Patong is dead.

hansgruber

<snip>

Actually, Bangla Road itself was buzzing (this at about 9:30 p.m.) and had more people walking around than I had seen for some time. I did hit my usual Smiley Bar and even though it was sparsely populated initially, it did fill up a bit later, probably to about 60% full or more, then I popped down to see a friend in Soi Freedom and although he had a few folk in his bar, he said it had been very quiet for a few weeks now, and looking up and down that Soi I could see what he meant.

Meandering home at about 1:30 a.m. I noticed that there were still quite a few people on Bangla and that the Monsoon bar was absolutely packed and patrons were spilling out onto the road, New York bar still busy but less so and the two Tiger complexes being sparsely populated. Someone did tell me that Illuzion can get up to 3000 people there in an evening!!!! Maybe that's where everybody goes?

<snip>

Moving along, Nanai still has a life of its own and I have noticed that the recently opened Amigo bar has been shut for about a week now and this seems strange because it hasn't been open long and I believe quite a bit of money was spent in the fit out? Word on the street is that a lot more of the small businesses are struggling and it wouldn't surprise me to see more closures sooner rather than later.

I think that as another poster mentioned a while back, the level of activity on Bangla seems to vary from one night to the next.

We had an early night out Sunday, and Bangla wasn't busy at all. At about 9pm, the band was playing at Smiley bar to a decent sized crowd, so it appears that having a band start a little earlier in the evening is a good idea. The Filipino band at Soi Freedom just started playing after we arrived, and I have to say the the entire soi was deserted. Neither Island Bar or Wave Bar (the 2 bars nearest the band) had a single customer, and things didn't improve much for the hour or so we stayed. The band at Soi Freedom had a second female singer, who has an exceptional voice - I don't know if that's temporary or permanent. Passing by Smiley Bar on the way out a little after 10pm, I saw it was absolutely packed - a very good sign for an otherwise dismal turnout on Bangla. Walking down Bangla, I noticed that the U2 bar was closed, with their roller blind down. Not sure if this is a permanent closure, but U2 has been a fixture on Bangla as long as I can remember.

Speaking of Nanai, Amigo is someplace I've been meaning to check out ever since it opened, but still haven't made it there. I'm hoping it's not closed for good, as a nice bar with Mexican food seems like something unique in an otherwise same-same landscape. We've recently stopped in at Da Moreno pizza restaurant, and they've done a nice job with the remodel, re-configuring things a bit to add what seems like quite a few more seats. Should really help on their busy nights.

The second female singer at the band in Soi Freedom does have a great voice and her name is Donna and I think she's pretty much a permanent fixture now.
Just been past U2 bar and the name has disappeared and work is being done on it so who knows what's happening there.
As for Amigo, DrDave, well I don't think it ever did sell Mexican food, so maybe you haven't missed out on anything!
Speaking of businesses closing, I have just been speaking to the owner of the Deli who is clearing out his stock and has the building up for lease. Business has been on the decline for at least five years now so it's no surprise that it is going.
The owner suggested it might be a good location for an Italian restaurant or even an Irish bar with a restaurant attached and it certainly has enough room to do just about anything anyone wants, however it is in the wrong part of town.
Just down from the Deli a bar and guesthouse which seems to have been called Baan Phil, is empty as is another double fronted shop opposite and down the way a little.
I also notice that a small bar that opened up about three months ago, at the south end of Soi Nanai just metres along from Soi Nanai 6 is for sale.

"however it is in the wrong part of town." - question is, where, exactly, is the right part of town, these days????

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NKM asked: "however it is in the wrong part of town." - question is, where, exactly, is the right part of town, these days????

Depends on several factors including but not exhaustively; what you're attempting sell, to whom you're attempting to sell and how you're attempting to sell.

NKM asked: "however it is in the wrong part of town." - question is, where, exactly, is the right part of town, these days????

Depends on several factors including but not exhaustively; what you're attempting sell, to whom you're attempting to sell and how you're attempting to sell.

I agree, but if we were to look at tourism related industries, particularly hospitality, I think you will find revenue is down, island wide.

I agree, but if we were to look at tourism related industries, particularly hospitality, I think you will find revenue is down, island wide.

NKM, I was simply responding to your, probably rhetorical, question. I offered no view with respect to "island wide" levels of tourism or associated revenue.

Drove past Amigo Bar & Restaurant and it has a "For Sale" sign outside!!! That was a short lived (and probably expensive) venture for some poor farang.......but not to worry it will only be closed until some local or imported fool opens it up again!!

VIP bar in Nanai is also closed and for sale and I noticed that Valero Guesthouse on Nanai looks deserted........anyone have any news on that?

On 08/02/2015 at 3:43 PM, madmitch said:

So.....if someone says on the internet that the market ruined the street you'll believe it, but you won't believe two people that have posted here saying that?

Did you ever see Patpong in the early to mid 80's before the market was established?

I think you'll find that the market changing the character of the street for the worst is common knowledge amongst expats..........but, then again, I guess not.

I was there starting in 1983. "Common knowledge" ? Some people liked it, some didn't. Like anything else. Why would it lead to a decline in the bars? Don't get it. Though I get you don't like it.

Funny we are doing this side discussion.

FYI An American owns Bacarra and a bunch of bars in Soi Cowboy and other places. He recently bought Nana Plaza and owns most of the bars there. The bars haven't folded there because of the Asians. Any bar that is doing well i.e. the Rainbows is due to Asians. Can they last? I hope they do. Let's recruit more farangs. I am sure you know there are many girls who won't even go with a farang. And many who try to look Japanese.

FYI Baccara is owned by a French guy called Patrick and I'm pretty sure that Nana Plaza's main landowners are a Thai/Indian family.

A bit off topic however!

Wrong sir. Baccara and Nana are owned by a consortium including a well known British Born national with dubious connections... Check out Andrew Drummond website.. BTW you will have to use a VPN as he's site is blocked for some reason... Lol

Here is a little snippet of information that won't surprise the folk who have lived here along time, but may surprise others.

The reason that Jungceylon has remained closed after the "repair" is intriguing indeed, because all that has been needed is that the work is signed off by a qualified engineer, at least that's what we're told. However the truth appears to be very different in as much as some powerful folk here have told the owners of Jungceylon that if they wish to get this signed off then a few million baht needs to change hands.

Yes they are being held to ransom and have been now for a couple of weeks, however the owners are refusing to play ball, hence the delay. When you add this to the corruption that already exists with regards to "protection" money being collected from businesses and Tuk Tuks, jet-skis, ping-pong touts and taxis having to pay certain people in power to be able to operate, as well as the myriad of other corruption scams, then you get a sense of how deeply ingrained corruption is and the fact that these people, or the corruption they practice, will never change.

A generally corrupt people, worshipping a corrupt version of Buddhism, in a corrupt country where the wealthy/elite need to keep the masses ignorant whilst ripping off the country to the tune of billions upon billions of baht.

1 hour ago, LivinginKata said:

^

No surprise there. What 'qualified' engineer is going to sign off on the repairs and risk his reputation.  That engineer would need a very large retirement fund for his pension. 

Trouble is, it's not the engineer that's asking for it but some high-powered/placed people on the island, resorting to extortion. And even if the engineer were to get some of it, he'd still be put through the mill if anything happened, whilst the "elite" bank many millions of baht.

It stinks of Thailand. 

11 hours ago, Kopitiam said:

Thanks for the update. Guess we'll never know if envelopes changed hands although the Mall's owners were adamant they weren't going to play that game.

So the next question is, "what caused the columns to star crumbling?"

I'm afraid that Patong will be even quieter after the bomb blasts and a friend who went out on Wed evening said there were more people in Smiley Bar than the whole of Soi Freedom.......and that's before the blasts.

10 minutes ago, Kopitiam said:

Lot's of hype with hotel occupancy .... but for sure the big resorts with good marketing are doing well. The smaller privately owned hotels and guesthouses are not doing well ..

15 minutes ago, Kopitiam said:

And Father Christmas is REAL.............TAT said so!

On 8/4/2016 at 10:18 AM, xylophone said:
19 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Lot's of hype with hotel occupancy .... but for sure the big resorts with good marketing are doing well. The smaller privately owned hotels and guesthouses are not doing well ..

Not only is the 80% figure suspect, but consider the fact that quite a few smaller hotels and guesthouses have closed down since the beginning of the year due to a lack of business. Fewer unoccupied rooms are available now, causing an incrementally higher reported occupancy rate.

6 hours ago, DrDave said:

Not only is the 80% figure suspect, but consider the fact that quite a few smaller hotels and guesthouses have closed down since the beginning of the year due to a lack of business. Fewer unoccupied rooms are available now, causing an incrementally higher reported occupancy rate.

Clearly a chance for someone to jump in and open a small guesthouse due to rising occupancy rates, we're in an upwards trend it seems! :)

On 13 August 2016 at 9:46 PM, schlog said:

Don't forget the Arabs. It's easier nowadays to spot 50 burkas then 1 good looking thai girl in Patong.

Spotting a good looking girl in Patong has been a tough call for some time now IMO and good looking with a pleasant personality, no odds being offered on that one!! ;)

On 8/13/2016 at 6:25 PM, madmitch said:

80% occupancy with 80% Chinese. That's why.

TAT may consider them as the "saviours" of this place, but judging from the comments from other long-term expats here (and that includes me), they are not liked one bit – – noisy, rude, inconsiderate and sometimes dirty and you'd have to say, either stupid or ignorant by the way they walk in the roads or drive the scooters.

On the Patong Hills yesterday traffic was almost at a standstill because there were 5 tour buses crawling up the hills, sometimes side-by-side and it was a nightmare, and this is the low season, so god only knows what's going to happen when the high season hits......

So Patong is not dead far as these people are concerned, but for others they are slowly killing it.

However in keeping with the Thai way, I stopped in the road yesterday because a young woman had fallen from her scooter and it looks like she had just come out of a side turning and leaned over too far, so no real damage, apart from the scratches on her crash helmet which fell from her handlebars (yes that's right). She was helped back on the scooter by a kindly passerby and motorbike taxi man and she proceeded to pick up her crash helmet from the road and hang it back on the hook under the handlebars......... I don't suppose it ever occurred to her that she could have had a serious head injury and was lucky to get away with such, but no, crash helmet back on the hook and not on the head. Thainess personified.

Some other unfortunate has decided to open up in one of the roller blind shops at the bottom of my soi (three tenants previously, all failed) and it looks like it is a shop selling cheap jewelry and trinkets. The massage shop a few metres along hardly does any business and I think that may be next to go, and the other bar which opened up next to the minimart some 30 meters away has a sign outside of it saying, "for sale – cheap price" or something to that effect.

And the beat goes on................

In regards to the 80% occupancy rates I have probable reason to believe that is either true or money laundering.

I checked out of a 5* resort recently, and as we all know Thais like to re-use paper. I flipped over to the backside of my bill and low and behold it was a complete breakdown of the hotel's occupancy rates by month, up until the month I was there. The average was around 80%.

Now, I'm pretty sure the actual occupancy was like 20%, based on the fact the place was pretty much empty, and the yearly breakdown per month was 80% average every month.

This is not a new concept, it's exactly how Las Vegas cleaned the new york and chicago mobs money going back to the 1930's I believe.

That's funny, i first came to Thailand in 1977, and have  returned here at least once a year since then. I am now etired and living in Bangkok

In 1977, i was assured by "oldtimers" that Phuket was dieing, and there was no point in visting there for that reason.

At least onc a year someone tells me that same thing about places like Pattaya, Soi Cowboy, Soi Nana, or even Bangkok.

According to these "old hands" none of these places are what they once were back in the "old days".

It's probably true that thay are not now what they once were and the truth is that they never were anyhow.

All the "old days" and their "good times" are in the memories of the old timers only.

Everything changes, and that uncertainty is the only true certainty, as it has always been.

They say that there are two things certain, death and taxes, but you can add change to that and it is an ongoing evolutionary thing.

And on that point, if change evolves into a “more, better, different” outcome then all is generally well, but then again towns, places and cities can change for the worse for a number of reasons, especially if those reasons are not geared towards providing what the “drawcard” was in the first place.

I don’t know about other places in Thailand however when I first came here in 2004, there were customers flocking to the beaches, nightlife and beer bars and everything seemed to be working to one degree or another and I never remember any half built/abandoned condominiums or apartments let alone empty shops and shop houses, in fact just about every man and his dog was interested in setting up a business in one way or another (farangs and the beer bars seemed to be the favourite) because money could be made on them.

Now a place like Patong is totally reliant upon its customers and just like every good business, a way has to be found to deliver superior customer service/customer satisfaction and all services should be geared to that in order to get increased and repeat business.

As other posters have said, what has been done in Patong to provide that increased level of customer service and the answer is: – absolutely nothing. Transport has not been geared towards moving tourists around the place in an efficient and cost-effective manner, no means of public transport, a huge increase in the numbers of taxis and tuk tuks clogging up the inefficient one-way system and which have to pay their monthly dues, and building has gone on without any consideration for infrastructure/services resulting in sewerage overflows, smells and flooding.

Abandoned structures abound and are not only highly visible like the ACE condos and “The Park” eyesores, but can be seen amongst the everyday shops and shop houses in many of the roads here.

Then of course you have the fiasco with regards to the beaches and what you can and can’t do on them, when other countries seem to make these things work and laying on a sun lounger under an umbrella with food and drink vendors on hand, was what many people thought of as part of an ideal vacation.

So absolutely nothing has been done to increase the customer experience here, in fact just about everything that has been done has been based on greed or stupidity, not to mention corruption and there is only so long that a world-famous tourist attraction can live on its memories, because change which only benefits the powers that be and not the customer base will not succeed.