Minimalist living in Pattaya

georgegeorgia

Only been here for a short time, about three months, but I cannot wait until my life becomes so mundane and shallow that I will spend a lot of my time and energy posting puerile drivel on a. Non existent subject. Come on guys and girls, when did your life start to be dominated by anonymous postings on a blog site? Was it after 3 months, 6, 9 ? When did the dream go wrong?

You're already here posting and it's only been 3 months.

• Like 1

I'm still waiting (hoping) some people come to grips with the fact that this life isn't a rehearsal, when it's over that's it!. Ok, if someone has to live on a ridiculously tight budget and has no options of rectifying being in that financial position, that's fair enough. But I get the impression there's people doing so that have access to good-living money as some sort of a twisted experiment?. There's people in this thread living on way less than what many of us spend on just groceries or electricity per month!. No thanks.

" Twisted Experiment " .........lol clap2.gif

Only been here for a short time, about three months, but I cannot wait until my life becomes so mundane and shallow that I will spend a lot of my time and energy posting puerile drivel on a. Non existent subject. Come on guys and girls, when did your life start to be dominated by anonymous postings on a blog site? Was it after 3 months, 6, 9 ? When did the dream go wrong?

You're already here posting and it's only been 3 months.

Same as post 235, got an original thought?

There is wisdom from many years ago,

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pound ought and six, result misery.Charles Dickens, David Copperfield, 1849English novelist (1812 - 1870)

... Mr Scrooge comes to Pattaya. Miseryguts the lot of them.

• Like 1

I have been living in Naklua ( Pattaya ) " The Land Of Cheap Living " for a few years now and live on 5,500 Thai Baht every month! ( " Absolutely All In " ) I have a small furnished room with bathroom ( cold water ) and 100 Sat TV Channels ( although i don't watch TV ever! ) and free internet included for a cool 2000 baht a month.I am outside in the sun every day and walk at least 15 KM every day and swim to keep looking fit and healthy! I certainly would not waste money on Baht buses or Motor Bikes! I ride a second hand bicycle with a " street value of 500 baht " but it's all you need! For longer journeys i use the train out of Pattaya train station at least twice a week.( Pattaya to Si Racha is only 5 baht ) I eat to a budget of 80 baht a day and eat only fresh food cooked by myself ( inc daily fresh fruit and vegetables ) i drink 3 litres of water a day and i do NOT drink or smoke! Bars don't excite me ( the last time i visited a bar was in the late 70's )

Thailand offers a fabulous outdoor lifestyle and i spend most afternoons on the beach ( yes more walking! ) swimming.

I hate air con anywhere! and stay away from Shopping centres,cinemas and places with air con as it makes me feel ill and uncomfortable! I have lived a nice life in the 4 years i have lived in Thailand and have travelled and explored a large amount of the country by train and taking photos!

You can live very cheaply in Thailand,what will change your budget is " Booze & Birds " ( i have never had a relationship during my time here in Thailand it's just something that doesn't really interest me.)

God Bless you all viewers!

F.J wai2.gif

your 1. post is confusing, 5500 baht p.month , absolutly all included. then you write, free internet 2000 baht, is that also included? so you have 100 baht per day for everthing, rent, transport, food. i dont believe you.

you said,you explored a large "amount " of the country with less than 200 baht a day, how can you do that? a nationalpark entry alone is twice that much.there are entrance fees everywhere, nong nooch, sanctuary of truth, waterparks, ancient city, do you never go to such places?.

do you take your bicycle with you, when you travel to si racha or maybe ko chang?

visa runs also included in the 5500?. are you buying books or travel to neighbouring countries ?

do you pay rent?

• Like 1

Just to add to this I found his lifestyle uncomfortable.

I went out with him a few times,he preferred to walk or get the baht bus,only paid 10 baht,i cant do that,most times i cant stand around in the heat so just got a motorbike taxi which he was horrified when i told him it cost me 80 baht or so to get into Pattaya.

I just dont have the patience to wait around for baht buses or walk a long way in the heat.

Minimalist lifestyle? hahaha!

code for no money! He paid for his bad decisions of the past. So he is doing what he has to do.

As they say. To each his own.

Ps. why criticize a man who gave you shelter for 150 a night. Are you worse off than your landlord......................hahahaha.

Some oldies care a lot about leaving money to relatives. One of my Grandads more or less aggressively avoided medical care at the end so that all his money would wouldn't be sucked out in his last days. Not for himself but so that there would be something left for his heirs.

My mother 81yo died a few weeks ago from cancer...she refused chemo for 2 reasons firstly it would only prolong her agony and secondly the oncologist wanted money in the thousands.She wasnt willing to part with that.But because the cancer had spread very fast (within a month)it wasnt a cure and there was no guarantees it would even prolong her a few more weeks.We got a 2nd opinion and that Oncologist was more blunt and told her not to waste money on Chemo because it had spread too quick.She bravely chose to let nature take its course as she said to me.

So yes she left it to me which im very grateful for.

Id stay away from pattay. You seem like the kind of person who would waste moms legacy to you on bargirls....................

Right now I'm luxuriating on a big sofa at a favorite cafe. I have a beautiful cup of tea on my table and I've just finished a chocolate roll which the waitress delivers to my table once its been warmed up. The waitress knows my usual so she gets it ready as soon as she sees me, even down to the glass of water with no ice that i like and that i like separate, cold milk. I will sit here for a couple of hours to read the news, do some research, take little breaks to see if I've managed to provoke anyone into funny arguments on Thaivisa. Its certainly a little more expensive than average here, but i still don't mind plonking my change into the tip box. Does all this make me a mindless consumer, a vile and unenlightened maximalist? Maybe, who cares. I like to enjoy my life. Ill leave the penny pinching minimalism to the cheap skates.

Edited by paddyjenkins
  • Like 1

Right now I'm luxuriating on a big sofa at a favorite cafe. I have a beautiful cup of tea on my table and I've just finished a chocolate roll which the waitress delivers to my table once its been warmed up. The waitress knows my usual so she gets it ready as soon as she sees me, even down to the glass of water with no ice that i like and that i like separate, cold milk. I will sit here for a couple of hours to read the news, do some research, take little breaks to see if I've managed to provoke anyone into funny arguments on Thaivisa. Its certainly a little more expensive than average here, but i still don't mind plonking my change into the tip box. Does all this make me a mindless consumer, a vile and unenlightened maximalist? Maybe, who cares. I like to enjoy my life. Ill leave the penny pinching minimalism to the cheap skates.

Paddy, you strike me as a man who is at the top of their game, kudos to you and indeed the 'high fluting' lifestyle you are living. I myself can only aspire to the separate cold milk.

Do you wear leopard skin lookalike thongs on the beach, whilst sipping your cold Asti-Spumante ?

May the seed of your loins be fruitful in the belly of your women. Respect

• Like 1

Paddy, you strike me as a man who is at the top of their game, kudos to you and indeed the 'high fluting' lifestyle you are living. I myself can only aspire to the separate cold milk.

Do you wear leopard skin lookalike thongs on the beach, whilst sipping your cold Asti-Spumante ?

May the seed of your loins be fruitful in the belly of your women. Respect

I too aspire to make it in this life as far as Starbucks at Central. Right now I look at these wealthy people lounging on sofas there like a hungry boy in Charles Dickens novel describing London of 19th century.

And the milk thing! I had NO idea!

I can only dream of lifestyle of the rich and famous who spend their time in Starbucks! Maybe one day.. until then, I can dream !!

canned tuna, fruit and recycled tea bags is a good existence?

I would doubt if even the most hardened 'minimalist' lived on recycled teabags. Actually one of the pleasantries of the latter half of afternoon is a cup of tea from the one of the bicycle tea ladies on Beach Road for the princely sum of 10 baht. One time she mistakenly served me tea with milk (powdered) and gave me a new cup and no, didn't recycle the first bag. As for canned tuna it can be a little bland but not the worst thing to eat in the world.

I read somewhere that best people to hang out with are the very rich, and very poor, they have no need to prove anything. Nothing worse than this upper middle class with soo much to prove, constantly seeking validation and desperately falling over to have bigger house, nicer car, and as it turns out - separate milk!

I guess Paddy you are getting free WiFi so good thinking and free air conditioning.

I'm pretty sure that rich people pays for wifi even tho it is free, just to make a point! In case of Starbucks, it isn't free, it is 300b a months, but truly well off pay 600b voluntarily, again, to make a point! There s simply no other way to separate themselves from commoners!

I read somewhere that best people to hang out with are the very rich, and very poor, they have no need to prove anything. Nothing worse than this upper middle class with soo much to prove, constantly seeking validation and desperately falling over to have bigger house, nicer car, and as it turns out - separate milk!

Those of refined tastes would always choose an establishment serving milk separately. over one which didn't. The alternative is unthinkable.

• Like 1

I would doubt if even the most hardened 'minimalist' lived on recycled teabags. Actually one of the pleasantries of the latter half of afternoon is a cup of tea from the one of the bicycle tea ladies on Beach Road for the princely sum of 10 baht. One time she mistakenly served me tea with milk (powdered) and gave me a new cup and no, didn't recycle the first bag. As for canned tuna it can be a little bland but not the worst thing to eat in the world.

I don't recycle tea bags, but find one bag can easily make two mugs of tea.

Seems foolish to waste them.

Not keen on canned tuna, but the tins of mackerel are quite good on a slice of toast.

As for fruit, I personally can't find any fault with people who eat fruit, fresh, canned or jammed.

Those of refined tastes would always choose an establishment serving milk separately. over one which didn't. The alternative is unthinkable.

no no no! This isn't about refined taste at all! This is about rich people being better than poor people, I follow this thread closely, and I'm sure that's what well off people here are telling to dirt poor minimalists here. No?

Milk in tea, by the god Zeus, what manner of creature drinks tea with anything except maybe a little twist of lemon?

May the spirit of Darjeeling be with you my uncouth friend.

• Like 1

I guess Paddy you are getting free WiFi so good thinking and free air conditioning.

No, i sit outside so i do not avail myself of the free air conditioning, but i do sometimes use their free wifi, in fact they try to insist on that. Actually, they offer not only their own wifi, but that of the restaurant next door, which is under the same ownership.

Yes i use the tea bag more than once !!

Im sure a lot of other people do too !

As for the tuna...I really love the tuna and biscuit pack you can buy from the supermarket 36 baht...makes a healthy and nutritious meal !!

Edited by georgegeorgia

I'm pretty sure that rich people pays for wifi even tho it is free, just to make a point! In case of Starbucks, it isn't free, it is 300b a months, but truly well off pay 600b voluntarily, again, to make a point! There s simply no other way to separate themselves from commoners!

I had no idea Starbucks charge for their WiFi .. Wow 300 baht a month seems high.

There are many free places including mcdonalds.

I have been living in Naklua ( Pattaya ) " The Land Of Cheap Living " for a few years now and live on 5,500 Thai Baht every month! ( " Absolutely All In " ) I have a small furnished room with bathroom ( cold water ) and 100 Sat TV Channels ( although i don't watch TV ever! ) and free internet included for a cool 2000 baht a month.I am outside in the sun every day and walk at least 15 KM every day and swim to keep looking fit and healthy! I certainly would not waste money on Baht buses or Motor Bikes! I ride a second hand bicycle with a " street value of 500 baht " but it's all you need! For longer journeys i use the train out of Pattaya train station at least twice a week.( Pattaya to Si Racha is only 5 baht ) I eat to a budget of 80 baht a day and eat only fresh food cooked by myself ( inc daily fresh fruit and vegetables ) i drink 3 litres of water a day and i do NOT drink or smoke! Bars don't excite me ( the last time i visited a bar was in the late 70's )

Thailand offers a fabulous outdoor lifestyle and i spend most afternoons on the beach ( yes more walking! ) swimming.

I hate air con anywhere! and stay away from Shopping centres,cinemas and places with air con as it makes me feel ill and uncomfortable! I have lived a nice life in the 4 years i have lived in Thailand and have travelled and explored a large amount of the country by train and taking photos!

You can live very cheaply in Thailand,what will change your budget is " Booze & Birds " ( i have never had a relationship during my time here in Thailand it's just something that doesn't really interest me.)

God Bless you all viewers!

F.J wai2.gif

your 1. post is confusing, 5500 baht p.month , absolutly all included. then you write, free internet 2000 baht, is that also included? so you have 100 baht per day for everthing, rent, transport, food. i dont believe you.

you said,you explored a large "amount " of the country with less than 200 baht a day, how can you do that? a nationalpark entry alone is twice that much.there are entrance fees everywhere, nong nooch, sanctuary of truth, waterparks, ancient city, do you never go to such places?.

do you take your bicycle with you, when you travel to si racha or maybe ko chang?

visa runs also included in the 5500?. are you buying books or travel to neighbouring countries ?

do you pay rent?

I also find the 100-baht per day number hard to accept, but canarysun seems to live in his own universe so I dont question it. About the only point I would make is that he seems convinced that Naklua is a world away from the expense of life in central Pattaya, but my experience of that end of town is that whatever you are saving money on has to be reflected in your surroundings. He may well have snagged the accommodation deal of the century, but he can have it - I'll stay here, 10 minutes walk from Central Festival and 3 minutes from Big C Extra, surrounded by Thais who dont seem to have completely fallen off the grid whatever their after-dark proclivities.