Restriction of liquor sale time takes effect today throughout Thailand

webfact

villa at seemed a bit wary but still selling, idiotic rules, just don't sell to kids or drunks!

While Villa may have some responsibility.. The very reason this law was made, when there was already a law for minors is.. This requires Thais t put responsibility over profit. Something not commonly seen.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

villa at seemed a bit wary but still selling, idiotic rules, just don't sell to kids or drunks!

While Villa may have some responsibility.. The very reason this law was made, when there was already a law for minors is.. This requires Thais t put responsibility over profit. Something not commonly seen.

When a company like tops blanks out any pics of beer wine and spirits on their site, but still let you order what has that to do with kids or 'responsibility'? It's like blanking out booze and smoking on the TV and films, more like putting stupidity before responsibility.

When a company like tops blanks out any pics of beer wine and spirits on their site, but still let you order what has that to do with kids or 'responsibility'? It's like blanking out booze and smoking on the TV and films, more like putting stupidity before responsibility.

The responsibility, and the reason initially for not selling in these hours.. was to prevent minors buying alcohol. For which there was already a law.

The mom and pops dont care about the first law.. So they make another law.. Which they also wont care about.

When it comes down to it.. If moneys involved.. They rarely turn down the cash.

Just new in Singapore :

Singapore Parliament passes bill to ban late night public drinking http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/singapore-parliament-passes-bill-ban-late-night-public-drinking

Is this the beginning of the CLOSURE of the many SEX bars? Remember a few months back the big man in Bangkok did a "tour" of the girly bars? And he did not like them?

Instead of CLOSING them, Restrict them to the point of being un - viable.

This is what i see.

Bye bye tourism for Thailand. And BTW this type of tourism for Thailand goes back many hundreds of years.

Thais always had a reputation for Certain HOSPITALITIES.

No. This has nothing whatsoever to do with sex. Why should it?

I agree with both of you. This new regulation has nothing specifically to do with sex. But marcusd is also on to something with regard to tourism. All these new rules are part of an overall initiative to rebrand Thailand. They want foreigners to behave as they would in places like Singapore, not like they've seen in movies like the Hangover 2 or the Beach.

Singapore does not have such bullshit laws.
And you can party until morning.

Update ;

Villa - at least at Sukhumvit 33/1 - is "Service as usual".

I asked the Checkout Girl "can I buy alcohol here at any time of the day as usual?"

Response :

ไม่มีจำกัดเวลา

Plus a big smile.

Patrick

Today at 3.00 pm unable to buy wine at Villa Paradise Park. A few days ago, after the law was passed, no problem at the same branch.

I would not underestimate the capacity of the Thai authorities to actually enforce this regulation if they chose to do so and if this regulation's not just for the sake of "doing something", as written previously.

After all, history has shown that when they really want to stamp out something, they can do so.

The fact that's is not enforced now for most "Mom and Pop" shops around the country doesn't mean that'll always be the case IMHO.

Anyway, contrary to some people here, I think that this will hurt Thais more than farangs if it is actually enforced. The well-know fact that it's a challenge for most Thais to think forward means that based on my own observation of people around me, they start thinking of going to buy their booze right when they're about to party. Not half a day before, not the previous evening.

And (repeating myself here) this might seriously piss them off and in the end seriously harm Prayuth's popularity (well, since they are no elections in sight, that might not be regarded as significant to him...)

The idea that it would also apply to deliveries made to shops reselling goods just does make no sense to me. It's not that hard to differentiate sales made to the final consumers from these, or is it?

They were really enforcing the law at 9.00 am in my local supermarket in Rayong ( a different country as far as I can tell than Thailand!) There were so many people coming out with cases of beer that I couldn't even count them. The problem of bringing out all these new laws you have to enforce them. I've been on minvans without seatbelts only last week, the nightclubs here play music often till 5.00am so loudly that the noise will definitely reach the local police atation, and of course you've all noticed how suddenly all the thais have started wearing helmets on their scooters. As hey say in UK 'all talk and no trousers!'!

The restriction causes binge drinking as I am experiencing now.

OMG binge drinking you do know the definition of binge drinking is "The consumption of 4 standard drinks or more in any one session" standard drink is defined as 10ml of pure alcohol so if you have more then 2 375ml cans of beer or more then 1 glass of wine (they typically fill it up in Thailand so it is 250ml ) you are binge drinking

Edited by outboard

Update ;

I asked the Checkout Girl "can I buy alcohol here at any time of the day as usual?"

Response :

ไม่มีจำกัดเวลา

Plus a big smile.

Patrick

Today at 3.00 pm unable to buy wine at Villa Paradise Park. A few days ago, after the law was passed, no problem at the same branch.

Went to Villa in Ploenchit today at around 4.30 pm. No alcohol sales permitted until 5 pm. Sadly Villa now seem to be falling in line with this tiresome law, although the biggest surprise was that they weren't previously.

OMG binge drinking you do know the definition of binge drinking is "The consumption of 4 standard drinks or more in any one session" standard drink is defined as 10ml of pure alcohol so if you have more then 2 375ml cans of beer or more then 1 glass of wine (they typically fill it up in Thailand so it is 250ml ) you are binge drinking

Not even close. Try Google.

Update ;

Response :

ไม่มีจำกัดเวลา

Plus a big smile.

Patrick

Went to Villa in Ploenchit today at around 4.30 pm. No alcohol sales permitted until 5 pm. Sadly Villa now seem to be falling in line with this tiresome law, although the biggest surprise was that they weren't previously.

Yes, sadly, I was in Villa Sukhumvit 33/1 on Tuesday and there was a sign at the Cashiers Register saying No alcohol sales except 11.00 - 2.00 and after 5.00.

Tops Home Delivery is still delivering as usual however.

Patrick

yeah because a post with specific quantities (10ml) and quote marks around like the main definition would not be researched or anything and people just walk around with a definition of a standard drink just dropping out of their mouths all the time , but they would not have researched it or anything or have the government literature right in front of them when they typed it.

but you response was very good , for a 7 year old, nice variation on classics like "lier lier pants on fire" or "nah ahh"

If the plan behind this is to make Thailand a well functioning example-society for the rest of the world, cheating foreigners should also be limited to 11.00 am – 2.00 pm and from 5.00 pm – 12.00 pm every day.

Edited by Mcffee

yeah because a post with specific quantities (10ml) and quote marks around like the main definition would not be researched or anything and people just walk around with a definition of a standard drink just dropping out of their mouths all the time , but they would not have researched it or anything or have the government literature right in front of them when they typed it.

but you response was very good , for a 7 year old, nice variation on classics like "lier lier pants on fire" or "nah ahh"

Nah-ahh! I did Google "The consumption of 4 standard drinks or more in any one session" including the quotes (which shows results for the exact phrase) and got one (1) result. Your post. In this thread. So there. Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire.

In the UK binge drinking is generally defined as 8 or more standard drinks (6 for women). In the States it's 5/4 standard drinks. But since they define standard drinks differently, it all comes to mean about the same amount (80-90ml pure alcohol for men) consumed rather rapidly (2 hours). Unless you mix and match to come up with your own definition. You can't have your apples and eat your oranges too.

Honestly, Google binge drinking definition and there is many a good read on the subject. Enjoy.

• 4 weeks later...

There is no such time as 12:00 p.m., in which p.m. means post meridiem. In fact, 12:00 noon is the meridiem, while 12:00 midnight is neither ante nor post meridiem, being equidistant from the meridiem either retrospectively or prospectively. If you mean noon, say noon. If you mean midnight, say midnight.

Great post. I nearly posted the exact same words when someone queried 12pm.

Nothing can be after or before if it is at the same time.

Just to put this one to bed Again, 12pm and 12 am are meaningless but if people insist on using them, which they do, then

12 am would have to be noon and 12pm midnight.

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/info/noon.htm

A.M. and P.M. What is Noon and Midnight?

A.M. and P.M. start immediately after Midnight and Noon (Midday) respectively.

This means that 00:00 A.M. or 00:00 P.M. (or 12:00 A.M. and 12:00 P.M.) have no meaning.

Every day starts precisely at midnight and A.M. starts immediately after that point in time e.g. 00:00:01 A.M. (see also leap seconds)

To avoid confusion timetables, when scheduling around midnight, prefer to use either 23:59 or 00:01 to avoid confusion as to which day is being referred to.

It is after Noon that P.M. starts e.g. 00:00:01 PM (12:00:01)

Logically yes, but by convention the 12-hour clocks start at 12:00, so it's 12:00am, 12:01am,... ...12:59am, 1:00am...

Maddeningly counter-intuitive but if one insists on am/pm for noon and midnight, then 12am is midnight and 12pm is noon. Cheers.

A convention invented in the USA, I'm pretty sure, and imposed on the world. In Britain, 12am always meant noon and 12pm always meant midnight, and to me it still does, for logical reasons I can't be bothered to explain right now, since it's well after 12pm.

• 2 weeks later...
There is no such time as 12:00 p.m., in which p.m. means post meridiem. In fact, 12:00 noon is the meridiem, while 12:00 midnight is neither ante nor post meridiem, being equidistant from the meridiem either retrospectively or prospectively. If you mean noon, say noon. If you mean midnight, say midnight.

Great post. I nearly posted the exact same words when someone queried 12pm.

Nothing can be after or before if it is at the same time.

Just to put this one to bed Again, 12pm and 12 am are meaningless but if people insist on using them, which they do, then

12 am would have to be noon and 12pm midnight.

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/info/noon.htmA.M. and P.M. What is Noon and Midnight?

A.M. and P.M. start immediately after Midnight and Noon (Midday) respectively.

This means that 00:00 A.M. or 00:00 P.M. (or 12:00 A.M. and 12:00 P.M.) have no meaning.

Every day starts precisely at midnight and A.M. starts immediately after that point in time e.g. 00:00:01 A.M. (see also leap seconds)

To avoid confusion timetables, when scheduling around midnight, prefer to use either 23:59 or 00:01 to avoid confusion as to which day is being referred to.

It is after Noon that P.M. starts e.g. 00:00:01 PM (12:00:01)

Logically yes, but by convention the 12-hour clocks start at 12:00, so it's 12:00am, 12:01am,... ...12:59am, 1:00am...

Maddeningly counter-intuitive but if one insists on am/pm for noon and midnight, then 12am is midnight and 12pm is noon. Cheers.

A convention invented in the USA, I'm pretty sure, and imposed on the world. In Britain, 12am always meant noon and 12pm always meant midnight, and to me it still does, for logical reasons I can't be bothered to explain right now, since it's well after 12pm.

And all of that makes me realise that telling time the 24 hour way is so much better.

12:00 = noon/midday

00:00 = midnight and the start of a new day.

• 1 month later...

I just went to the Makro store yesterday and planned on buying two cases of beer since it was before 11am. Now they tell me I need a license to buy in the hours besides 11-2 and after 5 pm. I tried to google the news about this type of license but didn't find anything. Presumeably you need to be a licensed retailer to get such a license, but not sure. Has anyone got any more info?

• 8 months later...

As of yesterday there has been a couple of female Gov officials going around the Darkside (lake Mabprachan) informing bars & Resorts of the new rule and putting stickers on fridges stating the new times. I expect a backlash. Lawyers are looking into it as the licences clearly state the hours allowed to serve. What a <deleted> joke as the original law was to curb alcohol from being served to minors out of school!! They won't get served in bars anyway!!cheesy.gif