Tottenham Thread

chonabot

Ledley to miss our pre season....he's having another knee op!! Redknapp releases Woodgate (who was finally fit :rolleyes: ) and puts the very talented Simon Caulker out on loan for a year. I have a feeling he's also loaned out the South African aswell.

STOP PRESS Tottenham have injury crisis at center back after a couple of months but its nothing to do with Redknapp and if we think it is were idiots. :whistling: Ofcourse, if he was to sign Cahill i'd stand corrected but, then again i might even win lotto next week.

Talk of bringing in Samba with Bassong going the other way still would leave us short there. Its the usual nonsense anyway so I'll just shut up for now.

Ledley to miss our pre season....he's having another knee op!! Redknapp releases Woodgate (who was finally fit :rolleyes: ) and puts the very talented Simon Caulker out on loan for a year. I have a feeling he's also loaned out the South African aswell.

STOP PRESS Tottenham have injury crisis at center back after a couple of months but its nothing to do with Redknapp and if we think it is were idiots. :whistling: Ofcourse, if he was to sign Cahill i'd stand corrected but, then again i might even win lotto next week.

Talk of bringing in Samba with Bassong going the other way still would leave us short there. Its the usual nonsense anyway so I'll just shut up for now.

I'd like that deal pending on the cash sweetner. Samba is a much more commanding center back. Bassong always makes me nervous and can't cut it in the big games.

I see Sandro's back from Copa America for surgery and is likely to miss the opener against Everton.

I'd like that deal pending on the cash sweetner. Samba is a much more commanding center back. Bassong always makes me nervous and can't cut it in the big games.

I see Sandro's back from Copa America for surgery and is likely to miss the opener against Everton.

Uf I were Moyes I'd be getting up each day...checking the news and crossing off each day on my calendar smiling.."They still huvnae bought a striker yet...."

To be fair mate i can't even be bothered to answer some of your drivel, the comment that sums up your post's is when you mentioned Paul Stewart's 32 appearences as making him a total success at Liverpool :o

Footnote : after my info from wikipedia, no mention of Teddy then :D

The drivel that you refer to so eloquently is on your head, my friend, not mine.

By your reckoning, in order for an ex Spurs player to achieve total success after leaving the under performing, medal-moribund White Hart Lane faithful, they need to get at least 6 Premier League winners medals, 3 Champions League medals, several FA cup winners medals be voted player of the year at least 3 times and enjoy a blameless, well-adjusted personal life. Anything less than this then they should never have left the Tottenham fold and they have spent the rest of their careers regretting being ‘Judases’ to the Spurs cause.

OK, I admit that I may have been off the mark in including Stewart in my list, but he was beset by injuries and I doubt he would done any better had he stayed at Spurs. Maybe by his standards, he achieved as much success as he could reasonably expect, given his injury problems and subsequent loss of form, remaining as a professional footballer for a further 8 years, including spells at Liverpool, Crystal Palace, Wolves, Burnley, Sunderland and Stoke City.

But there are plenty of other players in my list to demonstrate the worthlessness of your contention, including two of the players quoted by you as allegedly not achieving total success, despite winning medals galore and captaining their country. Just by picking out one name, Stewart, and using it to call my post ‘drivel’, only goes to show the delinquency of your thought process.

If there is one thing that depresses me even more than Spurs lack of success over the years, it is the prejudiced, ignorant views and behaviour of so many of their supporters.

Response to footnote:

As you are so keen to quote from Wikipedia, how about this then:

...at the age of 33 he had finally won a major trophy. A week later he scored one of United's two goals in the FA Cup final to yield his second honour. Four days after the FA Cup triumph, Sheringham scored a dramatic stoppage-time equaliser against Bayern Munich in the Champions League final, having come on as a substitute earlier in the game. With seconds of stoppage-time remaining, Ole Gunnar Solskjær scored from Sheringham's headed flick-on, and United won a treble of the Premiership, FA Cup and European Cup with Sheringham – having not won a major honour in his 15 year career on leaving Spurs – now having won every top-level trophy in the club game.

In 2000–01, Sheringham played some of the best football of his career as he was United's top goalscorer, displacing Dwight Yorke as the preferred first-team player, as well as being voted Player of the Year by both the PFA and FWA. His fine form ensured that he was still involved with the national side despite being in his 35th year, being named in the squad for the 2002 World Cup.He still maintains a legendary status with the Old Trafford faithful, appearing as a special half-time guest at Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's testimonial match.

Are you still sure that he didn't achieve total success, and that he would have been better off staying put????

Instead of castigating all those wonderful Spurs players who had the dastardly effrontery to leave to club to seek honours elsewhere, maybe we should consider all those high priced players who have been bought by Tottenham and have turned out to be disasters.

In recent years, Spurs has been on a more or less even playing field with the likes of Arsenal as far as available transfer funds are concerned, but we haven't exactly covered ourselves in glory with our choice of players to buy. Admittedly few good ones, but far too many high priced duds.

If we had been a bit more canny on the transfer side, we could have well been challenging for premier league honours over the years.

Instead of castigating all those wonderful Spurs players who had the dastardly effrontery to leave to club to seek honours elsewhere, maybe we should consider all those high priced players who have been bought by Tottenham and have turned out to be disasters.

In recent years, Spurs has been on a more or less even playing field with the likes of Arsenal as far as available transfer funds are concerned, but we haven't exactly covered ourselves in glory with our choice of players to buy. Admittedly few good ones, but far too many high priced duds.

If we had been a bit more canny on the transfer side, we could have well been challenging for premier league honours over the years.

The exception to all this is Campbell. Please don't include this individual in your arguements. The business partnership of Gampbell/Sky Andrew stands out as shining light on everything that is wrong with the conduct of players and agents in modern day football.

Theres really no need to carry on about his lies, deceipt and total disloyalty. I shudder to think what Bill Nich and Blanchflower would have thought of the behaviour of that scumbag that came through the Tottenham ranks as a boy.

The exception to all this is Campbell. Please don't include this individual in your arguements. The business partnership of Gampbell/Sky Andrew stands out as shining light on everything that is wrong with the conduct of players and agents in modern day football.

Theres really no need to carry on about his lies, deceipt and total disloyalty. I shudder to think what Bill Nich and Blanchflower would have thought of the behaviour of that scumbag that came through the Tottenham ranks as a boy.

A prototype for all the scumbags to follow....yeah we all remember him that summer silttng on a fkin yacht off the south of France grinning like his ugly fkin face off. No loyalty whatsoever the doublecrossing c**t.

I totally agree and I was as upset as all other Spurs supporters.

But whatever we may think of him as a person, to say he didn't go onto achieve total success, because he had a few problems with depression is just putting your head in the sand. It doesn't make it any easier to bare, but the facts are the facts.

Maybe its time to close this debate and move on :unsure:

£35-40m for Modric? haha you got to be joking! he is just worth £25m at the very most, we should pay £28m and throw in Mikel just to smooth things over and let Levy think he has got a good deal!

What the <deleted> are you on dude? :whistling:

As for Mikel, theres absolutely no chance of that bufoon evening getting a look in in our midfield....but then again, i think you know that ;)

CHELSEA. A SMALL TEAM, BUYING SUCCESS.

Take no notice of Seapoke carms, he's just pulling ya plonker :D Torres was 50m, Ramires 22m, Henderson 20m, even he knows that makes Modric worth 35-40m 3.gif .

I don't think he even knows how to find the stadium for their game in Bangkok.

Ever been to Stamford Bridge Alfredo? Right bunch of retards. :)

Don't you worry about me mate, thats all sorted regarding getting to the stadium, the missus was thinking of some other arena.....Rajamangala here I come! :D

£35-40m for Modric? haha you got to be joking! he is just worth £25m at the very most, we should pay £28m and throw in Mikel just to smooth things over and let Levy think he has got a good deal!

What the <deleted> are you on dude? :whistling:

As for Mikel, theres absolutely no chance of that bufoon evening getting a look in in our midfield....but then again, i think you know that ;)

CHELSEA. A SMALL TEAM, BUYING SUCCESS.

Take no notice of Seapoke carms, he's just pulling ya plonker :D Torres was 50m, Ramires 22m, Henderson 20m, even he knows that makes Modric worth 35-40m 3.gif .

yes carmine, take no notice alfie knows best. whistling.gif

who is to say that Chelsea are even thinking about starting him in the first team on a regular basis ! rolleyes.gif

maybe at lowly mid table club like spurs, but definitely not the case at a club like Chelski who think they can buy their way into the halls of fame when it comes to honours !

more like a bit part player that comes on in injury time at <deleted> hole lane and scores the winner after the scum from S. London only paid half the asking price. wink.gif

oh the irony. laugh.gif

Edited by tigerfish

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/modric-hands-in-transfer-request-to-force-move-2313116.html?

So now we enter the endgame of this nonsense. If Chelsea don't pay top dollar they won't get Modric...its as simple as that. This has as much to do with the agent pocketing a fortune as anything else.

Its all down to whether anyone is willing to pay £40m+ for him.

If they are then I hope they do it quickly or just bugger off. Levy should name a high price ...say pay it or no deal and set a deadline early next week. wink.gif

http://www.independe...e-2313116.html?

So now we enter the endgame of this nonsense. If Chelsea don't pay top dollar they won't get Modric...its as simple as that. This has as much to do with the agent pocketing a fortune as anything else.

If they are then I hope they do it quickly or just bugger off. Levy should name a high price ...say pay it or no deal and set a deadline early next week. wink.gif

is 'the agent' just a euphemism for 'harry redknapp'?

i think 30m approx will do it. player wants out, once he puts in a transfer request it'll speed up.

i think 30m approx will do it. player wants out, once he puts in a transfer request it'll speed up.

Nothing will happen unless they pay the money. Levy won't let him go for under £40m. The lad has 5 years left on his contract and is virtually irreplaceable to us Sure we can move on but more money will soften the blow.

At £30m its just not good value for Tottenham.

Do you Stevie? 30m! I'd be gobsmacked if he accepted that. Baring in mind the strong stance he's made the fans will be expecting him to secure an aweful lot more than that, and he would look an absolute <deleted> at WHL. He has time on his side and should make the greedy little shit sweat. Chelsea can pay up or go <deleted> themselves.

I for one am happy with this stance as is a very last element of our fanbase and i hope he bleeds Chelsea for every ruble.

Do you Stevie? 30m! I'd be gobsmacked if he accepted that. Baring in mind the strong stance he's made the fans will be expecting him to secure an aweful lot more than that, and he would look an absolute <deleted> at WHL. He has time on his side and should make the greedy little shit sweat. Chelsea can pay up or go <deleted> themselves.

I for one am happy with this stance as is a very last element of our fanbase and i hope he bleeds Chelsea for every ruble.

oh i'm not being critical or anything carmine - i think levy does a pretty good job in getting decent money for spurs players when they move on. certainly did with berbatov and keane for example. i don't see it getting up to 40m though - modric isn't worth that and chelsea won't go that high.

do you think that modric is greedy in this instance? i know it's difficult when it's one of your own - i was the same with torres i suppose - but until last summer when he signed the new deal modric was only on 17k a week. a champions league club comes calling and offers him about treble his wages - isn't it understandable that players simply get their heads turned and want to advance their careers?

oh i'm not being critical or anything carmine - i think levy does a pretty good job in getting decent money for spurs players when they move on. certainly did with berbatov and keane for example. i don't see it getting up to 40m though - modric isn't worth that and chelsea won't go that high.

do you think that modric is greedy in this instance? i know it's difficult when it's one of your own - i was the same with torres i suppose - but until last summer when he signed the new deal modric was only on 17k a week. a champions league club comes calling and offers him about treble his wages - isn't it understandable that players simply get their heads turned and want to advance their careers?

Firstly, lets get the cash out of the way. I'm looking for about the 37m mark sounds nice. That would justify Levy and Chelsea could say they got their man without go all "Torres" again. That was mental as we all know!

I'm rather split over Modric. We were the club that had faith in him and paid top dollar at 16.5m from Zagreb at a time when dwarfs were'nt the rage in the premierleague. He's also one year into a six.

On the other hand i think Levy has been tight, short sighted and naive with his wage. I can also understand that he wants CL football which he deserves after serving Spurs very well.

What really urks me is the way he's handled this. he was highly respected by the fans and personally i feel he has let himself down. He statements to the press three weeks ago were i feel largely responsible for Levys public no sale statement.

Its basically just another part of an aspect about current day football i despise.

Comparison with a striker who's baely scored in 18 months and is injury prone yet valued at £50m? Chelsea if they want Modric...who isfully fit...at the top of his game and has 5 years on a contract.

Above all we don't want to sell him...which is in contrast to Dalglish's vision for Liverpool I reckon.

Its not a question of what Chelsea are willing to pay...its his value to Tottenham that matters. As for a transfer request..that's all it is at the end of the day. Same as Tevez.

Firstly, lets get the cash out of the way. I'm looking for about the 37m mark sounds nice. That would justify Levy and Chelsea could say they got their man without go all "Torres" again. That was mental as we all know!

I'm rather split over Modric. We were the club that had faith in him and paid top dollar at 16.5m from Zagreb at a time when dwarfs were'nt the rage in the premierleague. He's also one year into a six.

On the other hand i think Levy has been tight, short sighted and naive with his wage. I can also understand that he wants CL football which he deserves after serving Spurs very well.

What really urks me is the way he's handled this. he was highly respected by the fans and personally i feel he has let himself down. He statements to the press three weeks ago were i feel largely responsible for Levys public no sale statement.

Its basically just another part of an aspect about current day football i despise.

37m? more than someone like sneijder is going for? hmm.

didn't realise you'd paid that much for him actually, thought it was about 10m or so. . . .part of me has become more pragmatic about players leaving clubs now, cf torres again. essentially they're all <deleted> with no loyalty to anyone other than themselves and their bank accounts. once you get used to that it gets easier. ;)

Comparison with a striker who's baely scored in 18 months and is injury prone yet valued at £50m? Chelsea if they want Modric...who isfully fit...at the top of his game and has 5 years on a contract.

Above all we don't want to sell him...which is in contrast to Dalglish's vision for Liverpool I reckon.

Its not a question of what Chelsea are willing to pay...its his value to Tottenham that matters. As for a transfer request..that's all it is at the end of the day. Same as Tevez.

torres was/is a world champion and a world star. also a massive merchandise shifter. none of which apply to modric.

dalglish's 'vision' for liverpool? not sure what you mean by that but i think you've got the wrong end of the stick. we immediately replaced torres with two players. you likely to do that with modric?

How much did you buy him for? rolleyes.gif

I think 30 m is a fair price for him at the moment

Oh come on! What we bought him for is totally irrelevent and you know it. BTW, please explain to me what exactly is fair about the football transfer market?

37m? more than someone like sneijder is going for? hmm.

didn't realise you'd paid that much for him actually, thought it was about 10m or so. . . .part of me has become more pragmatic about players leaving clubs now, cf torres again. essentially they're all <deleted> with no loyalty to anyone other than themselves and their bank accounts. once you get used to that it gets easier. ;)

torres was/is a world champion and a world star. also a massive merchandise shifter. none of which apply to modric.

dalglish's 'vision' for liverpool? not sure what you mean by that but i think you've got the wrong end of the stick. we immediately replaced torres with two players. you likely to do that with modric?

I know what you mean about Sneijder and i agree but you have to remember that Chelsea are going to have to help Levy save face.

Come on mate, i can't believe you overlooked that aspect of the deal..... living here an all!!

I know what you mean about Sneijder and i agree but you have to remember that Chelsea are going to have to help Levy save face.

Come on mate, i can't believe you overlooked that aspect of the deal..... living here an all!!

heh. think it's less about saving levy's face than it is about ensuring harry gets a big enough slice isn't it? ;)

are you lot still trying to shift pavlyuchenko, defoe and keane as well this summer?

Carmine... fair is what the club paid for him and has got out of him in the years he has been their and what they get for him when he decides to leave you!

You have to keep a sense of realism about this old boy....hence 30 million is double bubble what you paid for him and lets be honest here ....he is a good player creative midfielder but does not score too many goals,he is not a great player.

What you bought him for and his wages have got a lot to do with it from Levy's point of view.

If you look at what United have paid for our new players,i think you can see the level of experience Ferguson has in the transfer market and why he pulls out if a player is not wanting to play for the club,all aspects are included in a fair deal between the clubs the player and of course the agents.

Berbatov was a lot of money but he proved his worth this season alone and if we got 10-15 million for him now then that would be a fair deal in my red eyes.biggrin.gif

heh. think it's less about saving levy's face than it is about ensuring harry gets a big enough slice isn't it? ;)

are you lot still trying to shift pavlyuchenko, defoe and keane as well this summer?

We are. Hopefully decent money for Pav, who knows what Defoe will get and a bag of chips for Keane.

Our main difficulties at the moment lie in the sale of Modric and the possibility of Sandro out for three months. This is so disappointing. As you saw at Anfield we look at our best with Sandro sitting infront of our relatively slow turning center backs, clearing up, giving them that little extra time and Modric then driving the midfield. His feeds to Bale lennon and VDV created loads of chances for someone that knows where the net is. Sandro's absense makes the potentially lucrative sale of Palacios a temporary no no and has our striker focus split with us looking for a Modric replacement. It will make Huddlestone even more important.

If we offloaded two strikers i'd prefer Keane and Defoe to go but theres not much cash there. Not sealing the Leandro Damiao signature was a mistake that we might live to regret and i'm still seething about Suarez but that Tottenham in the transfer market as it were.

I'm still optimistic for next season but the next four weeks is absolutely crucial and alot of buy/sell/buy/sell has to come together at the right time.

I've edited to add that when Modric goes it might well negate the sale of Kranjcar who naturally prefers coming in from the left hand side. Possibilities then arise where Bale might drop back to left back, a position i personally think he'll be more effective.

Edited by carmine

Carmine... fair is what the club paid for him and has got out of him in the years he has been their and what they get for him when he decides to leave you!

You have to keep a sense of realism about this old boy....hence 30 million is double bubble what you paid for him and lets be honest here ....he is a good player creative midfielder but does not score too many goals,he is not a great player.

What you bought him for and his wages have got a lot to do with it from Levy's point of view.

If you look at what United have paid for our new players,i think you can see the level of experience Ferguson has in the transfer market and why he pulls out if a player is not wanting to play for the club,all aspects are included in a fair deal between the clubs the player and of course the agents.

Berbatov was a lot of money but he proved his worth this season alone and if we got 10-15 million for him now then that would be a fair deal in my red eyes.biggrin.gif

Where do you buy your mushrooms from mate?

....he is a good player creative midfielder but does not score too many goals,he is not a great player.

We all know he is a very good player indeed.

He attempted the 4th most passes of any player in the Premiership.

He had a completion rate of 86% which was the second highest completion rate of any player after Michael Essien.

And he ranked in the top 10 for 'key passes' - those that led to scoring opportunities (so he wasnt just passing it around to his nearest player.)

Ranked 5th for most successful passes in the final third of the pitch.

So in terms of being a creative midfielder he must rank up there somewhere around the best in the Premiership.

Anyway absolutely no way Levy will take 30m (especially if Man U dont buy Sneijder). He should probably take 35m to end the matter. But it wouldnt surprise me if he turned down 35m just out of the principle of it.

....he is a good player creative midfielder but does not score too many goals,he is not a great player.

We all know he is a very good player indeed.

He attempted the 4th most passes of any player in the Premiership.

He had a completion rate of 86% which was the second highest completion rate of any player after Michael Essien.

And he ranked in the top 10 for 'key passes' - those that led to scoring opportunities (so he wasnt just passing it around to his nearest player.)

Ranked 5th for most successful passes in the final third of the pitch.

So in terms of being a creative midfielder he must rank up there somewhere around the best in the Premiership.

Anyway absolutely no way Levy will take 30m (especially if Man U dont buy Sneijder). He should probably take 35m to end the matter. But it wouldnt surprise me if he turned down 35m just out of the principle of it.

Over to you MrRed........:D