Can't afford to live in Thailand anymore

theguyfromanotherforum

My previous wife was Thai, and before anyone comes out with a stupid comment she isnt now as she did of cancer after 24 years of marriage, and she traveled everywhere with me. She lived in Saudi, Oman, England, Qatar and Greece with me and never had a problem. The Thai's are resilient no doubt about it. Most Thai's are hard workers, the ones I have found who are not are those working in the tourism industry.

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr Hamilton Ontario man (Manfrom anotherforum)

Here are the official costs of Hamilton Ontario which you used as an example

Cost of Living in Hamilton

Compare Hamilton with:

Index information.png Cost of Living Index (Excl.Rent): 59.53 Rent Index: 22.30 Groceries Index: 57.28 Restaurants Index: 55.88 Cost of Living Plus Rent Index: 41.89 Local Purchasing Power: 162.21

Do you live in Hamilton? We need your help: Add data for Hamilton!

Currency: Sticky Currency Switch to US measurement units Restaurants [ Edit ] Avg. Range Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant 10.00 C$ 10.00-15.00 Meal for 2 People, Mid-range Restaurant, Three-course 60.00 C$ 55.00-60.00 McMeal at McDonalds (or Equivalent Combo Meal) 8.50 C$ 8.00-10.00 Domestic Beer (0.5 liter draught) 5.00 C$ 4.00-5.75 Imported Beer (0.33 liter bottle) 6.50 C$ 5.00-7.00 Cappuccino (regular) 3.50 C$ 3.00-4.25 Coke/Pepsi (0.33 liter bottle) 1.69 C$ 1.29-2.00 Water (0.33 liter bottle) 1.59 C$ 1.20-2.00 Markets [ Edit ] Avg. Milk (regular), (1 liter) 1.99 C$ 1.05-3.00 Loaf of Fresh White Bread (500g) 2.40 C$ 2.00-2.99 Rice (white), (1kg) 2.95 C$ 2.50-3.29 Eggs (12) 2.77 C$ 2.49-3.25 Local Cheese (1kg) 14.49 C$ 9.00-19.98 Chicken Breasts (Boneless, Skinless), (1kg) 10.27 C$ 8.80-12.00 Beef Round (1kg) (or Equivalent Back Leg Red Meat) 12.06 C$ 8.82-15.35 Apples (1kg) 2.47 C$ 2.18-3.00 Banana (1kg) 1.45 C$ 1.30-1.56 Oranges (1kg) 2.00 C$ 2.00-2.00 Tomato (1kg) 2.58 C$ 1.74-4.39 Potato (1kg) 1.80 C$ 1.00-3.28 Onion (1kg) 1.17 C$ 0.73-1.79 Lettuce (1 head) 1.75 C$ 1.29-2.49 Water (1.5 liter bottle) 2.00 C$ 1.99-2.00 Bottle of Wine (Mid-Range) 12.00 C$ 10.00-15.00 Domestic Beer (0.5 liter bottle) 2.25 C$ 2.25-2.25 Imported Beer (0.33 liter bottle) 1.75 C$ 1.50-2.00 Pack of Cigarettes (Marlboro) 11.50 C$ 11.00-12.00 Transportation [ Edit ] Avg. One-way Ticket (Local Transport) 2.75 C$ 2.50-2.75 Monthly Pass (Regular Price) 94.60 C$ 87.00-94.60 Taxi Start (Normal Tariff) 3.90 C$ 3.90-3.90 Taxi 1km (Normal Tariff) 1.80 C$ 1.80-1.80 Taxi 1hour Waiting (Normal Tariff) 33.60 C$ 20.00-50.00 Gasoline (1 liter) 1.06 C$ 0.94-1.15 Volkswagen Golf 1.4 90 KW Trendline (Or Equivalent New Car) 20,000.00 C$ 19,999.00-29,500.00 Utilities (Monthly) [ Edit ] Avg. Basic (Electricity, Heating, Water, Garbage) for 85m2 Apartment 96.25 C$ 65.00-127.50 1 min. of Prepaid Mobile Tariff Local (No Discounts or Plans) 0.19 C$ 0.07-0.35 Internet (10 Mbps, Unlimited Data, Cable/ADSL) 59.44 C$ 40.00-100.00 Sports And Leisure [ Edit ] Avg. Fitness Club, Monthly Fee for 1 Adult 48.33 C$ 45.00-50.00 Tennis Court Rent (1 Hour on Weekend) 10.00 C$ 0.00-20.00 Cinema, International Release, 1 Seat 12.75 C$ 11.99-15.99 Clothing And Shoes [ Edit ] Avg. 1 Pair of Jeans (Levis 501 Or Similar) 61.50 C$ 29.99-100.00 1 Summer Dress in a Chain Store (Zara, H&M, ...) 40.00 C$ 30.00-50.00 1 Pair of Nike Running Shoes (Mid-Range) 97.33 C$ 70.00-129.00 1 Pair of Men Leather Business Shoes 96.67 C$ 75.00-120.00 Rent Per Month [ Edit ] Avg. Apartment (1 bedroom) in City Centre 845.78 C$ 750.00-1,000.00 Apartment (1 bedroom) Outside of Centre 721.86 C$ 650.00-753.00 Apartment (3 bedrooms) in City Centre 1,240.00 C$ 1,100.00-1,400.00 Apartment (3 bedrooms) Outside of Centre 1,116.67 C$ 1,000.00-1,400.00 Buy Apartment Price [ Edit ] Avg. Price per Square Meter to Buy Apartment in City Centre 2,723.88 C$ 2,640.00-2,807.77 Price per Square Meter to Buy Apartment Outside of Centre 2,904.63 C$ 2,100.00-3,600.00 Salaries And Financing [ Edit ] Avg. Average Monthly Disposable Salary (Net After Tax) 3,102.47 C$ 1,800.00-4,200.00 Mortgage Interest Rate in Percentages (%), Yearly 2.78 2.60-2.90 Prices in Hamilton, Canada

These data are based on 440 entries in the past 18 months from 76 different contributors.
Last update: April, 2016
Sources and References : information.png
Add new source here: URL: Description:
Cost of living in Hamilton is 17.17% higher than in Bangkok information.pngOur estimator (with default settings) estimate monthly expenses for a single person at 23,543.96฿ (861.13C$) and for four person family at 85,692.11฿ (3,134.24C$) (without rent).
Edited by lovelomsak

Recovery from crash? Everything is relative. The baht has been depreciating against the sing dollar since the crash. How do u explain that?

it's the other way round mate! beginn of 1998 one Sing Dollar bought 33 Baht. today one Sing Dollar buys <26 Baht.

from 2002 onwards THB and SGD moved more or less parallel vs. USD.

attachicon.gifTHB SGD USD.png

Conceded. But from 2008 to 2016 rates moved from 20 to 26 baht. It was a good run.

If you cannot afford to live in Thailand off your Canadian money, how can you live in Canada? Maybe get a job?

The biggest problem in Thailand, if you run low on money, you can't easily top it up with a job.

In your home country you can claim on the social, part time job, etc.

Same when I'm in France or Spain. Temporary low level job, not a problem.

Edited by BritManToo

If you cannot afford to live in Thailand off your Canadian money, how can you live in Canada? Maybe get a job?

I have a job and I am getting paid all right.

I also have near zero monthly expenses. I am very lucky as my wife takes very good care of me.

Even my health is getting better because I am starting to cook at home.

I don't have any vices like alcohol or hoz.

Even with all this I find like I am living like a poor man in Thailand.

I have a feeling that to live like I used to live in Canada, I would have to spend a substantial amount of money.

What I am saying is that I am compromising. Big time.

I also have near zero monthly expenses. I am very lucky as my wife takes very good care of me.

I have a feeling that to live like I used to live in Canada, I would have to spend a substantial amount of money.

Ok

I will tell you how I see it.

At 19 you came to Canada left your home country. If I understand right 10 years later you come to Thailand.

Why did you leave Canada to begin with? You were just starting a new life and never followed through.

Your life at your age would definitely be better in Canada in your situation.In Canada you could build networth,by simply working paying the mortgage and paying into the pension plans.You do not need to be a rocket scientist to get ahead in Canada.Your costs would be controlable.

Here you tread water. No networth increase. No pensions building with time.No real assets..

This is a fine place to retire. But I feel there are very few success stories of expats who came here young and stay Foreigners can spend their life here and end up with nothing.At least in Canada if your wife does not take every thing in a divorce you will build networth.

I think it is foolish to want to make a life here when you are young if you can go to Canada and strive for better.Canada costs more but you get more back if you are not stupid or lazy.

The fact you left Canada so quickly gives me the impression you want rewards now cannot wait. Well rewards in life take time like a fruit tree. You plant the tree today wait 10 years to get fruit. But have to water and prune and fertilize for 10 years before you see fruit.

Add new source here: URL: Description:
Cost of living in Hamilton is 17.17% higher than in Bangkok information.pngOur estimator (with default settings) estimate monthly expenses for a single person at 23,543.96฿ (861.13C$) and for four person family at 85,692.11฿ (3,134.24C$) (without rent).

SO what you try to say?

againe..

75k per year can afford BMW335 studio (even not cheap distric) normal meet. beer wine etc..

in CANADA.

In Bangkok Cant even for 100k CAD

I can bet on this is..

You?

ANd can bet on many life style can afford in western country with 50-120k US$ in thailand even pay twince CANT!!!!

buy low, sell high....do that only a few times and get very rich!!!

remember, try to buy near the bottom and sell near the top to make the most money!!!!

thank me now and later....

i am guru

this advice is 10,000 baht......per letter

The biggest problem in Thailand, if you run low on money, you can't easily top it up with a job.

In your home country you can claim on the social, part time job, etc.

Same when I'm in France or Spain. Temporary low level job, not a problem.

You right. And not only this is..

In Home country more easy start business, find job..( even in Spainwink.png )

And still cost be western style quality life more cheap when in Thailand..

but.... p//sy if not wery young..

or do not so much talk... just pay and get.. in Thai.....whistling.gif

Alberta guy, your post is biased and I can make the same biased post in favor of Canada which I will now.

I own a rather small 44sqm condo in the very center or Toronto. Current selling price is $259,000 (7 million baht).

A condo on Sukhumvit 24 that is around 30 square meters and will look like a ghetto in 10 years (as I pointed out on another thread) is going for 6mil baht from the developer. This big city price example good enough for you?

Sure, I pay tax and maintenance on my condo. Tax it $120 a month and maintenance is $365, but that includes unlimited heating/Aircon and electricity. Sure, maintenance in Thailand is much lower, but that explains the many developments that end up looking like a dump.

My variable mortgage is currently set at 1.85%. What is the average mortgage in Thailand? I believe at least 4%.... so Canada wins here too.

Taxes are high in Canada, but my uncle is going through an experimental cancer treatment which will most likely cost the tax payer a million bucks. Free for him. Canada wins big time here,

Cherries, berries, strawberries are much cheaper in Canada. So is a good quality beef and Manuka and various NZ honey. Probiotics and vitamins.... much cheaper.

Average supermarket in Canada is really well supplied even in crappy city like Hamilton. You can find a lot of imported stuff that would in Thailand cost you an arm and a leg.

Insurance costs more because they actually pay out even if you are at fault, unlike in Thailand.

Schools are free and even high quality University education will become free for poorer families (I don't agree with this, but we are strictly comparing costs).

As mentioned before, Cars, electronics, phones (buy without a plan like in Thailand) is cheaper.

Internet is reliable fast and cheap IF you go through re-sellers such as teksavvy and Wind.

The only thing I find cheaper in Thailand is the cost of transport and meds.

Everything else is more expensive. Period.

All true but I don't care because the hot tanned long haired cute females are in Thailand and not Canada.

Live in Canada and find a Canadian GF/wife?

Possible, but it would be an ass thing to do.

The bigger issue is that I have nothing in common with a typical Canadian woman.

Not judging, but it is what it is.

you have nothing in common with a typical canadian woman?

how so? and what is a typical Canadian woman?

The fantasy of Thailand as a place to live like a prince on a pauper's budget has been replaced by cold, hard economic reality for some and that's just too bad

In Thailand cant live even as normal simple western qulity life for near double western budget.

Becouse in Thailand near 0 produce any western qality stile..

All import!! And hight cost customs fees..

only thai style life cheap or "fake" western style.

As some owner chines fake car bmw logo(I see few time) attached its not be BMW..

well said.

If you can'afford to live in Thailand, then where can you afford to live?!?! Seriously!

Get out of the "tourist hotspots" and learn to adapt. I'm not saying you should give up all your hobbies, never eat Western food again, never take a taxi or go to the movies, etc. but many Westerns are happy living here (myself included).

If you can't make it work here, the odds that it'll be any better/easier back in the West aren't looking too good for you.

Good bye and good luck.

some style life( as example western quality style) in Thailand hight cost..

But even lowcost life.. can be as example cheaper in Phillipin, Cambodia,Myanmar etc.

Even in some countries, the village community can give you land and "women". And no one in community care about your VISA or ask for a visa or passport. And and the authorities do not interfere in the affairs of these communities.
Can live on what you grow up, gather in the forest, hunting, exchange with other members of the community- WHITH OUT ONE PENNY!!

Yes. It is called Imaginationland biggrin.png

The bigger issue is that I have nothing in common with a typical Canadian woman.

Probably like most western women looking for money and a submissive man who does the dishes.

Ok

I will tell you how I see it.

At 19 you came to Canada left your home country. If I understand right 10 years later you come to Thailand.

Why did you leave Canada to begin with? You were just starting a new life and never followed through.

Your life at your age would definitely be better in Canada in your situation.In Canada you could build networth,by simply working paying the mortgage and paying into the pension plans.You do not need to be a rocket scientist to get ahead in Canada.Your costs would be controlable.

Here you tread water. No networth increase. No pensions building with time.No real assets..

This is a fine place to retire. But I feel there are very few success stories of expats who came here young and stay Foreigners can spend their life here and end up with nothing.At least in Canada if your wife does not take every thing in a divorce you will build networth.

I think it is foolish to want to make a life here when you are young if you can go to Canada and strive for better.Canada costs more but you get more back if you are not stupid or lazy.

The fact you left Canada so quickly gives me the impression you want rewards now cannot wait. Well rewards in life take time like a fruit tree. You plant the tree today wait 10 years to get fruit. But have to water and prune and fertilize for 10 years before you see fruit.

Well I actually spent 15 years in Montreal (a major waste of life with no prospects of any career or savings for retirement) and about 7 years in Toronto.

I explained this earlier. The major reason I came to Thailand was loneliness. I mean.... I had no life and no friends in Toronto. I became extremely depressed. I was contemplating going back to my country or Thailand. Had a Thai gf in Toronto and I've been to Thailand a few times with my ex, so choose Thailand. And because I'm hunsum man and have a degree I could also teach English. Fortunately, I still didn't have the opportunity to embarrass myself in class as I make more with my business, but it was (and it still is) a backup plan.

The life in Canada can be very very lonely. It was driving me insane.

Probably like most western women looking for money and a submissive man who does the dishes.

I suspect that, like most of the Western men in Thailand, you only have a problem with Western women wanting money because you can't afford to pay what they want.

Seems to me that Thai women want money too but far fewer of you complain because the price tag is within your means.

I suspect that, like most of the Western men in Thailand, you only have a problem with Western women wanting money because you can't afford to pay what they want.

Seems to me that Thai women want money too but far fewer of you complain because the price tag is within your means.

Hmm, weird. Why should I have a problem with western women or complain about them? I don't have one. clap2.gif

Well I used to have a gf in 10 different cities I lived/worked, that includes Montreal, Paris, Düsseldorf, Sillypore, Hong Kong, Bangkok, Lisboa, Atlanta and a few others.

If it wasn't for the 9 months of sub 20C I would choose Montreal over all the other cities.

And don't mention 3 meters of snow.

Edited by tartempion

After living in Thailand for 10 years, I could see the writing on the wall. Either severe floods or droughts, electric going off all the time for no reason, political changes to the rules every month, rising costs, tourist areas being commercialized to the point of being trashed, just an entire country going backwards.

If you goal was to find the woman of your dreams and you found her as so many have, that is just super.

However, my wife was smart enough to know living in the Thailand misery was not for me or her.

Florida, USA. Now before all of you that are afraid of America because everyone has a gun, realize 500 people just got killed in Thailand in one week during Songkran. I can claim with a fact, there has never been one week in history that 500 people got killed in our town. So save the paranoia for the facts.

Florida has a lot of Thai people. Florida has Thai temples. Within 10 miles of our house there are 20 Thai restaurants all staffed with Thai’s that are here on tourist visa overstay getting paid $5 an hour, which many will tell you is better than being in Thailand? Somehow there kids manage to go to US schools and get a US education.

I gave some thought before moving to Thailand that sooner or later I would move back, so I was prepared. Have an advanced education so I knew I could come back and get a solid high paying job.

The whole key was planning before I ever moved there. For those familiar with the last financial crash at the end of the 1990’s, you would have to be crazy to think the third world will be financially stable forever and put all your finances in that country.

For us it came down to quality of life. When it is 40c and the electric goes off, hard to have a quality of life. Hard to have a quality of life when it is 40c and no water to take a shower. Those are just the tips of the minor issues.

Quality of life in Florida is amazing. 1600’ from the beach. Nice house, giant pool and all the comforts of living in the west. When was the last time you slept in a real quality bed? The choice of food and restaurants is unlimited. Fresh seafood and fruit out the wazoo. Restaurants any time we want. Exciting things to see and do within hours up and down the coast.

Big name concerts and shows. Professional sports. You name it.

New cars. Cars are cheaper in the USA than in Thailand by a long shot.

Work for a major company now. Have 62.5% 401K matching to 10% of my salary. Free money. Social Security is already > US $3,000 a month that my wife will get the rest of her life when I pass away.

Life insurance through the company is super reasonable.

Medical is expensive, even though the company chips in, it is a huge cost. Dental and vision very reasonable. Prescription card very reasonable.

Have tons of friends, farang and Thai. Always a get together or outing somewhere.

It all comes down to quality of life and I think we found just the perfect quality of life we were looking for.

Most of the people doing the majority of the bitching have trapped themselves into being school teachers and have no choice but to stay there.

Florida, USA. Now before all of you that are afraid of America because everyone has a gun, realize 500 people just got killed in Thailand in one week during Songkran. I can claim with a fact, there has never been one week in history that 500 people got killed in our town.

hmmmm

Welcome to Hillbillytown, Florida.

Population: 215

Come and meet my wife and my sister (One woman standing next to you)

^^

I like Florida, great beaches, good diving, cheap living.

But I'm British so I can't live there.

Why?biggrin.pngblink.png

If even with Thai passport people live theregigglem.gifwink.png

PS

but still have Spain,France... Svizerland.. etc

for p//sy can go to Bulgaria, Lithuania, Latviya, Poland ,Ukraine..Etc( yes it may be litle up.. price p..sy..

but if like western style life.. its better option...

thumbsup.gif

After living in Thailand for 10 years, I could see the writing on the wall. Either severe floods or droughts, electric going off all the time for no reason, political changes to the rules every month, rising costs, tourist areas being commercialized to the point of being trashed, just an entire country going backwards.

If you goal was to find the woman of your dreams and you found her as so many have, that is just super.

However, my wife was smart enough to know living in the Thailand misery was not for me or her.

Florida, USA. Now before all of you that are afraid of America because everyone has a gun, realize 500 people just got killed in Thailand in one week during Songkran. I can claim with a fact, there has never been one week in history that 500 people got killed in our town. So save the paranoia for the facts.

Florida has a lot of Thai people. Florida has Thai temples. Within 10 miles of our house there are 20 Thai restaurants all staffed with Thai’s that are here on tourist visa overstay getting paid $5 an hour, which many will tell you is better than being in Thailand? Somehow there kids manage to go to US schools and get a US education.

I gave some thought before moving to Thailand that sooner or later I would move back, so I was prepared. Have an advanced education so I knew I could come back and get a solid high paying job.

The whole key was planning before I ever moved there. For those familiar with the last financial crash at the end of the 1990’s, you would have to be crazy to think the third world will be financially stable forever and put all your finances in that country.

For us it came down to quality of life. When it is 40c and the electric goes off, hard to have a quality of life. Hard to have a quality of life when it is 40c and no water to take a shower. Those are just the tips of the minor issues.

Quality of life in Florida is amazing. 1600’ from the beach. Nice house, giant pool and all the comforts of living in the west. When was the last time you slept in a real quality bed? The choice of food and restaurants is unlimited. Fresh seafood and fruit out the wazoo. Restaurants any time we want. Exciting things to see and do within hours up and down the coast.

Big name concerts and shows. Professional sports. You name it.

New cars. Cars are cheaper in the USA than in Thailand by a long shot.

Work for a major company now. Have 62.5% 401K matching to 10% of my salary. Free money. Social Security is already > US $3,000 a month that my wife will get the rest of her life when I pass away.

Life insurance through the company is super reasonable.

Medical is expensive, even though the company chips in, it is a huge cost. Dental and vision very reasonable. Prescription card very reasonable.

Have tons of friends, farang and Thai. Always a get together or outing somewhere.

It all comes down to quality of life and I think we found just the perfect quality of life we were looking for.

Most of the people doing the majority of the bitching have trapped themselves into being school teachers and have no choice but to stay there.

I love Thailand and the Thai people, and there will always be a future for me in Thailand, but I will never give up my FL home, for many of the reasons you stated above.

I am not in Thailand because it is cheaper to live there,I am there because my wife is from there, and I have come to love the place.

The only thing that is less expensive in Thailand is labor and things that derive their value from Thai labor, everything else is more expensive, and if it is not more expensive it is of lesser quality.

We can live in Thailand for less, because we can do with less in Thailand.

This is true for me , but it might not be true for others from other parts of the world.

I see it more in the way. In Thailand it is possible to live a similar live I have in my homecountry for 2'000€ where in my homecountry 2'000€ is not enough to survive.

The weather is always good (sometimes too hot). And I never had the problem with the electric shortcuts... In the last 2 years was 1 problem for about 3-4 minutes! But yes I know about some districts which have it almost daily... I think this depends in which area you are. In some areas the eletric company shuts down the electric (I heared this rumor) so other hi-so district have no problems. But not sure if this is true or not.