Reports: Yingluck Barred From Leaving Thailand

Lite Beer

What we do (seemingly) know:

1. The rice pledging scheme was misguided and poorly managed
  2. There was corruption associated with the scheme that led to significant financial losses

What we do NOT know:

1. Whether YL was aware of the corruptions and did nothing to prevent/stop it
  2. Whether she personally befitted from the corruption

A lot of people here seem to be missing this distinction and assuming she is guilty of the latter two points without clear evidence.

Also note that almost every national government in western nations sees corruption scandals--bureaucracies are complex and there are huge sums of money at stake--but the national leader is generally not held responsible unless it can be shown that he/she had knowledge or involvement. It should be no different in YL's case.

The clear evidence comes at the trial. Wait for it.

"....the national leader is generally not held responsible unless it can be shown that he/she had knowledge or involvement."

The policy was tried, tested and found corrupt in its first inception. Then it was re-installed without any improvements to reduce corruption or to increase its performance in directing funds to the claimed recipients. If you know something is crap and say "Let's do it again!" how can you claim lack of knowledge or involvement.

BTW allowing Thaksin access to cabinet meetings is corruption. Allowing Thaksin to systematically bribe MPs is treason.

• Like 2

The case has not even gone before the court. There are no charges yet. So it's just another act of the Junta being judge and jury.

A case of just making sure that "the bird does not fly the nest" as her brother did and is yet to return to face the music!

• Like 1

Must be fulfilling to know a couple of people that support dictatorship and blatant disregard for the will of the people....

Maybe try talking to the vast majority of Thai people who voted for Yingluck........ Sure, maybe some regret there vote and are fine with the situation...... But most are probably pretty dissatisfied with having their vote trampled on once again by the military.

"the vast majority of Thai people who voted for Yingluck"

A tired old chestnut, and still as inaccurate as ever :-

1. Votes for PTP in 2011, 15.7 million http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_general_election,_2011

2. Many of whom were voting rather for PTP, and their extravagant election-promises, free Samsung tablet-computers & immediate large pay-rises & everyone becoming rich like the Great Thinker within six months, etcetera, not just "for Yingluck"

3. Population of Thailand, 67.7 million https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/th.html

4. 15.7 million is 23.2% of 67.7 million, and that's a long way short of being a "vast majority", I'm afraid. wink.png

Thank you for pointing out the untruthfulness of the latest attempt of reds revisionist history as they are persistent.

thumbsup.gif

• The rice pledging scheme was misguided and poorly managed
  • There was corruption associated with the scheme that led to significant financial losses
What we do NOT know:
  • Whether YL was aware of the corruptions and did nothing to prevent/stop it
  • Whether she personally befitted from the corruption
A lot of people here seem to be missing this distinction and assuming she is guilty of the latter two points without clear evidence.

Also note that almost every national government in western nations sees corruption scandals--bureaucracies are complex and there are huge sums of money at stake--but the national leader is generally not held responsible unless it can be shown that he/she had knowledge or involvement. It should be no different in YL's case.

"....the national leader is generally not held responsible unless it can be shown that he/she had knowledge or involvement."

The policy was tried, tested and found corrupt in its first inception. Then it was re-installed without any improvements to reduce corruption or to increase its performance in directing funds to the claimed recipients. If you know something is crap and say "Let's do it again!" how can you claim lack of knowledge or involvement.

BTW allowing Thaksin access to cabinet meetings is corruption. Allowing Thaksin to systematically bribe MPs is treason.

Just wondering Khun Holloween, if what is said about Thaksin at cabinet meetings and bribing MPs are corruption and treason, why didn't any of the corruption agencies, Dem or the 40 senators plus a cast of thousands who hate Thaksin pick it up. That will put him away for a long long time. Or as usual just your usual frothing at the mouth hyperboling.

Must be fulfilling to know a couple of people that support dictatorship and blatant disregard for the will of the people....

Maybe try talking to the vast majority of Thai people who voted for Yingluck........ Sure, maybe some regret there vote and are fine with the situation...... But most are probably pretty dissatisfied with having their vote trampled on once again by the military.

1. Votes for PTP in 2011, 15.7 million http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_general_election,_2011

2. Many of whom were voting rather for PTP, and their extravagant election-promises, free Samsung tablet-computers & immediate large pay-rises & everyone becoming rich like the Great Thinker within six months, etcetera, not just "for Yingluck"

3. Population of Thailand, 67.7 million https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/th.html

4. 15.7 million is 23.2% of 67.7 million, and that's a long way short of being a "vast majority", I'm afraid. wink.png

How many of the 67.7 million are eligible to vote?

And I believe that the statement was to ask the vast majority of people who voted for Yingluck if they were satisfied with the military rule - not stating that the vast majority of the people voted for Yingluck.

And no, I am not pro Yingluck or her brother, just like to get the proper facts (wherever possible!!!)

Edited by sambum
  • Like 1

The situation with Yingluck is NOT the same as her brother who went to China for the Olympics. He was free on BAIL after having been CHARGED with a criminal offense. Yingluck has not been charged and should be free as any other Thai would be. Her detention is soley due to the power held by the Junta under martial law and Article 44 of the Interim Charter. If the Junta wants to use the rule of law that it touts as being so important to Thai society, it should charge her immediately, grant bail, and forbid her to leave the country.

I don't care about whether the Junta is fair; it needs to be consistent. But it is the nature of the rule of law under a Junta-led government that consistency is only measured by the last thought of its leader.

The Attorney General will submit a subpoena to the Supreme Court on Feb. 19, and wants Yingluck to be present for that, but she want to stay away until at least 22 Feb, so of course she can't go overseas to avoid it.[/size]

TS will just have to Skype her with instructions on what to say. [/size]

Interesting. When Suthep

I think you're supposed to preface that with... "but, but"....

Did you read the wiki you linked to. It says that PTP won 48% of the popular votes (vs. 35% for the Dems). Yes, that does not equate to a 'vast majority'

Good that you agree the old chestnut of declaring "vast majority" is not accurate and truthful.

Perhaps you could even step in and be the first to point that out when the inevitable reposting of that old chestnut occurs.

Just wondering Khun Holloween, if what is said about Thaksin at cabinet meetings and bribing MPs are corruption and treason, why didn't any of the corruption agencies, Dem or the 40 senators plus a cast of thousands who hate Thaksin pick it up. That will put him away for a long long time. Or as usual just your usual frothing at the mouth hyperboling.

If I had to explain it to anybody, I thought it would be you Eric. Thaksin having access to cabinet meetings aka insider trading. Paid MPs voting to the orders and benefits of a corrupt individual rather than the nation is treason IMHO. Both can be assessed with the reasonableness test. Is it reasonable to give one, and only one, individual cabinet access? Is it common practice elsewhere? Was the amnesty legislation reasonable? Ask the Senate.

Why doesn't anybody else makes those claims? I don't know, perhaps they are a surprise for him when he tries to come back.

Whats unhelpful about his comment?If you don't know what happened in Thailand in the last 10 years then maybe google will help if it's not blocked by junta , bkk hiso and royalists

What has any of that to do with Ms. Yingluck possibly being barred from leaving the country?

Apart from the need to keep someone in the country to hear and acknowledge charges so the court case can even proceed if afterwards the accused 'flies away'.

Oh well I remember Suthep postponed his court appointments a few times because he was busy traveling or whatever,just one example what happened in the last 10 yrs

Posting his appearances actually last year. In most of the countries, if you are accused on crime, no show up is considered as an illegal act. He said that time he was busy continuing illegal demonstrations against the government. I think he is this year celebrating 20 years doing so. The most disturbing thing is that he do not need to leave or escape anywhere. When he goes behind the bars, I will start to think Thailand is on the right track...almost. But the positive thing is that he has set the standard. Now opposition (sometimes majority) can just go out to demonstrate, shut down government offices, threat people working there, destroy public property, cause chaos etc. Actually his demonic demonstrations were melting down and that is possible why the army had to jump in. I think most of the people are tired of his acts anyway

One reason given for the urgent need of Suthep once again coming to hear and acknowledge charges was that the DSI court had to line up lots of witnesses for the prosecution. Nothing on the possibility of leaving the country, nothing on fearing the case couldn't proceed without him. Once the Army helped Suthep to find the way to court the court got started and threw out the case telling the OAG to follow the correct procedure. If they felt they had a case they should go to the Supreme Court for Political Office Holders.

At least the OAG is following the right procedure now.

1. The rice pledging scheme was misguided and poorly managed
  2. There was corruption associated with the scheme that led to significant financial losses

What we do NOT know:

1. Whether YL was aware of the corruptions and did nothing to prevent/stop it
  2. Whether she personally befitted from the corruption

Good post. I normally refrain from contributing to these discussions as I do not have the 'inside track' on Thai politics, that some posters purport to have.

All I know is that one day she is a spoilt 'bimbo' who spends all her time shopping and then the next day she is portrayed as a 'scheming corrupt savvy politician' carry out her brothers orders.

I just wish some of the contradictory posters could make up their minds.

• Like 2

How many of the 67.7 million are eligible to vote?

And I believe that the statement was to ask the vast majority of people who voted for Yingluck if they were satisfied with the military rule - not stating that the vast majority of the people voted for Yingluck.

And no, I am not pro Yingluck or her brother, just like to get the proper facts (wherever possible!!!)

Actually

- only Thai people voted, or at least those with Thai ID and registration

- Ms. Yingluck was party list candidate and although gracefully put on #1 that meant that no one could vote for her, only for her (brother's) party.

- although 48% of valid votes, with a group successful in promoting the "no" vote it's more correct to talk about 43% of votes cast.

- for the 2011 general elections the registered electorate was 46,904,823, votes cast 35,469,811

BTW none of this has anything to do with the topic of course rolleyes.gif

Edited by rubl
  • Like 2

Did you read the wiki you linked to. It says that PTP won 48% of the popular votes (vs. 35% for the Dems). Yes, that does not equate to a 'vast majority', but it's certainly a comfortable win by western standards. Percentage of the population is meaningless, as I'm unaware of any democratic countries that give children the right to vote. What's was it that Mark Twain said about lies and statistics?

To those people shouting democratic elections....

Does anybody care for the reasons for those votes? Getting an impossible high price for rice - getting higher salary getting a tablet computer for free, getting rich within 6 months?

Which of those promises were fulfilled? What kind of electorate would vote for those impossible promises?

What is a democratic election worth when the electorate can be so easily manipulated with impossible promises of money?

And don't forget the power of the village headman in the red villages - could anybody afford to vote against their order?

And also don't forget how democratic this "democratic elected government" ruled

Most of u r talking out of your a-----es, u should really read up on what has transpired in the past 10 years before u talk!!

Trust me, some of us have. No clue who you are referring to and really don't care with such a stupid and unhelpful comment.......

Sadly this appears to be the case for a lot of contributors to this thread.

i'm actually quite surprised at how little some posters appear to understand what is happening around them in Thailand -

i really advise some of them to do some reading of the history of Thailand since ww2 and find out for themselves what is going on.

if you don't know why this isn't discussed on the forum then this is your starting point.

In the mean time we may discuss the reports that Ms. Yingluck is barred from travelling in the period 18th to 22nd of February as the OAG expects her to be present at the court on the 19th.

I hardly think discussing a timetable is going to be very interesting. Those of us with an interest in critical thinking are far more interested in the effects this may have on Thailand. In order to do this you'll need to know why this is happening and put it in context - this will not be possible if you have no idea of the political and social history of the country at least since WW2.

Edited by cumgranosalum

Seems this time the Junta wants payback in the form of jail time for Thaksin's sister. Lock her up and they have huge leverage against the big Mr T. If he behaves himself they will ease her sentence if not, well you know. There are no signs that the Junta wants to heal the divide between red and yellow camps. Be prepared to see the Mr T side held down and rubbed in the dirt for some time to come.

There is a difference between the vast majority of Thais voted and the vast majority of Thais WHO voted. Big difference. FYI, one means the vast majority of the total population and the other means the vast majority of the population WHO voted. I'm sure many democracies fail to reach the majority of the population but rather reach a majority of the voting public.

Did you read the wiki you linked to. It says that PTP won 48% of the popular votes (vs. 35% for the Dems). Yes, that does not equate to a 'vast majority', but it's certainly a comfortable win by western standards. Percentage of the population is meaningless, as I'm unaware of any democratic countries that give children the right to vote. What's was it that Mark Twain said about lies and statistics?

To those people shouting democratic elections....

Does anybody care for the reasons for those votes? Getting an impossible high price for rice - getting higher salary getting a tablet computer for free, getting rich within 6 months?

Which of those promises were fulfilled? What kind of electorate would vote for those impossible promises?

What is a democratic election worth when the electorate can be so easily manipulated with impossible promises of money?

And don't forget the power of the village headman in the red villages - could anybody afford to vote against their order?

And also don't forget how democratic this "democratic elected government" ruled

You still don't get it.

If the electorate are lied to with failed policies, they get upset. What can then happen is that they get voted out at the next election. It's not perfect, but sure as hell beats getting the army to march in every few years when they feel the status quo is being impacted upon.

How many times have the Thais had their governments turned over by the army since the 30s? Always some excuse, isn't there? The real reasons are in front of your nose..although that may be too close to your brain to make any difference.

You still don't get it.

We're talking about the Thai electorate. The part which reacts as you suggest is often villified on this forum as backward yellow fascists. The part which will keep on voting for handouts is the group of downtrodden poor who have bound their fate to grass root groups which delivered them to an organisation which has an Amply Rich criminal fugitive as de-facto leader.

• Like 1

Except you have confused thhe POPULATION of Thailand with the ELECTORATE - which is a smaller figure.

in the 2011 election,

The Thai electorate - is about 48,000,000 out of a population of 67 million.

The normal turnout is around 70% = about 34 million

Your figures say 15.7 million voted for Yingluck = just under 50%

Wiki says.........

Pheu Thai 12,211,604 53.0%

Democrat 8,907,140 31.8%

Whichever election you choose the PTP is always the biggest single party and by a long way.

PS - voting is compulsory in Thailand.

Edited by cumgranosalum
  • Like 1

Trust me, some of us have. No clue who you are referring to and really don't care with such a stupid and unhelpful comment.......

Sadly this appears to be the case for a lot of contributors to this thread.

i'm actually quite surprised at how little some posters appear to understand what is happening around them in Thailand -

i really advise some of them to do some reading of the history of Thailand since ww2 and find out for themselves what is going on.

if you don't know why this isn't discussed on the forum then this is your starting point.

In the mean time we may discuss the reports that Ms. Yingluck is barred from travelling in the period 18th to 22nd of February as the OAG expects her to be present at the court on the 19th.

I hardly think discussing a timetable is going to be very interesting. Those of us with an interest in critical thinking are far more interested in the effects this may have on Thailand. In order to do this you'll need to know why this is happening and put it in context - this will not be possible if you have no idea of the political and social history of the country at least since WW2.

Why this is happening? What the effects be on Thailand?

Are we still into 'rule of law' or are we in a mood to ignore law in order to 'guarantee' peace?

So, Ms. Yingluck barred from travelling, much to the annoyance of lots of TVF posters it would seem.

• Like 1

Except you have confused thhe POPULATION of Thailand with the ELECTORATE - which is a smaller figure.

in the 2011 election,

Wiki says.........

Democrat 8,907,140 31.8%

Whichever election you choose the PTP is always the biggest single party and by a long way.

For one there is a difference between 'biggest single party' and 'vast majority of Thai'. Furthermore let's not confuse the 2011 general election figures with unofficial data on the invalidated Feb2 2014 one.

Party Pheu Thai Democrat Popular vote 15,744,190 11,433,762 Percentage 48.41% 35.15%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_general_election,_2011

The EC announced that as many as 20.1 million out of 43.024 million eligible voters submitted votes in 68 provinces where voting was not disrupted by protestors, with 71.38 percent of those ballots valid, 12.05 percent invalid and 16.57 percent "no-vote".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_general_election,_2014

• Like 2

in the 2011 election,

Wiki says.........

Democrat 8,907,140 31.8%

For one there is a difference between 'biggest single party' and 'vast majority of Thai'. Furthermore let's not confuse the 2011 general election figures with unofficial data on the invalidated Feb2 2014 one.

Party Pheu Thai Democrat Popular vote 15,744,190 11,433,762 Percentage 48.41% 35.15%

The EC announced that as many as 20.1 million out of 43.024 million eligible voters submitted votes in 68 provinces where voting was not disrupted by protestors, with 71.38 percent of those ballots valid, 12.05 percent invalid and 16.57 percent "no-vote".

Whichever way your read it Ricardo''s post was misinformed and wildly inaccurate - if you want to engage in semantics, i'd suggest it is because you don't really have an argument at all.....However - I'd also suggest that the phrase "tired old chestnut" is a lot more subjective than any terms used by InBangkok than any

here's a nice pie chart to underline the results.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/18/Circle_frame.svg/200px-Circle_frame.svg.png

BTW - any reference to "no votes" is pure and unsubstantiated speculation - you also don't seem to understand that irregularities in election apply to ALL parties

in the 2011 election,

Wiki says.........

Democrat 8,907,140 31.8%

Whichever way your read it Ricardo''s post was misinformed and wildly inaccurate - if you want to engage in semantics, i'd suggest it is because you don't really have an argument at all.....However - I'd also suggest that the phrase "tired old chestnut" is a lot more subjective than any terms used by InBangkok than any

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/18/Circle_frame.svg/200px-Circle_frame.svg.png

BTW - any reference to "no votes" is pure and unsubstantiated speculation - you also don't seem to understand that irregularities in election apply to ALL parties

Whichever way your reply reminds me of Mattheüs 7:3-5

Excuses, native English speakers may know this chap as "Matthew"

Edited by rubl

The problem is ...Who will want to be an elected PM ever again in this democracy. Even the American democracy did not impeach or lock up the discredited resigned President Nixon. He spent the rest of his life in disgrace but not prison. Afterall she was the overall winner of the last election and represented Thailand to the world especially during the horrendous floods. A little humility would go a long way in the world's eyes.

• Like 2

"..any reference to "no votes" is pure and unsubstantiated speculation......"

Why is that?

There was a sustained campaign urging people to vote "No" and the EC clearly reported the results of that campaign. Where the No votes may have otherwise gone IS speculation, but they are a genuine sign of disaffection with those seeking election. Might I suggest that the ~12% of invalid votes may also include No votes with a more specific message?