Recommendations please for a budget road bike.

MESmith

Recommendations please for a budget road bike.

I ride a 29er Trek hardtail which is great for cross country rides, climbing dirt, rocky trails, moderate downhills. Would like something more suitable for road rides.

Under 20,000bt.

For a short term fix, try pumping up your tires to the max and locking out your suspension. It will give you a little better idea what a road bike may feel like. Make sure you really want one before you make the move. I am 60 and still getting used to the drop bars but is not that bad. Hands on top of the bar doesn't feel that much different but it is a long ways down to the lower hold. The only time I notice any real difference is at speed because it does get you out of the wind, reducing drag.

• Like 1

Koowang Sing Bikes had a load of road bikes, 7k and up.

Other side of superhighway from Chang Puak road, next to KTB bank and opposite Honda.

They did have a 52cm TREK, but can't remember if road or hybrid.

Problem is if you are tall, nobody stocks anything over 50cm.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

For a short term fix, try pumping up your tires to the max and locking out your suspension. It will give you a little better idea what a road bike may feel like. Make sure you really want one before you make the move. I am 60 and still getting used to the drop bars but is not that bad. Hands on top of the bar doesn't feel that much different but it is a long ways down to the lower hold. The only time I notice any real difference is at speed because it does get you out of the wind, reducing drag.

I do have my tyres pumped up & lock out my front forks on tarmac, even on smooth dirt roads. But the fat tyres make it feel like I'm cycling in treacle at times. On my old 26" mtb I tried slicks but not much improvement. Hoping that a lighter bike on skinny slicks will be different. I seem to max out at 60 km over 3 hrs on my 29er. Hope to do more hill road climbs & longer distances.

Take a look at Cyclocross bikes, They are road bikes with fatter tires, some design features to make them a little better for off road if needed and with the fatter tires are better suited to the roads here,

Not looking for a road bike that can go offroad. I have an offroad bike. If I buy a new bike it'll be 100% road bike.

I do have my tyres pumped up & lock out my front forks on tarmac, even on smooth dirt roads. But the fat tyres make it feel like I'm cycling in treacle at times. On my old 26" mtb I tried slicks but not much improvement. Hoping that a lighter bike on skinny slicks will be different. I seem to max out at 60 km over 3 hrs on my 29er. Hope to do more hill road climbs & longer distances.

I could average 29Km/hr on my hybrid with 32mm slicks (27Km/hr with 35mm tires).

Average is 23Km/hr on my MTB with 50mm off roads.

Only on the flat so far.

Nothing to stop you putting thinner tires on a bike.

Reading about tires, seems tread (or lack of it) is not important on a road, best speeds on 32-28mm tires, so don't go too skinny.

• Like 1

Sounds like you are going through the same thing I did recently. I have found it is not just the kind of bike but the weight and quality of the components. If you don’t get a road bike which is lighter and better equipped than your mtb then you may not notice a significant difference. Shop around and don't rush to get a new bike, then buy the best one you can afford, is the only advice I can really offer.
  • Like 2

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like a cheap road bike wont be much improvement on my 29er. Do they sell slicks for 29" wheels in Thailand? Hopefully Chiang Mai. I think the lack of improvement with slicks on my 26" mtb was that I was pedalling flat out with offroad tyres & couldn't physically pedal any faster with the slicks. With my 29er top gear is a bit of a struggle to maintain top speed with the big tyres on. Maybe slicks should make top gear easier?

Or I could always put one of the kids in local village school for one term to free up the cash for a better road bike. Now which kid? Eenie, meenie, miney moe.... laugh.png

As I said here I have mtb only. at home uk I have same mtb and very nice road bike going out on my own choice mtb every time .The road bike kills my back and forearms.And that is with correct riding position set up by a professional.I would not dream of bringing that bike here with the road conditions .Also do you run tubeless if so try some stans no tubes it has never let me down yet.No more punches!

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like a cheap road bike wont be much improvement on my 29er. Do they sell slicks for 29" wheels in Thailand? Hopefully Chiang Mai. I think the lack of improvement with slicks on my 26" mtb was that I was pedalling flat out with offroad tyres & couldn't physically pedal any faster with the slicks. With my 29er top gear is a bit of a struggle to maintain top speed with the big tyres on. Maybe slicks should make top gear easier?

Or I could always put one of the kids in local village school for one term to free up the cash for a better road bike. Now which kid? Eenie, meenie, miney moe.... laugh.png

29 in mtb = 700c in road, so a 35 to 40mm road tyre would be worth trying.

Try Cherry Bike, Velocity, Song Bike or Jing Bicycle.

Another thing you could do if riding road more than trails would be to turn the mtb stem upside down to get a more aero position.

Infinite bikes have decent models for under 20k.

You can find the infinite solution for around 14k if you want an hybrid.

1402557640-1262557141-o.jpg

Quite light with only 10kg compared to hybrids of other brands of the same price bracket.

They also have 2 road bikes for under 20k, spad race and spad comp.

• Like 1

If you're determined to get a dedicated road bike, you'll might want to go for something with a more relaxed and comfortable 'sportive' geometry. Your budget will limit you to an alloy frame which can be a bit harsh, so check reviews first. Steel frames ride smoother but I don't know what to recommend. Anyone??

BTW, I started road riding a couple of years ago at 55... it's same same, but differentwink.png

• Like 2

A bit more info for you. I'm the wrong side of 50 yrs, not sure if drop handle bars will suit me.

I am 44 and didn't do any sport for 15 years.

Slowly you get used to it again (at 44, but I think at 50+ also) unless you have a back problem or a huge belly.

I am not sure but I think.....

29" MTB slicks are hard to find, especially in Thailand, whereas for some reason 26" slicks are not so hard to find. You might have to order them online. But.... while these tyres make you roll faster on asphalt, they definitely put an end to any sort fun you can have offroad.

Cheers, CM-Expat

• Like 1

29" MTB slicks are hard to find, especially in Thailand, whereas for some reason 26" slicks are not so hard to find. You might have to order them online. But.... while these tyres make you roll faster on asphalt, they definitely put an end to any sort fun you can have offroad.

Cheers, CM-Expat

29" tires = 700c

So very easy to find in Thailand.

"700c, or ISO 622mm is the rim diameter for both 29″ers and road racing bikes. In fact, the ISO 622 is a very common rim diameter that is used on a wide spectrum of bicycles. The term- 29″er- refers to the total diameter of the tire and wheel together, with the rim size being ISO 622mm, or as it is commonly referred to as, 700c."

from

http://twentynineinches.com/2009/01/15/question-can-you-put-road-tires-on-a-29er-rim/

^^

Not sure I get you there, nothing to stop you changing the rims or wheels if you want much thicker or thinner tires.

I just go to my local bike shop and ask them what I need.

I don't fit anything myself.

Here's a chart of what will fit,

post-151798-0-60547400-1422875817_thumb.

http://www.betterbybicycle.com/2014/04/a-simple-guide-on-essentials-of-wheels.html

So if I look up my MTB rim size (559x20c) which currently has 2.1" off road tires.

Looks like I could put 32mm on it if I wanted. (tread pattern is mainly irrelevant for road use, slicks off road, just ride slower)

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican