Retirees: are any of you more healthy since you moved to Thailand?

Goldbear

Hi, I was curious if any retirees are more healthy since moving to Thailand (not factoring in ageing). The reason I ask is that here at home in the USA I just feel like I have so little time. I think in retirement (soon) I will eat less and have more time for working out and for cycling and walking. I think that I can easily be in better shape and thinner.

Can anyone living in Thailand with plenty of time on their hands (i.e., not working full time) comment on any of that?

Thanks very much.

• Like 2

I'm a lot less healthy since I got here.

I eat far too much because eating out is easy and cheap (much cheaper than shopping oneself, which is very expensive, and then cooking at home), and I dont do enough exercise because it's too humid/hot to go out except at certain times of day and even when I do go out it doesn't encourage me to do any activity.

Also I moved from a very large old farmhouse with very large garden that needed things doing to it constantly to a condo that I can clean from top to bottom in about 15 minutes and which doesn't get dirty anyway, and which never requires maintenance apart from changing the occasional light-bulb (occasional being once every 10 years with these modern types of bulb).

Not sure what the solution to this is.

• Like 2

Though I didn't retire, I am inclined to say that I transformed my health from reasonable to exceptional during my first 5 years in Thailand. For me it was the convenience of the gym that came with my first condo and the exercise triggered a healthier diet which then made me drink less. I spent an average of 15 hrs in the gym each week plus 7 hours swimming. One of the advantages was that I made friends with people who preferred a healthy lifestyle, as opposed to spending time with people in bars (if that floats your boat - fine, but not for me), and that triggered a positive spiralling effect.

After moving back to UK I've transformed my health in the opposite direction to a point where I'm becoming concerned. For me it was MUCH easier to uphold a healthy lifestyle in Thailand.

• Like 2

The heat and sunshine is great for aches and pains related to arthritis. Much better than the damp, cold air on the UK coast. One of the good benefits of Thai living.

Yep, I was able to dump the drugs.......smile.png

Did you go cold turkey?...cheesy.gifcheesy.gif or sing your way healthy?

• Like 1

I eat far too much because eating out is easy and cheap (much cheaper than shopping oneself, which is very expensive, and then cooking at home), and I dont do enough exercise because it's too humid/hot to go out except at certain times of day and even when I do go out it doesn't encourage me to do any activity.

Also I moved from a very large old farmhouse with very large garden that needed things doing to it constantly to a condo that I can clean from top to bottom in about 15 minutes and which doesn't get dirty anyway, and which never requires maintenance apart from changing the occasional light-bulb (occasional being once every 10 years with these modern types of bulb).

The solution seems obvious... move back to the farm.

Less healthy because I live in Bangkok...here I have asthma and get sinus headaches from dirty air although wearing carbon mask helps allot....I know I could choose to live elsewhere in Thailand but I prefer being near airport.

Moving back to USA soon after 10 years here...no regrets,...will still return for 3 months a year in the future. On trips back to USA the two things I noticed right away are clean air and all the fat people :)

• Like 1

"shopping oneself, which is very expensive" How did you come to this conclusion ? I went to do some shopping this afternoon at TOPS,not exactly the cheapest place in town. A salad 35 Bahts, chicken breast (3 pcs) 80 Bahts, bananas 30 Bahts ..... You can easely cook a healthy and decent meal for less than 50 Bahts. And if you want a bit more western food like potatoes, avocadoes, salmon, steak ... it is still cheaper than in a restaurant. How can you say it is very expensive ?

Because compared to supermarket shopping back in Europe I find that it just is very expensive here. Even things that are grown/produced here often cost more, unless you buy a giant pack in Makro in which case the prices are much more sensible.

And of course any imported item is simply between 2 and 4 times more expensive here. I can afford it so it's no big deal but it doesn't encourage me to cook at home.

The solution seems obvious... move back to the farm.

Doesn't sound like much of a solution to me. I'll hold out for a better one.

When I move to Thailand in 2010, my goal by medical advice, was to lose at least 20 kilos..and after the first 3 years I achieved it. After getting married, I found out that my Thai wife likes to shows me love cooking and feeding me more than I need...and I got back all the weight in the last 2 years. When I tell her that now I do not look so good like when we met, her response is that she do not like for me to be in better shape because I may look for another woman....a gik. Only in Thailand!

She is 48, slender and beautiful, and I am 70... and now fat. I want and need to lose weight, but my wife's jealousy keep my self stem in its high....Not good for dieting.

I never was so healthy like in Thailand, and I live every day like it is the last day of my life. I know that some day, that will be true..

Mrs.Trans talks much the same.........I tell her I am me and want to be me and you should trust me......

Didn't make any difference laugh.png but I do do my own thing.............smile.png

"shopping oneself, which is very expensive" How did you come to this conclusion ? I went to do some shopping this afternoon at TOPS,not exactly the cheapest place in town. A salad 35 Bahts, chicken breast (3 pcs) 80 Bahts, bananas 30 Bahts ..... You can easely cook a healthy and decent meal for less than 50 Bahts. And if you want a bit more western food like potatoes, avocadoes, salmon, steak ... it is still cheaper than in a restaurant. How can you say it is very expensive ?

Because compared to supermarket shopping back in Europe I find that it just is very expensive here. Even things that are grown/produced here often cost more, unless you buy a giant pack in Makro in which case the prices are much more sensible.

And of course any imported item is simply between 2 and 4 times more expensive here. I can afford it so it's no big deal but it doesn't encourage me to cook at home.

For me the primary reason for cooking is not to save money but to have a more healthy lifestyle. Processed food is the real ennemy, full of fat, sugar, salt and other additives that are bad for our health. As someone said in this thread when you retire in Thailand brodedom can be a problem. With cooking one kills two bird with one stone, it keep us busy for part of the day in an enjoyable way and it's good for our health too. And I'm not so sure that beside maybe beef basic food is more expensive in Thailand

Examples of quick, easy and cheap meals :

- Marinate over night a piece of chicken with olive oil, salt, pepper and herbs. Cook in a pan for around 10 mn, serve with a green salad and home made vinaigrette.

- Steam a piece of fish. Seasoned with salt, pepper and lime juice. Cook a potato in the microwave, takes less than 10 mn. Open in two, add a bit of salt and butter. Quick, cheap and healthy.

- Whole grain pasta with a sauce made of onion, garlic, fresh or canned tomatoes and local seafood

- For take away home made wrap with cold chicken (above recipe), half avocado, salad, cottage chees + seasonning

+ fresh fruits

Healthy, easy to prepare and cost less than 50 bahts a meal

Edited by JohnnyJazz
  • Like 1

Thanks to all of you who replied. There were some good ideas. I very much agree that it would be important to be in the right type of living situation. I haven't quite figured out where that will be yet but it will probably be someplace that isn't a big city and also isn't way out in the country. It will probably be something in between. I am working on ideas for that.

Obviously I have the idea that by having more time, it will help me make the right health choices. We will see if that turns out to be true or not.

@Gecko123 I tend to eat less when I am in Thailand; it has nothing to do with retirement, per se.

@Wayned Thanks for your inspirational story.

Thanks to all of you.