 am are meaningless but if people insist on using them, which they do, then

12 am would have to be noon and 12pm midnight.

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/info/noon.htm

A.M. and P.M. What is Noon and Midnight?

A.M. and P.M. start immediately after Midnight and Noon (Midday) respectively.

This means that 00:00 A.M. or 00:00 P.M. (or 12:00 A.M. and 12:00 P.M.) have no meaning.

Every day starts precisely at midnight and A.M. starts immediately after that point in time e.g. 00:00:01 A.M. (see also leap seconds)

To avoid confusion timetables, when scheduling around midnight, prefer to use either 23:59 or 00:01 to avoid confusion as to which day is being referred to.

It is after Noon that P.M. starts e.g. 00:00:01 PM (12:00:01)

Just to put this one to bed Again, 12pm and 12 am are meaningless but if people insist on using them, which they do, then

12 am would have to be noon and 12pm midnight.

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/info/noon.htm

A.M. and P.M. What is Noon and Midnight?

A.M. and P.M. start immediately after Midnight and Noon (Midday) respectively.

This means that 00:00 A.M. or 00:00 P.M. (or 12:00 A.M. and 12:00 P.M.) have no meaning.

Every day starts precisely at midnight and A.M. starts immediately after that point in time e.g. 00:00:01 A.M. (see also leap seconds)

To avoid confusion timetables, when scheduling around midnight, prefer to use either 23:59 or 00:01 to avoid confusion as to which day is being referred to.

It is after Noon that P.M. starts e.g. 00:00:01 PM (12:00:01)

Logically yes, but by convention the 12-hour clocks start at 12:00, so it's 12:00am, 12:01am,... ...12:59am, 1:00am...

Maddeningly counter-intuitive but if one insists on am/pm for noon and midnight, then 12am is midnight and 12pm is noon. Cheers.

Will the Thai 'pubs' really stop serving at midnight? Most of their customers only arrive around then. Most likely this will just increase their operating costs a bit but not change their hours after the first month crack down to show whose boss.

Will the Thai 'pubs' really stop serving at midnight? Most of their customers only arrive around then. Most likely this will just increase their operating costs a bit but not change their hours after the first month crack down to show whose boss.

Of course they won't. And if their licence allows them to stay open late they can continue to do so legally.

Of course they won't. And if their licence allows them to stay open late they can continue to do so legally.

No ones license allows them to stay open late.. The police simply dont enforce the law in some parts of the country !!

By law, in Thailand bars (clubs agogos everything) must stop selling alcohol at midnight.. The one exception to this is a handful of designated special entertainment zones, RCA, Cowboy, Etc Etc.. These 'by law' are 1am..

The law is routinely ignored.. And the police routinely take payments to ignore it.. But that doesnt change what the law is or if they wish to apply it as they currently are in chiang mai.

Remember the purachai social order campaign maybe a decade ago ?? Same precise times from back them..

??? So in the afternoon, between 2 PM and 5 PM I can't walk into a 7-11 and buy a bottle of beer?

You've never been able to do this. At mom and pop shops, sure, no problem. But 7-Eleven does not sell alcohol between 2pm and 5pm. I was at the counter at a 7-Eleven with some beer and it was 4.55. The clerk said the register would not allow her to scan and sell it, so I waited 5 minutes.

That has been the situation in chiang mai since the coup.. midnight closure except for a couple of clubs police connected or paying and one bar I can think of..

All the bars, agogos and all the thai pubs and thai side of town is shut down a midnight to 12:30.. There was a bit of extra time over xmas.. but only to 1..

On 4 or 5 visits to udon since the coup it was midnight there also.. Before the coup it was generally 2am.. I suspect theres an element of 'punishment' in applying the rules to red areas while yellow predominant phuket etc left alone.

the short answer is no

under the liquor licensing laws they are "Entertainment venues in a tourist area" and have hours stipulated on their license

Theres no different license for 'a tourist area'.. There are special entertainment zones, these are not all tourist driven, RCA etc is hardly a tourist area.

I think your just making it up as you go along without any fact or experience. Please show a copy of such a license.

Before accusing me of making stuff up , go and Google it,here I will help you, click this link

Does anyone know why alcohol can't be purchased between 2-5pm, what is so significant about those 3 hours?

Perhaps one of our elder Brits could explain it; British pub laws were as restrictive not too many years ago.

Edited by smotherb

Just ban alchohol and Sigarettes all together smile.png

Its clearly not a budhist way of life..

First of all if someone smokes or drinks this does not mean that the vice dominates or defines their "way of life." Besides, not all Thais are Buddhist. In any case Thailan

Well they can close what they want,They can crack down what they want....they can scam us what they want..

At least we can always go somewhere else where we want...:)

A country once called Land of the free, now ruled by new moralistic dinosaurs.

Don't know about Land of the Free or Land of Smiles can now call it Land of Prohibition. Can't you see the average tourist lining up to come here when they can't let their hair down until the early hours. Just another blow to the tourist idustry

Perhaps one of our elder Brits could explain it; British pub laws were as restrictive not too many years ago.
apparently it was an attempt to kerb under age drinking, it only applies to supermarkets and convenience stores, stopping them from selling alcohol when the kids were coming out of school

A country once called Land of the free, now ruled by new moralistic dinosaurs.

Don't know about Land of the Free or Land of Smiles can now call it Land of Prohibition. Can't you see the average tourist lining up to come here when they can't let their hair down until the early hours. Just another blow to the tourist idustry

what is it about this forum that people read a poorly translated news article and think it is accurate? do you all read newspapers in your own countries and think they are an accurate representation of what happened or a sensationalised story to sell advertising ?

Edited by outboard

the short answer is no

Before accusing me of making stuff up , go and Google it,here I will help you, click this link

The link, says nothing to do with what I asked.. Maybe you have a comprehension problem.. I will try it simpler..

You say they "have hours stipulated on their license".. I have looked at one.. Theres no hours on it..

Either 2 things, firstly different areas or classes of establishment have different alcohol sales licenses or 2 your making it up..

So I ask again.. What liquor license has, as you claim, hours of operation on the license ??