Davis, Sarandon mull over 'Thelma & Louise' anniversary tour

Lite Beer

Davis, Sarandon mull over 'Thelma & Louise' anniversary tour
LAURI NEFF, Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) — Geena Davis and Susan Sarandon may be heading out on the road again — a quarter century after the release of their Oscar-winning film "Thelma & Louise."

Davis says she and Sarandon are currently hashing out ways to mark 25th anniversary of the film about a girl's road trip gone bad.

"There's still so much affection for the movie and we loved it," Davis says. "It seems like there should be some girl power celebrating going on."

Davis and Sarandon, who still remain good friends, came up with the idea. Davis says now they're talking over how to do it, focusing on a possible "live show or a tour." She says they're still trying to figure out "what's possible" but says "people seem to like the idea."

Davis is currently starring in her first season of ABC's "Grey's Anatomy," which airs Thursdays at 8 p.m. ET. She plays the hard-edged Dr. Nicole Herman, who, along with being an ace surgeon is suffering what she believes to be a fatal brain tumor.

She is also prepping for her new Bentonville Film Festival which will push for more women and diversity in film. The competition, which kicks off May 5 in the Arkansas city, says it's the first ever film festival to offer winners guaranteed distribution.

The actress also founded the Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media, a research-based organization that promotes more diverse female characters in entertainment.

"There certainly are still great roles that come along that we see women in," says Davis, "but we're not seeing a wealth of female characters and we're not seeing films that are populated by women."

She says she hopes the "Thelma & Louise" anniversary will serve as a reminder "that it's possible to make a movie that's a cultural landmark starring women."

Davis says she enjoys her television gig but wouldn't mind another juicy film role. "If it was a great part and it was shooting in China I'd be doing it. I'd find a way," but adds, only if it is a really good role. "I've had such great parts and I'm a little fussy and haven't run out of money yet so I like to wait until the really good things come along."

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-02-07

If I recall, The movie ended with them driving their car over a cliff into something like the Grand Canyon.

That doesn't exactly leave the story open for a sequel, does it?

That's what they said about Titanic.

American movie, they can fix the ending where the car crashes, and they flew out and landed on a ledge..........got a new life in Pattaya and decided to go home after 25 years of overstay.giggle.gifgiggle.gif thats what Hollywood is all about..........thumbsup.gif I'd go watch it.

Maybe this time they can shoot J.D. (Brad Pitt) and Jimmy (Michael Madsen) can kick Darryl a swift one to the front and the sequel can open with the good Detective Hal (Harvey Keitel) having a vision of Thelma and Louise going over the ledge but snapping out of his fearful illusion in time to save the day, and the second scene of the sequel is the two gals getting out of prison 25 years later to become private dicks who round up rednecks (for Hillary) while Charlie Sexton and his band play in the background.

The movie was a great one that put a lot of actors on the map, to include launching Brad Pitt and ensconcing Michael Madsen as a big star. Harvey Keitel was already a big name that only got bigger. Sarandon and Davis simply got more famous by it and deservedly so, yes.

I got it! I got it!

Both women return as their own mothers, and trace the path their daughters took. We see Brad Pitt, who got locked up in the first movie has become a prison 'girl,' like Richard Speck.

If interested contact my lawyer in Lagos.