Transport Ministry evaluating proposed rise in taxi surcharge at Suvarnabhumi

webfact

Head up to the 4th floor....Departures and get taxi there. No problem with knobheads, they all want a return fare into town. Eager to help. Never had a bad one yet as you can choose who you want.

Right up until it gets popular.

Then you'll be dealing with the same problems as those of us who go through the queues.

The first rule of the 4th floor. You don't talk about the 4th floor...

• Like 2

I know I'm beatdeadhorse.gif here, but can you imagine Obama or Cameron addressing such a municipal issue?

If the Godfather-In-Charge this decade wants to address something, his attention should be on far and away more obvious scams. Can somebody say jet ski and Pattaya?

In 17 years of Thailand I've met a few taxi drivers that didn't want my business, but I just say "NEXT!"...kinda like being a lonely single male in Nana Plaza. You won't be lonely for very long.

Unless you are so thick that you need to be watered (I love that British saying), it's not all that damned difficult to find a decent taxi in BKK.

Pretty pathetic that the PM of a country of 70 million or so even has to bring this up

• Like 2

This is the only airport where I am expected to lime up and pay to get a taxi, and I travel to many countries every year. Also, why do they request an increase in the "surcharge" when they are requesting/demanding payment for carrying baggage depending on the size of the bags. Never have to pay that kind of charge either as I travel. Usually, at Suvarnabhumi there are many taxi drivers who continue to refuse a fare because they do not want to use the meter and demand twice the regular price. My solution, upon being faced with such, is to just get another cab and let the other wait it out until he gets what he is after. Unfortunately, there are always more passengers arriving who do not know about the "scam" even though the taxis advertise they are metered. After travelling for up to 24 hours to get to BKK, I do not want to haggle with a person who knows nothing about how we feel when arriving after travelling and who has no idea what the world is really like outside of their own sphere of nothingness. Usually I have no problems with taxi drivers, except at the airport, and many have told me that those who refuse to pickup anybody anywhere are just low life.

I think the shuttle busses should be operating at the airports like in Australia where you get door to door service ...this would shut up the ripoff taxi drivers

every time I have caught a taxi from the airport I have tipped the driver

well that has changed now with all the bullshi......t they have been going on with...they want this whey want that ...the law says they have to use meters but they have their own law and using the meters is not one of theirs

shuttle busses could take upto 20 passengers and would be cheaper than taxi's....drop off points in the BKK CBD and other places on the way would be better than Taxi...shuttle bus service like the BKK van service ...maybe would take a month to work out the routes but would be a better service

Are you telling me you can't get a bus/van/metro to downtown Bkk from it's international airport? I wouldn't know about because i always rent a car but that would be strange.

That's gonna push more people up to Floor 4 Departures looking for a taxi, or to the Airport Link.

Yes that is true..you know the system..Mafa payment of overpirced transport to city center when a trip up to departure taxi await in desperate Taxi driver's hand ways for attraction...once the taxi driver drops off his passenger..I usually await near a pillar to keep from security that keeps taxis moving out after drop off..well here it is...I rush out of building like I forgot my passport..or more believable one I use is... left my wife at hotel and need to get back ASASP...this is said to any security person whom approaches me!... once inside I speak Thai..assuring him he is LUCKY to have me! and give him my hotel address..making sure meter is on..or I know what the price is in the past...dam I give him directions! in Thai..again Thai-ness a way of working in a fare FAIR way..!!! Mr. Ron

To save 50 baht???

Sounds like you burned off 150 baht worth of calories there Mate.

Maybe you like the exercise.

===========================

I think it's stupid to have an airport surcharge for taxis, but they do it in Chicago, Orlando & probably London & Paris & Sydney too. It isn't unique to BKK.

A 50 or 100 baht surcharge is CHEAP compared to Orlando.

I recall 25 years or so ago, I gave it a shot, driving a taxi for ONE DAY in Orlando Florida.

We had to rent the taxi for $65 a day (this was late 1980's) and whatever we got on top of that was profit. Also had to keep log books of everything we did plus buy our own gas.

Like I say, I lasted all of one day.

The guys that were "Allowed" to pick up airport customers had to pay about $100 a day to get that approved route.

Orlando Police would fine any taxi that wasn't approved to pick up airport passengers.

I could drop passengers off there, just not pick them up there.

I worked about 12 hours and netted about $35 bucks.

As I said, I only did that for one day & thought to hell with this!

Any rate around 3 or 400 baht charged is still a bargain compared to most countries.

To the taxi driver: just drive your car in a safe way, shut up and enjoy your job iso hunting for money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have never been cheated by a Bangkok taxi driver. They always used the meter. Sometimes, they take a route I don't know. I check it on a navi app and, usually, learn something they know about certain times and places. Sometimes, I know shortcuts they don't. Always makes them happy.

Leaving a late-night place I walk along the taxi row just saying "meter only" in Thai. The first 4 or 5 will point backwards. I smile, they smile. I always get my meter taxi in no time.

Back home, the meter shows 200 B as you switch it on. It can pay off to ask for "no meter" and negotiate a price well below the metered amount. That is legal.

In some places, U.S. and Europe, trips to the airport are more expensive. Prices can cover the return trip if they are not allowed to pick up customers at the airport.

For me, the Bangkok taxi system has been very cheap and most reliable. There is no general standard in terms of quality. You have to develop an eye for taxis. Some I wave through and pick new ones avoiding bad smells, heat, and mosquitos.

Compared to London, queues for taxis at BKK airport are very short. They are even shorter in Munich. The reason could be that you pay over 2500 B to get to town in a meter taxi.

I assume that TV members being cheated and ripped off all the time by taxis, shops, bar girls and pubs, have something in common. I wonder what that could be. Do they just make up their stories? Do they just copy each other's "bad experiences"? Or, is there something wrong with me? Why are Thais nice to me? What is their hidden agenda?

Edited by CapeCobra
  • Like 1

Funny that they still show up at the airport and queue for hours, if it's not profitable for them.

The standard taxis are pathetic as their boots are already filled up with the highly dangerous looking gas tank and the driver's garbage. Even the large ones often have the gas tank blocking the back, so that you have to heave your luggage over the top of it.

Realistically the standard taxis shouldn't be allow to pick up passengers at the airport at all due to their lack of space to carry luggage. It would be worth paying a B100 surcharge for decent cabs with drivers who don't bitch and moan that you don't want to Pattaya or Hua Hin.

Funny that they still show up at the airport and queue for hours, if it's not profitable for them.

The standard taxis are pathetic as their boots are already filled up with the highly dangerous looking gas tank and the driver's garbage. Even the large ones often have the gas tank blocking the back, so that you have to heave your luggage over the top of it.

Realistically the standard taxis shouldn't be allow to pick up passengers at the airport at all due to their lack of space to carry luggage. It would be worth paying a B100 surcharge for decent cabs with drivers who don't bitch and moan that you don't want to Pattaya or Hua Hin.

Everyone here is so unfair, many I am sure have not been in Thailand very long. Back in the day when there were no metered taxis, the set fee to go to the airport was 200 Baht. That was 20 years ago and more. After the metered cabs were introduced, on the meter, I could get from my place to Don Mueng for 150 Baht. I always gave the driver the usual 200 Baht. To be fair one cannot pay 200 Baht for years and then start paying 150 Baht. The last time I went to the airport (SUV Airport) from Sukumvit 50, the meter was under 300 Baht. I gave the driver 400 Baht. These people need to eat, and the fares now are too low. Don't care how they do this, surcharge or what ever you want to call it, but these guys don't make enough money.

These tourist pay $100 to get to the airport in their country, and then arrive Thailand and want to go into town from our airport for $6 dollars. Now does that seem fair to you?

• Like 1

I think the shuttle busses should be operating at the airports like in Australia where you get door to door service ...this would shut up the ripoff taxi drivers

every time I have caught a taxi from the airport I have tipped the driver

well that has changed now with all the bullshi......t they have been going on with...they want this whey want that ...the law says they have to use meters but they have their own law and using the meters is not one of theirs

shuttle busses could take upto 20 passengers and would be cheaper than taxi's....drop off points in the BKK CBD and other places on the way would be better than Taxi...shuttle bus service like the BKK van service ...maybe would take a month to work out the routes but would be a better service

Have you tried the train on the lower floor?

You can then get your taxi in Bangkok.

Edit: Lower floor of the airport , that is.

Edited by watcharacters

Head up to the 4th floor....Departures and get taxi there. No problem with knobheads, they all want a return fare into town. Eager to help. Never had a bad one yet as you can choose who you want.

Right up until it gets popular.

Then you'll be dealing with the same problems as those of us who go through the queues.

The first rule of the 4th floor. You don't talk about the 4th floor...

Too late. When was the last time you used the 4th floor?

Everyone here is so unfair, many I am sure have not been in Thailand very long. Back in the day when there were no metered taxis, the set fee to go to the airport was 200 Baht. That was 20 years ago and more. After the metered cabs were introduced, on the meter, I could get from my place to Don Mueng for 150 Baht. I always gave the driver the usual 200 Baht. To be fair one cannot pay 200 Baht for years and then start paying 150 Baht. The last time I went to the airport (SUV Airport) from Sukumvit 50, the meter was under 300 Baht. I gave the driver 400 Baht. These people need to eat, and the fares now are too low. Don't care how they do this, surcharge or what ever you want to call it, but these guys don't make enough money.

These tourist pay $100 to get to the airport in their country, and then arrive Thailand and want to go into town from our airport for $6 dollars. Now does that seem fair to you?

Ahh another Apologist.

The average salary in Thailand is 300 Baht per day. But Bangkok Taxi Drivers deserve to get 100 USD per trip because an average salary in New York is 5000 Baht per day.

Feel free to keep tipping 100 Baht per trip. The taxi drivers will take it , but it doesn't seem to stop them complaining.

I assume you are fully in favour of double pricing for foreigners. Please inform the New York Taxi drivers that if they pick up a thai at JFK they should discount his fare to not more than 400 Baht.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I have never understood this 50 THB surcharge system at Suv. Airport.

Why need this ???

Many tourists think it's a scam.

Just a precursor to get people ready...

"Many tourists think it's a scam."

Years back when it was first introduced quite a few taxi drivers tried the following (depending on their ability to communicate with their 'customers'):

- "The form says 50Baht but it's a printing mistake, it should read 500Baht."

- 'The prime minister (Samak) says 50Baht is only for Thai people, for foreigners it's a different rate: 100B, 200B, 500B.......'

I put customers in parenthesis because I doubt that many taxi drivers understand the concept of customer, customer satisfaction etc. Many seem to think that it's all a one way transaction - whatever makes them happy, whatever behaviors and attitudes they want to display, they can (to some extent on an individual basis) makes the rules as they go along ...

Also somewhere in this puzzle is the recent incident with the Japanese man. Just ban all Japanese customers, no recognition whatever that the driver has broken the law.

In fact it seems that this group follow a trait - refuse to recognize that there is such a think as law or regulations of service standards.

Example: no recognition that service has specific points: politeness, use the meter and don't try to cheat customers, delivery to the stated destination, don't use mobile phone, drive safely and not too fast, don't play the radio loudly, help the customer in and out of the taxi where needed, and always help with luggage. There is clearly also no recognition that the customer is paying money and it therefore entitled to expect a suitable level of service.

Many of these guys would yell loudly is they don't receive acceptable service in many aspects of interaction with various vendors, but refuse to apply this to their own work.

Edited by scorecard

Ahh another Apologist.

The average salary in Thailand is 300 Baht per day. But Bangkok Taxi Drivers deserve to get 100 USD per trip because an average salary in New York is 5000 Baht per day.

Feel free to keep tipping 100 Baht per trip. The taxi drivers will take it , but it doesn't seem to stop them complaining.

I assume you are fully in favour of double pricing for foreigners. Please inform the New York Taxi drivers that if they pick up a thai at JFK they should discount his fare to not more than 400 Baht.

I agree with junkyarddog.

You drive a taxi all day in the soul sucking Bangkok traffic, then tell your wife and kids you only made enough for 2 of you to get Happy Meals, and draw straws to see who gets to eat... Maybe the reason they're complaining is because they can no longer make a living under the current state of affairs where their inputs keep getting more expensive, their cost of food and rent and kids' schools, and...and...keep going up, and they can't charge more than they did when a car cost 1/2 as much, their apartment rent was 40% less, and they could get a street meal for 20 baht.

I don't even ask for the meter any more. I hop in, name my price and enjoy knowing that my driver is (very) satisfied and not driving on that last frayed nerve in his body, wondering what kind of argument he's going to get from me at the end of the journey. Never get turned down for a ride, either. Even downtown going to Sukhumvit. And it's still usually less than the meter drop back home.

all possible entry points to the drop-off area have been blocked by rotating iron gates many months ago.

very difficult and kinda dangerous to squeeze through these and almost impossible if you carry biug luggage with you

'Taxi drivers at Suvarnabhumi International Airport have complained to authorities they are not making adequate income ...' Always complaining. One could wonder why they don't look for a proper day job. I should have thought the remedy obvious - don't drive out to the airport unless dropping off passengers. In which case, don't demand extra to make the return trip, which would otherwise cost fuel, with NO profit. If they're really serious about B100, make sure the taxi is up to an acceptable standard, with sufficient space in the boot.

'Taxi drivers at Suvarnabhumi International Airport have complained to authorities they are not making adequate income ...' Always complaining. One could wonder why they don't look for a proper day job. I should have thought the remedy obvious - don't drive out to the airport unless dropping off passengers. In which case, don't demand extra to make the return trip, which would otherwise cost fuel, with NO profit. If they're really serious about B100, make sure the taxi is up to an acceptable standard, with sufficient space in the boot.

Every advancement in the treatment of working folks around the world starts with someone complaining about the way things are.

I'm grateful for all those who griped and moaned (and got their teeth knocked in by management goons) so we have 40 hour weeks, paid holidays, vacation and sick time, and other laws so you and I can live a decent lifestyle in relative comfort and safety.

So I don't begrudge the same right -to complain and even demonstrate- to Thai taxi drivers who just want a reasonable price for the service they provide. Today's price structure isn't reasonable. It may be the law, but it's not reasonable. It hasn't been in quite a while.

According to today's Bangkok Post, 1700 taxi drivers are threatening to go on strike unless the government approves a 100 thb airport surcharge for "big" taxis (five door taxis) and a 30 thb suitcase "handling fee" beginning with the second bag.

The Transport Minister - who flip-flops on just about everything - was quoted as saying this "sounded reasonable."

Edited by Diplomatico