Expats who would rather die than go back home?

michaeltheR

Yes, Chiang Mai has quite a few retired expats who are living on the edge, barely making ends meet, spending a large portion of their income on medical bills, transportation and assistance that would be paid for in their home countries. But they don't want to leave Thailand.

I have seen a few of them during my visits, no chance they will ever want to go back home... for various reasons (much more relaxed and fun, no need to work, new family and life centered in Thailand, loosing face back home, burnt bridges, fear of living from social security etc.)... and in few months, I will also be one of them and I definitely have no plans to ever return back home except for frequent holidays.

• Like 2

In my experience, finances rather than anything else will dictate where most end up.

I include Health in that as that is closely linked to finances too. If you have (regretably) an accident or illness the possible financial implications could and does wipe peoples resources out.

That's usually when they start to head for the "home country". Then it becomes a case of not what you "want" but what is the reality of the situation and what is practical.

Going back home, at least to the UK isn't a matter of 'choice' it is a matter of' 'fact'. It is not as simple as some on here would like to think. Here are a couple of points:

1: You DO NOT automatically qualify for health care (except emergencies.

2: In order to register with a GP and get some treatments, you have to be living back there for 6 months.

3: You have to PROVE you are back for good.

4: If you are financially impaired, you will have a long wait to get accomodation.

There is a lot more, I have researched quite a bit, and just received the following from the NHS:

....Those persons in receipt of UK state pensions who choose to live in another country, either permanently or for more than six months each year on a regular basis, can receive, free of charge, any hospital treatment the need for which arises while they are staying in the UK, as long as they previously lived here for at least ten continuous years. This would include if they fell ill or were injured while on a visit here, or if they needed urgent treatment of a pre-existing condition. However, it would not include pre-planned treatment or routine treatment of a pre-existing condition.. . . .

Read the last but carefully, they also went on the say that the 'Free Treatment' that Expats can receive "Is under review" and will be changed - very ominous. GHood luck to all, who may need help - like myself.

• Like 1

"back home"

Thailand is home for many of us. If I'm living here full-time, why would I think of some place (actually many places) I once lived many years ago to be "back home?" Whether or not I'm broke (thankfully I'm not), home is still where I am now.

Agreed. I don't want to live anywhere else and I have spent much of my adult life in Thailand, all my friends are here and I am quickly growing old. What is there to go back for?

• Like 1

In my experience, finances rather than anything else will dictate where most end up.

I include Health in that as that is closely linked to finances too. If you have (regretably) an accident or illness the possible financial implications could and does wipe peoples resources out.

That's usually when they start to head for the "home country". Then it becomes a case of not what you "want" but what is the reality of the situation and what is practical.

Going back home, at least to the UK isn't a matter of 'choice' it is a matter of' 'fact'. It is not as simple as some on here would like to think. Here are a couple of points:

2: In order to register with a GP and get some treatments, you have to be living back there for 6 months.

4: If you are financially impaired, you will have a long wait to get accomodation.

There is a lot more, I have researched quite a bit, and just received the following from the NHS:

....Those persons in receipt of UK state pensions who choose to live in another country, either permanently or for more than six months each year on a regular basis, can receive, free of charge, any hospital treatment the need for which arises while they are staying in the UK, as long as they previously lived here for at least ten continuous years. This would include if they fell ill or were injured while on a visit here, or if they needed urgent treatment of a pre-existing condition. However, it would not include pre-planned treatment or routine treatment of a pre-existing condition.. . . .

Read the last but carefully, they also went on the say that the 'Free Treatment' that Expats can receive "Is under review" and will be changed - very ominous. GHood luck to all, who may need help - like myself.

What is your source please, do you have a link you can post? As the rules stand presently, a UK citizen returning to the UK to settle permanently becomes elligible for free NHS services from the first day.

Hi hope the attachment works, I have not tried it before: If not contact me directly and I will try to help. The eralier quote was part of a reply I received from the NHS.

NHS treatement.docx

"back home"

Thailand is home for many of us. If I'm living here full-time, why would I think of some place (actually many places) I once lived many years ago to be "back home?" Whether or not I'm broke (thankfully I'm not), home is still where I am now.

True, but most of us have no RIGHT OF ABODE we rely on visa extensions and these regulations can change at the whim of the authorities concerned, looked at it this way it isn't home,home is where you feel safe and secure in the knowledge that not only do you want to be here but you can stay as long as you want to.

• Like 1

"back home"

True, but most of us have no RIGHT OF ABODE we rely on visa extensions and these regulations can change at the whim of the authorities concerned, looked at it this way it isn't home,home is where you feel safe and secure in the knowledge that not only do you want to be here but you can stay as long as you want to.

Indeed. If, like me, you're here on an Extension based on work, you have to return "home" immediately your work in Thailand ceases. I have never really considered myself an expat, despite working here for 10 years, because of this.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If you'd paid into the pot for 10 years treatment is free (well until the Tories privatise it) but all I've done is remained registered at my parent's address...... apparently I have over 400 letters there waiting to be opened...... going to wait until Xmas and do it while I'm at work here in sunny Bangkok.

When you are living here for 30 years with no more friends, family and property in your home country, how could you come back home without a home?

Sure, health can be an issue here and free health services are available for homeless people in some countries but that's karma and I prefer to live here with my wife and my modest pension which allows me a better life than in my country.

• Like 1