Fat people live longer says health Professor Timothy Olds

ezzra

Sorry Kasset Talk. From what you describe you are now obese. No getting away from it really.

From what he describe no one can tell anything.

he could be very muscular with a small belly or the belly could be huge...

100lbs overweight, fat on the belly, no defined muscle!

100 lbs overweight is just what you want to read, it is not in the posting that way.

no defined muscle and fat on the belly doesn't make you the winner in the Mr. Fitness contest, but doesn't mean you are overweight and even less that you are obese.

If you take a fit bodybuilder and add 10 kg fat he has fat on the belly no defined muscles calculating the BMI it would make him obese but in fact he would have less bodyfat than the average person who is normal weight.

BMI may has some value for looking at a population but it is complete worthless for looking at a single person. Even without training, there is a huge difference if someone is born with the body shape of an African Marathon runner or a Swedish strongman.

"My doctor back home told me I should lose 100lbs' . take this to mean 100 pounds overweight !

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know that I should lose a lot of weight to not be considered obese. Sins I came to Thailand 4 years ago I have gone from American sized portions to eat Thai size portions, I even eat less than many of my Thai friends. And for the last 6 months my alcohol consumption is a total of 2 (yes two) bottles of beer and I have limit my intake of sodas to 1 bottle during the weekends. On that I have some sort of exercise (bicycling (10-40 km everyday), basketball and swimming (a couple of times a week)) everyday for the last 4 years and still I have't lost any weight, I'm on a steady 297 lbs at 6'3.5".

Can you clarify. Are you simply big, athletic?. Or are you classicly fat, ie, fat belly ? BMI is not a big factor.

I know that I should lose a lot of weight to not be considered obese. Sins I came to Thailand 4 years ago I have gone from American sized portions to eat Thai size portions, I even eat less than many of my Thai friends. And for the last 6 months my alcohol consumption is a total of 2 (yes two) bottles of beer and I have limit my intake of sodas to 1 bottle during the weekends. On that I have some sort of exercise (bicycling (10-40 km everyday), basketball and swimming (a couple of times a week)) everyday for the last 4 years and still I have't lost any weight, I'm on a steady 297 lbs at 6'3.5".

Can you clarify. Are you simply big, athletic?. Or are you classicly fat, ie, fat belly ? BMI is not a big factor.

I have a big body and a fat belly.

19" neck

25" shoulder

58" belly

44" hips

29" thigh

19" calf

12" ankles

Size 13 -13.5 in shoes

From what he describe no one can tell anything.

he could be very muscular with a small belly or the belly could be huge...

100lbs overweight, fat on the belly, no defined muscle!

100 lbs overweight is just what you want to read, it is not in the posting that way.

no defined muscle and fat on the belly doesn't make you the winner in the Mr. Fitness contest, but doesn't mean you are overweight and even less that you are obese.

If you take a fit bodybuilder and add 10 kg fat he has fat on the belly no defined muscles calculating the BMI it would make him obese but in fact he would have less bodyfat than the average person who is normal weight.

BMI may has some value for looking at a population but it is complete worthless for looking at a single person. Even without training, there is a huge difference if someone is born with the body shape of an African Marathon runner or a Swedish strongman.

"My doctor back home told me I should lose 100lbs' . take this to mean 100 pounds overweight !

no it does not.....it means that the Doc may looked at the body-weight and height and compared with the recommended BMI. You wouldn't believe how many Docs just do that + give you an antibiotics for your flu....

robblok can probably advise best. It may be you have a slower metabolism so it seems like you are not overeating.

well if you have a "slow metabolism" you overeat even when eating a lot less than others.

19" neck

25" shoulder

58" belly

44" hips

29" thigh

19" calf

12" ankles

Size 13 -13.5 in shoes

anyone who can judge the sizes? I have no real feeling how big that is...But it sounds big....

19" neck

25" shoulder

58" belly

44" hips

29" thigh

19" calf

12" ankles

Size 13 -13.5 in shoes

anyone who can judge the sizes? I have no real feeling how big that is...But it sounds big....

Average height and weight for a NFL defensive end or defensive tackle... but to much belly.

I'm not well trained and as you can see my belly-Waist 58" in comparison to:

Name Country Age Height Weight Neck Waist Thigh Calf

Schwarzenegger, Arnold Austria 20 6-2 245 18 32 27 18½

Mike Tyson 5-11 218 20.5 34 27 19

19" neck

25" shoulder

58" belly

44" hips

29" thigh

19" calf

12" ankles

Size 13 -13.5 in shoes

Average height and weight for a NFL defensive end or defensive tackle... but to much belly.

I'm not well trained and as you can see my belly-Waist 58" in comparison to:

Name Country Age Height Weight Neck Waist Thigh Calf

Schwarzenegger, Arnold Austria 20 6-2 245 18 32 27 18½

Mike Tyson 5-11 218 20.5 34 27 19

well Arnold is a bit lighter as he saves some weight where other people have the brain biggrin.png

• 2 weeks later...

You might try eating whole plant foods & cut out all meat, cheese, milk, eggs, sugar, bakery products, etc. This is one of the youtube.com series that explains the rationale and has links to what to eat. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7ijukNzlUg&list=PLFBF1D066DA5A1525

Whole plants

No meat

no milk products

no eggs

no bakery

that would be good for goats, cows, rabbits but not for humans.

An example of people who eat vegetarian & live to be over 100:

http://www.latimes.com/health/la-he-blue-zone-loma-linda-20150711-story.html#page=1

Where do people eat BBQ, fried chicken, fish with flukes or mercury contamination, doughnuts, cake, cookies, drink Coca Cola/Pepsi and live long time? In your dreams!

No one ever claimed that doughnuts, cake, cookies, Coke is healthy...

• 11 months later...

This article may be of interest to some people:

The Unquestioned Pursuit of Weight Loss Had Us Eating Wrong for Years Our quest for thinness is actually making us far less healthy—even killing us—and not for the reasons you’d think

https://howwegettonext.com/the-unquestioned-pursuit-of-weight-loss-had-us-eating-wrong-for-years-e43a0e60a1#.qrwo411rb

I know that this is an old topic but I just want to add something about myself to it.

I'm considered obese regarding BMI, at one time of my life I was really fit and could show a six-pack but still I was obese according to the BMI.

Today I have belly fat but otherwise no big fat deposits in my face, arms or legs, they are quite normal.

Because I'm obese/overweight I don't do certain things like running and play football BUT I have been riding my bicycle between 10-40 km a day for the last 4 years with basically not loss of weight! Here comes the next but, my blood works are all good; sugar, cholesterol, blood pressure and so on are all on normal levels. My blood pressure was a little high but that was solved with 30 min meditation 3-4 times a week.

So as a conclusion: My doctor back home told me I should lose 100lbs for my BMI, then I went to see a Thai doctor that told me that I didn't need to lose any weight as all my blood works where OK but I should look out and check my sugar from time to time as it's more common among fat people to get diabetes.

BMI is a very poor tool...It is like you would judge the quality of a car by the wide of their tires (which might be even more correct than the BMI).

There are even Docs who told bodybuilder with 3 mm skin on their belly to loose some weight as they are obese blink.png

There is a big difference if you are very muscular person with small belly or a same height person with very little muscle and a thick layer of fat.

Any Doc should know that.

But 100 lbs on the belly?? is a guarantee for back problems......

I just checked a BMI chart. I'm right on the cusp of overweight/obese at about 10% body fat and sporting some ab definition.smile.png - that's about 5 - 7 mm skin on the front of belly.

Two huge new studies further undermine the "obesity paradox"

The "obesity paradox" is the observation that people with higher fat mass sometimes have better health outcomes than lean people, including a lower overall risk of death. Evidence has been steadily mounting that this finding may be a misleading artifact of the methods used to observe it. Two massive new studies add to this evidence.

Two huge new studies further undermine the "obesity paradox"

The "obesity paradox" is the observation that people with higher fat mass sometimes have better health outcomes than lean people, including a lower overall risk of death. Evidence has been steadily mounting that this finding may be a misleading artifact of the methods used to observe it. Two massive new studies add to this evidence.

There is a prominent Thaivisa member who will not like this news. cheesy.gif

Good to see there is some research done and excuses are again obliterated by facts.

• 1 month later...

I'd say your parents and grandparents are the best indicator for what chance you have to have a long life.

There could be a thread on height too as a marker as some believe if you are taller you live longer and vice versa.

If you go back to ancient times, my guess is thinner people died younger but that was in a world of all thinner people.

On 17-8-2016 at 2:31 PM, Alive said:

Well, if you all stay members of TV until death, we will know the truth about weight and long life. :)

Good one.. but how do you know someone has died.. maybe he has just stopped using Thaivisa :D

Archived