Flash update 'infection'

Patanawet

I have some sort of malware, or whatever, that appears as a warning to update my Adobe Flash.

It comes only on Firefox and only on Thaivisa when I click on and open a link to a news item on the newsletter.

I might click on a few items to open them in new tabs. They then appear correctly at the top of the screen, then when I click on one it opens momentarily then changes to the Flash warning.

I had read somewhere that there is a virus similar to this going around.

Has anyone else encountered this?

I have scanned with various anti virus programs including running Malwarebyes in normal and safe mode. Result 'clean'.

I always close these tabs and have gone manually to the Adobe site and checked that I am indeed up to date.

Any ideas?

Hi

I'm getting repeated crashes or hangs from use of Shock-wave. I've up to date versions of all software involved. Hit Dr. Google and there's plenty of technical solutions but to my aging PC knowledge it seems a bit laborious. Has anyone encountered the same and solved the solution in simple laymen procedures please?

Hi

I'm getting repeated crashes or hangs from use of Shock-wave. I've up to date versions of all software involved. Hit Dr. Google and there's plenty of technical solutions but to my aging PC knowledge it seems a bit laborious. Has anyone encountered the same and solved the solution in simple laymen procedures please?

You don't mention what interent browser you are using. This is likely part of the known issues going around, so do not use some 3rd party "solution" you find from Dr. Google results.

First verify you have the most recent Flash Player 16.0.0.35. If you are using FireFox and have Adobe set to update automatically, there have been instances of that not working correctly, so check it to be sure. If it's not the updated version, then update it through FireFox or the Adobe website.

I have had repeated trouble with the normal Adobe Flash Player update installer not working since these latestest rounds of vulnerabilities, so I've had to get the full EXE file download and install manually, including last night for the latest .35 update. If you are having update trouble, respond and we can try the Adobe direct download page.

Sorry NE1 and RichCor for coming so late back (couldn't find the thread --- I shouldn't be allowed near computers really

).

Indeed, my Flash plugin was 10.0. ???. So updated to 16. whatever and the messages went away for a while. I've just spotted them again today but not as invasive as before and not on ThaiVisa links. And also messages that my player or most recently.WMP is out of date.

RichCor, I'm nor sure what you mean by DNS settings as there seem to be DNS settings for Win7 and for the router etc.

I've checked via control panel (Win7) etc and they all seem to be set to automatic.

Farma Yes that was what alerted me to a problem I was having. I was suspicious the first time I saw the message -- it just didn't ring true. So I dismissed it each time I saw it.

Using

Win7

Firefox (latest version)

Flash, Java etc all latest versions.

ISP True Broadband,

Router Zyxel

Since Firefox 35, a warning message is displayed if the Flash player version installed is earlier than the latest version.

There's always been an option to check if plugins and extensions are up to date by hitting CTRL+SHIFT+A to take you to the Add-ons manager and then click the link to "Plugins". See screenshot.

But very few users were aware of it which is why Mozilla introduced the warning which appears if you try to run an older version of Flash now which might compromise your system.

post-101376-0-83763400-1423998685_thumb.

• Like 1