Chevrolet colorado, water as engine coolant?

I do a fair bit of racing in Canada and the USA. We use exclusively straight water by the rules for circle track and road racing in all of our vehicles. We are also driving them as hard as possible and don't overheat anything. Only way to overheat them is to blow out the water over time until you have nothing left.

Hell, one race I was in I hadn't been prepped on what the gauges meant. Was pushing water out slowly for 19 laps. Finally caught the problem when one number want like before. Water temp was going up by 1*F per lap and I caught it at 241*F. Still had water though and didn't hurt the engine.

It's fine. How much rusting can happen in that closed system? Not much I'd bet.

Also, ingesting rust is a bad idea...

Whatttttttttttt

• Like 2

^ You forgot the multiple question marks... whistling.gifgiggle.gif I glanced right over that post as I was not surprised honestly, sadly sounds like a lot of "racers" I've known over the years coffee1.gif . Had to question the part about no coolant allowed by rule though..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Just had mine flushed last week by the dealer. They used a 50/50 mix from Ford and topped it off with a bottle of water for filling your battery. I assume the battery water is distilled?

• Like 1

Please see rule 9.11.

"9.11. Coolant: Coolant must be water only--no antifreeze or anti-boil allowed. Red Line Oil’s “Water

Wetter” is allowed. A functional 1-Qt. capacity catch tank (overflow) is mandatory.

"

Please see rule 4.m.

m.Coolant: No antifreeze allowed. Additives like MoCool and Water Wetter okay

From the local Circle Track.

RADIATOR:

Must be securely fastened in the original location. Alternate radiators are allowed so long as they can be safely and securely mounted in the stock location. Water and "water wetter" brand additive are the only coolants allowed. An over flow can, mounted under the hood must be used.

One little bottle of Water Wetter does the whole system anyways.

My Race team for the World Racing League and Chumpcar series uses exclusively water. All of our racing is also minimum 7 hours. No problems with heat with a proper system.

My Circle Track Cars use exclusively water and only water as per the rules.

You might find rust on a frost plug or something. Not on an Aluminum head and nothing significant to worry about on the block. But it would be very minimal and would take a long long time before it was actually a problem on a car in Thailand.

• Like 1

Chump car???? w00t.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gif Ok well that confirms my impression then.. Why not the 24 hours of lemons? giggle.gifcoffee1.gif BTW You mentioned racing in Canada, not exactly known for over heating issues. I used to love it when I traveled up to the northern tracks like Toronto, Mosport, Watkins Glen, Road America in the middle of the summer and while the drivers were all sweating their back sides off and complaining how hot it was in 76 degrees and 70 percent humidity I was just chillin feeling like it was A/C being from Florida, kind of the same way with vehicles up north versus those in most of Thailand.

Chump car looks like a lot of fun and something I'd like to try some time given the lack of pressure but there's nothing close to serious racing going on there. Can't see any way whatsoever to purchase and build a reliable, safe car for the amounts allowed though, the competition has already creeped on the rules considerably.. Being full of mostly novices and drivers not taking it very seriously in spite of any thing at speed being very serious may quickly dampen my enthusiasm though.

Edited by WarpSpeed

24 hours of lemons is supposed to be just plain non-serious fun. Chumpcar is some pretty serious budget racing. We've run a roofless neon with a 2.0L DOHC that had a turbo bolted to it. So you can build pretty interesting cars and the challenge is to have them reliable and run anywhere from 7-37 hours without problems. Reliability is actually key. Safety is required also so that doesn't hurt the budget.

As for being full of novices there may be some but they all take it seriously. But there are some top tier drivers that do show up. The team has even had a Champ Car driver on it for a race.

My Team Captain has been NASCAR licensed.
http://www.canada.com/story_print.html?id=7f2d9320-0510-431c-89d0-94dcd60e2606&sponsor=

His racing history is also pretty impressive despite the website(not sure who runs it) being archaic.
http://www.blurredvisionracing.com/teamsask/drivers/noelmcavena.html

But we've also run Brainerd International Raceway in Minnesota at 100*F and Canada can get over 100*F in the summertime. Still run straight water.

• Like 1

Oh, and the Race list for this year consists of Brainerd twice, Leguna Seca, Road America and Leduc. So one race in Canada and 4 in the USA for this year. Maybe more to come.

You can do a seat rental if you really want probably with one of the teams.

Edited by SilverBeast

Water in a race car is fine........It gets raced, stripped down and is OK. Here we are talking about longevity....Miles, years of service.......Anyone who does not put a corrosion inhibitor in a street ride is daft..........

Except if the sticker says "Do not put anti-rust inhibitor in coolant". And water is fine for cooling a car in Thailand. Anti-Freeze not required.

Water in a race car is fine........It gets raced, stripped down and is OK. Here we are talking about longevity....Miles, years of service.......Anyone who does not put a corrosion inhibitor in a street ride is daft..........

Except if the sticker says "Do not put anti-rust inhibitor in coolant". And water is fine for cooling a car in Thailand. Anti-Freeze not required.

Forget the anti freeze side of the cooling system, that is one side of the job, the main side of the job is to deter corrosion.

I would like to know how a corrosion deterrent has destroyed an engine...?

• Like 1

Oh, and the Race list for this year consists of Brainerd twice, Leguna Seca, Road America and Leduc. So one race in Canada and 4 in the USA for this year. Maybe more to come.

You can do a seat rental if you really want probably with one of the teams.

I've considered a seat rental, don't think I'd do it any other way as I don't want to build a car for that, but I always have reservations about renting as I'm always dubious about the safety of the cars prep etc., even in these you're still going fast enough to seriously injure or kill yourself or someone else and I don't skimp on prep like many other teams do even at higher levels let alone a series like this.. I like to drive with full focus and confidence in my equipment, can't do that with an arrive and drive unless I know the program really well.

Coolant will leak where water will not....many of the radiator repair shops will tell you water only...chances are the sticker came from a radiator repair shop....

Wow! completely lost a post? So here goes again only differently worded.

Nonsense, don't know where you got that advice from, was that a Thai shop that didn't want to put coolant in your car so used that as an excuse because it cost more and he's used to Thai's not wanting to pay extra for it? Dye is added to coolant to indicate leaks (which maybe why you think it causes them since they are more easily located), it does not cause leaks in any way it is there to inhibit corrosion, and lubricate and doing both of those helps prevent leaks not cause them. Anyway I agree entirely with T/A's points on this, short term applications versus long term benefits in street applications there is no argument on whether or not water cools better or is necessary for good cooling or coolant/water combo cools better, just the need for it in daily drivers and the long term gains of using it.

Edited by WarpSpeed