Retirees: are any of you more healthy since you moved to Thailand?

Goldbear

I would say that I'm much healthier since I retired.

Blood pressure down and well under control; my cholesterol is under control; my weight is withing the desired range most of the time. I also exercise more frequently. Also, I find that if I do fee unwell at any time, it only takes me a day or two to recover fully compared to 2 - 3 weeks when I was stressed out due to work.

Alan

• Like 1

I came here to have one last fling before I died. That was 17 years ago. I was in a very high stress job in the US and was experiencing severe angina. After all of the tests I was told that I needed heart surgery. Having no family in the US, I cancelled the surgery, took early retirement and moved here to stay in late 1997. I have never had an angina attack since moving here and stopped all prescribed meds. I walk my nine dogs twice a day and tinker in the farming industry. I'm now 17 years older and suffering the affects of age and having a metal femur installed in my leg when I did a swan dive from a ladder. I fight being overweight, a losing battle all of my life, but I'm still alive and feel great!

You walk your 9 dogs or they walk you?

When I move to Thailand in 2010, my goal by medical advice, was to lose at least 20 kilos..and after the first 3 years I achieved it. After getting married, I found out that my Thai wife likes to shows me love cooking and feeding me more than I need...and I got back all the weight in the last 2 years. When I tell her that now I do not look so good like when we met, her response is that she do not like for me to be in better shape because I may look for another woman....a gik. Only in Thailand!

She is 48, slender and beautiful, and I am 70... and now fat. I want and need to lose weight, but my wife's jealousy keep my self stem in its high....Not good for dieting.

I never was so healthy like in Thailand, and I live every day like it is the last day of my life. I know that some day, that will be true..

I agree! My wife says a fatter man is more attractive. Women would look at a thin man as not having enough money to eat well! I suspect the same thing as you point out, not wanting for me to be attractive to other Thai females. So, she keeps feeding me and I keep going to exercise every other day...thus far her plan is winning!

• Like 2

Living in a condo in Bangkok, I have the use of the gym, tennis court, squash court and swimming pool. My main exercise is to swim a kilometre every morning plus some additional exercise to improve my flexibility. I feel fitter mow than I did 20 years ago in the UK.

The weather has a positive effect on my mental well being, as well as supressing my appetite, (so my weight is good), and stress has been substantially reduced. All-in-all, moving to Thailand has had a very positive effect on me, plus the weather gets me out-and-about a lot more than when I was in England.

• Like 2

I've been here for a bit more than one year, half retired. I lost about 10 Kg and now jog 10 Km 2 to 3 times a week while when I arrived I couldn't barely run more than a few hundred meters before being out of breath.

You're right having more time on one's hand helps a lot getting in better shape but I'm not sure being in Thailand or in the US makes a lot of difference. One of the most important point to get in better shape is to eat better. Less probably but definitively better. The main problem in my opinion is that Thai food is terribly unhealthy. For me the solution is to cook my own food at home. So definitively to have the time to cook helps a lot.

One other problem at the beginning is to get in a routine when you excercice regularly. Again the solution for me was to hire a personnal trainer. It's quite cheap in Thailand. I hired him for two month, two times a week. Now I'm on my own, I'm used to the gym and the equipement and it's part of my weekly routine to go two times a week to the gym so it's ok.

But there is nothing I couldn't have done in an other country.

Completely agree. I've been here 11 years and the only difference with you is that I believe it is better to exercise every day, but do less than you for older folks, and that's been proven recently to lengthen life. I do about 2-3 km jogging in a park or on the treadmill in the early evenings, plus swimming every morning. I also cook most of my own food. I was very unhealthy in the UK - drinking every day - but now cut it down to 1-2x per week. I lost a lot of weight and have regular thorough checkups including strees test and my heart has strengthened very significantly. Checkups are important so that any health or sickness developments can be monitored and focused on.

I think gyms are more available in Thailand than most countries and also the fresh food for home cooking is cheaper and more readily available. The weather is generally more amenable to outdoor exercise, at least after dusk if there is a park nearby. I can't do any strength training like weights as my back goes every time, so I focus on aerobics.

I feel healthier and more relaxed now than I have ever done since I was 13 (when I started smoking but gave up 25 years later).

Edited by Card

When I move to Thailand in 2010, my goal by medical advice, was to lose at least 20 kilos..and after the first 3 years I achieved it. After getting married, I found out that my Thai wife likes to shows me love cooking and feeding me more than I need...and I got back all the weight in the last 2 years. When I tell her that now I do not look so good like when we met, her response is that she do not like for me to be in better shape because I may look for another woman....a gik. Only in Thailand!

She is 48, slender and beautiful, and I am 70... and now fat. I want and need to lose weight, but my wife's jealousy keep my self stem in its high....Not good for dieting.

I never was so healthy like in Thailand, and I live every day like it is the last day of my life. I know that some day, that will be true..

Doesn't she know that it is a fat wallet that decides a woman's choice in Thailand, not a fat belly?

I think I am healthier now, possibly. For the last 11 years I've been rotating back and forth between Afghanistan and Thailand, and during my time here was living a somewhat unhealthy life-style (lots of drinking and fatty foods). I used to joke that I had to go back to Afghanistan because it was safer (less chance of dying in a drunken road accident) and healthier as it was the only chance my liver had to "dry" out !

Now though, I worry about descending into a lazy, drunken life-style that'd be sure to kill me in a couple of years. I try to go for a short (30 minutes) jog early in the morning, followed by some sit-ups, push-ups and other calisthenics. I'll start prepping something for dinner (marinating meat, making sauces, etc) and later on go to a local market for some fresh fruit and veggies (wash well before consuming) ! I find my eating habits are better now, though I do tend to have a little too much cholesterol-inducing food in my diet (but I love my cheese and butter). Definitely eating more rice and fish than I used to, and more stir-fries, but still likes my bacon and eggs in the morning and hot roast beef with melted cheese (or tuna with melted cheese, or ham with melted cheese) sandwiches for lunch.

The biggest killer (for me) is the motivation factor though. To live a healthier lifestyle you've got to have the motivation to see it through. Eating better and exercising regularly are key. If you can get used to a healthier diet and regular exercise, you'll be able to splurge now and then without adversely affecting your health. If you slouch on the couch covered in old pizza boxes and empty Chang bottles, you're probably not going to be around as long to enjoy it ! There are some mornings when I wake up and just don't feel up to going for a jog. Instead I'll do some stretching and some extra push-ups/sit-ups/etc. Other days I come back from my jog and maybe I've pushed it a little harder and am feeling drained so I'll go easy on the calisthenics.

I've got to watch out for is going too long without doing either though, as it is harder to get back up to speed than it is to maintain a steady rhythm once you are going. I also try to temper myself by remembering that I'm retired (more or less) now and I don't need to be at peak, still able to kick younger guy's asses, physical levels. I can mellow a bit and still see results (though they are a bit slower in showing than they used to be - my former "six pack" still looks more like a "keg" than I'd like, but then again, I'm not in a rush).

I have angina and when i lived in the UK used to sit up 3/4 times a week as i got attacks when laying down ,since coming here 10 years ago if i have an attack once every few months its a lot ,i still take my meds ,but i feel far better now than i did then ,also my diet is far healthier

I retired at age 43, moved to LOS a year later and am just about to turn 60. In the last 15 years here I have had exactly 3 headcolds c/w at least one a year back in California. Stress level has been about the same IMO but for vastly different reasons.I lost a little weight after the move but lost 10 kg down to 70 after going to a low carb diet and feel vastly healthier now. Hard to say what part if any retiring or moving had to do with this outcome.

I moved here 10 years ago, for health reasons.

In Sweden, I eat painkillers Medical every day. my hair was completely white, and my nails brittle.

Today, 10 years later, I feel like 45 at the age (I am 65 and I eat no medicine),

my hair has started to turn black again and my nails, I can use as a screwdriver :-)

So YES I feel GOOD!!!

• Like 2

Been here 13 years. Came here a little screwed up. I Can see that now. I was partially paralysed down my right side. Neck problems was the cause. Regular massages good weather having time to recover has been the cure. Now vitually no pain and 90% returned to normal. So yes better for me here.. The only warning I can give you when you come over is be honest with yourself as to what you want here. Be honest with yourself. Happy days.. By the way I will never go back to my home country if I have my way. Life too good here.

Edited by Chicken George
  • Like 1

Yes, I am much healthier since moving to C.M. three and a half years ago from the states. Moving here I weighed 108 kg, (1.9m) was hypertensive, had a big problem with muscular-skeletal balance due to an previous injury, a very bad marriage and an energy sucking business that I finally sold.

I moved to Chiang Mai specifically for the access to affordable message and the excellent Yoga instruction. My Thai wife is an excellent cook and we eat northern Thai fried food in small doses. I stopped eating bread and cheese, which was a big part of my U.S. diet, steam fish, etc. I found a deep tissue massage person and spent 4 hours a week for over a year breaking down the muscle adhesions and regaining some range of motion and then began swimming, working from 100 m to about 1 km a day over several months. My weight dropped to 90 kg and I started a Yoga class about 2 years ago.

Better health does not happen because you live in Thailand. Sorry folks; no magic; you still have to make the right choices and find the discipline. Perhaps making them was easier here. I am retired and no longer have the constant problems of 30 employees and a crazy wife.

• Like 2

I think it all depends on yourself, your eating habits and willingness to go workout. Food wise you can find healthy options in both countries, in the US the portions are big so you normally tend to over eat. After returning from the US, I lost around 9kg over a year just because I ate smaller portions.

All the opportunities to be healthy are here. The weather is great, gyms and pools in many places. The Thai fresh fruits are plentiful, tasty and cheap. So many different fish. Fresh vegetables every day in the markets and the lifestyle is a lot more relaxed and easy going.

The opportunities are here if you want to take advantage of them.

• Like 2

Been here 14 months, lost 35 lbs. Walk & swim daily. Eat only 1.5 meals a day, lite breakfast, afternoon main meal, never order fried food, make sure they cook with vegetable oil, low salt, and no msg. Go to the same restaurants till they get to know me, if necessary I will buy the oil for them, eat lots of salads, vegetables, pork, and fish. Feel good no stress unless I pay attention to the countrys politics or have to drive somewhere, try to avoid both of those. Like is Good.

• Like 1

I'm not retired, but my health is better because of better (less expensive) healthcare.

Was able to get a physical and Hep B & C tests for under $100.

The physical included liver enzymes and an abdominal ultrasound, which revealed "Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease".

My doctor back home didn't order these tests and had no clue.

The NAFLD was causing an elevated insulin response, which my doctor back home was totally unconcerned with, because it was still in the "normal" range.

The NAFLD causes inflammation, which was causing asthma symptoms and numbness in my feet in the morning.

Now, I don't drink, cut out all corn products and junk food with High Fructose Corn Syrup and cut down on sweet fruit. The green mangos or green papaya is fine. Also cut back on sugar.

Spend more time riding my bicycle, vitamin D from sunshine (free) and do yoga 5 x week. My girlfriend likes the walking streets, which is also great exercise.

There is a great "jay" restaurant culture here, which is clean food, small portions and only 30 baht. I also like the fried seaweed, which is only 10 baht. Seaweed has lots of micro nutrients.

Because I'm in Northern Thailand, we can get avocados, which is a great fat. Fresh coconut meat is also excellent.

Also, took the advice of a local pharmacist and take a teaspoon of crushed raw garlic with lime juice twice a day to clean out my liver.

I plan on doing another liver enzyme test before I leave to see if my diet/exercise regime is working.

Also considering sueing my doctor back home for malpractice...

Edited by SiSePuede419
  • Like 2

Since arriving my epilepsy has all but disappeared. I used to take seizure meds twice daily and still struggled in the States and other countries I traveled to. Now I don't take any meds and am basically seizure free. The lower stress here has been great. On the other side of things my BP has gone crazy, but is under control with meds. I am sure that is based on my work load and drinking habits...

I have been living in Thailand for almost 4 years and yes i feel much healthier! We have a great outdoor climate and i walk about 15 km most days and then swim in the sea in the afternoons.Also great for a bicycle too! ( not in the sea...) The only problem is to be careful with the " Thai Food ". I have lost 25 KG in almost 3 years,i eat fresh fruit and steamed vegetables every day and other things of course! ( but prefer to cook my own food at home ) I drink about 3 litres of water a day which is essential when you are outside all day in the lovely sunshine.

I would advise anybody who is coming to live in Thailand to " Don't be lazy " and buy a motorbike! it's a waste of money when you can walk or better still " buy a bicycle ( much healthier for you! ) also rent a condo on a high floor " without a lift " and you will be amazed at how much fitter you will become running up and down the " Apples & Pears " ( stairs ) all day!

Are you the " lazy type " Viewers.....? wink.png

At first I thought this was a troll post...but reading I see you are sincere in your question...

I lost a good bit of weight...getting up every morning and walking briskly for an hour around my condo...

Made the mistake of look for more scenery by walking to the beach and going up the road for 30 mins then back...lost my gold necklace to a motorcycle taxi driver and had a soi dogs menace while walking near the beach...

You can become more healthy if that is your goal...eat right...drink less...and do all things in moderation...

Good Luck!

• Like 1

I might be if not pissed all the time, hic

That's an other advantage to be in a good physical shape. Nothing better than to run a few kilometers to get rid of a hangover. You can litterally feel the sweat washing away the toxin from the previous day excesses.

Not quite retirement age as of yet. However, I've managed to cut my drinking down to 6 days a week now and Kama Sutra for my day off which gives me all the exercise I need ...giggle.gif

I am. Because Thai personal trainers cost $600 baht an hour, I signed up for 10 hours per week with my personal trainer (see classified ad). My personal trainer in California charges $80 dollars per hour. My Thai personal trainer, less than $20 dollars per hour. I bought a cross cable machine from Bangkok and it was delivered to my house in Chiang Mai. I bought weights and a weight bench. Mats. I swim 1-2 hours every morning and do yoga stretching and strength training with the personal trainer. My trainer, Kru "Ta", looks at my iPAD iMuscle2 app and we select cross cable exercises for the day. If my heart rate goes too high, Kru "TaP switches to trap or lat massage until my heart rate comes down. I'm 72 years old and more flexible now than when I was in college. I can swim up to 3 hours in the early morning... but I'm trashed for the rest of the day. I eat a lot of RimPing salads but I've learned to add stuff like blanched mushrooms and asparagus. I buy green tea without sugar at Lotus as well as their roast chickens.Twice a month I buy 2 pizzas for the price of one and give one pizza to the gardener. I eat one slice and freeze the rest. Sometimes I'll have a slice of pizza before swim. A latte after swim (no sugar) then yoga stretching with the trainer. He's a second-generation muay thai fighter and too much trainer for me. However, like all Thai he is gentle and kind. We do seated assisted stretching and he has high goals. He can do the splits. Oops. One of the reasons I live here 5 months of the year is that my health improves hugely. Take advantage of cheap prices here.

Best, Suzanne

• Like 2

Less healthy because I live in Bangkok...here I have asthma and get sinus headaches from dirty air although wearing carbon mask helps allot....I know I could choose to live elsewhere in Thailand but I prefer being near airport.

Moving back to USA soon after 10 years here...no regrets,...will still return for 3 months a year in the future. On trips back to USA the two things I noticed right away are clean air and all the fat people smile.png

Yup, the lack of clean air in Chiang Mai worries me and I seem to be forever cleaning up a layer of dust/fine ash from the floor, tables, everything!

Today visibility is down to less than 1 km. March is the usual 'smokey' season. I'm surprised the airport is open, although I haven't heard a plane go over all morning, so maybe it's not.

Also there seems to be no restriction on buses, pickups, song teows and the amount of diesel exhaust they spew out.

It's not far to get out of town for some greenery, forest, parks, but there's nothing in the city.

Took me a while to get used to not having wine, lamb or beef on the menu. They're available, but at a price, Maybe that helped me lose a kg or two.

I agree that it's best to have sort of aim or project for when you get here. In Chiang Mai there's an active expat's club and a number of interest groups to join. See "about us". http://www.chiangmaiexpatsclub.com/

I might be if not pissed all the time, hic

me same. burp.gif

Hard to slow it down the last few months

I started drink 4 days a week instead of 7. Today is a non drinking day, but i'll probably make up for it tomorrow wub.png I found it increasingly hard to keep drinking Thai beer as it's horrible muck so now order from wishbeer, lovely stuff.