What are the truly spectacular must see attractions in Thailand?

pinkpanther99

Before I start I really don't mean to Thai bash but reading a few things in the news recently got be thinking...

I read about the unbelievable plan by the govt here to charge foreigners 10 times the amount they charge Thais to enter the national parks and I also read some comments by the blogger Richard Barrow on this.

Richard said something along the lines that after he spent a year living in Australia and experiencing the national parks there, he said the parks in Thailand aren't all that and hardly worth visiting, let alone paying 10x the regular price.

Here are Richard's comments...

Richard Barrow on February 4, 2015 at 9:53 am

I came to Thailand after exploring Australia for a year. To be honest, I was disappointed with ALL national parks in Thailand compared to what I had just experienced in Australia. There is nothing special about them. This includes many of the waterfalls. Of course, I want to help support the parks here in Thailand, but I don’t really want to pay 400B or so just to visit a waterfall. If they want more foreigners visiting the parks then they need to bring them down to a more realistic level. Plus they should seriously consider a weekly or monthly pass. That way we don’t have to pay extra to visit a small waterfall.

Taken from the comments section here

I'd have to say that I agree with Richard's comments. The few national parks I've visited here, most notably Kaeng Kachan and Sam Ro Yot, and whilst they were OK, they weren't anything special and not a patch on say the Lake District or Peak District, which are two national parks in the UK which are closest to where I'm originally from.

That got me wondering - what are the truly stunning national parks or natural attractions in Thailand. I guess some of the beaches in the South could be classed as that, but does Thailand offer anything else? I've also spent a lot of time in Australia where I vistited the Blue Mountains, Whitsundays and Whitehaven beach, all of which were pretty breathtaking.

Does Thailand have anything as spectacular as this? If so, where?

Are there any natural attraction in Thailand which you'd tell friends they really must see?

• Like 1

i went to chang mai many years ago,

and i thought the hot springs near there were good,

there was some beautifull waterfalls around there too,

a masive orchid farm,

it all depends what your into yourself, ide be happy visiting pig farm and agri fairs, but thats just me

• Like 2

"What are the truly spectacular must see attractions in Thailand"

Patpong & Nana Plaza. tongue.png

I don't think anything really stands out here on the world stage, but just going on a bike ride betwixt mountains and through rice paddies with sun dropping behind the horizon can be pretty arresting. The karsts and islets around Krabi are nice and Khao Phanom Bencha is worth a look at the right time of year:

post-14998-0-01658400-1423139253_thumb.j

post-14998-0-03464900-1423139265_thumb.j

Also like the MHS loop and the fact you can easily detour to alternative, unsealed routes and really be out there. That's the real beauty of this place, you can virtually go where you want. Having said that, perhaps they're hoicking the fees to deter whiteys from visiting

• Like 1

I haven't been to a lot of National Parks here, but out of the ones I have been to, I was only impressed with one, Erawan National Park 60k outside Khachatiburi.

The one place I visited here that will always stick in my mind as being impressive was the old ruins in Ayutthaya. Not everyone would like old buildings, but if you do then this place is fantastic.

I have enjoyed Chiang Mai, the beaches in Phuket, kayaking in Phang Nga bay, Doi Suthep and I'm sure there are many other nice places, but the National Parks here do not impress me like the ones in my own country, the US. I don't know what the price is now in the US, but it was $20, good for 7 days, when I left 6 years ago. I'm happy to pay that in our parks, but less happy to pay 400 baht here for sure with what these parks have to show. With my Thai license I should get the Thai price, but one park outside Hua Hin had a policy of charging falang the falang price irregardless of you having a Thai license. That left me feeling quite cold. If we hadn't drove 60k to get there and had two other friends with us I would have been happy to just drive away.

I just looked up current fees in the US. As a senior I can get a "lifetime" pass for $10...wow! A one year pass to any and all Federal parks and reserves is only $80.

Edited by oneday
  • Like 2

" Erawan National Park 60k NW from Kanchanaburi "

This is definitely a spectacular place. The seven-tiered falls with swimming holes are great, take your togs for a swim, have a free fish massage - these are the real thing and you won't catch a disease (like you will in those tubs of fish at massage shops).

Other than that, IMHO, Thailand doesn't have much variety when it comes to natural attractions of a spectacular kind.

Plenty of pleasant outings can be had nevertheless at national parks, but not on holiday weekends unless you want to sit in queues of traffic for hours on end.

Mae Salong - superb.

Mekhong boat trip - Chiang Saen to Chiang Khong.

Nan province.

The plain around Phetchabaun.

Loei.

Krabi.

Trat province.

Mae Hong Son loop.

There's several more - the natural beauty of this country is something to behold.

Thanks, this is the kind of info I was looking for!

" Attractions in Thailand " ? Plenty if you are an archeologist but none if you are want to see

interesting/unique/current century things/areas. London has Big Ben and an incredible Ferris wheel as well as Buckingham Palace, France has the Eiffel Tower, The Sorbonne, Artists Colony, the US, Grand Canyon, real National Parks, Statue Of Liberty, Smithsonian, Canada, Niagara Falls and Thailand ? Thailand has starved buffalos. centuries old piles of temple rocks, lottsa garbage/evil odors everywhere, scammers abound but the lovely Thai female " Evening Blossoms" are my favorite attraction. Now those are not found anywhere else and combine exotic appearances with superb stage play acting skills and can dance backwards in high heel shoes, beat your ass at snooker, while balancing a 2 year old on their lap !

• Like 1

" Attractions in Thailand " ? Plenty if you are an archeologist but none if you are want to see

interesting/unique/current century things/areas. London has Big Ben and an incredible Ferris wheel as well as Buckingham Palace, France has the Eiffel Tower, The Sorbonne, Artists Colony, the US, Grand Canyon, real National Parks, Statue Of Liberty, Smithsonian, Canada, Niagara Falls and Thailand ? Thailand has starved buffalos. centuries old piles of temple rocks, lottsa garbage/evil odors everywhere, scammers abound but the lovely Thai female " Evening Blossoms" are my favorite attraction. Now those are not found anywhere else and combine exotic appearances with superb stage play acting skills and can dance backwards in high heel shoes, beat your ass at snooker, while balancing a 2 year old on their lap !

In the same way every village in Thailand has a Farang somewhere, almost every town in the West now has a Thai restaurant and a Thai massage.

There are a few nice parks to go depending on the time of year, plus I like looking at the old ruins[AYUTHAYU, PHIMAI , etc ]

But I sometimes resent that we have to pay higher than a thai. The amount that we put into the thai economy you would think that they would be ' GREATFUL"

That so many people go there. Instead they try to rip the tourist off in so many ways They may think that we have more money than them , but that's the way it is.

The best sights and parks in Thailand are the underwater ones, notably the ones off the west coast of Phuket and from there north to Burma and south to Malaysia. Coral reefs, mantas, whale sharks ... some of the top dives in the world are here. The sightseeing on land is generally modest on a global scale.

Mae Salong - superb.

Mekhong boat trip - Chiang Saen to Chiang Khong.

Nan province.

The plain around Phetchabaun.

Loei.

Krabi.

Trat province.

Mae Hong Son loop.

There's several more - the natural beauty of this country is something to behold.

Appreciated, I might take a note and try to visit them. Thanks for the suggestions

Whilst i concur with most posters here that there is no earth shattering stand-out attraction like Uluru, the Lakes District or the Grand Canyon, Thailand's charm for me is what can be seen on any given day in virtually every part of the nation.

Its more to do with the delights of personal discovery of the diversity of scenery, culture and the people in a short trip.

As for the national parks,they are perfectly OK and restful, but for mine a little meandering brings many simple delights that can be enjoyed without needing to travel huge distances.

A few days in Pai with a map and motorcycle is especially enjoyable..

er Samut Prakan has a copy of big ben and they are building a sky towweeer (small one) opposite. Also a stinking crocodile farm and the airport of course. They are going to build a cable car across the river to pra samut chedi, they won't be getting me up on that!

Edited by dragonfly94

To start with I visited Kaeng Kachan on Tuesday the new prices took effect Sunday it was 300 baht for me And 100 baht for my Thai brother in law ......indeed for all Thais

This x10 rubbish is just that .......rubbish.....the fee for Thais has increased from 40 and farangs from 200

The National parks are not meant to be just tourist attractions.......they are protected areas ......accepted this protection is variable.

KK is an amazing place.....the pied Hornbills I saw were worth ever baht of the admission fee.

Some of the parks like SRY can disappoint but it's great for White tailed fish Eagles had 3 in the air together.

Let's encorage the Thais to CONSERVE the best bits of TH they started protection late but they are trying.

• Like 2

Ten times a small number is still a small number. Thailand has a few nice places to be sure but let's face it nobody comes here for the scenic beauty, that is to be found elsewhere in the world. I guess what bothers people is that foreign nationals are singled out to pay more. It's the principal of this and not the amount. Thai's are not expected to pay more for anything in my home country. You might be tempted to say that is because Thailand is a developing country. That is true but I think it's obvious that the money to build a top quality education system and many other essential fundamentals to progress the country have "stuck" to the hands of the those in positions of privilege. The benefits of the economic growth of the country have gone to so few. So should foreigners pay more? Maybe. Does anyone beleive that this extra money will be used to elevate the quality of the parks? If you think the answer is "yes" then stay here a bit longer and you will know the correct answer. So tell me, is there any reason to feel good about being singled out to pay more?

• Like 1

Spectacular - Sala Kiew Khou (check spelling!), Nong Khai. Do not recommend dropping acid/LSD before entering. Freaky, creepy, stunning sculptures and statues, half Hindu, half Buddhist. A must see for any visitors in the province.

I dont think there are any mind blowing sites of man made or natural beauty here, BUT

I love Thailand because , like Thai food, its a unique mix of flavours, tastes, loves, hates, bitterness, sweetness..i could go on.

There is no where quite like it, and there are some pretty places, the list Phrodan has given is a great start, and to that list I'd add Pai, and for places i just enjoy walking or sitting and watching ....Rong Klue Market, Getting up at 6 and sitting outside a 7/11 watching a small provincial town come alive, watching the sunrise over the mehkong, bus hopping on the oldest airconless buses you can find find around Bangkok at random till youre totally lost, sitting outside some local general store with a bottle of Whiskey and a crate of soda sharing it with people you dont know, having a beer and watching a game in a locals bar........

Travelling is what you want it to be, i just like immersing in the experiences of other peoples everyday life, Im not into following guide books routes of attractions, Each to their own, however, denouncing and skipping somewhere just because it doesnt have a Taj Mahal, Buckingham Palace or an Angel Falls is total folly in my opinion......

• Like 1

Ten times a small number is still a small number. Thailand has a few nice places to be sure but let's face it nobody comes here for the scenic beauty, that is to be found elsewhere in the world. I guess what bothers people is that foreign nationals are singled out to pay more. It's the principal of this and not the amount. Thai's are not expected to pay more for anything in my home country. You might be tempted to say that is because Thailand is a developing country. That is true but I think it's obvious that the money to build a top quality education system and many other essential fundamentals to progress the country have "stuck" to the hands of the those in positions of privilege. The benefits of the economic growth of the country have gone to so few. So should foreigners pay more? Maybe. Does anyone beleive that this extra money will be used to elevate the quality of the parks? If you think the answer is "yes" then stay here a bit longer and you will know the correct answer. So tell me, is there any reason to feel good about being singled out to pay more?

Thers no way that KK maintenance etc could be financed from admissions fees so the Thai people pay the shortfall from taxes.......hence the subsidy they get

lol

Edited by acerhodes