Tottenham Thread

chonabot

Tottenham 4-0 West Ham

By Saj Chowdhury

Berbatov's double effectively put the game beyond West Ham

Two first-half goals from Dimitar Berbatov helped ease Spurs to victory over 10-man West Ham.

Both of Berbatov's goals came in the first 10 minutes and both were headers from Tom Huddlestone free-kicks.

Things took a turn for the worse for the visitors when Luis Boa Morte was shown a second yellow card for a late challenge on Aaron Lennon.

Substitute Gilberto drilled in the third before Darren Bent made it 4-0 with a header from Alan Hutton's cross.

The result could have been very different had West Ham taken advantage of another piece of ungainly goalkeeping from Paul Robinson in the fifth minute.

The England shot-stopper could only parry Freddie Ljungberg's 25-yard effort, although he was alert enough to prevent Dean Ashton from pouncing on the loose ball.

Robinson also dived at the feet of Boa Morte before Bobby Zamora's shot was deflected over towards the end of a mad scramble.

606: DEBATE

What did you think of the result?

Just three minutes later, Spurs opened the scoring when Huddlestone, in the team for the injured Jermaine Jenas, delivered a cracking ball from the right for Berbatov to score past Robert Green.

And shortly after the restart, talisman Berbatov grabbed his and his side's second when he bulleted in another Huddlestone free-kick, this time from the left.

Huddlestone came close to scoring himself but headed over Lennon's dinked cross from the right while the marauding Steed Malbranque drilled a shot four yards wide after a typical surge to the edge of the area.

As Tottenham pressed forward, Alan Curbishley's side became increasingly frustrated.

Boa Morte makes his way off the pitch after seeing red

That frustration led to niggly fouls, one of them resulting in a red card for Boa Morte.

The Portuguese player was shown a second yellow after a late tackle on Lennon after already being booked for a foul on Huddlestone.

That was essentially game over for the Hammers.

Spurs became more lax after the break but could afford to given their opponents' lack of fight.

Ashton had a half-chance deflected over from six yards midway through the second half before he was replaced by Carlton Cole.

But the home side landed a knockout combination in the final few minutes thanks to substitutes Gilberto and Bent.

First, Gilberto made amends for his mistake against PSV in midweek by finding Green's left-hand corner after Lennon dummied Pascal Chimbonda's pass.

Then Bent headed in Hutton's cross from the right to make the scoreline emphatic.

Reports in Sunday's papers suggested that Curbishley could find himself out of a job in the summer. This result will not have helped to quell the rumours.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spurs first-team coach Gus Poyet:

"We were looking for reaction from the players and we got that reaction.

He added: "The early goals from Dimitar Berbatov helped our team as did the sending off of Luis Boa Morte.

"Boa Morte was making too many fouls and that's why he was sent off. But with 10 men they did make it hard."

I guess the Carling Cup parade went a little bit wrong then last night Gents ?? :D

COME ON YOU IRONS.. :D

I'd rather shit on them....

All together now lads......

He's only a poor little hammer................... :o

Edited by chonabot

Fantastic night for Spurs, what a great story it was.....after a shaky start to first 5 minutes and WHU not converting a great opportunity to go up 1-0, it was Berbatov, the Iceman, scoring seconds later out of clear blue sky with a beautiful header and Spurs were up 1-0. This was beginning of end for WHU, which did itself not any favors by keeping Boa Morte more then 43minutes in game, as he was sent off seconds later....Gilberto, made up for his error against PSV, with a fantastic left footer in 85th minute, before Bent in 93rd, was putting icing on cake...4 - nothing it was Spurs!!

Berbatov, Lennon, Hutton (why did he change his shirt from 28 to no. 50 in middle of game?) Huddlestone, all brilliant. This should give enough confidence for Wednesdays game at PSV, then ManC next Sunday and on top of everything, its Chelsea at WHL on 19th March, can't wait watching CC replay!! :o

Hard luck last night boys. Thought you'd done it when you went ahead but with the size of Gomez, he always looked like he'd eventually get his fingers to at least one.

The english penalty shootout curse strikes again :o .

Unlucky Spurs ............. ( though I'm well happy the blue sh#te got beat :D ).

Hard luck last night boys. Thought you'd done it when you went ahead but with the size of Gomez, he always looked like he'd eventually get his fingers to at least one.

The english penalty shootout curse strikes again :D .

Unlucky Spurs ............. ( though I'm well happy the blue sh#te got beat :D ).

Yeah, unlucky Spuds, my heart bleeds.. :o

The english penalty shootout curse strikes again :D .

Yeah, unlucky Spuds, my heart bleeds.. :D

Thanks Fella !

:o

Right , lets get this thread back on track!

Tottenham 2-0 Portsmouth

By Ian Hughes

Substitute Darren Bent made a major impact when he came on

Darren Bent came off the bench to inspire Tottenham to victory, scoring the 100th goal at White Hart Lane this season before setting up another.

Portsmouth's Sean Davis almost scored against his old club in the first half with a superb chip, while Michael Dawson hit the bar with a volley.

Pascal Chimbonda and Tom Huddlestone also went close with volleyed efforts.

But on 80 minutes, Bent nodded in Dimitar Berbatov's scuffed shot and then set up Jamie O'Hara for a tap-in.

Interview: Tottenham first-team coach Gus Poyet

Interview: Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp

Interview: Tottenham striker Darren Bent

On Easter weekend it was fitting that almost biblical, freakish hail and snow lashed down as the crowd settled in, anticipating a flood of goals.

And with an average of 3.63 goals in every Spurs game this season, the odds were short on this fixture providing more.

But for all Spurs' tidy possession in the first half, they could not manage to edge ahead - although they did come very close.

Dawson's 30th-minute volley was hit with such ferocity that it rebounded off the bar back to the edge of the area.

The hosts saw two other volleys go close, first from Chimbonda, whose low effort flew just wide of the post, and later Huddlestone drove an effort just over.

606: DEBATE

This was the sort of performance we want from Bent and hope it continues consistently

tottylover01

However, Spurs might have conceded the first goal had Paul Robinson not been able to scramble back to his line and tip over Spurs old boy Davis's sublime 25-yard chip.

That was a rare threat from the visitors, who set themselves up with a solid bank of five midfielders and seemed content to play for a draw.

Had striker Jermain Defoe been available - red tape following his deadline day move from Spurs to Pompey denied him - perhaps Pompey may have played with greater adventure.

But Pompey keeper David James would have been pleased by his side's defensive efforts.

The England keeper would also have been relieved that, early on, he managed to clear the ball to stop Keane stealing in after he had cheekily crept up from behind the goal-line.

After the break, the game remained open - and continued to be played out in alternate spells of sunshine and snow.

But if the weather was unpredictable, sadly the football was not as Pompey were able to read Spurs' attacking intentions and nullify them with relative ease.

It sparked a change from Spurs and, on 70 minutes, Bent and Jamie O'Hara replaced Dawson and a below-par Aaron Lennon.

But it was Portsmouth who almost made the breakthrough when Glen Johnson 's long pass released Kanu but the Nigerian headed weakly past Robinson, allowing Didier Zokora to clear. However, Bent then took the game by the scruff of the neck and settled matters in the space of two minutes.

First, Spurs' record signing nodded in from six yards after Berbatov's miss-hit shot bounced up invitingly.

And then two minutes later, Bent's trickery on the left flank gave him room to cut in and deliver a low cross which O'Hara slotted into an empty net.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tottenham coach Gus Poyet:

"Darren Bent opened Portsmouth up when he came on.

"He would like to be starting games and scoring goals but he made a big impact and that shows the importance of substitutes.

"It was a difficult game and we had to be patient, concentrate and know that sooner or later we would get our chance."

Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp:

"For 80 minutes we were right in there and I felt we'd taken the best that Tottenham could throw at us.

"I was thinking it was going to be a great point for us after making six enforced changes.

"Tottenham is not an easy place to go to after making changes like that, and I thought we were fantastic. The lads who came in did a good job and worked hard."

Tottenham: Robinson, Hutton, Dawson (Bent 70), Woodgate, Chimbonda, Lennon (O'Hara 70), Zokora, Huddlestone, Malbranque, Berbatov, Keane (Tainio 83).

Subs Not Used: Cerny, Kaboul.

Goals: Bent 80, O'Hara 82.

Portsmouth: James, Johnson, Distin, Hreidarsson, Aubey, Utaka, Pedro Mendes, Davis, Hughes (Mvuemba 90), Kranjcar, Kanu (Baros 83).

Subs Not Used: Ashdown, Nugent, Wilson.

Booked: Utaka.

Att: 35,998

Ref: Phil Dowd (Staffordshire).

BBC Sport Player Rater man of the match: Tottenham's Tom Huddlestone 7.45 (on 90 minutes).

• 5 weeks later...
Well , as a few other lesser teams have their thread , why not ?

My prediction for today, at the Reebok stadium is 1 - 1.

Spurs have had a very good pre-season run, hoping new striker Berbatov will have a good start to his prem career.

Mini match report to follow.

whos gonna stay and whos gonna go ???

• 3 months later...

Nothing from Spurs fans for a while so allow me........

Can't say I like what is going on down the Lane one bloody bit. We knew last season that Berbatov would go but losing Keane as well will be a huge blow and with nobody to step in it requires players to be bought and surely the Spanish matey with the reigns is leaving it late with pre-season already up and running? Also I don't see any moves to shore up one of the lousiest defenses in the league nor is that horrible bugger of a midfield general we so badly need onboard 3 weeks before the big day but the biggest disappointment to me is with all the players rumoured to be up for transfer I havn't seen a mention of Zokora anywhere. That lad is an absolute liability and never Premiership material and would love to see him transferred out.

I'll take Spurs to finish no better than 8th unless Ramos has a master plan that is about to be unleashed but reality may be more of adding bits and pieces to a jigsaw that will not be complete this season. Sad.

Nothing from Spurs fans for a while so allow me........

Can't say I like what is going on down the Lane one bloody bit. We knew last season that Berbatov would go but losing Keane as well will be a huge blow and with nobody to step in it requires players to be bought and surely the Spanish matey with the reigns is leaving it late with pre-season already up and running? Also I don't see any moves to shore up one of the lousiest defenses in the league nor is that horrible bugger of a midfield general we so badly need onboard 3 weeks before the big day but the biggest disappointment to me is with all the players rumoured to be up for transfer I havn't seen a mention of Zokora anywhere. That lad is an absolute liability and never Premiership material and would love to see him transferred out.

I'll take Spurs to finish no better than 8th unless Ramos has a master plan that is about to be unleashed but reality may be more of adding bits and pieces to a jigsaw that will not be complete this season. Sad.

Hmm... Keene is gone, how long before Berbatov follows?

Where's the replacements? Not looking too good is it?

I was a supporter of Ramos and had great hopes that the glory days may at long last be returning, but ever since we won the league cup we have been back pedalling.

I hope I'm wrong :o

From today's BBC Sport:

TRANSFER RUMOURS

Tottenham will splash out £36m to bring Blackburn's David Bentley and Andrei Arshavin from Zenit St Petersburg to White Hart Lane.

But Arshavin is a winger, and Bentley is midfield.

Who have they lined up to replace Keane, and the striker they sold Portsmouth (his names escapes me) and probably Berbatov as well?

Hmm... Keene is gone, how long before Berbatov follows?

Quite. Which makes one wonder why all the fuss that other teams were sniffing around these players. I mean, if they intended to sell them all along, why complain?

Edited by rixalex

I think it is wonderful that the yids are selling there best players.they will never break into top 4 mind you a bit unlucky the other season but blamed the Chef at some dive they booked there stars into. :o

From Todays' Daily Telegraph:

Spurs fans should avert their eyes from today's back pages this morning as Robbie Keane gets stuck into his new life at Anfield.

Pictured hand-in-hand with his new strike partner at Liverpool, Fernando Torres, the couple's beaming smiles will merely rub salt into the wound as Tottenham supporters get to grips with losing one of their brightest stars.

In times like these there's only one thing for it. A touch of retail therapy and the club are not going to waste time mourning Keane's departure.

David Bentley and Andrei Arshavin are top of Spurs' radar and the Mirror says that a £36 million bid for the duo will be launched in the next 24 hours.

Winger Bentley will sort out the terms of his £50,000-a-week deal today while Arshavin will leave Zenit St Petersburg for north London for a fee in the region of £19m, subject to a work permit, add the paper.

It's easy to forget that Spurs pulled off one of this summer's transfer coups with the capture of Luka Modric back in May.

The Croatian international isn't too concerned to see Keane pack his bags for Liverpool and has hinted that the club are unlikely to miss Dimitar Berbatov too should the Bulgarian follow suit.

"This team has a great ambition regardless of Robbie Keane leaving. Even if Berbatov leaves I'm sure they will find another great player," Modric says in the Sun .

Keane is already dreaming of reclaiming the Premier League title at Liverpool but fellow Spurs departee Paul Robinson is just glad his White Hart Lane nightmare has drawn to a close.

"It's a relief to be out of there. It's nice to be wanted again," Robinson says in the Mail before adding of his intentions to claim an England recall.

I'd forgotten about Modrik. But he's another midfielder.

Stranger and stranger - 3 world class wingers/midfielders and no strikers :o

From Todays' Daily Telegraph:
Spurs fans should avert their eyes from today's back pages this morning as Robbie Keane gets stuck into his new life at Anfield.

Pictured hand-in-hand with his new strike partner at Liverpool, Fernando Torres, the couple's beaming smiles will merely rub salt into the wound as Tottenham supporters get to grips with losing one of their brightest stars.

In times like these there's only one thing for it. A touch of retail therapy and the club are not going to waste time mourning Keane's departure.

David Bentley and Andrei Arshavin are top of Spurs' radar and the Mirror says that a £36 million bid for the duo will be launched in the next 24 hours.

Winger Bentley will sort out the terms of his £50,000-a-week deal today while Arshavin will leave Zenit St Petersburg for north London for a fee in the region of £19m, subject to a work permit, add the paper.

It's easy to forget that Spurs pulled off one of this summer's transfer coups with the capture of Luka Modric back in May.

The Croatian international isn't too concerned to see Keane pack his bags for Liverpool and has hinted that the club are unlikely to miss Dimitar Berbatov too should the Bulgarian follow suit.

"This team has a great ambition regardless of Robbie Keane leaving. Even if Berbatov leaves I'm sure they will find another great player," Modric says in the Sun .

Keane is already dreaming of reclaiming the Premier League title at Liverpool but fellow Spurs departee Paul Robinson is just glad his White Hart Lane nightmare has drawn to a close.

"It's a relief to be out of there. It's nice to be wanted again," Robinson says in the Mail before adding of his intentions to claim an England recall.

I'd forgotten about Modrik. But he's another midfielder.

Stranger and stranger - 3 world class wingers/midfielders and no strikers :o

And not a mention of adding a defender anywhere. Too late to panic so can only hold on very tight for what just may be an extremely rough ride this season.

A comment from a BBC blog:

Ok so apparently we are set to pay around £34 Million for Bentley and Arshavin in the next 24 hrs....... my question is where will they play, will lennon lose his place? What formation will we adopt? Who will we buy to directly replace Keane?

I think Ramos will play a 4-2-3-1 formation

---------gomes-------------

hutton--w/gate---king--bale

---------------------------

------h/stone---modric-----

bentley--Arshavin--Dos Santos

-----------------------------

--------Berba/Bent----------

This leaves Jenas, Zokora, Lennon, O'Hara, Tarabat, and a few others on the sidelines..........

And I'm not 100 % sure but I think I just heard a news item on radio 5 that Spurs have just sold Bent :o

A comment from a BBC blog:

Ok so apparently we are set to pay around £34 Million for Bentley and Arshavin in the next 24 hrs....... my question is where will they play, will lennon lose his place? What formation will we adopt? Who will we buy to directly replace Keane?

I think Ramos will play a 4-2-3-1 formation

---------gomes-------------

hutton--w/gate---king--bale

------h/stone---modric-----

bentley--Arshavin--Dos Santos

-----------------------------

--------Berba/Bent----------

This leaves Jenas, Zokora, Lennon, O'Hara, Tarabat, and a few others on the sidelines..........

And I'm not 100 % sure but I think I just heard a news item on radio 5 that Spurs have just sold Bent :o

theres nothing wrong with that team, but unfortunately king and woodgate are sicknotes, if they stay fit then they will have the ability to challenge the top 4, but i just cant see that happening, we might scrape a EUFA place

Yes the side looks OK on paper but am I the only one concerned that we just don't have any strength in depth at the back? As Galowgala stated King and Woodgate are sicknotes and Bale may fall into the same category so that leaves us Dawson and who else to step up? Don't like it and can't recall a previous season where expectations are so low but of course don't mind being wrong.

Tottenham have held talks with Spartak Moscow's Russia striker Roman Pavlyuchenko, BBC Sport understands.

The £15m-rated Pavlyuchenko, 26, met representatives from the north London club last week, although no deal has been agreed yet.

Spurs are also believed to be keen on his fellow Russian Andrei Arshavin.

Arshavin's club, Zenit St Petersburg, claim they have not been approached but the player's agent said he may sign for Spurs within the next few days.

"It is my prediction that Andrei Arshavin is going to be a Tottenham player this season," Denis Lacter told BBC Radio Five Live.

"He just rejected a huge, huge offer to renew his contract for another five years. He preferred to leave for the Premier League."

Pavlyuchenko scored three goals at Euro 2008 while Arshavin, who played against CSKA Moscow at the weekend, also shone at the tournament.

Tottenham boss Juande Ramos has already spent about £45m on transfer fees in the close season.

Forward Giovani Dos Santos, midfielders Luka Modric and David Bentley and goalkeeper Heurelho Gomes have arrived at the club this summer.

They recouped some of that money with the £20.3m sale of Robbie Keane to Liverpool, the £3.5m received from Blackburn for keeper Paul Robinson and the transfers of Steed Malbranque, Pascal Chimbonda and Teemu Tainio to Sunderland.

It has also been widely reported that fellow forward Dimitar Berbatov will leave White Hart Lane before the start of the season.

The Bulgaria international did not appear in the 5-1 defeat of Leyton Orient on Wednesday and also did not feature in Monday's game at Norwich.