Changing via stamps at CM Immigration

connda

I'll be getting my new passport this week. I also have a 90 day reporting to do next week.

Based on others experience, will changing my stamps to my new passport require sitting in the appointment queue at at 6am in the morning in order to get a number, or can I get the visa stamps transferred at the same time I'm doing my 90 day reporting?

I would just take it in and get it done same time as 90 day report,

also you are too late to make an appointment anyway.for next week.

regards Worgeordie

Have you personally done this before, or should I expect this to turn into a clusterf**k once I get there. I don't have a lot of faith in the immigration procedures that work for one person, but may not work for another. Plus, the folks at he 90 day station have enough work cranking out 90 day reports with out taking an extra 3 hours to process a visa stamp transfer. I don't want to hold a bunch of other people up who are just there to do 90 day reporting. That would be a bit selfish, and I try to be considerate.

Edited by connda

That link is comprehensive, but doesn't apply to the OP's very SPECIFIC case.

But, he's in luck -- I went to CM Immigration last week at 1:15 pm with a new passport, wanting to transfer my stamps and do the 90 day reports for Hubby and me. "Sorry, all the queue numbers for transferring to a new passport had already been handed out for the day -- come back before 7 am tomorrow", I was told by the college students at the center Information counter. For real? I thought this was something that could be done almost on the fly by just about anyone in the office. Nope, the student went back and asked a real immigration official at at desk. He shook his head, come back at 7 am tomorrow.

I was allowed to do the 90 day report, even though my visa extension hadn't been transferred and the old passport had been cancelled by the U.S. consulate. That involved one hour wait time.

The next day I showed up at 7 am and joined the end of a line of 8 people in the parking lot. It was line 3, the shortest line. Line 2 was the longest, for the retirement extensions and line 4 the next longest for marriage extensions. I finally was seen at 11:30 am for the transfer of stamps into my new passport. I guess I could have come back after lunch to do 90 day reports, but I'd already taken care of that the previous day.

But, he's in luck -- I went to CM Immigration last week at 1:15 pm with a new passport, wanting to transfer my stamps and do the 90 day reports for Hubby and me. "Sorry, all the queue numbers for transferring to a new passport had already been handed out for the day -- come back before 7 am tomorrow", I was told by the college students at the center Information counter. For real? I thought this was something that could be done almost on the fly by just about anyone in the office. Nope, the student went back and asked a real immigration official at at desk. He shook his head, come back at 7 am tomorrow.

I was allowed to do the 90 day report, even though my visa extension hadn't been transferred and the old passport had been cancelled by the U.S. consulate. That involved one hour wait time.

The next day I showed up at 7 am and joined the end of a line of 8 people in the parking lot. It was line 3, the shortest line. Line 2 was the longest, for the retirement extensions and line 4 the next longest for marriage extensions. I finally was seen at 11:30 am for the transfer of stamps into my new passport. I guess I could have come back after lunch to do 90 day reports, but I'd already taken care of that the previous day.

I assume from your post, that you got a transfer done in about 30 minutes, or before lunch. Is that correct? The wait was long, but the task seems to have been very rapid once you were seen. If that rapid, I wonder why the queue was closed the previous day.

Edited by Mapguy

I had mine changed a year and a half ago. Just went in some time in the early afternoon. Was in and out in about an hour and a half. I think maybe the fact that it was August might have helped. Also I really don't think their has been that much of a change in the number of people coming in for the service.

It is just a matter of luck of the draw.

Just go in at 1:00 for your 90 day and try for the other. If needs be forget the 90 day they are a piece of cake any how you can just mail that in now. I of course am presuming you are not coming from a great distance. In that case just go in at 6:00 in the morning. Your choice.

Edit

Maybe one of the visa services could handle it for you.

Edited by northernjohn

I assume from your post, that you got a transfer done in about 30 minutes, or before lunch. Is that correct? The wait was long, but the task seems to have been very rapid once you were seen. If that rapid, I wonder why the queue was closed the previous day.

I was No. 308, which means I was the 8th person seen and I was the last one seen just before lunch. The guy at the 300 desk didn't open for business until well after everyone else and seemed to do other tasks in between calling for a new customer.

You're right the actual "interview" and wait for return of passport didn't take very long at all.

Edited by NancyL