Patong is dead.

hansgruber

On 05/11/2016 at 9:26 PM, Lashay said:

Aussie bar has whole of gonzo now, rumor is basically for free under some type of profit sharing as land owners could find no real buyers at price they wanted. 

They have cut out half of Aussie ground floor to open up soi and put in two smaller bars.

Last I heard due to be ready for high season.

"basically for free under some type of profit sharing" - and if there is no profit to share????

As mentioned previously, anyone paying "key money" now is crazy. 

If what you say is true, it appears some Thai landlords may now be happy to issue some form of "care taker lease" just to keep their premises open and earning something, rather than nothing. 

The problem with this is, if you have an established business here, your "new" competition, who now has substantially less rent to pay every month, can under cut you in prices.  

How times have changed, yet, authorities here still do not address the issues that are causing such a rapid and sharp decline in the western tourist market on Phuket.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 05/11/2016 at 11:24 PM, GiantFan said:

Gonzo was offered and name changed to Soi St#ve.  He wasn't interested.  Don't forget, ex mayor family screw#d a few Belgian expats years ago with Hollywood.   Wouldn't build the stairs to go to 2nd floor.

Prab isn't his Dad obviously.  Seems risky.

So who has redeveloped it, and why would they, when there are soooo many vacant bars on Bangla?

23 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Interesting considering he reckons his profits have been down by about 60 % over the last couple of months, or did a 'mate' tell you this?

The soi has been redeveloped. 

Someone, or a company, has done it.  I don't know who has done it.

I was simply told by an acquaintance "The Aussie Bar bought it."

Then, I thought about their level 2 extensions and considered what I was told may be possible.

Feel free to confirm, or deny, and state why.

On 05/11/2016 at 11:30 PM, DrDave said:

There's the possibility that the family is cash strapped at the moment.

Paradise Beach may not be generating the anticipated profits, and was certainly not helped by the cancellation of the full-moon parties due to the mourning period. Other family businesses may have taken a hit this low season as well.

Construction of their 5-years-in-the-making-and-still-not-finished resort seems to have all but stopped again.

"There's the possibility that the family is cash strapped at the moment." - I doubt they are "cash strapped" but would not doubt they have seen a reduction in "cash flow" in the last 12 months to 2 years.  

13 hours ago, madmax2 said:

The owner of the aussie bar and the Thai owner of the land and premises there were partners when the business was first established after the tsumani

If that's the case, there may be some truth to The Aussie Bar having an interest in the redevelopment of the soi.

Well, perhaps things are picking up bit............

Bangla Road at 8:30 p.m. on Saturday night was busy and even at that time Tao bar had a dozen people in it or so, New York was busy and Monsoon was humming and a lady I know who went to Illuzion said that it was absolutely packed and there was hardly room to stand!!

Don't know if you can say that high season has started early, but as an example the restaurants in Soi Patong Resort were fairly busy, with the three Italian restaurants and the pseudo-Italian-Thai restaurant all being fairly well populated and in addition, what used to be Boogaloo bar also had about 10 punters in it, when you would normally only see that over the course of several days.

As the evening wore on Bangla Road was still busy, probably more so than I have seen since the end of the last high season and the bars had a fair smattering of punters in them. Smiley bar was just about packed by 10:15 p.m. and they had a couple of good hours like that, however the fact that they are not allowed to put their chairs outside on the pavement (again, and yet again) means that the people have to crowd in and most thought it was great, with quite a bit of dancing going on.

Soi Freedom was also busier than it has been for many months so that would please many of the bar owners and as someone else commented, the owner of Island Bar has "bought" the bar opposite and although it had a few punters in it, it has yet to hit its straps. Having said that there were still a few bars which had poor custom.

Looked into what used to be Soi Easy and once you get past the girls on the poles (and very little drinking space I may add) there are a few bars inside, and down the very end lots of closed bars/or bars which had never opened, so why anybody would consider opening up Gonzo again when there were about eight bars empty in that little Soi, plus empty ones in resurrected Tiger as well as empty ones in new Tiger, really does beggar belief.

As I have mentioned before, if you take a look at the age of the customers then it becomes pretty clear, and then if you match that with the age of the customers in the likes of Monsoon, New York and Illuzion, then it becomes even clearer that the demographics have changed and this place is becoming a destination for the younger set and the days of the "bar mongerer" (not that I like that term particularly) coming in any great numbers, could basically be over?

Bangla, and all of Patong for that matter, are currently in a holding pattern.  Unfortunatly that pattern consists of downward spirals that will, in due course, result in a spectacular crash and burn.

The fundamental problem is that there needs to be significant "product offering" innovation now that the middle age first world monger customers, western families, sunbaking scandis, and backpackers of old are now heading to VN, Laos, and Cambo.   Better cleaner beaches, nicer girls, and less visible tourist violence, scams, and safety issues.

The Tuk Tuk mafia heir apparent and his family realise this and have tried some misguided chinese shopping outlet projects but they are destined to failure.  Firstly because there is less room for corruption with shopping malls, secondly because the Chinese are already starting to shun Phuket now that the many personal safety, and other pitfalls, of Phuket are now visible on the Chinese internet (You will recall that I predicted this a few years back when I observed that the only reason that the Chinese were still coming to Phuket is that they didn't have access to google, trip advisor and other mainstream internet back home), and thirdly, starry eyed punters in love with a bargirl part with serious keymoney cash because they think that anyone can run a bar and that it comes with sexual perks.   They aren't likely to part with a chunk of keymoney to run a handbag shop.  

So now let's get to heart of the problem.  There is dire need for innovation in Bangla, but (sucessful) innovation in Thailand most often comes from foreigners (and then if successful Thais quickly jump on the band wagon...and if possible bully the original innovator out of his business).  A good recent example is what happened to Simon43 with his airport hotel. 

And therein lies the rub, there are no new foreigners (capable ones with capital) willing to start up in Phuket, thus there is no innovation.

Phuket is done for.  Local Thais hold the deluded dream that it will become Singapore, but Singapore has rule of law and great public transport.

As I also predicted a long time ago, there will be no innovation to take Phuket to its next level, instead what will happen is the corrupt denizens will continue to fed on themselves, as less and less new tourist victims arrive.  Years ago I predicted an increase in drug problems, violent crime against foreigners, and turf wars between competing tuk tuk mafia factions.  I was laughed at by other members and LIK deleted most of my posts.   But no one is laughing now are they?

Get out while the getting is good.  Easy for those such as NKM that don't have skin in the game.  More problematic for Old Croc, LIK and others who bought giant barrels of Phuket cool aid.

Edited by Bulldozer Dawn

10 minutes ago, Bulldozer Dawn said:

<snip>

So now let's get to heart of the problem.  There is dire need for innovation in Bangla, but (sucessful) innovation in Thailand only ever comes from foreigners (and then if successful Thais quickly jump on the band wagon...and if possible bully the original innovator out of his business).  A good recent example is what happened to Simon43 with his airport hotel. 

Did Simon really get bullied out of his small hotel ? I thought he just sold up for personal reasons.

You would make a much better argument by referring to the farang guy how started the Shark Club at the corner of bangla and Rat-u-Tit. Huge sucess quite a lot of years ago, so much success that he was run out of town and Thais took over (and ruined) the club.

6 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Did Simon really get bullied out of his small hotel ? I thought he just sold up for personal reasons.

You would make a much better argument by referring to the farang guy how started the Shark Club at the corner of bangla and Rat-u-Tit. Huge sucess quite a lot of years ago, so much success that he was run out of town and Thais took over (and ruined) the club.

Well aware of the Shark and what happened to the owner (a friend of mine).   Simon's situation is a more recent example that is well reported in these forums.

You need to read up on Simon's threads.  His hotel was essentially stolen from him under threat of violence, with police (well known to him) flatly refusing to intervene.  He is currently in Myanmar (for work and to ensure his personal safety).

Edited by Bulldozer Dawn

16 minutes ago, Bulldozer Dawn said:

<snip>

Get out will the getting is good.  Easy for those such as NKM that don't have skin in the game.  More problematic for Old Croc, LIK and others who bought giant barrels of Phuket cool aid.

Since you mentioned my handle then I must respond. I bought into Patong 20 years ago, there was no cool aid involved. I made all my investment money back ... and multiple times.  I am very well satisfied with my Patong investments. Would I do it today or even 10 years ago ... no way. 10 years ago I never reinvested in Thailand, I took all profits out each month and invested in financial funds outside Thailand. For sure funds do not offer big percentages, and are subject to market fluctuations. But at least I don't have to fill our Patong apartments to make a good living .... and the money is outside Thailand. 

LIK

And what will be the purpose, and value of your apartments if they lie empty in the future.

Passive income from managed funds and ETFs is nice, but what of the opportunity cost of all of your capital tied up in non productive Patong real estate?

The key to successful investment is the timely movement of capital.  How is it possible for you to move your capital out of your Patong investments if need be?

18 minutes ago, Bulldozer Dawn said:

LIK

And what will be the purpose, and value of your apartments if they lie empty in the future.

Passive income from managed funds and ETFs is nice, but what of the opportunity cost of all of your capital tied up in non productive Patong real estate?

The key to successful investment is the timely movement of capital.  How is it possible for you to move your capital out of your Patong investments if need be?

You make me laugh .... as NKM shouts from the roof tops we farangs own no property in Thailand. No one is more aware of that than me. I long time ago moved my EARNED capital out of Thailand.  The properties are dead weight to me and essential are owned by my wife. I already made my money. My wife's properties could be closed up tomorrow and left empty. Less hassle for me .... We (wife and I) will be more than fine for the rest of our lives. I'll laugh from my grave (correction ... my urn) as the Thai relatives fight over the property when my wife passes  .... likely even before she passes.

But perhaps we are going off the topic ....  and I loudly bring back to topic that PATONG IS DEAD

Edited by LivinginKata

Did Simon really get bullied out of his small hotel ?

No, not bullied, threatened with death by several local drug dealers who were under the impression that I had shopped them up to the main police in Phuket.

The wonderful local police at Saku sided with the instigator of this ruse and ordered me out of my hotel under threat of arrest etc.

I just got tired of all of this bullsh*t.  I left Thailand to work in Myanmar, (where I previously and happily worked some years ago).  I'm writing this post whilst sitting by the pool at the 4-star hotel where my employer pays for me to reside :)

Putting my personal problems aside, I have to agree with a lot of what Bulldozer Dawn has said.  I cannot see any positive future for Phuket; it had countless opportunities to 'rescue' itself, but choose greed and corruption over common sense and long-term planning.

I speak daily to my 2 ex-wives in Phuket - they are both keen to sell their small hotels and leave Phuket because they can see the writing on the wall.

1 minute ago, simon43 said:

No, not bullied, threatened with death by several local drug dealers who were under the impression that I had shopped them up to the main police in Phuket.

The wonderful local police at Saku sided with the instigator of this ruse and ordered me out of my hotel under threat of arrest etc.

I just got tired of all of this bullsh*t.  I left Thailand to work in Myanmar, (where I previously and happily worked some years ago).  I'm writing this post whilst sitting by the pool at the 4-star hotel where my employer pays for me to reside :)

Putting my personal problems aside, I have to agree with a lot of what Bulldozer Dawn has said.  I cannot see any positive future for Phuket; it had countless opportunities to 'rescue' itself, but choose greed and corruption over common sense and long-term planning.

I speak daily to my 2 ex-wives in Phuket - they are both keen to sell their small hotels and leave Phuket because they can see the writing on the wall.

Sorry to hear that Simon.  Did not realise it was all that serious other than your usual difficulties with various wives/business partners with many hotel ventures. Plus your high profile with tourist police. I've obviously had an easy ride in Phuket business, mind you I kept ultra low profile, paid my taxes, filled in all the forms every year for Immigration, Labour Office,  Tax Office, Municipal Office. My Thai wife does the up front stuff, I stay in back ground. Each year I go through the tortures of Immigration extension and renew work permit. Not sure I want to endure this much longer. 

An off topic post has been removed from view, please stick to the topic.

The next post violating forum rules will earn that member a posting holiday.

Posting Content & General Conduct

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

11 hours ago, Bulldozer Dawn said:

Get out while the getting is good.  Easy for those such as NKM that don't have skin in the game.  More problematic for Old Croc, LIK and others who bought giant barrels of Phuket cool aid.

Perhaps you should change your name to Trump. You make up things and even convince yourself they're true.  A classic sociopath!

Some facts:  I am here as a retiree, my investment money is all safely in Australia, apart from a couple of million baht in the bank here for Immigration and contingencies. I draw my income from Australia.

My situation is no more problematic than yours.

The house here is in my wife's name and, like you, I also have a lifetime  usufruct annotated on the chanote.  (Unlike you, I had a lawyer do this because I can afford it)

I have never worked, nor had any business interests in Thailand, but my lady still has a small massage shop in Patong that mostly loses money. She doesn't work in it, she has an onsite manager. She insists on keeping it going against my wishes.

I am richer now than when I arrived here through judicious investments elsewhere and exchange rates .

I suggest you stop inventing crap about other members here and concentrate on your own miserable life!

Edited by Old Croc

Of course, if you have no business interests in Patong, and you have a relatively secure income from elsewhere, there is no underlying reason why you should leave Phuket, apart from the gradual erosion of your quality of life.

By QoL, I include the inadequate infrastructure (roads, sewerage treatment etc) on the island.  QoL also includes your personal safety, which I believe has declined, since many people no longer have sufficient income or employment, and turn to petty crime to make ends meet. With many businesses and restaurants closing, your opportunities for relaxing and down-time entertainment are greatly reduced.

As the island degrades, so other locations become more attractive as a place for retirement or relaxation.

The path in which Patong and the whole island are heading, will only cause more businesses to fail, will reduce the number of foreign tourists, will encourage expats to move elsewhere.

Now, I'm not going to offer the names of alternative places to live or visit - there don't seem to be that many in Asia (because they too, have/are being destroyed by greed and corrupt government policies).  Possibly some of the beach destinations in Vietnam?

Whatever, if you think that there is a decent future for Patong and the island, then you're akin to a frog being slow-boiled in hot water.

Edited by simon43

This post will touch on some things raised by members in recent posts.

"Easy for those such as NKM that don't have skin in the game." - it's true, I don't have any "skin" in the game, and by choice.

Thailand is a politically unstable, 3rd World country, where Foreign Nationals can not own land 100% in their name, and does not offer "genuinely obtainable" permanent residency to foreigners.  We are all living here on permission that is granted by a sticker in our passports, which could be revoked for the individual, or for the masses, at any time.    

In my opinion, the "rent is dead money" argument is not applicable in Thailand, especially when the capital can earn more than the cost of rent here.

A common theme to property purchases in Thailand, in relation to ownership, is the "when I'm dead the missus can have it" belief.  Whilst it's not my business if the "missus" is a former prostitute, perhaps originally from Issan, statistically, most partners of foreigners here are not from Phuket.  So, when the foreigner dies, the property is sold, and the lady returns to her family in whatever part of Thailand she came from. 

The Phuket property is viewed as the partner's pension / investment / retirement fund.  The problem with this strategy now is, property is not moving on Phuket - nothing is selling here.  There have been properties on the market here for years, and not because they are unreasonably priced, but because Phuket is not as desirable to live on these days.   In many of these cases, the foreigners would be leaving an expense, rather than a windfall. 

The property market is all about the timing - "buy in the gloom - sell in the boom."  Does anyone seriously see any "boom" days for Phuket, in the future????  Even the "boom boom" is not selling here these days, as the western tourist market shuns Phuket for other destinations.

If you have property here now, you are stuck with it.  This is not a problem for many foreigners, because their plan was always to die in their current property, but, what are you leaving the missus?  In your home country, you would probably be leaving an asset of some worth to family, but I suggest, that's not the case here.   

I chose to rent here, which is a living expense.  It comes with the benefits of being able to move next month, should I want to / need to.  Property depreciation, due to oversupply of property on the market, doesn't effect me.  I do not have any maintenance expenses, something quite important because construction materials and stardards are low here.  I do not have any insurance expenses. Planning laws are not relevant to me.  Visa laws are less of a concern because should I be locked out of the country, I can just go.  When I die, my children receive their share of the capital, not a property on Phuket that will be problematic to liquidate, if it can be sold at all.

It's certainly a renters market here now.  Actually, many landlords are desperate for a tenant, and more than willing to negotiate.  What does this say about the ratio of renters to buyers here?

Many property owners will say these things do not concern them either, but as mentioned, when they pass away, they will be leaving the problem to someone else.  I do not want to leave such a problem to my children.  

I agree that Phuket lacks "innovation."  The same scams. overcharging, extortion, and corruption still continues, despite the competition rising up in neighboring destinations for the tourist's money. 

The same old Phuket brand is still being offered to tourists, but with less service, and at higher prices. and in a less desirable location.  A recipe for an economy downturn, and this can be seen with the businesses that are closing here.

It takes more than a press release to attract "high end" tourists.  There has to be corresponding investment in infrastructure, and education and training for those working in the tourism industry.  Phuket sadly lacks this investment, with the island having crumbling infrastructure, and many tourist deaths and injures from lack of safety standards. 

Many Phuket property owners are staunch Phuket loyalists.  When meeting these people, I often ask where else have they been to in Thailand, and the region.  Many have been nowhere of any consequence, and spent very little time outside of Phuket. 

As Simon alludes to, they have built / bought their castle in what is slowly becoming an urban slum around them, with decreasing goods and services options, particularly in relation to hospitality.

I have no doubt that many would like to move, but can't sell their property in order to do so. 

If we look at all the property for sale by foreigners on Phuket, I would suggest most want to leave Phuket, if they haven't already.  I doubt they are upgrading, or downsizing, and remaining on Phuket.  I know this to be the case with my foreign landlord. 

With so many unsold properties on the market here, what do they do - build more.  More and more competition coming onto the market for the few buyers that do exist.

I am not criticizing those foreigners who bought property here - each to their own.  However, I would strong disagree if you believe your property is appreciating in value, due to Phuket remaining a desirable location, and the property is of high quality and easily liquidated.

Edited by NamKangMan

2 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

<snip>

I am not criticizing those foreigners who bought property here - each to their own.  However, I would strong disagree if you believe your property is appreciating in value, due to Phuket remaining a desirable location, and the property is of high quality and easily liquidated.

I am in complete agreement with you NKM.  For quite some years property has been depreciating and not easily liquidated except by fire sale.  Don't think there are many foreigners who think other wise.

On 13/11/2016 at 6:09 PM, LivinginKata said:

I am in complete agreement with you NKM.  For quite some years property has been depreciating and not easily liquidated except by fire sale.  Don't think there are many foreigners who think other wise.

So, what will be their legacy to their Thai partners, and what will be their Thai partner's legacy to the Phuket property market, as widows?

On 1/31/2015 at 10:47 AM, pagallim said:

I cycled up to Khao Lak today, and spoke at length with the lady owner of a restaurant that I regularly have a late breakfast at. Bottom line is that things are pretty dire there also, with very, very few people about, and those that are typically spend their time/money in the resorts they are staying, or are on tours (mainly Chinese).

I remember a few comments on a thread some time ago, saying that most of the Euros, particularly those from the Nordic countries, had deserted Phuket for Khao Lak. That doesn't appear to be the case.

Did we not have this posted here before?

On 11/19/2016 at 11:53 PM, GiantFan said:

Soi Sunset update -  Valhalla finally taken down after 10 years.  Also, Shark Bar bar beer that never got completed was also razed and a huge metal "sala" has been erected.  Same footprint and around 25 m high.  No idea what's going on.

Of course with all of the rumours flying around, you never know which one to believe, however I have been told by someone who "should be in the know" that the area around Taipan and back down that Soi is going to be redeveloped and quite possibly a hotel built there, along with a remodelling/extension to Taipan?

As for Bangla, well, I ventured out on the 19th and it was busy and it was much the same as my previous thread with the onus being on the younger set, which wasn't a bad thing because although Smiley Bar was packed to the rafters and the band was louder than normal, making it uncomfortable for some friends, there were some extremely attractive 20-year-old + girls dancing on the small floor space and it was a joy to behold! 

The newly refurbished bar, Red Hot, on the corner of Bangla and Rat-u-Thid was just about full and that age group seemed to be slightly older, mainly because I think the space had been set out in a more orderly fashion, with small tables and chairs, thereby allowing folks to sit and enjoy, rather than being crowded and jostled about the place (as in Monsoon for example).

Soi Freedom was only just okay, customer wise, although I was told that the previous two nights were very busy, so still up and down, but a definite trend upwards according to a bar owner friend. Having said that there were two empty bars, which didn't do the place any favours, and maybe another one on the way because the owner has been asked to leave through non-payment of rent.

On that note, I do believe that this will be a make or break season for many and obviously the three bars mentioned above, just couldn't hold on any more.

Bangla was still busy when I decided to head home at about 1:45 a.m. and what was most surprising, even given the rain, was that there were long queues outside of the entrance to Illuzion – – queueing in the rain to get into that place would not be my idea of fun, but there again I'm not young anymore!

So things seem to be in the ascendance regarding the goings-on in Bangla, however I think it's still patchy because the older bar set are now on the decline meaning that many of the plain beer bars have been struggling, are struggling and probably will continue to struggle, whereas the live band and nightclubs/discos seem to be thriving.

Well, where to start…………..

Was caught out in the heavy rainfall on Wednesday morning and found that, even with my little car, some of the roads were just about impassable, not only because of the depth of the water but because of the torrents which were flowing into it.

As is the normal level of common sense here, most of the drains were blocked and water and sewerage was flowing out into the roads, and to compound this, the very large pump which was installed next to Patong Hospital was in full flow, pumping water from the klong onto the road which was then flowing down to Rat-u-Thid Road compounding the flooding and holding up the traffic.

All in all I was stuck for 45 minutes trying to find a way out of this, however once the one-way system gets clogged, there is no other means of getting out of it. Typical of this place and all of this “crap” is a result of no town planning, greed and corruption and it hasn’t changed in the 10 years I’ve been here, probably gotten worse in retrospect.

Of course, by mid-afternoon, all this had cleared and the skies looked ready to stay that way and I planned a night out on Bangla to celebrate my birthday with friends.

Ate at “Higher” restaurant and although the food was excellent, as was the service, what I couldn’t comprehend was the fact that there was a DJ of sorts playing music which was far too loud for a restaurant, so this resulted in friends round the table having to shout at one another to make themselves heard.

In actual fact, this happened the last time I was there and I did mention this to the manager, so the music was turned down a little. What I cannot understand is why something like this is needed because I have never seen anyone dancing in the space which constitutes a “dancefloor”, and even if people did want to dance, surely it would be best to have some music a little later in the evening rather than forcing people to eat with music blaring out, which in my opinion is an absolute no-no.

For me dinner with friends is about good food, great service, great atmosphere and being able to converse – – the last being just about impossible here. I will put up with this one more time to see if it changes, and if it doesn’t then that restaurant is off my list.

Then onto Bangla which was much quieter than on my last two visits – – don’t ask me why, but that seems to be the nature of the beast these days. Tao bar was just about empty for most of the evening, Smiley Bar which was packed to the rafters last time I visited, was about 30% full for most of the evening and Soi freedom was struggling with lack of punters, especially down towards the band.

My bar owner friend told me that after some good days last week and the week before, it was very much hit and miss now.

A friend went to meet a relative of his in the bar on the corner of Bangla and Soi Easy (called Honky Tonk Bar, I think). It is a bar I shall never go back to because the woman serving behind the bar actually asked for a drink when handing me a beer, which by the way was bought by a friend, then one of the wait staff who had never spoken to me came up to me and motioned to her mouth, wanting me to buy her a drink, as did one other whilst I was there. No thank you very much, first visit, last visit.

We took a look at the back of what used to be the old Soi Easy and it was empty and dead, so this brings me back to why anybody would want to build more bars, especially like those which have been constructed behind the Aussie bar in what used to be Soi Gonzo, which died a death over many years through lack of business?

It looks as if high season has started off with a stutter, which has happened before, however the feeling I get about this year is not a good one – – Patong cannot seem to get much right these days what with unfinished condos and crooked developers; a flooding problem which is never likely to be solved because the underlying infrastructure is doomed to failure; more beer bars being built when the previous clientele no longer visit in the same numbers, resulting in empty beer bars and of those left, most will be losing money; the state of the roads is the poorest I have ever seen it and the one-way system compounds not only this, but also the flooding problem; and if you ever wanted a barometer as to how well the tourist sector is doing, take a look around at the smaller hotels and guest houses and you will find a room for about 500 baht because they are desperate for guests.

Edited by xylophone

I find this gesturing for drinks (pointing at themselves, doing a cheers with an empty hand, motioning up to the mouth as if holding a bottle and holding the parched throat) from cashiers, bar tendees and bar owners is much more prevalent these days and it REALLY grates after a while. Particularly when it happens every time you order. They just don't seem to catch on and have much less chance of me buying them a drink than if they didn't do it.

Quite simply for me, if I have a reason to buy a girl a drink at a bar and if I WANT to do it, I'll buy a drink. Being pestered constantly by bar staff though is a real turn off and you can keep the sulky looks too. It's just as bad if you DO buy whoever (e.g. not the girl you might be chatting to) a drink, as a one-off gesture, that they then do the gesturing thing EVERY other time you order after.

Just part of the ever developing money grabbing trend in Patong IMHO which has got a lot worse over recent years. Kinda turns the thought of a night out on Bangla into an endurance test rather than something to look forward to and enjoy.

Sent using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know about those particular Sois because I don't frequent them, and apart from Paradise, which I'm led to believe has quite a few bars in it, the rest really don't, with Soi Kepsub reportedly being a place where more happy endings can be found, than bars by some huge measure!

Journeyed out last night for the first time for quite a while as still recovering from the effects of some surgery, however decided that cabin fever was taking over and I needed to go out to Bangla.

Caught a motorbike taxi from the end of Nanai and passed the new Dons BBQ which had four people in it, with his adjacent pool tables having only two people playing on them and that was repeated with all of the other bars in Nanai – – just about empty. And it was not just an anomaly, because when I came back past midnight, the same applied, although Dons BBQ was closed!

Heading down Bangla, I felt sorry for the bands who were playing to almost non-existent clients and thought how soul destroying it must be for them. Mind you this was about 8 p.m., so a little early for the hordes to descend upon the place, and although it was a lot better when departing Bangla, it was nowhere near what one would expect in the "high season" or at least on the verge of it.

On my last visit to my favourite Italian restaurant in Soi Patong Beach resort, the place was packed, however this time it was catering for no more than half a dozen people with the other restaurants faring no better and I wondered how it had come to this. The owner told me that it had been quite poor now for some time and he believes that he had "a dream" when his restaurant was packed those weeks ago, and now he had woken up from it!

Spent a couple of hours in Smiley Bar and that was enjoyable, especially as I was able to sing a few songs with the band and got some rapturous applause, with requests to sing many more songs, but the problem being that my repertoire is limited and anyway the band doesn't know many of the songs that I do, so I am also limited in that respect. However after a few beers and offers of many more from admirers, along with a few selfies, I decided to go and explore Sea Dragon.

What was once probably the most crowded of all of the Sois, hasn't been for some time, and certainly wasn't last night. Had a drink with a lady I've known for a few years and she was saying that this is the quietest she'd ever known it, and just about all of her friends are saying that this high season is just not going to eventuate, at least not as it has done previously.

Didn't go to see my bar owner friend in Soi Freedom because I started to feel a bit "rough", however I did peer into the Soi and it seemed much more crowded than the last few times I'd been there, although again, word had it from my bar owner friend that he had been experiencing far too many very poor nights – – the poorest he'd seen it to date.

Headed home about 12:15 a.m. and the motorbike taxi decided to head up Soi Sansabai, which was a real no-no because motorbikes were parked four a-breast in that small Soi making it almost impossible to navigate. That is pure and simple madness (and greed).

There were still a few people eating in the outside area of Banzaan market, however in the actual Soi Banzaan itself there was so much rubbish, plastic containers, plastic bags and other crap littering the place that it was disgusting and it really did make me think of the words of another poster when he commented that Patong was now a "sh1thole" of a place. 

I've never had much time for Soi Kepsup when I was either visiting or when I was living in Phuket.  Massage shops, couple of crap no-life bars and I think De-Lish restaurant (OK but food quality too variable).  Had a bad feeling about how Don's would go following the demolishing of the old (now car park) section and building of the new place.  Seems to have turned out how I expected. 

Bangla lost its appeal for me ages ago with just too little by way of variety other than concrete beer bars and gogos and the places I quite liked to go to (all way outside of Patong) are outside places, crap when it's raining, which can last for days in low season.  Plus, if you don't want to run the gauntlet of police road-blocks, you either have to live out there but then suffer the lack of facilities out in the sticks.

Finally decided I'd had enough of Phuket.  Tried Chiang Mai for a change (too much of a change that one!!!) and after Christmas off to BKK.  The nightlife appeals more there with more variety and while I sometimes miss the feel-good factor of chilling at a beach bar it's not enough of a reason to go back to Patong / Phuket.  Plus of course, Jomtien is easily and cheaply reachable from BKK.

3 hours ago, SooKee said:

I've never had much time for Soi Kepsup when I was either visiting or when I was living in Phuket.  Massage shops, couple of crap no-life bars and I think De-Lish restaurant (OK but food quality too variable).  Had a bad feeling about how Don's would go following the demolishing of the old (now car park) section and building of the new place.  Seems to have turned out how I expected. 

Bangla lost its appeal for me ages ago with just too little by way of variety other than concrete beer bars and gogos and the places I quite liked to go to (all way outside of Patong) are outside places, crap when it's raining, which can last for days in low season.  Plus, if you don't want to run the gauntlet of police road-blocks, you either have to live out there but then suffer the lack of facilities out in the sticks.

Finally decided I'd had enough of Phuket.  Tried Chiang Mai for a change (too much of a change that one!!!) and after Christmas off to BKK.  The nightlife appeals more there with more variety and while I sometimes miss the feel-good factor of chilling at a beach bar it's not enough of a reason to go back to Patong / Phuket.  Plus of course, Jomtien is easily and cheaply reachable from BKK.

Entirely agree with your comments and understand where you're coming from SooKee and the only things that keeps me here are my familiarity with the place, plus a few nice restaurants I frequent and some good friends I have here. In addition I have my Thai "daughter" whom I like to see on a fairly regular basis even though her mother and I split a few years ago.

Don't know where else I would go really although there is some feedback that Siam Reap is worth another look??

As for your statement about, "the feel-good factor of chilling at a beach bar" , I doubt very much whether you would feel that good about things at the moment what with the smoke haze hanging over Phuket and this has been the case for a number of weeks now, with it sometimes being very bad indeed.

Will be interesting to hear where you end up??