Bangkok taxis demand second round of fare increase

webfact

Bangkok taxis demand second round of fare increase

2-2-2015-10-20-17-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok taxi operators are preparing to demand another round of fare increase, citing the latest increase of NGV by 50 satang per kilo last week, making a combined increase of 1.50 baht in total. Increase of NGV twice is a cost burden for them, they said.

President of Bangkok Taxi Cooperative Network Mr Witoon Naewpanich revealed that he has discussed another round of taxi fare hike with the director of Land Transportation, after the first 8% rise of taxi fare on December 12 last year already took place.

He said although the fare has been raised by 8 percent the last time, but earning by taxi drivers stayed at 100-120 on average daily while the price of NGV has increased twice, to about 1.50 baht higher.

This prompted taxi drivers to pay around 100-110 baht more per day for NGV gas.

The taxi co-op president stated that he has now presented a document to Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha to reconsider the increase of NGV price or to implement new measures to help alleviate taxi drivers’ hardship.

He indicated that taxi driver would demand a 5% increase in fare in the second round.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/bangkok-taxis-demand-second-round-fare-increase

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-02-03

• Like 1

The taxi co-op president stated that he has now presented a document to Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha to reconsider the increase of NGV price or to implement new measures to help alleviate taxi drivers’ hardship

'Hardship'? lol. If things are that tough, I suggest this nonce tell his drivers to give up and actually try to earn a living through good, honest work.

A taxi is supposed to stop and let customers in, then get directions to where the customer wants to go, instead of the... "Tell me first and if I want to take you, I will TELL you how much money you must give me".

Perhaps the public would be more sympathetic if the President of Bangkok Taxi Cooperative Network Mr Witoon Naewpanich got that sorted out first

In the interim, perhaps Taxis can save money by picking up fares, instead of driving around (and wasting fuel), trying to get a sucker customer!

Edited by thhMan
  • Like 1

''... but earning by taxi drivers stayed at 100-120 on average daily...''

Yeah...right. That is why there are so many taxi drivers around.

​My neighbor is a taxi driver and makes about 25-30 thousand a month on average.

i can confirm this, a driver at our company who made 25-30k a month (including overtime) quit his job to become taxi driver. If now fares go up again more people will/want to become taxi drivers as well. Result more taxis but same income because less travel per taxi. So they will ask again for more money and the circle is round...once all taxis are Grab taxi, no need anymore to drive around looking for customers. This will save fuel and keep the city cleaner, safer and with less traffic congestion.

Just 10 minutes ago I took a taxi to my uni. About 1.5 kilometres, traffic not too bad.

Normally 39Baht. Today 53Baht.

I mentioned that the meter was running fast, driver got abusive. Just after I got in he's talking to a friend on his phone, when I mentioned about the meter he abused me for interrupting his call.

This cab has the sticker to say it's passed inspection which is simply not possible, exhaust super loud, shockers completely failed, and the inside of the car is quite dirty.

He has stickers etc. for grab taxi - I called their number many times nobody answers.

I called 1111, eventually got someone speaking English 'sorry all staff gone to breakfast', then he hung up.

So rolleyes.gif TIT remember whistling.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I'm sorry but didn't the price of gasohol go down more than the increase in propane? These cars do not use propane unless they are on the highway. City driving uses more gas whereas highway driving uses more propane. So how is this DEMAND justified?

Sorry... You're wrong. Most of the taxis have been converted to run on compressed natural gas and they are not flex fuel vehicles that can use both gasoline (petrol) and gas (or NGV as they call it here). Once they've been converted they only run on the NGV.

Very few taxis use gasohol because the price of NGV is so much less and continues to be so even with the price hike.