Patong is dead.

hansgruber

Nope, not a pimp. Nothing illegal happens on his premises and what the girl and customer get up to once they leave his premises is none of his (or your) business.

You do know that of all the prostitution that takes place in Thailand, the majority of the owners, prostitutes and customers are Thai? It's estimated that the Thai customer trade makes up about 95%. Personally, I think it's higher.

Edited by KarenBravo

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a trip to Jungceylon Yesterday, I was surprised at the lack of people around, in fact I would say that at around 1 p.m. onwards yesterday afternoon, the place was like a ghost town. This especially in the "restaurant alley" on one side of Jungceylon, where several of the restaurants had absolutely nobody in them and the others had one or two people only.

The coffee shop which shared the small building with Subway has closed due to lack of business and it wouldn't surprise me to see a few others doing likewise. Pizzeria Hut had just two people in it and no one sitting outside and at the Italian restaurant next to it, had absolutely no customers.

The same scenario was repeated until the Irish Times pub, which at least had about eight people sitting eating and drinking. The large Starbucks also had about eight people in it, which made it look empty because it is quite a large room.

The Chinese restaurant which replaced the "Absolute Pub" rarely has more than one or two tables of people eating, and as this is such a large establishment it makes it look empty. Furthermore, they have sublet a small part of their premises to a shoe shop, and being the realist that I am, I am surprised that this restaurant has lasted this long, and would not be surprised to see it fall over in the coming months.

On the one hand I feel sorry for a lot of "longer term" businesses which will be struggling right now and may well go to the wall, however on the other hand there are some small businesses which should have never opened in the first place.............

I know, a doom and gloom post, however I just post as I see and as I am in the Jungceylon area just about every day for more than a few hours, I can't help but notice.

Only place at 1pm in Jungceylon these days who has customers is the foodcourt. Sad but what do they expect from 300$ low budget tourists. Real endgame atmosphere.

Haven't been there since the last one closed for a refurb...

I think you are right about the low budget tourists and when I see them queuing outside of No 6 restaurant for a 100 baht rice or noodle dish, then I pretty much know that things are desperate here now.

How did it go so wrong (partly rhetorical!)?

Only place at 1pm in Jungceylon these days who has customers is the foodcourt. Sad but what do they expect from 300$ low budget tourists. Real endgame atmosphere.

I think you are right about the low budget tourists and when I see them queuing outside of No 6 restaurant for a 100 baht rice or noodle dish, then I pretty much know that things are desperate here now.

Yah several years ago No 6 was great IMHO. Last 3-4 years they seemed to have dropped the service and the standard to the lowest common denominator. Even 3 years ago it was rushed, tasteless and not worth the money. But they still queue up for it, nothing like a coach trip, sheep mentality, low prices and somebody waving round a yellow card to get the trade in.

Agree on the shopping too. Only the cheap crap is reasonable price unless you buy stuff in a sale and don't mind 2 year old designs and, unless you're really lucky, some unheard of brand or a Mickey Mouse 'soundalike' brand name that people half think they've heard of (so it must be good value right?).

Edited by Pick of Penang

I never understood how the food court in Jungceylon did any business at all. Substandard food at twice the price (or more) of much better eateries outside of the mall, or even similar food courts at Tesco and Big C in Phuket Town. When they re-opened after renovating, it seemed like they raised the prices even more. Any time I've walked past, there's never been more than a handful of customers.

The last couple of weeks, I've noticed quite a few tourists carrying bags from places like the ridiculously overpriced SportsWorld heading back to the cruise ships. Big C continues to do well in the Chinese seaweed, dried fruit and spice packet trade, while the neighboring "boutique" stores appear to be dying on the vine.

I also noticed that now both of the facial spa places in the same building as Big C have closed. There always seemed to be a price war going on between the two of them, and the one that was always cheaper closed first, followed by the other one, which looks to be part of the Patong spa empire that started on the 2nd floor (over McD's), and has rapidly expanded into other locations around town.

I never understood how the food court in Jungceylon did any business at all. Substandard food at twice the price (or more) of much better eateries outside of the mall, or even similar food courts at Tesco and Big C in Phuket Town. When they re-opened after renovating, it seemed like they raised the prices even more. Any time I've walked past, there's never been more than a handful of customers.

<snip>

And that food court in Jungceylon is not easy to find. Years ago I set out to check it out, took ages to find it tucked away in a back area of the basement. Very little food choise, poor service, looks dirty/untidy. I don't know anyone who uses it.

Can't compare to BigC in town, Lotus, and even Central which is not so good in my opinion.

<snip>

And that food court in Jungceylon is not easy to find. Years ago I set out to check it out, took ages to find it tucked away in a back area of the basement. Very little food choise, poor service, looks dirty/untidy. I don't know anyone who uses it.

Can't compare to BigC in town, Lotus, and even Central which is not so good in my opinion.

They renovated and cleaned it up. It actually looks okay. Food is still a bit pricey and average at best.

<snip>

Since they did the refurb you can't miss it anymore. Starting from november there were never less then 20-30 customers at midday when i was there. Obviously the chinese enjoy it.

If i go to the food court i have no time and mood for a longer lunch.

Sure it's too expensive for what they offer and some stalls have low level food but some like the noodle guy, last stall on the left, offer good and tasty noodles Phuket style.

Big advantage is you get your food in max. 1-5 min, aircon and no walking distance.

I'm open for better options around 100m from Jungceylon, so i don't have the parking hassle. Aircon and nearly no waiting time is a must. Any suggestions?

Edited by schlog

Is the "Full Moon Brewwork" stil in operation in Jungceylon?

Yes. Owner must have other sources of income because this place is dead. Always is.

Maybe also one of the big Patong washing maschines.

Do they also have the promo, buy for 1000 bath and get bill with your name for 5000 bath and pay only 500 bath?

Underestimation and greedy. The chinese hordes will do the rest.

<snip>

Since they did the refurb you can't miss it anymore. Starting from november there were never less then 20-30 customers at midday when i was there. Obviously the chinese enjoy it.

If i go to the food court i have no time and mood for a longer lunch.

Sure it's too expensive for what they offer and some stalls have low level food but some like the noodle guy, last stall on the left, offer good and tasty noodles Phuket style.

Big advantage is you get your food in max. 1-5 min, aircon and no walking distance.

I'm open for better options around 100m from Jungceylon, so i don't have the parking hassle. Aircon and nearly no waiting time is a must. Any suggestions?

The promenade opposite Jungceylon has a good food court on the top floor, above kids club.

I go for the dim sum when my kids are down stairs running wild.

The promenade opposite Jungceylon has a good food court on the top floor, above kids club.

I go for the dim sum when my kids are down stairs running wild.

Yup dim sum is good. Also there the guy in the first left stall know how to cook a tasty gaenggai.

Is the "Full Moon Brewwork" stil in operation in Jungceylon?

Yes. Owner must have other sources of income because this place is dead. Always is.
I went there today. First time in 3 years. Before it was mostly inside and looked more like a trad pub. Beer was good though.

Now more semi open air and less comfortable. With wood painted like aluminium furniture. Happy Hour at 5pm is 100 baht pint of draught. Tried the Amdaman Ale. Cloudy, sour, undrinkable. Waitress tried to tell me no problem. I said no way does good draught beer look, smell and taste like that.

Changed it for the Phuket Lager. Same. Cloudy, sour. Slightly more drinkable. Just. Paid the 100 baht and left. Won't be going back. 100 baht cheap for beer. Pricey for p#55.

Clearly some staff have no idea about what they sell, or hope the customer doesn't. Far from unique to this bar. I've had places try to fob me off with spoiled / vinegared wine and stale / sour beer all over. Even high end places who should know better and take more care. Still, I guess customers who don't know and just drink it is a more profitable way of doing business than operating good quality control at point of service. TIT I suppose.

Sent using Tapatalk

Edited by Pick of Penang

The worst ever was an extremely sour shot of sake I ordered from a pricy place in Chiang Mai. Presented with flourish in a shot glass on ice inside a Masu. Undrinkable because the bottle was stored ON TOP OF A PIZZA OVEN at high tenperature for months. Servers "mai phen rai" but manager agreed to strike from bill.

patong is dead? I m not surprised. Pattaya is dead too.

Patong certainly is dead, especially when in past years, at this time of the year, it would be packed.

That certainly isn't the case in Jungceylon or its environs and once upon a time at about mid-afternoon you would find a few farangs (sad sacks perhaps) sitting in bars in Bangla Road, but now they are just about devoid of any punters whatsoever.

I ventured out to Bangla a few nights ago and despite parts of Bangla Road being fairly crowded, the bottom part towards the beach was pretty sparsely populated apart from a line of "ping-pong" touts stretching from one side of the road to the other, all brandishing their little placards and hoping to catch farangs walking up from the beach.

Two policemen walking up from the beach ignored these people and walked straight by them.........so much for law enforcement!

A sure sign of the times – – half of the bars in Tiger (resurrected Tiger) were empty and a previous bar owner there tells me that at least six owners will not be renewing their leases when they run out shortly. Almost the same story at the back of the other Tiger with a few totally unoccupied bars and a few bars just about devoid of farangs. I also noticed three bars in that complex are advertised for sale in the Phuket Gazette and it wouldn't surprise me to see more come on the market.

Soi Sea Dragon bars are struggling as well (apart from the one fronting Bangla which seems to do okay) by the looks of the amount of drinkers in the bar and also by the amount of touts outside of the go-go bars trying to entice/force you into one, giving the impression of desperate times.

A few more small shops have closed at the northern end of Nanai Road, just before the abandoned "The Park" condominium fiasco and in general life in Nanai as regards small shops and bars look pretty grim.

Still, life goes on for us long-term expats and provided the place doesn't fall into wrack and ruin (too late I hear you say) and there is still some enjoyment to the place, then I'm happy to stay.

patong is dead? I m not surprised. Pattaya is dead too.

Patong certainly is dead, especially when in past years, at this time of the year, it would be packed.

That certainly isn't the case in Jungceylon or its environs and once upon a time at about mid-afternoon you would find a few farangs (sad sacks perhaps) sitting in bars in Bangla Road, but now they are just about devoid of any punters whatsoever.

I ventured out to Bangla a few nights ago and despite parts of Bangla Road being fairly crowded, the bottom part towards the beach was pretty sparsely populated apart from a line of "ping-pong" touts stretching from one side of the road to the other, all brandishing their little placards and hoping to catch farangs walking up from the beach.

Two policemen walking up from the beach ignored these people and walked straight by them.........so much for law enforcement!

A sure sign of the times – – half of the bars in Tiger (resurrected Tiger) were empty and a previous bar owner there tells me that at least six owners will not be renewing their leases when they run out shortly. Almost the same story at the back of the other Tiger with a few totally unoccupied bars and a few bars just about devoid of farangs. I also noticed three bars in that complex are advertised for sale in the Phuket Gazette and it wouldn't surprise me to see more come on the market.

Soi Sea Dragon bars are struggling as well (apart from the one fronting Bangla which seems to do okay) by the looks of the amount of drinkers in the bar and also by the amount of touts outside of the go-go bars trying to entice/force you into one, giving the impression of desperate times.

A few more small shops have closed at the northern end of Nanai Road, just before the abandoned "The Park" condominium fiasco and in general life in Nanai as regards small shops and bars look pretty grim.

Still, life goes on for us long-term expats and provided the place doesn't fall into wrack and ruin (too late I hear you say) and there is still some enjoyment to the place, then I'm happy to stay.

Agree....my girl has a hair shop on Nanai and its struggling this year. Last year GREAT this year POOR

Saw an article in another publication stating hotel occupancy rate in Phuket is set to reach 90% for New year's.

Don' t know if I can post the link.

SO I did a cursory search on Agoda for a one week stay beginning tonight. Occupancy is hovering around 63%, Payong is about 61%. Your results may vary.

As an aside, I receive postings from Phuket Sale and Rent in my RSS feed. I'm seeing 2-3 per day for immediate occupancy (i.e. vacant) all over the island, from studios to full blown villas.

Occupancy is hovering around 63%, Patong is about 61%. Your results may vary.

Indeed, results may vary. I'm running at 100% occupancy smile.png

Likely my logic is faulty. I simply divided the number of hotels with rooms available by the total number of hotels. I suppose they could ALL be at 90% occupancy, but still have a couple of rooms vacant. I am super glad Simon, you are doing well. And I wish all the falangs who have invested in Phuket do well.thumbsup.gif

Occupancy is hovering around 63%, Patong is about 61%. Your results may vary.

Indeed, results may vary. I'm running at 100% occupancy smile.png

Likely my logic is faulty. I simply divided the number of hotels with rooms available by the total number of hotels. I suppose they could ALL be at 90% occupancy, but still have a couple of rooms vacant. I am super glad Simon, you are doing well. And I wish all the falangs who have invested in Phuket do well.thumbsup.gif

My understanding is, Simon's hotel caters for tourists who don't actually stay on Phuket, except for one night for a late night arrival flight, or an early morning departure flight.

It appears, Simon's profiting from Phuket's poor reputation. :)

"I wish all the falangs who have invested in Phuket do well." - I also wish those in business here well, of course, there is some self interest for this, because I live here.

The problem for those in business here is they are are constantly being undermined by the corruption in relation to critical infrastructure, higher and higher rents by greedy Thai landlords, and the mafia controlled essential service, transport.

All of which, no longer make Phuket an attractive proposition to the western market for a value for money and relaxing holiday with good facilities and services.

Saw an article in another publication stating hotel occupancy rate in Phuket is set to reach 90% for New year's.

Don' t know if I can post the link.

SO I did a cursory search on Agoda for a one week stay beginning tonight. Occupancy is hovering around 63%, Payong is about 61%. Your results may vary.

As an aside, I receive postings from Phuket Sale and Rent in my RSS feed. I'm seeing 2-3 per day for immediate occupancy (i.e. vacant) all over the island, from studios to full blown villas.

Apart from poor construction methods and materials, and the foreign ownership of land laws in Thailand, there's not much wrong with these properties. :)

It's what awaits the owner / tenant, as soon as they walk out their front door, that is the problem.